Giant 2001 XTC SE 2 Hardtail Bike

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Bill Harkrider a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY. USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    Frame, light weight, cranks and tires.

Weaknesses:    Koski seat is uncomfortable and judy C fork is a bit heavy with limited adjustment. The front derailleur had to be replaced rather early.

Bottom Line:
For the price, I couldn't have asked for a more durable, lighter bike. I cannot say enough about the frame. It's super light and stiff, so it helps me to climb like a goat. The components are a good mix between performance and price. I still have the Judy fork, only because the only complaint I have about it is it's weight. It hasn't let me down yet, and I don't have a pressing need to replace it. I plan on upgrading to disc brakes(it comes with disc hubs), especially since we've had the most rain I've seen in a long time here in NY. The fork will be upgraded eventually as well, maybe to a Manitou Black or Fox Float. That's about it. The rest of the components work pretty well, with the exception of the Deore front derailleur. You won't be disappointed with this ride.

Favorite Trail:   Beth Page

Purchased At:   R and A cycles

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back, Gary Fisher, GT

Bike Setup:   Basically stock, except for the seat - Installed a nice Selle Italia Flite genuine gel, Time Atac pedals, and second set of Michelin tires.

Submitted by Sophy Christian Bun a Cross Country Rider from Carrollton, TX USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is super strong and super light. Iam a BMX by heart and this was a great intoduction to mountain biking.

Weaknesses:    The front shock could be better and did not like the deore/xt combo the the derailler. i also had some creeking with the crank, but over all the bike is great

Bottom Line:
the bike is super strong and great for any xtreme cycos out there.

Favorite Trail:   Bar H (devil's backbone

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Sport

Similar Products Used:   first mtb

Submitted by J Greg Kline a Cross Country Rider from Everett, WA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Strengths:    Frame...bar/stem....component group (though it is early)

Weaknesses:    seat hard? cant seem to get shock to stiffen up much.

Bottom Line:
Overall the bike is strong. First ride was smooth. Front end is a bit higher than old stump was. Judy C seams good, though it could use more adjustment, would like a Duke XC later. Early report, will write more later in season. Solid hardtail for the $$. 4 chilis for overall because its early. Put 6 months on it..then grade it!

Favorite Trail:   too many to list.....

Purchased At:   BikeBarn/Ebay

Similar Products Used:   replaced 95 stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   stock xtcse2, Oury grips, Control Tech bar ends, swapped Avid SD5/3 for Avid SD7/7, Velocirapter rear tire, Ritchey clipless pedals

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, rear deraileur, mavic rims

Weaknesses:    Seat, front deraileur

Bottom Line:
I've enjoyed the bike so far. The bike shop, "Chain Reaction" upgraded my chain on the spot. Frame is nice and light. Total weight is good, but may improve after Judy C forks are upgraded. Front derailleur is a gonna go first though. The shop that sold me the bike hooked me up with some nice extras and have made the whole purchase worth it based on price, product, and support. Great bike for the money. Bike will not "need" upgrades anytime soon, but a couple changes will make this bike top notch. I looked at Trek, Cannondale, and Gary Fisher before I decided on the Giant XTC SE2, based on weight, frame quality, and stock components.

Favorite Trail:   San Felesco

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Bike Setup:   Stock - better chain

Submitted by GS a Cross Country Rider from Chicago IL

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Strengths:    This is for the 2002 Model. Price versus components is great, RaceFace Cranks and rings, XT rear derailler, Titec cockpit...and the fork is AWESOME! The whole bike is black...and just plain looks evil! Gotta love it.

Weaknesses:    Well, not crazy about a Delore front derailler, and the tires...well..Giant was going for lightweight with Hutchinson Mosquitos.

Bottom Line:
I couldn't find a line for the 2002's so I stuck it here. I had a Kona, and was looking for better bike. When I priced this bike and what was on it, and then matched that against what other bikes were with similar components, this was about a $400.00 to $600.00 savings. I looked at the SE1 (top hardtail model) and decided against it. There are some differences, but the money is the SID fork and tubeless tires on the SE1, and frankly, have see too many people with tubeless setups that end up sticking tubes in them anyway. Besides, both the SE1 and the SE2 use the exact same frame. Save the $600.00 bucks and get the SE2.

