GT 2001 Aggressor Hardtail Bike

4.23/5 (82 Reviews)

Submitted by sa sharrikh shimar a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2012

Strengths:    ITS REALLY A GREAT AND A OUTSTANDING ONE FOR A STOPPIE OR WHEELING!! BRAKES ARE JUST AWSOME...

Weaknesses:    THE ONLY WEAKNESS IS THE GRIP...:(

Bottom Line:
ITS A GREAT BIKE!

Purchased At:   BSA SHOWROOM

Submitted by ameyer6565 a Weekend Warrior from Laramie Wyoming

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Great frame, great quick handling, good seat and seatpost

Weaknesses:    Almost everything needs to be upgraded, rims tires crank/bottom bracket, fork, derailleurs, pedals, no rear disc mount, grips wear pretty poorly

Bottom Line:
This bike has a bulletproof frame even for a big guy like me (210 lbs), however all the stock components suck pretty hard, the rims bent without even hitting any big jumps, upgraded right away, fork broke while doing a wheelie (rock shox jett), upgraded, bottom bracket and crankset shot, derailleurs pretty worn (6 years so to be expected) however the bike handles great turns quick and precisley, very easy to go faster than necessary on single track and a real blast to ride once the kinks are worked out. Had this bike for quite a while and plannin on keepin it for alot longer.

Favorite Trail:   Aspen Loop

Purchased At:   Alive Outside North

Similar Products Used:   trek 4300

Bike Setup:   xl frame, rhyno lite xl rims panaracer tires, shimano deore hubs, rock shox judy fork (80mm travel), shimano spd pedals

Submitted by lorenzo a Weekend Warrior from miami

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Strengths:    Dollar for dollar best bike around. My bike has been through hell and back and is still going strong. Very sturdy and low maintenance. It taken tons of abuse and never even had to get a tune up.

Weaknesses:    rear brakes can't be converted to disc brakes

Favorite Trail:   markham/oleta

Purchased At:   american cycle

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by turbo a Weekend Warrior from whittier, CA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    durable, tough

Weaknesses:    original chain

Bottom Line:
bought in june 2002 as my first adult bike to start hobby while attempting to get in shape. have rode bike approx. 24 miles (my longest trip) this bike has never failed me after replacing original chain and upgrading tires with puncture proof road tires. Love this bike. looking to buy my wife a GT mountain bike

Favorite Trail:   san gabriel river bed

Purchased At:   bellflower bikes

Bike Setup:   replaced original tires with armadillo road tires

Submitted by Kyle Dowdy a Cross Country Rider from Abilene, Texas 79606

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2006

Strengths:    Durability! Oh man i have fallen off of massive drops crashed into trees and more over i have put it thought hell...and yeah she's still as good as ever.

Weaknesses:    Front shocks, i still need to replace these bad boys.... they were okay in the begining but the moment i need them to come through it was as if i didnt have any at all.

Bottom Line:
I got the bike for the desire to start a new hobby and reccomend it for just that. its proved itself from my beginer - advanced riding...i am wanting to purchase a new bike, but i cant seem to stop wanting to Riding the one i've Got. beautiful, sturdy, and just plain fun.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky/Flat

Purchased At:   Off a Friend

Submitted by Jose Rodriguez a Weekend Warrior from Sunrise, FL

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2005

Strengths:    frame, stem, stealth looks, upgradeability

Weaknesses:    stock parts

Bottom Line:
Original price of my bike was $200 but after upgrades it is $600. I have pretty much converted this bike into a commuter bike (because I usually ride on the street)although all it nees to go trail riding is a change of tires. Peyton at BICYCLE SPOT in Oakland Park, Florida is my mechanic and is a great guy to talk bikes with, thanks.
Now that I have made all th upgrades I wanted to, I plan to ride this bike the way it is for at least 2 more years.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park - Update to previous review

