GT 2000 Zaskar LE Hardtail Bike

4.5/5 (16 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Richard Cooper a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2004

Strengths:    Three years later and still going!

Weaknesses:    Pacific bought GT.

Bottom Line:
This bike is still running, even after every stupid thing I threw at it.
No more jumping, no more downhill, no more stair gaps and loading dock drops. I have a whole new bike for that now.
This bike is now fine tuned for climbing up the side of a mountain. It is still on the heavy side for a race bike because of the super bomb wheel set and custom built Marzocchi fork (just a tad over 30lb.), but that means it can blast through some terrain that will blow your crappy little SID and ultralight wheels to so much scrap. (I am serious. the wheels were borrowed onto a FR hardtail for some downhilling and jumping. They came off of several runs through rock gardens and casing curbs and 6' drops to flat pavement straight as an arrow. Pinch flats dont count. Contact Multnomah Bike Shop for the bombest wheels you will ever ride.)
Until this bike literally falls to pieces beneath me I will ride and race it with pleasure and sneer at the wussies pedaling along on their nice, plush, comfy, light, full suspension XC racing rigs, while i punish my ass and spine on rough traverses and climbs.
After my baby dies (anyone who knows a reputable 'taxidermist' should contact me), and after the appropriate mourning period, I suppose I will have to upgrade to an inferior product like an Intense Spyder or a Blur, or a Turner or something like that.

In the meantime, that dumbass you see hiding in the bushes doing something questionable with the ancient blue and yellow ride? That will be me....

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Nothing compares to my sweet, sweet ride. You could call it love, if you wish.

Bike Setup:   Only the best for my sweetie. RaceFace/XTR drivetrain. Custom Marzocchi sliders. Thompson bars, post. Hope Minis. The lightest/strongest wheels you could find, Azonic PTW's on velocity hubs, built 4x by the wheel buddah. Currently running Panaracer Fire 2.1's.

Submitted by Jeremy Chandler a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2003

Strengths:    Durability, price, standout paint job (team yellow and blue)you either love or hate it, handles like a dream Tuff as nails

Weaknesses:    None, clearly this bike was not ment to be jumped of anything huge and if you did it would probably break...duh! otherwise best high performance racing/XC frames ever!, if you want to beat something around buy a ruckus they're gret for huckin'=)(got one too) or even better, a huffy and paint it however you like if you think the paint's ugly =)

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike that has always performed very well. I've beaten the hell out of it wrecking and racing over the past years and it's only asked for more. Only concern is I'm running low on extra derailleur hangars, so if anyone knows where I can get some I would love to hear about it as I love my bike. I believe this bike is best suited for the XC geek who like ot ocassionally bomb and likes a good solid feel on the ocassional let it loose descent, it may not be the lightest but it's definitely the strongest for it's weight.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge, Pisgah (NC) trails

Purchased At:   Warehouse in CA in late 2001

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki pinnacle, GT LTS2, GT ricochet

Bike Setup:   Fullt XTR 02', avid 1.9 sl brakes/levers, easton EC70 Bar, can creek grips, wtb saddle (stock), time carbon, mavic 517 wheelset, michelin tires, azonic stem, chris king headset, sid SL 100, thompson seatpost....tips scales around 24 lbs good solid stable weight and couls still drop a pound or two easy

Submitted by Cliff Ker a Cross Country Rider from Chatsworth, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    It was great until the frame cracked.

Weaknesses:    Cracked frame and no warranty help from GT

Bottom Line:
Scratch everything I said before about my Zaskar. It was a great bike until the top tube cracked right at the seat post tube weld. Pacific Cycles/GT wouldn't honor the warranty so I was SOL. I had the guys at the shop transfer the parts to a Gary Fisher Paragon and I have since bought a great Ellsworth Isis. Too bad, as I have a '94 Zaskar that has a blem frame that is still in great condition.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth Mountain

Purchased At:   Valley Bicycles, Chatsworth

Submitted by Kix Expert a Cross Country Rider from Stony Brook, NY USA

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Strengths:    Light, great Geometry, responsive, stiff frame

Weaknesses:    the part that... the other part... wait... nah, nothing weak about this frame

Bottom Line:
WOW, what else can I say about good old GT Frames, I ditched my GT avalanche frame and spend a lot of $$ to get an Ellsworth Sub22 frame, and only took me 2 rides before I decided to sell the Sub22 and bite my lips to get another GT Zaskar Frame simply because the Sub 22 was too... not for me, and GT just climbs that much easier, that much faster, that much sweeter...

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Sub22, GT Avalanche(96 and 00), Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Zaskar Fram; RS Duke SL Fork; Chris King Headset; XTR Shifters/FD/RD/BB/Crank set; XT Brake levers; Hayes HMX Disc brake set, Sun Rims Disc-O-Jockey Wheelset; Monkey CT2 Low riser bar, EA70 100m 0deg rise stem, XTR seatpost, Selle Italia Centry saddle

Submitted by Richard Cooper a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2002

Strengths:    Super light, strong bike. Great geometry and a comfortable cockpit. Climbs like a mountain goat.

Weaknesses:    Tough to keep the front tire on the ground in steep, technical climbs in low gear. Then again, it could be the 130mm travel in the fork.

