GT 2000 Aggressor Hardtail Bike

4.37/5 (43 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, SR MG91 fork

Submitted by Joel Roy a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2004

Strengths:    Triple Triangle Frame
Never had any problems with the WTB headset or the GT stem, still have them on the bike.
The crank and BB actually lasted me about two years without any problems.

Weaknesses:    Just about everything else, especially the RST fork, the generic cassette & chain (which lasted me about 3 rides) & the rear der.

Bottom Line:
This frame has served me very well. It allowed me to be introduced to mountain biking and I still occasionally chose it over my RM Edge when I know I'm not going to be encountering too much Freeride sections on the trails, not that the frame couldn't handle it. I am not a light rider at 195lbs and I have never heard a complaint from the frame. Sure I toasted the fork after about 8 months of riding cross country but what do you expect from a low cost, low quality fork. The way I have the bike set up at the moment, I would chose over just about anything I have ridden to date if I knew the ride would include a lot of climbs and technical sections (I have tested a RM ETSX-70 and Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. disc as well as own a 2001 RM Edge), it handles great and climbs like a mountain goat. As far as going down on the other side, The EXR does a good job of soaking up the rough stuff but there are limits to what you can do with a hardtail and I respect those limits. I have never tried "Downhill" or "Freeride" trails with this bike as it is not it's purpose. The only negative things I can comment on it the way I have it done up now have nothing to do with the original bike itself. The Velociraptor is a great choice as a rear tire but I have noticed that the front gets quite skiddish in the wet and on gravel (it bites great on hard pack). Also, the XT V-brakes have the usual XT wail when you apply them but are very strong.
I give it five flamming chilis for the low cost and frame because you can upgrade it and end up with a very capable cross country hardtail. If you're just getting started and are willing to upgrade to better components when the originals break (which they should have by now), it is a great choice. The frame will probably outlast you.

Favorite Trail:   Cross Country / Light Freeride

Purchased At:   Kundstat Sports

Similar Products Used:   2004 Specialized Hardrock. (not impressed)
2004 Tassahara (couldn't really try it out, it is my girlfriend's and the frame is XS at 13.5")

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi EXT Pro fork, Rhyno lite rims with Ritchey front Hub, Shimano LX rear, Velociraptor 2.1" tires, Shimano XT V-brakes & levers, Shimano LX Shifters with XTR front & rear derailleurs, Azonic 1.5" riser bar, Truvativ Husselfelt crank with Eggbeater(plain Chrome) peddles, FSA ISIS drive BB, SRAM 7.0 Cassette & PC99 Chain.

Submitted by Adrian a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Strengths:    suitable for light XC and leisure. Great frame. Well worth buying second hand just for the frame!

Weaknesses:    Generic parts. Beyond the headset and handlebars everything could do to be upgraded.

Bottom Line:
Great entry level hardtail especially if you get one with Judy TT forks rather that the RST mine had. For people who want a bike to get you into the sport and see if they like it. Beyond light trailing you'll probably look to upgrade most components. Well worth the money just for the frame.

Favorite Trail:   Epping Forrest

Purchased At:   Bonthrone Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Wahoo

Bike Setup:   Came with RST 381EL forks (boo!) which I upgraded to Marzocchi MX comp. Changed pedals for Shimano multi-purpose M324. Replaced v-brakes with Hope Mini Disk. Got new Specialized seat. Replaced Suntour crankset for Prodogy XC. Replaced Acera with Deore groupset. Replaced tires with Panaracer Fire XC

Submitted by Alex a Racer from minden,nevada,usa

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Strengths:    Killer frame can handle the most brutal terrain.Upgradable.

Weaknesses:    No rear disc mount. Stock drivetrain blows. Nysnc fork?

Bottom Line:
If u are just getting into mountain biking or just want an extra bike but don't have 1000 dollars to blow this is a good bike for u. I set mine up to do light downhill,freeride,and xc. apart from some broken components the bike has helt up well. Can handle anything u can dish. If anyone has anything bad to say about this bike they don't know how to ride or got a factory lemon.This bike is awesome.

Favorite Trail:   nut cracker

Purchased At:   Big daddy's bicycles

Similar Products Used:   cannondale cad 1. trek single track

Bike Setup:   gt aggresor 3.0 frame. Rock shox judy TT, Deore front disc,alivio rapidfire,truvative 5d cranks,dk Ironcross pedals,shimano lx cassete, alivio deralliers,sun rhino light wheelset.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Burlington, Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2002

Strengths:    Strong frame, puts up with freeride abuse that I put it through (even though it is a cross country bike)

Weaknesses:    Derailleurs were trashed about a year and a half after i got them from jumping n' such. The fork is mushy, and the seat isn't very comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike, even though it wasn't designed to be jumped off 4-5 foot loading docks and big dirt jumps, it still lives. The frame holds up through everything. Once i get the drive train squared away, it'll definately be a joy to take to the local skate park. its crazy how all those bmx'ers look at you when you show up on a mountain bike.