Bike Setup:   manitou axel comp fork w/lockout, Vuelta Xrp wheelset, WTB saddle, tomac handlebar, lizard skin lock-on grips, clipless pedals, XT rear derailleur, Cateye computer, double water bottle mounts, nitehawk raptor lighting system, commuter accessories like rear rack, THE fenders, seat bag, frame pump

Submitted by Jose Rodriguez a Weekend Warrior from Sunrise, FL

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    Stealth looks, frame, stem, upgradeable

Weaknesses:    rear brake, wheels, weight aprox. 32 pounds

Bottom Line:
This bike was purchased unused on ebay.com from a bikeshop. It sat around for at least 2 full years before I bought it. The original price was aprox. $450. I paid $100+60shipping+30assembly=$190 - a bargain. I have used it for fitness, mostly in my neighborhood and also at the trails of my local park. My bottom line now is - should I continue upgrading the bike or invest in a new one?

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Bike Setup:   Upgraded wheels, handlebar, pedals, seat, will upgrade - rear derailleur, shifters. I have decaled the bike and added yellow housing which everybody likes...

Submitted by alex clarke a Racer from chiichester, england

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2004

Strengths:    frame, looks of frame, ride when upgraded, ease of upgrading.

Weaknesses:    almost eeverything except the frame and the seatpost, but i upgraded it all. also lack of disc brake moount at back which i plan to weld on

Bottom Line:
buy only if you plan to upgrade. when upgraded they rule. also if you dont want to upgrade buy anyway, and then you have to upgrade when stuff breaks.
This frame is trapped by bolloks componentry but when set free it rules!

Favorite Trail:   south downs (downwards!)

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   specialised hardrock, which i thought rode as well as a three legged donkey on stilts, but thats just me.

Bike Setup:   halo sas's on diatech hubs, truativ husselfelt oversize bars and stem, fox vanilla 130 rlc's, maxxis dh high rollers, truvativ husselfelt dh chainset and bb, sram chain, magura julie disc on front, specialised durango grips, dmr v8 pedals and a dmr dirt saddle.

Submitted by Jeffo a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2004

Strengths:    Way solid frame; good price for the beginner; upgradable

Weaknesses:    Stock components are low quality, but of course, the price is low. Derailuer hanger can cause trouble.

Bottom Line:
Growing up in the 80's, GT was the standard in BMX. This bike feels a lot like those rigs. I bought mine new in '01 and over the years have replaced everything except the frame itself. The frame has proven to be able to take relentless abuse -- and I really beat the hell out of this thing, sometimes even intentionally (until I started getting more serious about the sport and my subsequent bikes cost a lot more). I still keep this ride around as a spare/backup, and I still love it a lot, even with it's dents and marks. Through the abuse, the frame remains straight. The only real issue (excluding cheap components of the original configuration) is the suspect derail hanger. This has been known to bend and produce unreliable shifting, but it's been cool for the last couple years w/o replacement. With technologies progressing w/re: to materials, I'm considering replacing this frame with something lighter, but I'll still hang onto it as a parts mule at least.

Favorite Trail:   Vulture's Knob; Mohican

Bike Setup:   Full XT drive train; Avid single digit 7 v-brakes; LX/Mavic rims; Marzocci Marathon SL forks

Submitted by Gino a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Strengths:    Great all-around!

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I'm mainly a roadie and have very expensive road bikes compared to the cost of the GT. I have not changed one thing on this bike and it handles everything I dish out. Huge nobby tires are great on the trail and the frame is indestructible, but it is also comfortable on the road. I would take this bike anywhere!

Purchased At:   Dick's

Bike Setup:   all stock

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, rapid fire shifters

Weaknesses:    grips, wheels, bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
The frame geometry is great, nice cockpit. The shifters and derailers are good. The wheelset sucks. If I hit an obstacle with any kind of force the rims bend. I have given up repairing them, the next time they bend they are history. I had to get the bottom bracket replaced after 2 years of riding.