The big surprise was the fork on this bike. Giant must read these things, because putting the RockShox Duke XC on this was a great move. I was thinking of putting a SID on until I rode the Duke. Not going to worry about it now. I did toss the tires and the front derailler. I think Giant could charge another 25 bucks and put an XT on the front end. Everything else is fine. Sure, as things wear out I am going to put on upgrades to the cassette, etc., but what comes on it is awesome for the price!

The frame is definately stiff, and climbs well, tracks well, and corners wonderfully. The rims (Mavic 221) are not designed for doing dropoff and downhilling. The bike is definately a XC bike. If your wanting to do serious drops and downhilling, either be prepared to upgrade the rims quickly, or look at getting a bike that was designed for that kind of riding.

Bottom line - For the money, you won't touch this bike with another kind. It looks evil, it rides stiff and the components are better than anything you will find on a bike at a $1000.00 from anyone else. If you're doing XC or the like, I think you can't really do better than this!

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine, Palos

Purchased At:   21st Century Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Navarro (REI)

Bike Setup:   Changed the tires and front derailler. Tossed the Mosquitos and put on velocirapters and an XT front derailler.

Submitted by Rolando a Cross Country Rider from Miami

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    Very strong and lite. The stock compontes are good for to start off with.

Weaknesses:    The Judy-C fork has to go. I also did not like the Koski seat and the handle bar.

Bottom Line:
For the money, you can't buy a better frame with a nicer parts package. This bike really rocks up hill, around corners and handles great on jumps. Best buy I have made on a bike so far.

Purchased At:   Downtown Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Rockhooper, and stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   marzochi atom racer fork, avid cable pull disk brakes and an easton monkey lite riser bar.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Irving, Texas

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Strengths:    Light frame; great components; nice geometry; great warranty.

Weaknesses:    Titec stuff -- they might be good, but they are heavy and it didn't fit me at all. I'm not wild about Judy, but Giant should have charged just a few extra dollars and put an XT front derailler. So far, I can't say I like the Avid brakes, but that must be an adjustment. Paint job isn't my favorite.

Bottom Line:
For $799, I can't complain about anything, except the brakes. The rear brake doesn't work as well (IMO) as the Shimano on my Agressor. Perhaps it just needs some more adjustment. But with the bar/stem/front upgrade, for a grand, I have a great race and XC bike that, with a lighter shock, would bounce in just over 23-24 lbs. I looked at the SE1, but I didn't need Discs and it was out of my price range. But I couldn't be happier with the bike (or unhappier with the service -- don't buy at Sun and Ski unless you can't get it elsewhere or the price is just too low). I'm rating this a five assuming I can get the brakes adjusted properly. If not, I will trash the Avid and go shimano and rerate this bike appropriately.

Those of you who are not as picky as I am with whats on the bike, but want a top notch bike -- This is it! If you are even more picky than I am, buy the frame at Frankfordbikes.com and build your own. That frame has the SE1 (superior) color scheme. If you simply want a heavy bike, don't like aluminum, don't like Giant's gemoetry, or just have a bad attitude about everything, don't buy this bike.

Purchased At:   Sun& Ski Sport

Similar Products Used:   Own a '99 GT Agressor. Tried or looked at Spec. Stumpjumper and K2 (various). Great bikes, but no one can dispute that Giant has the best bike for the money.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Easton bar with "Stiffy" stem (much better than stock). Soon will add XT front and brakes/shifters/shock will be changed on an as needed basis. Oh, and put the old Agressor upgrade seat on the Giant temporarily.

Submitted by Braxton Berrrett a Cross Country Rider from Riverton, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Strengths:    frame,crankes"raceface prodigy", Titec"stem & bar"

Weaknesses:    Not a real fan of the judy c, and the crappy seat post

Bottom Line:
It is a really good bike for the money. really strong but light frame,it could use a few upgrades, but over all its a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   anything with bumps

Purchased At:   South Valley Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   I got a SID SL, and a easton ct2 seatpost

Submitted by Jesse Racine a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Frame, parts spec. (Raceface, Titec) Great value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Not crazy about the Deore/XT combo.

Bottom Line:
A great bike for the money. The shop made me a deal after Giant had sold out of the Rainier SE, which I originally wanted- I got the XTC SE2 for $800, so I couldn't go wrong. The frame is well-made and light. A great deal for the money. Will upgrade the fork when I find a good deal. Overall, a great bike.

Purchased At:   Loco-Motion Cycles