Purchased At:   Bob's Pedal Pusher

Similar Products Used:   GT Idrive, Giant Rainier, Schwinn Mesa

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock, in the process of changing the drivetrain. The chainwheels are pretty eaten up, the cassete is chewed up, the derailleurs don't work too well, i only have two gears that function. Saving to upgrade to possibly a Duke fork. The seat needs to go, and I'm putting wellgo pedals on it. I also want to put a THE front fender on it, just so it looks wicked

Submitted by Derek O a Cross Country Rider from Bath

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    Great Frame, Light, Strong, Good Traction

Weaknesses:    Shock sucks bass, I hate straight handle bars

Bottom Line:
Except for the Ellsworth, its a great bike, I am going to try racing next year, and I am definetly using the GT, it has a good feel to it and I enjoy riding. I really recocomend it if you can still get one, since GT went out of bussiness. (!!)

Favorite Trail:   Round Valley DH Track

Purchased At:   Curt's

Similar Products Used:   GT I-drive, Giant AC 1, GT Saddleback, Ellsworth Truth, Giant Warp, Giant Rincon, Raliegh M80, Diamondback Hardtail

Bike Setup:   Stock Frame,derailieurs,and rims. Marzocchi Bomber Fork, Club Roost Riser Bars, Hutchinson Alligator Golds Tires, Race Face Cranks, Egg Beater pedals, and a Rollimajig

Submitted by Matthew Anderson a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Strengths:    The frame is strong and light which makes a great choice to grow into higher end componentry. The triangle tube design for the seat post puts the rear tire under the seat for superb traction.

Weaknesses:    The rims are single wall and bend easily

Bottom Line:
I love it! I had the chance to buy a Gary Fisher 2 or upgrade this bike and I went with this bike. It's frame is tight and responsive, and the traction is fantastic.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Wahoo, KHS FTX Rage.

Bike Setup:   Mavic 221 rims, XT (hubs, front and rear derailler, bottom bracket, crank, and rear cassette), and a Duke racing shock.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Wichita KS

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Strengths:    Very light and can handle more than I expected.

Weaknesses:    Mid to low end components were upgraded in about two months after I bought the bike.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike with a sturdy,lightweight frame. Upgrading cost next to nothing. This a perfect bike for me because I am an ex bmxer who loves to thrash around on big hills. I have had no major problems that I have not encountered from just normal wear and tear. This is a great purchase for beginner to novice riders or the weekend warrior like myself.

Favorite Trail:   the bodybag

Purchased At:   Bicycle Service

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX 880

Bike Setup:   GT Aggressor 2.0 with Rock Shox Jett and XTR shifters and derailers.

Submitted by Nick Johns a Weekend Warrior from Southampton

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Strengths:    Good strong frame and is quite light

Weaknesses:    Forks,chain,pedals and some of the components

Bottom Line:
gets me where I want to go and can handle some jumping
An o.k. bike

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   dawes, GT

Bike Setup:   Aggressor frame,dmr v12 stock

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from Palatine, IL

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2001

Strengths:    Frame, price

Weaknesses:    Components, fork, tires, rims, etc...

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike if you don't want to spend a lot of money up front to ride, as long as you anticipate having to upgrade parts as they deteriorate and/or break. The components used to manufacture this bike are entry-level at best, yet seem to perform reasonably if well-maintained. I wouldn't recommend this bike to someone who plans to compete with it, but for other more casual riders, it works fine. Just as a recommendation, it may be a good idea to upgrade the tires right away if you live and ride in soggy conditions...

Favorite Trail:   Veterans Acres

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Trek, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Aggressor w/ stock components, Sun SR-18 rims with Deore hubs.

Submitted by Dan Arron a Weekend Warrior from Greenwich, London, England

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Strengths:    A good ride, from my limited experience, reasonable weight and performance- mainly good value for money though.

Weaknesses:    Found the gears a bit crunchy and perhaps the suspension a bit stiff. But they can be changed.

Bottom Line:
A bargain, if only for the strong and light frame.

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Purchased At:   Halfords...say no more, but price was rite.

Bike Setup:   As supplied

Submitted by Lance Carter a Weekend Warrior from Perry Georgia

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    Light, Frame is outstanding! Brakes are awesome for non disk lower line stuff. The balance is out of this world.

