GT 1999 Rebound Hardtail Bike

4.23/5 (53 Reviews)

1999 GT Rebound, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett C, 1.8" travel fork

Submitted by Christian

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    The frame is amazing. My father purchased it a while back in '99, and now, I use it. I'm his son. At twelve years old, we kids just want to go dropping off cliffs and jumping off ramps. The frame has taken a beating, but hasn't scratched after even colliding with a saw. The custom Shimano gears I applied (24 speed) are working great, and haven't had an issue since.

Weaknesses:    The shocks (Jett C Rock Shox) are extremely heavy, the chain is easy to derail, and the pedals are horrible. When my dad bought the bike, he got it from a bike shop who replaced what they thought was bad with the good, even taking the frame apart and welding it back together. But those parts are even bad now. The bike weighs too much for someone my size. (Five feet.)

Bottom Line:
Overall, great bike for trails, and not for jumps. The bike retains it's value well, and if you're looking to buy one, it's a great ride for beginners as well (durability).

Submitted by jeepguy12383 a Cross Country Rider from indep, mo

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    All around great bike!

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any!!!

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike new in 1999 when I was 15. At the time I was riding 10 plus miles a day delivering newspapers and riding it to friends houses. As I got older it became my transportation to work, which again was a 10 mile round trip. As I got older (and got a car) I took it to bike trails and road rides. This bike has seen it all; rain, mud, sleet, snow, in some cases ice. I still ride the bike several miles a day to this day without having had any mechanical issues,(I'm ashamed to say I have not even had it serviced)! I now take my daily rides pulling a trailer with my 2 yr. old daughter!!

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback with front shocks

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by DANGER6 a Downhiller from Centennial,CO U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2010

Strengths:    I am very fond of the welds on this bike,
The smoky pewter color is definitely a big plus,
7005 Alum/Zinc frame very light and strong.

Weaknesses:    Decals are painted and can't be removed unless you wanna sandblast the whole from.

Stock Rock Shox Jett

Bottom Line:
After swapping and upgrading I believe I have built a bulletproof bike.

If I have any issues I will re-post

Favorite Trail:   Dinosuar Ridge (unmarked)

Purchased At:   craig's list

Similar Products Used:   94' Tequesta

Bike Setup:   99' Rebound 18"
CNC Cyclone Crank
Avid levers
Sram shifters
bullseye hubs

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2007

Strengths:    Solid frame. Came with a Judy XC fork. The frame and fork are the only good stock parts. The rest of the bike was really bad! FYI- every component has been replaced.

Weaknesses:    Non-replaceable derailleur hangar, poor quality components and NO REAR DISK TABS! The components were very low-quality. I have replaced them all!

Bottom Line:
You will never find this bike new, but if it's used and in good shape, why not? If you're looking for a bike to get you out on the trails and have some fun while not spending too much money, this is the bike for you. This is a solid, heavy frame. It was built to be burly and it still is, almost 9 years later. All my buddy's ride with full-sup rigs and I've hung in there and haven't broken the frame yet. This frame takes a beating and keeps on rolling. I have had some gnarly crashes on it: trees at speed, 15 foot cliffs into the river, 3 foot drops into endless rock gardens etc... etc... You can't buy this bike anymore, but if you can find one cheap and want a solid frame, this is a tough bike and worth shredding some trails with. I just rebuilt the whole bike to get me though this and possibly another season. It runs like a champ. Before I brought it back from the dead, it was my college bike used as transportation from school and/or the bars and back. I just wish I my Yeti 575 now instead of waiting at least another complete season...

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   Can't remember.

Similar Products Used:   Can't remember, bought this in 1999. Some low-end Jamis' and Specialized Rockhoppers.

Bike Setup:   XT cranks, XT rear D, LX front D, Rockshox Recon 351 Solo Air fork, SunRace Singletrack Rims, Panaracer Fire XC tires, LX rapid fire shifters, Brake Therapy for rear disk, Avid Juicy 5's, Sette Ti skewers (why not!), terribly heavy stem and riser bars (will be replacing with some carbon bars and a Salsa stem soon). I have put way too much money into this old girl, but I have a bond with it, you know? I have done some gnarly crashing and wicked bombing on this Rebound.

Submitted by Dude Rasta a Weekend Warrior from indianapolis

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Strengths:    dude, youd have to run over this bike with a car to fuk it up. the frame the frame the frame.

