GT 1999 Ricochet Hardtail Bike

4.47/5 (30 Reviews)

1999 GT Ricochet, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett XC, 2.4" travel fork

Submitted by RJ a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Idaho

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Strengths:    This is a fair entry level bike. It is resonably sturdy.

Weaknesses:    the GT triple Triangle frame is not ideal for riders with long torsos and arms. The top tube is just too short. The geometry did not work for me.

Bottom Line:
I learned a lot about mountain biking through this bike. My skill level changed dramatically since I first bought the bike. I learned about bike fit and body geometry and my need for lighter weight, better components made this bike obsolete for me. If your a big person, think twice before buying this bike because it wont fit you, your back will ache on long rides and you wont work as efficiently as you could. That is the bottom line, regardless of the fact that you can easily out grow this bike.

Purchased At:   Bobs Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   This was my first mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   I upgraded the front shock to a Rock Shock Judy XC, other wise it was stock with entry level components

Submitted by Dan Sanderson a Cross Country Rider from York, England

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Grips, Paint desintergrating on forks.

Bottom Line:
A superb bike. A few pushes on the pedals and this machine really flies. It can take everything me and my friends can through at it and possibly an awful lot more. Fast in all conditions, and especially fun through the mud. Easy to ride at speed, and controlable while in the air (you can't resist using every jump.) I will ride this bike until it pysically falls apart. Awesome fun, awesome bike.

Purchased At:   M&P cycles

Similar Products Used:   Dawes Watoga

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Pleasanton, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Strengths:    This bike is sick. I had a full suspension before, but i'll never own one again! this bike just feels alive under power, and doesn't act squirrly at all at high speed.

Weaknesses:    my shock is a little too stiff, but that's easy to fix, and i plan to do so. also, the frame doesn't have a disc brake mount (what a pisser!).

Bottom Line:
This bike is for somebody who wants a fast accelerating bike that feels alive. this bike is a blast to ride, and i would recommend it to anyone who like to bike.

Purchased At:   a friend

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose FS (it really sucked)

Bike Setup:   SRAM 9.0 drivetrain, RST dual crown fork, SRAM 9.0 brake levers and shimano XT vee brakes. GT front hub, shimano STX rear hub

Submitted by James Bedard a Cross Country Rider from Kanata, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2001

Strengths:    You gotta love the triple triangle design on this bike, GT really designed a good sturdy bike when they built this! Love the Formula hydraulic disk...Mavic rims Hutchinson XC1 Tires upgraded from (Tioga XC tires), was a bit picky at first about the Koski rear brake but works well.
Manitou SX-R fork (excellent),

Weaknesses:    Disk brake squeaks after a while I think about 1 1/2 hours into ride! But GT has everything else to make up for it!
GT RULES!

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is GT f'n rules man if you have any doubts about it you can e-mail me and I'll tell you why this bike is awesome! Give a very good ride even if ya' do a bit of freestylin' it's an amazing cockpit... I only upgrated the tires and put a THE fender on it, doesn't weigh much, I'm a winter biker and if you plan on using this bike just change the tires and if you got the $$$moula$$$ get a rear disk brake(I'm thinkin' about upgrading to a Hayes Hydraulic later) Everything is awesome on this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Gatineau regions

Purchased At:   Kundstadt Sports

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 (had one), GT Avalanche, Kona Roast...

Submitted by Mitcher a Cross Country Rider from Ogden, Utah

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2000

Strengths:    Price, excellent components for the price. Nice color and great crotch clearance on the Anatomica frame (I'm a chick). Low weight for the price. GT was smart to customize the handlebar and lever sizes for the 15 inch bike

Weaknesses:    The grips are not very durable and the Jett XC is not the greatest front fork. Already have a SID to replace it (not the greatest fork either, but okay for me since I'm 118 lbs.)

Bottom Line:
Great bike for beginners that will eventually take MTBing seriously. If needed, the frame is race ready with some component upgrades (fork, rims, tires, seatpost, seat, and stem).

Favorite Trail:   Mueller Park Trail, Bountiful

Purchased At:   Kent's Shooters and Hooters

Similar Products Used:   This was my first MTB bike ever, my husband bought it for me for my birthday.

Bike Setup:   Full LX components except for GT stem, handlebar and seatpost, and Avid brakes and levers(which are awesome). Serfas gel seat for added comfort (reduces butt soreness). Replaced platforms with Speedplay frog pedals.

Submitted by Fieldtrip a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ US of A

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2000

Strengths:    Ze Frame, Boss! Ze Frame!!! It may be tank-like in weight, but this is THE aluminum hard frame. It will outlive you. Blood washes off easily.

