Haro 1999 Escape A7.3 Hardtail Bike

4.21/5 (14 Reviews)

1999 Haro Escape A7.3, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett T2, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by D T a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    V-Bar design top tube
XT Rear Deraileur
LX Shifters
2001 Rock Shox Judy SL Fork - not stock

Weaknesses:    Weak cables
Flimsy, weak cable housings
Cables cause rub marks on frame - Bad cable design

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike used off of E-Bay. Never bought a bike online before, but this was a great experience. It is the polished aluminum color, which I like better, instead of the blue.

Bike is fairly lightweight and easy to navigate. I do a lot of night riding and sometimes have to make quicker decisions than riding during the day, the bike tracks well and goes where I tell it. Adding the XT 9-Speed Upgrade Kit smoothed the gears out a great deal, but this was probably because nothing had been done to the bike other than an upgrade to the front fork.

Cables tend to get dirty if not cleaned and lubed often. The front derailleur is bottom pull so if you ride in a lot of mud, be prepared to clean this area after your ride.

Overall a great bike. I see myself using this frame for as long as it lasts and simply upgrading components over time. If your in the market for this bike, don't pass it up.

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   Stock :: frame, cables & housing, tires, wheels, hubs, crankset, headset, seatpost, handlebar, and grips.
XT 9-Speed Upgrade Kit :: XT Rear Derailleur, XT 9-Speed Cassette, XT chain, and XT shifters.
Saddle :: Trek - more cushion than the WTB saddle.
Brakes :: Tektro Quartz V-Brakes and levers.
Light :: 2003 NiteRider Digital Evolution.
Fork :: 2001 Rock Shox Judy SL.
Pedals :: Shimano SPD - forget which ones.
Future Upgrades :: RaceFace Crankset, new V-Brake levers - undecided which ones, front disc brake, Mavic front disc specific wheel, Mavic rear wheel, and new wider tires.

Submitted by ben a Weekend Warrior from Virginia

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Strengths:    This is a very very good bike for me. I have just stardted mountain biking alot more since they have built the trails by my house. The weight of the bike is suprising and the frame is indestructable.

Weaknesses:    The rock shox jett fork. the seat is also a little too hard for my liking but im going to keep it.

Bottom Line:
Get this bike!!! It was a $700 bike and i got it for 400! It makes me feel special that im riding a 700 bike. If you want a rough tough bike with front suspension then go buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut creek Park

Purchased At:   Cycle Recycle

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M80

Bike Setup:   Bar ends

Submitted by nathan a Cross Country Rider from north carolina

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    Great all around XC machine. Sexiest blue color ever

Weaknesses:    Jett fork made of cheese

Bottom Line:
great bike, fast light, get a better fork and you are set

Favorite Trail:   tight twisty singletack

Purchased At:   Action cycles, Marion NC

Similar Products Used:   trek Y11

Bike Setup:   Judy Dh single crown, xt lx mix

Submitted by Dean a Cross Country Rider from Reading, PA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    XT rear Der.
LX shifters
strong frame
light

Weaknesses:    Jett shock
tires
clipless pedals?

Bottom Line:
It's a good bike for around $500. The Jett shock constantly bottomed out and had horrible rebound. The tires wore after about 100 miles of riding. After a few hundred dollars in upgrades, the bike is really nice.

Bike Setup:   Judy Race shock, Ritchey wcs clipless pedals, control tech bar ends, Specialized team kevlar tires

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2000

Strengths:    Pretty light(frame), good looks, bent top tube

Weaknesses:    Weak paint job, not light enough, came with craptacular components

Bottom Line:
This bike is alright. I also have a Santa Cruz Heckler, which makes this thing look like horse poo. The Jetts bottom out on anything, and I only weigh 140lbs. The thing seems relativly well-made, and it works well for the price. It would be great as a first bike because it's pretty cheap, but it goes with the bottom of the higher-end bike otherwise.

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Similar Products Used:   the usual

Bike Setup:   Haro A7.3, LX, XT, mostly STX-RC, Jett C

Submitted by Ace G. from Houston

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Strengths:    Frame is very light and durable. WTB rims are sturdy and light. XT in the rear is nice!

Weaknesses:    Can't ask too much for the price I paid.

Bottom Line:
With a little work this bike is ready to race. The frame is very light and with an XT in the rear you can't go wrong. I upgrade the shocks, the cranks and a couple other features for comfort and this bike rocks. I plan to start racing this year and I don't see myself getting another bike anytime soon. Comparable bikes start at 800, I got mine at 525. All this and the bike is very nice looking as well. You can't go wrong if you get this bike under 650. You can upgrade a couple things and have a bike that will last a long time and able to race if you so desire. And if this is your first bike, you'll have to spend about 1000 on your next in order to tell the difference.

Favorite Trail:   Ho Chi Min

Similar Products Used:   Doesn't matter

Bike Setup:   manitou spider-r, changed riser bar for flat bar and onyx bar ends, LX v-brakes, susp. seatpost and serfas rx seat, bontrager race cranks, velociraptor tires, clipless pedals

Submitted by Tripp Foster a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2000

Strengths:    strong frame. I weight 250 pounds it takes a beating from me without blinking.

Weaknesses:    the front derailleur and crank seem light for me.