Weaknesses:    THE FORK...let me just say that if i was given enough time/room id write a book on how bad this for sucks and why. Take this fork and tie it to two mules and pull it apart...then bury it. most of the components are crap and need upgrading. not the greatest hill climber but not really meant for that ...i dont think.

Bottom Line:
this frame rocks, bottom line. i give it everything ive got, although im only 145#s. this bike was mildly thrashed when i got it and since then ive put some major scars on it and the paint barely even chips. I changed some of the components because the origionals wont stand up (i only used LX because the bike was pretty used by the time i was ready to upgrade - why put XTR on a well thrashed frame?). Once this frame has some nice XT or XTR components that are more durable and lightweight you will see such a major difference. God i hate this fukin fork! the old co's like Haro, GT, and Diamondback and a few others that were known for BMX bikes STILL make great bikes and this GT proves it. Corners like a panther, unlike some other high profile racing bikes. my buddy gets me on the hills when i ride this thing but i take him in the corners every time! well worth it if youve found one. Gets 4 hot ones for the frame alone...would be 5 with better components.

Favorite Trail:   Nebo Ridge

Purchased At:   a good buddy 'o mine

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stupjump Pro...Klein Attitude.

Bike Setup:   currently just some Shim. LX components and some new carbon handlebars i got a deal on...oh and new Mavic wheels soon...and a fukin new fork too!! currently have the RS Jett c P.O.S fork with the origional Avid brakes which are fine. oh yea unless u just ride st. the Acera components HAVE to go. origional wheels too which arent very sturdy for me personally.

Submitted by DAVE a Weekend Warrior from LONGWOOD, FL

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Decent wheels awesome frame, endo brakes!

Weaknesses:    entire component group

Bottom Line:
I only bought the bike for the frame and ability to last until i could up grade.

Favorite Trail:   OCALA HARD ROCK

Purchased At:   BICYCLE CASTLE

Similar Products Used:   GT Pantera

Bike Setup:   upgraded to Duke XC, XT components, carbon bars and post, 9 speed hub, and just added Mavic UST Tubeless.

Submitted by Stephen Karnes a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Strengths:    Tough GT Frame, nice rapid fire shifters for the money, saddle (hard but it leaves plenty of leg movement and fits your body right), nice length stem, V-brakes (like 'em better than more expensive V-brakes)

Weaknesses:    Rear free body hub, bottom bracket, derailers, Jett C shock is too heavy, pedals are junk

Bottom Line:
This bike total rocks if you want the coolest looking not to mention strong and light wt. hardtail frame for the money. Most of the componets are crap and will brake with heavy use... no biggie though, just upgrage as they fall apart. Happens even with higher end componets too. For $500 it's the perfect starter mountain bike or a great platform to build an entry racer.

Purchased At:   Eddie's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Lots, Me and my friends are always swapping bikes while out on the trails or just for a quick cruise in town.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock at the moment... Replaced rear free body hub with LX and bottom bracket with upgrade after breaking both. Looking to upgrade the shock to a Bomber. Light aluminum freestyle pedals for in town riding (nice with any foot wear), clipless for trail... broke the stock ones quick

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Erie PA, US of A

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is simply amazing! It is built like a tank. Brakes, shifters, and seat equipment are also very good.

Weaknesses:    Shox were good at first, but need to be upgraded. Everything else is tough as nails.

Bottom Line:
This bike does not get any better for the price. Every aspect of the bike is simply amazing, it rides distance smooth, it rides rugged trails with ease, and it will be there with you until the end. Let me tell you that after getting cut off by a car at 40 mph downhill, rolling over the trunk, dropping the bike, and rolling away unharmed with me bike suffering only a loose chain is tank-like construction. The bike and I did more damage to the car than it did to us, and i thank GT everyday for making the Rebound the best quality bike they could.

Favorite Trail:   My cabin's trails

Purchased At:   Wheels Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Factory, except new Specialized seat, Judy C Shox.

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Buffalo Ny

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Strengths:    Great price for starving student. Im a big fat guy and this bike dosn't flex under me when I put some stank on it. You can bury it in the mud and she'll ride fine.

Weaknesses:    takes a while to get used to the seat, seat tends to loosen up from the post.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, I'm not a real sick rider It can hande whatever I can throw it at. Great bike for all you starving students out there especially with the Judy. If you cant look at it and tell some one exactly why it isn't enough bike for you, then it'll do more than you can.

