Haro 1999 Escape A7.1 Hardtail Bike

4.42/5 (19 Reviews)

1999 Haro Escape A7.1, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett C, 1.9" travel fork

Submitted by Jonathan Cobbold a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Strengths:    Very nice looking bike with some good basic equipment and a super light frame.It's nearest competitor is say £800.It handles very well on death defying downhill jaunts

Weaknesses:    It is not that light once all the equipment is all added on.I had a big fall yesterday when i went for a jump - my mates Marin coped fine but this and me on it did not like the drop the otherside!I could do it on his and i think that its the weight and the poor front shocks that let me down

Bottom Line:
On the road or the flat in the forests it shoots along it is very fast.Uphill even quite steep is not a problem for it.

Over large hills and then down the other side is great - it does twist a bit at the front but less than the £890 Marin!

It is not man enough for jumps however and i will give thise a miss.That loss is a small price to pay

Talking of which i see that i paid £300 but it is still available for less - a good starter bike and at that price you just cant go wrong

I hope that it will be a few years before i need another - but the kids want it already

Favorite Trail:   Brandon dlack trail

Purchased At:   Cycle king

Similar Products Used:   None this is the first suspension that i have had

Bike Setup:   As from shop

Submitted by Jonathan Faro a Cross Country Rider from Essex, England

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is great. They tyres where good and the saddles should be great for a beginner. At it'sprice it's light and nothing major has broken so strength

Weaknesses:    The wheels are heavy. The drivetrains low end and the forks are a nightmare. Also my rear axle went like another reviwer. The saddles to soft for an experianced rear end

Bottom Line:
The bikes a great start or upgrade platform. I recently stripped my bike for a service and the frame is light. The rear hub, well both hubs are inhouse Haro branded and these are terrable. The seals double the resistance caused by the bearings and my rear axle snapped. I don't jump or do DH and I'm 9 stone. The components are basic but I've had no problems. The pedals where the first thing to die and I couldnt be bothered to service them as they where rubbish. SPD's are a good buy to go with it. The brake pads have worn extremly well. I got about 6 mnonths out of my front ones and thats in the grinding paste you get from english weather. The wheels as a whole really let the bike down as do the forks which are terrable. I'm fitting P2's to mine as I want to save some weight. My Bottom bracket seized and when I took it out it was an extremly cheap one with a rubber ring as sealing. I've had ones on £90 bikes which are better.

Gripes aside it's helped me improve as a biker and I woudl recomend it to anyone. Especialy on a budget as it cna be added to and the frame is worth a lot more.

One concern is I wanted to ask Haro for the spec (when replacing my BB) but they didnt reply.

Jonathan

Favorite Trail:   None it's being made into a housing estate

Purchased At:   £240 from cycleking Chelmsford

Similar Products Used:   None it was my first "proper" mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Fairly stock but with VP104 SPD's New tyres (over zealous use of v brakes) and a new saddle.

Submitted by Dane Callahan a Weekend Warrior from Good Hope, Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, light weight frame
V-bar, for those times you miss the pedals
Strength in tires- hard to taco
Pedal radius

Weaknesses:    have not found one yet

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is best quality of bike for your money! The Haro Mountain bike has one more championships then any other bike in the USA. With Rock Shox this bike is next to top of the line in front suspension bikes. In addition to great front suspension this bike has great Shimono brakes and gears. The Escape A7.1 has a strong, light weight frame, durable tires, and a great pedal radius.

Favorite Trail:   Convington Horsepark

Purchased At:   Loganville Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   1999 Haro Escape A7.1

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Nebraska

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2000

Strengths:    speed, frame, brakes

Weaknesses:    components (wheels mainly)

Bottom Line:
given I'm a fairly large guy (235 lbs.), within the first two rides I completely F*CKED the hell out of my front rim. Two rides later I bent the rear axle and blew the hell out of the rear hub. If you are going to ride any off trail or or even just jump over some roots, don't get this bike. It's worth it to spend the extra $200 to get a better bike with better components rather than to spend the $200 buying wheels and other components. I recomend a Trek 6500-7500 that will have better components. The suspension is also alot better on the 6500-7500 (Rock Shox Judy C i think) YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Similar Products Used:   Old P.O.S. Huffy

Bike Setup:   Factory, planing on upgrading soon though

Submitted by dave west a Cross Country Rider from denton, tx

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Strengths:    strong, light, great price,

Weaknesses:    crappy components

Bottom Line:
This is a great frame, but the parts it comes with doesn't do it justice. Those clip pedals went fast. Put on a pair of BMX dirt race pedals. I didn't care about the weight, just the performance and I hate clippless. And a new handle bar. The stock one weighs a ton. My front end was like a feather afterword. But the frame; I have been riding awhile and this frame performs. I have beet the crap out of it and it hasn't budged. No creaks, no cracks, nothin. Only thing busted is me. Its responsive, fast, agile, and the v-bar design, oh, it has saved me from GREAT pain many a time. I was a skeptic when I bought it, but for the price and the performance, now I'm a believe. Get this bike.

Favorite Trail:   johnsons branch

Purchased At:   wheels in motion

Similar Products Used:   stumpjumper, caad4,

Bike Setup:   new pedals, handlebars, hopefully more

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, TX, Tarrant

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Cheap, Looks

Weaknesses:    Garbage parts, terrible seat

Bottom Line:
Ok bike for the money. Dont ride this thing to hard or all the Alivo parts will fly off. If you are light in the pockets and take it easy on the trails this bike is for you. The best thing about this bike is the frame, its solid. Scrap the front shock as soon as possible. It may as well be ridged for all the travel it has.

Favorite Trail:   Sneaky Peets

Similar Products Used:   K2 5000 Proflex

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Alan a Weekend Warrior from Plano, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Strengths:    Light frame, great components.

Bottom Line:
The is an all around great bike. I've had it for 6 months and ridden it often and its held up well. Can't by a better bike for the money.

Submitted by Darren Barlass a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2000

Strengths:    Low pricing. Great starter bike (Well it's got me hooked to MTB-ing)

Weaknesses:    Rock shox Jett fork - Short travel, Kicks back over really bumpy ground.
Saddle - Far to soft (okay if you like your backside numb!)

Bottom Line:
For my first MTB I'm well pleased with this bike. I tested a few other bikes before going for this one & was impressed with it's acceleration & control. I've had a crack on a mate's Marin-Hawk hill & Specialized-Rockhopper which are both nice bikes but I seem to be able to chuck this around quicker than both of them. The brakes are great in the dry but not so good in wet conditions. The Shimanoe-Acera gears work okay but the chain-set seems a bit clunky at times. The Jet-rock shox are okay but they kick up a lot over very bumby ground. Oh & the saddle's far to soft which leaves you numb after long rides!
Overall I think this bike is a bargain for the price especially for beginners like myself. I've had loads of fun on mine in the short time I've owned it.