Weaknesses:    The Derailurers act up a little bit. I have had it tuned up and there is still a gear or two that is a bit sluggish. Pedals could be better.

Bottom Line:
:) The bottom line is that I have been riding every day on all sorts of surfaces. I do a lot of exploring and get into a lot of places that are just plain insaine. This little bike has no problem getting me out of those spots.This is the ultimate entry level bike!
Hail Gary Turner!!!!

Favorite Trail:   East Macon Park

Purchased At:   Biketec

Similar Products Used:   Rode a couple of custom jobs.

Bike Setup:   Bone stock.

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Dallas

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Strengths:    This is a well rounded cycle, awesome warranty too, great for the weekend warrior.

Weaknesses:    Factory installed tires could be more durable! They seem to flatten easily and lack durability.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy my bike, its versatile, and all around durable!
I upgraded mine with minor aftermarket parts for just a couple bucks more.I added a seat post absorber to minmize rectal shock :)

Favorite Trail:   Lake Ray Roberts trails

Purchased At:   Cycle Spectrum

Bike Setup:   2000 GT-Agressor

Submitted by sam a Weekend Warrior from brunei

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Strengths:    EXCELLENT GEOMETRY,GOOD HANDLING.RELATIVELY LIGHT.NOT SO EXPENSIVE QUALITY FRAME.

Weaknesses:    STOCK COMPONENTS ARE CRAP ESPECIALLY THE WHEELS AND SADDLE.NO REAR DISC BRAKE MOUNT.

Bottom Line:
I BOUGHT A FULLY LOADED AGRESSOR BIKE EXCEPT FOR THE SADDLE AND THE WHEEL WHICH GAVE AWAY AT THE VERY FIRST OPPORTUNITY.APART FROM THAT IT IS A VERY SOLID AND ROCK STEADY BIKE.WITH MY CURRENT SET UP THE BIKE IS RELATVILY LIGHT AND EASY TO THROW AROUND.

Purchased At:   TRIPLE STAR

Similar Products Used:   PROGEAR SLALOM Z

Bike Setup:   FULL XT,EASTON EA 70 STEM,SEATPOST AND HANDLE BAR.VELOCITY MOUNTAIN GOAT RIMS.RST GAMMA AT SHOCK.

Submitted by Wallabass a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    Frame, the name, the yellow color

Weaknesses:    Handlebar,Stem, Pedals, B.B., Suspension Fork, Crankset, Tires, Diercction, Seatpost, Hubs.

Bottom Line:
I not a very heavy raider but the stock parts don't works for me, I do some downhill rides and street tricks and the story began: first was my handle bar, them the seatpost, the crank arm, all the parts of my bike were broken.
Now the bike really looks aggressor with the Upgrades (Downhill Handlebar, Decent Suspension fork, and Shimano LX component)
This bike is really great for the money but is necessary change the stock parts (all of them)
With the Upgrades is the best bike you can find, the frame is unbreakable and the look is insuperable.

Favorite Trail:   Bajada de la Virgen

Submitted by Matthew a Weekend Warrior from Thomaston

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    Strong frame, quality components, beautiful bike--it's silver and shiny, so I don't get run over as much by rednecks and old ladies around town.

Weaknesses:    Wheels

Bottom Line:
I'm very much a beginner, and I don't have too many cool places to ride. I do my best, though, with all the rooted up sidewalks and a few hidden trails just on the outskirts of town.
The 2001 Aggressor 2.0 is an awesome bike for beginners. Unless I was seriously considering becoming actively involved in this sport I would not have paid nearly five hundred bucks for a bicycle; but I am very pleased with the bike, and I feel I got my money's worth. I also need to do a plug for the awesome folks at ROSWELL BICYCLES, who do an outstanding job of helping you find the right bike and components(and they give your bike free tune-ups for life). They don't let you off the lot with the bike, until everything is running perfectly. Anyway, the bike has a good, sturdy frame for us big-guys. I was, at first, quite amazed at how light the frame is, and thrilled to death (almost quite literally) at how quick the brakes caught. I was also impressed with the smooth transition between the various gears. These were things I was not accustomed to, due to horrible past experiences with Roadmasters, Murrays, and Huffy's back in the day. With the exception of the wheels, all the other components are sweet, and work like a charm.
The problem with the wheels are simply that they, like some ex-girlfriends, won't stay true. I would concede, though, that the problem with the wheels (very factory), might have something to do with the fact that they're supporting about 240 lbs of me through bunny-hops and miscellaneous abuse. The guy who sold me the bike told me that I'd probably need to get a new wheelset soon, due to my weight, so this isn't a big surprise.
Again, overall, it's a good bike. I'm diggin' it.

Favorite Trail:   At the moment, wherever I can find one