Bottom Line:
a great first mountain bike defintely for the more aggressive rider. iam now hungry for my first fullsuspension downhill bike. obviously one that can take a beating.

Favorite Trail:   Wissachikon

Submitted by DigiToast a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2000

Strengths:    Very light frame and stock components are good.

Weaknesses:    Front Fork (Jett T2).

Bottom Line:
This bike is simply wonderful. It responds quickly and handles nicely. The light frame is a big advantage to the bike. The weight of the bike is surprising, I almost threw it into the air when my dealer placed it into my hands the first time. I was completely caught off-guard by the light frame. The quality of the frame is also very good. I've tortured it and thrown it around with drops/falls and it has survived with no problems at all. My only complaint is the front fork that doesn't quite fit my personal needs. It bottoms now and then for me (I weight 170lbs).

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000

Bike Setup:   Stock Setup

Submitted by Ace a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX , USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Strengths:    This is a very light bike, good initial componants, bent frame has saved my manhood a couple times!

Weaknesses:    have found no real issues as of yet. but if i had to pick one it would be the tires. (they suffice)

Bottom Line:
I am very happy so far with the performance of the bike. With a few adjustments I made the bike fit me like a glove. I got a really good price for this bike which makes another plus. Next is an upgrade to the Judy or maitou shock but not until this jett t2 wears out. P.S. Hey Crocodile Dundee, quit giving bogus reviews just cause your pissed at haro, people want to know about the bike, not the manufacturer. Go back under, your not finished yet!

Favorite Trail:   Ho Chi Min

Similar Products Used:   gt rebound, g.f. marlin

Bike Setup:   lengthened stem, straigt bar, susp. seatpost

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Chicago,IL

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1999

Strengths:
Agile, quick, strong, light, looks.

Weaknesses:
I have to make adjustments with seat and stem to make up for short head tube.

Bottom Line:
Really fun frame, great for technical and uphill riding, not great for long cross country riding. Stong as hell, I have no complaints!

Kettle Moraine

6 months

Stumpjumper

Shimano XT, Marzocci Bomber shock.

Submitted by Bruzer a Cross-Country Rider from Tauranga

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent value again, I upgraded from the HARO 7.2 which I enjoyed. Light, and excellent frame...feels strong. WTB Hubs Strong

Weaknesses:
Front forks it comes with...But up graded these.

Bottom Line:
Great strong yet light bike, excellent frame. Once components upgraded makes it an excelent machine...jumped it to death and nothing has bent...I guess you can tell I like this Bike!

Rotorua

3 months

HARO 7.2, Specialized stump jumper, Avavta Agressor, khs.

Change forks to Rock Shox Judy xc, up graded crankset to LX, Up graded brakes to LX.

Submitted by Seann a Weekend Warrior from Boston,MA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Strengths:
Frame, LX shifters and rder, color

Weaknesses:
Jett T2 fork

Bottom Line:
This was a great bike overall. My LBS was offering it at $560. I almost bought it. Luckily my LBS had trails behind the store with varying terrain. i had the shocks tightened all the way and I still bottomed out several times on roots and rocks. I weigh 180 lbs. On flat, twisty terrain, the bike handled beautifully. It was very quick and comfortable. If not for the fork, I would have bought it. iwould recommend to lighter riders or riders who don't want to go over roots, rocks, fallen trees, etc. or trade in the shock for an upgrade. I would have done that, but the LBS sold me a Kona Cinder Cone for $600. There was no hesitation there. The bike deserves 5 burning turds but I give it 4 because of the Jett shock.

tested or demo'ed only

Kona NuNu, KHS Alite 1000, Schwinn Moab 1,
GF Kaitai, Kona Cinder Cone

Stock

Submitted by Frank Krol a Weekend Warrior from Lansing Mi.

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1999

Strengths:
Nice ride stance, great rapid fires, strong brakes yeehaw, looks wicked! easy to toss around.

Weaknesses:
Chain broke first time out. grips slip right from the shop.

Bottom Line:
My wife freaked when I spent 710+tax on a bike. She has since bought the 7.0 and now I tow a baby trailer with my quazi race bike. I love it! Good in the rocky trails and gets up quick! I got a freakin jem for a good price! This thing has top notch components for a novice like me. I may change the clips when I learn more about them. My buddy made me look sick on my old bike, now I can keep up with him and he's been on his Specialized for 3 years WOOHOO! The guy at the shop is now swinging me some serious deals on garb too!

Rose Lake Game Area

3 months

Old Canadian rigid fraim. Now it is my beater up to the store bike.

Bar ends

Submitted by Tom Stuart a Weekend Warrior from Gloucester NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: May 9, 1999

Strengths:
Specification Combination and Price. Feels light.

Weaknesses:
Specs are different than in brochure. Seat post only 27.2 not 31.6 as in specs. Would have been terrible if I ordered a suspension seatpost based on specs wouldn't it!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Went to Haro Web site to ask about differences in spec. Have to send snail mail letter to America. You don't want to hear what people complain about do you ... so I won't say anything good either!!!!!!

Mud Hut Rd via Copeland

less than 1 month

Diamond Back - lot heavier feel.

Similar to spec except for seatpost and Xt rear derailleur.