Bottom Line:

I used this bike for urban assault, XC, and downhill before I understood what the frame was built for. It has taken all the 5' urban assault drops, stair gaps, boulder pits and other stupid crap I did to it without complaint.
Its now a strictly XC machine and I have gained the skills to really appriciate the bike. I've ridden some other bikes, a Marin, a Fisher, a KHS, and a Homegrown for comparison. Only the Homegrown was close to as nice.
Buy this frame and spec it yourself. Worth every penny.
Im having fits about finding a 2000 replacement frame when this one finally gives up the ghost, as I am not to impressed by the integrated headset idea.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis River Trail, Ape Canyon trail, Falls Creek trail, anything northshore

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   GT Talera (broken), Mongoose IBOC (ancient), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain (soon to be raceface), Azonic A Frame pedals, XT/XTR V brakes (soon to be disc), Marzocchi Z1 MCR (problematic), Azonic Chubby risers and Shorty stem, Velocity disc hubs laced 4-cross to Azonic PTW rims (indestructable, seriously), XT levers and LX shifters (modified with pliers to fit the Chubby bar), and strung with Jagawire just for the goddamn cool factor.

Submitted by Cliff Ker a Cross Country Rider from Chatsworth, California USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2001

Strengths:    Everything. It's light, sturdy, responsive, and reliable.

Weaknesses:    I changed the stock pedals and put Shimanos on it.

Bottom Line:
I have put 5,600 miles on this baby in a year and a half and it still rides like a champ. I can't imagine a better bike.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth Mt. Bike Park

Purchased At:   Valley Bicycles, Chatsworth

Submitted by Anthony Procissi a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2001

Strengths:    Weight, stability/geometry, components, speed!

Weaknesses:    Do I own the bike or does the bike own me?

Bottom Line:
There was a time not too long ago when the act of laying down 2000 for a bike seemed reserved for fanatics and madmen... then, I met the Zaskar LE.
She drew me across the shop from the racks of full suspensions with her clean lines and sharp colors.
I test rode it just out of curiosity...
You ever see that movie?... Christine... yeah...
I went home, I tried to sleep; I went to other shops, rode other bikes; all the while thinking of her.
She would not let me go.
Had I taken her home and let her live a life of quite luxury... taxing me around the streets of Seattle I would have never realized her value, she was still a madman's choice for value in my eyes. As soon as we got home it started... "let's go to the mountains"... "why aren't we on a trail"... "hey are you going to use me or what?"... "I hate cement"... on and on.. round and round in my head... a ceaseless drone for adventure; we had only been home 5 minutes. I could tell, this was going to be a tumultuous relationship.
On the trail every one of those 2000 dollars revealed itself to me, in sharp turns, grips, jumps, and drops.
2000 for a bike became a steal.
If you need any convincing on the value of higher end bikes, give this bike a run.
If you're in the market for what has to be the finest hard tail bike to ever climb a mountain, then holy god... you have reached the Promised Land.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Montlake Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Racing Vertex

Bike Setup:   Stock - brimming with XTR, SID rockshock, etc...

Submitted by Eric Chan from Bendigo,Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff yet soft, compare to my 97 Zeasker LE. Looks team colour, right size better angle with sloping downtube makes the bike feel smaller. handles great looks strong.

Weaknesses:    Not yet, and never will.

Bottom Line:
I ride a small, at 10.9 kg 22 pounds can't complain

Favorite Trail:   Australian Bush

99 Mavic CrossMax
Maxxis Tyres

Submitted by Eric Chan from Bendigo,Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Weaknesses:    Not yet, and never will.

Bottom Line:
I ride a small, at 10.9 kg 22 pounds can't complain

Favorite Trail:   Australian Bush

99 Mavic CrossMax
Maxxis Tyres

Submitted by Michel Gerber a Cross Country Rider from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Strengths:    weight, look, geometry

Weaknesses:    none, even the price is ok since you get the best of the best

Bottom Line:
watch out i review the 2001 zaskar team model!!!this bike rules!!! with a frame that lost almost 500 gramms (sorry i am a european guy)it comes even at my size ( i drive the xlarge version) at 10 kilogramms including the pedals. the bike climbs like a mountain goat and the only limiting factor indeed is the riders' strength. downhill it s very safe even at high speed and on difficult single trails you can handle it almost like a trail bike.
for a two to three hour session there comes nothing close to a hardtail, however for a marathon i will still use my 1997 fullsuspension sts.

Favorite Trail:   every trail that deserves this name

Purchased At:   The Bike Store, Zurich

Similar Products Used:   1997 sts (although a full suspension), full xt, rock shox sid sl, mgura hs 33 hydraulic brakes

Bike Setup:   as seen on the website, so it commes in with full xtr, sid race (watch the color), mavic crossmax ust (tubeless) easton magnesium stem, easton carbon bar and syncros carbon seat post

Submitted by Teodulo Guerrero a Cross Country Rider from Pacoima, CA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Strengths:    Super light frame

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of

Bottom Line:
I was planning on buying an M4 but I'm glad a chose the Zaskar. This is a great feeling bike. It's super light so it's great on long climbs and it's very responsive on fast technical decents. If you want the best Cross Country bike out there, this is the one for you.

Favorite Trail:   Mullholand