Weaknesses:    The Indy C is basically a solid fork. The components... be prepared for a complete upgrade within 2 years. You can really tell how GT made their money here.

Bottom Line:
HERE'S THE SECRET NINTENDO CODES ON HOW TO BUILD THE ULTIMATE HARDTAIL!!! All the Rico's are either used or closeouts by now, so get yourself a deal, strip everything stock off (the Mavic's arent THAT bad...), Get a kick ass fork (see above) put it through a sealed bearing headset, shorten the stem (I use a cube), get DH bars. Get a BIG crankset (46,46,46!!!), gut the stock bracket, hook up good peds, and this thing turns into a straight ROCKET!!! Emphasis on the crank-- this is sooo overlooked. I take up downhills reserved for full sus bikes, I won't lie-- it WILL rattle your fillings, but you will blur your way into the land of wind and ghosts. This was my first serious bike... it may be a long time before another. Oh yeah, the metallic orange makes the girls look twice. Or maybe it's just my green hair.

Favorite Trail:   all of 'em

Purchased At:   a certain GT shop in Valpo, IN ( I'm warning you now...)

Similar Products Used:   Countless big retail bikes. Rode just about every other hardtail in existence.

Bike Setup:   2001 Marzocci Z3 100mm fork, Cane Creek headset, AC downhill stem, DH bars, big sticky green Oury grips, LX Deore derailleurs, Shimano 46 crankset, Scott clipless peds, SRAM chains (a MUST!!!), LX bottom bracket, tires of the week.

Submitted by Rick Pichie a Weekend Warrior from Crossfield,Alberta,Canada

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Strengths:    KILLER BLUE COLOR
GT...GT...GT...Need I say more
Awesome bike all around
Great construction all-around.
Again,Killer blue paint!

Weaknesses:    Did I mention GT!!!!! None that I have found. YET!!
GT kicks ASS.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line?
This is the best bike I have ever rode.Smooth shifting,great climbing ability,light for the price!!
A great all-around bike.
Oh, and did I mention GT!
This is the first serious bike I have ever bought and I am very,very,very impressed with it.
It is going to be very hard to convince me not to buy another GT bike.
GT KICKS ASS....
Nuff said
A great bike for someone starting out or for the more advanced rider as there are many upgrade options available to make this machine even more deadly.

Long live GT!

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle, Calgary, Canada

Similar Products Used:   None. I went straight for GT. Need I say more!

Bike Setup:   Deore LX components
Jett XC ROCK SHOX
Panaracer DART/Smoke skins
ONZA!! AH DUH

Submitted by Ryan Sickles a Racer from Deerfield bch., FL USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Strengths:    Great Strong frame & Ligter than 4lbs.
The frame & BB only, that I purchased from my Authorized Dealer, is different than as shown in the Picture above. Mine looks like a standard, GT Triple Triangle.
Once I got the frame & BB only, then i upgraded it serverly, to make the most of it.

Weaknesses:    Since I don't have bottom of the line stuff on, theres none that I've found.

Bottom Line:
I have thrased this bike around for abut 3months now, and have found no weaknesses in the frame.
Everytime I go for a light spin on the trail, this thing always has me hammering threw the trail.
The structual integraty of the frame is great! Although I wish GT could have welded below the rear triangle brace that fits up against the seatpost tube.
Lateral stability is scary! This thing isnt afraid to be hammered into corners, taken of drops, or shot out of a berm!

If your a serious rider that wants a great bike, and is willing to modify it. This is for you.

If your a brand hore, and dont want to be seen in a pair of Nashbar shorts, or with LX entry level parts. This isn't for you.

Favorite Trail:   Markham

Purchased At:   Authorized GT Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Other GT Triple Triangle frames.

Bike Setup:   16.5' frame. XT & LX.

Submitted by Brett a Cross Country Rider from Medina,NY

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Strengths:    I can only comment on the frame, nothing else is stock. But as for the frame, it's tight. you can't beat the finish(brushed Al) and there's absolutely no flex. this is the same frame used up to the Zaskars, but I don't recommend a 6061 frame. a couple of my friends have Zaskars and i can feel them flex compared to my baby. just a great frame.

Weaknesses:    i guess the stock components suck, guess i was lucky just getting the frame.

Bottom Line:
Sweet frame, no complaints

Favorite Trail:   hunter's creek

Similar Products Used:   GT Rebound, Zaskars, Cherry Bomb, Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Bike Setup:   Judy XC, Avid Arch Supreme brakes, Kore stem seatpost and bar, ODI grips, Mavic 517s, Time pedals, WTB saddle, XT drivetrain, Race Face crank and BB

Submitted by Tra a Racer from Charleston, WV USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Strengths:    Strong frame, very durable and can take a beating. A good entry level bike. It has withstood 1999 & 2000 24 Hours of Canaan & Snowshoe and a couple of local races.