Purchased At:   Belmont Wheel Works

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Ross Neilson a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Great frame, unbelievable balance and handling. Light and the polished aluminum is better than paint.

Weaknesses:    Horrible rims, low end components. Stock fork sucks.

Bottom Line:
This was my first bike, and I had no idea if I would like the sport. The price was right, and the guy told me that it was an amazing frame and I could upgrade if I got into it. He was right. I've riden many other XC bikes, and none have the feel and balance of this frame. I bought another bike (a Norco) for downhilling, but for the trails I love this bike. You'll need to upgrade the rims right away, but the rest of the components should last a few months. A fork upgrade is a must as the Rock Shock Jett that mine came with was more like a crappy pogo stick.

Favorite Trail:   Kanata Lakes or Fortune

Similar Products Used:   Low end specialized or giant.

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, stock brakes, but upgraded pads and cables (XT V brake in rear and Hayes disk up front next upgrade).
Mavic 517 rim up front and 519 in the back. Michelin Wildgripper in back, Hutchinson on the rocks up front.
Fork upgraded to Marzocchi MX Comp with ETA (kick ass fork!)

Submitted by andy a Racer from CO DOWN

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    BEST BIKE EVER

Weaknesses:    WHAT WEAKNESSES

Bottom Line:
I LOVE IT BEST BIKE FOR ON ROAD AND OFF ROAD EVERY SOULD HAVE ONE

Purchased At:   ???????????????????????????

Submitted by A. a Cross Country Rider from Timmins, ON Canada

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Strengths:    Cool frame, ball burnished aluminum, kickass geometry. nice upgrade bike. looks sweet. best bike for the money in 2001.

Weaknesses:    stock rock shox jett's, sucky front deraileur. weak rims. pro max breaks are pro junk.

Bottom Line:
bought this bike cuz it was the best i could afford. plus, ball burnished frame doesn't look like crap like a chipped paint frame.

flow down a rocky mountain at 50 km/hr. jetts bottomed out pretty much whole way, blew out rear Tioga Factory XC tire. replaced with Intense comp 60 (heavy!).

went over bars on a single track, rear rime taco'd. replaced with rhyno lite (never out of true!). same wipe out bent deore rear deraileur. replaced with XT. same time replaced weak pro max brakes with deore.

replaced intense and tioga tires with wtb velociraptors. very nice tires.

i think it got heavier after i changed the rims and tires. no matter, the bike kicks ass, and it's way better than the new aggressors. bought it to upgrade, which i did. now i have a $1500+ bike. could have bought a new bike, but didn't. plus, i got the only one in town!

Favorite Trail:   anything not paved

Purchased At:   Kunstadt's Sports

Similar Products Used:   canadian tire crap

Bike Setup:   XT rear deraileur, crankset, bottom bracket; deore front deraileur, shifter/levers, brakes, hubs; rhyno lites, velociraptors, marzocchi mx comp w/eta, shimano spd m515

Submitted by Tipsy Russell a Downhiller from Pawcatuck

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Strengths:    Everything! This bike is awesome! Even though it came to me semi-upgraded, its still a low budget higher end bike that will last for a while. Super strong TRIPLE TRIANGLE frame, fine gussets, and good components spec (from what ive read)

Weaknesses:    Umm, that i cant get it to glimmer anymore. Tisk tisk. And the paint isnt very thick either.

Bottom Line:
SWEET frame! I use this for trials and its lasted so long! I bought it from my uncle who used it for trials/freeride, and they bought it from someone too, but its still PERFECT except for scratches. Super strong frame, WICKED LIGHT! I can barely feel it under my feet when im pedal hopping, and it feels perfect off of hard, screwy landings. Oh how I luv it. Could maybe put some more gussets so I could run a bigger fork, but the Rock Sux Jett is soo cool with blown springs and seals in it-its so light and teaches you how to land smooth and light. And the paint-make it thicker!

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Point cliff face at the end of the FR trail