Purchased At:   westchester bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Gary FIsher same price range, demoed a canondale lefty, wish I had that kind of money

Bike Setup:   Judy xc factory 2000

Submitted by Marc Moseley a Cross Country Rider from Woodstock, CT

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Strengths:    FRAME! DURABILITY!

Weaknesses:    Fork, components (depending on riding level).

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to a review I submitted shortly after I purchased this bike a little two years ago. I've put well over 2 grand mi on the bike. My real reason for writing is I took the bike on a trip to Killington mountain this summer and beat the living sh*t out of it. Three full consecutive days of rocks, mud, trees. It rained for a day and half of riding and the only thing I did (besides a tune) was new brake pads. I couldn't believe the how well this thing held up. It was unreal. You couldn't tell the color of the bike it was so covered. 30 degree rocky gravel inclines at 25 miles an hour, and the wheels maybe heavy, but they held up fine. Not a necessary upgrade. This proved to be a great purchase. Wouldn't have done it different. (btw, if you plan on doing any mix between cross country/dh like Killington, put your fork at a medium preload. Plenty of times my wheel hit a hole and I endoed because the preload was too little. Kind of sunk right underneath me). Anyway, if you want a relatively light frame, easily upgraded, and durable as anything I've ever seen, this is a great bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   ?

Purchased At:   Ordinary Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Rocky Mtn

Bike Setup:   Replaced Jett w/ Marzocchi Z.4 Air, XT except for brakes.

Submitted by Little Kemper a Weekend Warrior from Chattanooga,TN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Strengths:    This baby has a nice strong frame.Everyone thinks the triple triangular frame suck, but I love um. The color, tires are good,brakes work good, seat doesn`t pick my butt anymore. The crank is not bad but will eventualy be replaced

Weaknesses:    From what I have heard, the rims bend. I am only 14 and weigh 135, it hasn`t been a problem. Acera suck unless you are a street rider.Change both deraielrs with XT, that is what I am going to do. Change Jett C at all cost!! A judy race or XT(99 or 00)would be an awsome upgrade for this bike

Bottom Line:
This is an awsome bike for the price. When i got this, I had many extra`s included in the deal, which equaled to be about $200. I paid aboout $225 for the bike itself. It is totaly upgradable and is a nice ride before upgrades. It is a GT. They did slack off on a components...could be an awsome bike for a few more dollars. Overall this bike will suit almost anybody that doesn`t ride professionaly. Buy it if you have a chance.

Favorite Trail:   The Aztech near the Occoe River

Purchased At:   From a man of ebay....

Similar Products Used:   1999 schwinn moab 3, 2000 gt rebound(very similar to 99)

Bike Setup:   factory...except Titec stem, gt riser bars, shimano clippless pedals.....will make many more changes as money comes in.

Submitted by dave dave a Racer from severna park md

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2000

Strengths:    frame,price,seat....

Weaknesses:    forks,shifters,rims,brakes,handelbars,drivetrain....

Bottom Line:
good frame,strong,stiff,can take a beatin inmany ways.on the other hand all the parts GT sticks on the frame sucks in the worst way for some body who wants to ride hard core.even when i told the local bike dealer what i wanted it for ,he still told me it was indestructable. LIVE AND LEARN .remember bike shops are only there to make as much money off you as they can. on line shopping is the best way.....................................................

Favorite Trail:   arundrel

Similar Products Used:   giant

Bike Setup:   esp gripshift(8 spd),profil 2" riser bars,tectro brakes,marzocchi 3.5 bomber fork,ditchwitch rims w/xtr hubs ,clipless pedals(636),xt drivetrain....

Submitted by Young from Hickville tennessee

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2000

Strengths:    Great bike for the buck. Light, stiff, agile frame. Love the seat (for those of you that stick it out, its a great seat.) Its a GT, they're built to take a beating and keep going. I upgraded the Shifters to XT and put some clipless on 'cause its a much better ride.

Weaknesses:    Rims, I've trued 'em and warped them in the same day.. I only weight 140 too... The shock is a bit stiff, and not very ajustable.

Bottom Line:
As almost everyone has said, this is a great bike for the money. Very good for the beginner. I've pounded this downhill, uphill, off drops, in streams, and its still go'n strong. And if your lucky you might still be able to get one for cheap