Weaknesses:    Bottom of the line components---Shimano STX and a cheap Rock Shox Indy C. You will want to upgrade it and end up spending another $400 - $500. Buy a bike with good components already on the bike...its cheaper in the long run.

Bottom Line:
A very good beginner-intermediate bike. Mine has lasted thru three years of pure abuse. The bike is solid and should only require routine tune-ups and probably brake pads. I bought this bike when I didnt really know much about componentry. I should have bought a bike with at least XT components and definately a better front shock..at least a Judy XC.

Overall, I ride it hard, have given it hell, and have had no problems except for normal drivetrain wear and tear.

I give the beast of a bike 5 flamin' turds for value and 4 for overall.

Favorite Trail:   Black Bear - Kanawha St Forest

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   All stock except for Shimano M535 clipless pedals. This year I upgraded to a new Shimano XT Casette, a Shimano LX Crankset, and a Terry Ti-Race Liberator seat. The WTB seat was killing me.

Submitted by Adan Felix a Weekend Warrior from Pampa, TX

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Strengths:    The LX componets!! Avid brakes. The GT name!!! Can't beat it with other bikes at the same price!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    The Rock Shock JETT

Bottom Line:
This is a excellent bike for the price of $599. Also the bike seems lighter then 28 pounds. I have added a SID XC so the weight will go down. The bike is well rounded bike from the handlebars to the tires. Needs a little touch ups to upgrade but it is ready for the trails. You can't find a bike this inexpensive and just have to change out the front shock. I give it five flamin' of TURDS!! For this bike is ready for a real rider after it is bought!!
Something that helps me keep Pedaling is below!

At first I saw God as an observer, a judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong, so He could determine whether I would merit heaven or hell. He was sort of like the President, I recognized his picture, but I really didn't know him. Later when I met Christ personally, it was as if life were more like a bike ride, a tamdem bike, and Christ was in the back helping me pedal. I don't know when it was that He suggested we change places, but life has never been the same since. When I had control I knew the way. It was somewhat boring, but it as predictable. It was alwyas the shortest distance between two points. When He (Christ) took the lead, He knew delightful long-cuts, up mountains, and through rocky places at breakneck speeds. It was all I could do just to hang on. Even tough it looked like madness, He said, "Just pedal." I was worried and anxious. Where are you taking me? He laughed and didn't answer.
That's when I learned I was going to have to trust Him.
I began to forget my boring life and entered into every adventure. When I said I'm scared, He would lean back and just touch my hand. He took me to people with gifts that I
needed, gifts of healing, acceptance and joy. He gave me gifts to take on my journey, and off we were again. Then He told me to give my gifts away, they were extra baggage, too
much weight. The journey continued and our burden was lighter. I must admit I didn't trust Him at first to take control of my life. I thought He would wreck it. But I found He knew bike secrets. He knew how to make sharp corners and how to jump and clear rocks. He knew how to do things I could never have done if I were in control. I am learning to shut up and pedal in the strangest places. I am beginning to enjoy the view and the cool breeze on my face with my delightful companion, Jesus Christ. And when I'm not sure I can continue, He just smiles and says, "Just pedal."
(From Dirt Rag magazine - by Mrs. Allyne Terry of Lannett, AL.)

Favorite Trail:   GSL-Palo Duro Canyon

Bike Setup:   LX groupo, Added a Rock Shock Y2K Sid XC. Avid Brakes.

Submitted by Super D a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2000

Strengths:    The most amazing piece of equipment since the wheel

Weaknesses:    You can get addicted

Bottom Line:
This bike is the supreme sub $700 babe magnet bike

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Supercaliber, Cannondale F5000 SL, Trek Elite 9.9, Gary Fisher Sugar 1

Bike Setup:   Normal Stock Set-up: Full XTR except for: cranks (M'zarek infinite Ti), Brakes (Magura HS33 Hydraulics); Marzocchi RAC1, Cross Max UST, Michelin Comp S Silica Tubeless, Time Carbon Championship pedals, Sun Tour down tube shifters

Submitted by Joe Froetschel a Cross Country Rider from Bethel Park PA USA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2000

Strengths:    Super stiff and good componentry for the money

Weaknesses:    Needed to change the bars and I prefer clipless pedals, but other than that its great

Bottom Line:
I tested and rode all kinds of bikes from all the manufacturers and this was the best for the money. I needed to replace the bars with some risers and changed into some clipless pedals. Other than that this bike is great. I love the stiffness and the smoothness.