Giant 2001 Rincon SE Hardtail Bike

4.69/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by sarah rasmussen a Weekend Warrior from perth - wa -australia

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    fram , shokies

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
its real good for its price ive done a bit off road with it and i reckomend it for most bigginers. oulthough i dont want to say to much beacose it feels like the best bike in the world coz my old bike was a cheapo huffy. p.s. im only 11 years old

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   fleets cycles fremantle wa

Similar Products Used:   giant iguana

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Dennis a Weekend Warrior from Beaumont, TX

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    Frame and Equipment

Weaknesses:    Shocks

Bottom Line:
I posted a review when I bought the bike last June. I had it almost a year now and fell a little more qualified to review it now. I loved it then and still love it now. I finaly got to do some real off roading this weekend. Up until now, I was always on the streets. I put the bike through its paces through a residential contruction site. I did learn that if you are riding on truck tracks through dried mud and the tracks are DEEP, don't go in the tracks! You can't pedal. Other than that, the bike performed like a dream. Very easy to manuver and pedal. It shifted great! This was the first time I had to do that much shifting riding and manuvering at the same time. The shocks performed well but are squeeky. I don't know if that is normal or a sign of anything yet. All in all I had a blast on the rough dirt tracks the shell road and the mogul like tracks I found through the brambles (what a shin scratcher though). I still say this is a great starter bike with the best componets you are going to find for the money. Sure you can get better stuff for a lot more money. But you can also get A LOT WORSE stuff for just a little less money. I love my bike and I can't wait to go riding again!

Purchased At:   The Kickstand

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized, Mongoose, Huffy

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Hobart, Tas, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Strengths:    -Good frame for money
-Reliable shifting
-Nice brakes
-Overall good value for beginner bike

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Good for a beginner mtber. No problems with it so far, and that is riding it 50 kms a week for 6 months-not even a puncture!

Purchased At:   McBains Cycles Hobart

Bike Setup:   Suntour forks, Acera/Altus gearing, tektro brakes, hoopster rims, cheapo tyres.

Submitted by Owen a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    shocks are ok, the gears are great!

Weaknesses:    I haven't found one, yet

Bottom Line:
Love the gears, in fact, love the whole setup. I didn't really like bike riding,but my husband convinced me to do it to try and get a bit fitter. This bike isSO easy to ride, the second day we had them (we got one each) we rode for
30km without realising it. For me, that is amazing. I now love riding.

Also, I had a lot of problems with my old bike trying to change gears, this
one is a dream - just click up or down!

Favorite Trail:   carrot mountain

Purchased At:   cycle path

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Redondo Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2001

Strengths:    For the price, you get an alluminum frame instead of steel, it's got pretty good components, looks cool, and is definitely more reliable than the bikes you would buy from wholesale retail stores.

Weaknesses:    The shocks are on the cheap side and I had big time problems with the rims. They bent up within 2 months of me riding. Thankfully, I bought the bike from Performance Bikes and they true the wheels for free.

Bottom Line:
I think this is a great bike to begin mountain biking. I'm just getting into it and I'm so happy that I got a good quality bike so that I don't have to worry about getting hurt or having problems while on the trails.

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Strengths:    good reputation, pretty light, parts are pretty good for a budget hardtail, paint job

Weaknesses:    front and rear der, front fork too mushy but then its only 300.00 bucks! Cant be too picky

Bottom Line:
For the money you cant beat this bike. Yea you can be cheap and go to COSTCO and get one of those "Mongooses" for a few dollars less but its not worth it. If you are starting into the sport get yourself a real bike dont cut too many corners. I've ridden this baby for one year and I havent had any problems(knock on wood). True its not the best bike by far but it will give you fun. Some of the things I'm not crazy about are the fr/rr ders. When you shift under some load they dont grab too well and you have to fumble w/the shifter. Better ders. will fix this I imagine. Front shock is also kind of cheap. I am surprised its lasted this long! The chainrings are a little puny 24-34-42, I like riding flat trails as well.

In the end, there are not too many bikes that will beat this bike in price and quality!!!!

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   Jones Bikes - San Marino, CA

Similar Products Used:   too long ago

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock except for titec enduro 141 handlebar and selle italia saddle. shocks will be the next thing.

Submitted by Sharon a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Strengths:    Good value, great look, easy to change gears, smooth to ride

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Love the gears, in fact, love the whole setup. I didn't really like bike riding, but my husband convinced me to do it to try and get a bit fitter. This bike is SO easy to ride, the second day we had them (we got one each) we rode for 30km without realising it. For me, that is amazing. I now love riding.

Also, I had a lot of problems with my old bike trying to change gears, this one is a dream - just click up or down!

Purchased At:   Strathpine Cycles

Similar Products Used:   This is my first 'real' mountain bike. My previous bike was a cheapie and basically fell apart.

Bike Setup:   Standard - will probably get another seat

Purchased At:   Strathpine Cycles

Bike Setup:   Standard - will probably get another seat

Submitted by Mars from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight
nice frame
good price
nice colours

Weaknesses:    Wheels, derailleurs need trueing/tuning frequently
Front shock seems a bit soft (I haven't used other shocks though, so I wouldn't know the difference)

Bottom Line:
For the money I spent ($560CDN) I think this is a good bike. The light weight frame is great! The only big problem is that I keep bashing the wheels out of true and have to take the bike to the shop for tuning every 2 weeks at least. The shifters work ok (see the Shimano Altus/Acera reviews) but need tuning often, plus they don't take shifting under load very well at all. To accomodate my regular offroading I'll probably have to upgrade the rims, shocks and derailleurs.
For my first bike it is nice. It works great for city and trails, but it wouldn't be good for any real offroading. It seems like it will pass the test of time, but only if you avoid regular offroad jaunts.

Favorite Trail:   anything and everything

Similar Products Used:   This is my first real (not CCM < $150) bike

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Machnsey Park, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight frame, sattle, peddles, aright shifters, grips, brakes work good.

Weaknesses:    shox (sr suntours NOT GOOD), Tires wear down fast, needs better rims for agresseve riding.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It just needs better shox.

Favorite Trail:   bears run

Purchased At:   Humples Bike Rack

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Judy XC (they are awesome!!!), Better tires (thoes rock too)

Submitted by neville from albany, wa, australia

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2001

Strengths:    beefcake frame, smooth, light, responsive

Weaknesses:    shifters screw up after a while

Bottom Line:
excels on the fast and furious tracks. the smooth set up and soft shocks give you a very comfortable ride. This bike also is good on technical tracks because of the responsive nature on it but it's much better going fast.

this bike is recomended to people who like to bush bash and people who want a good bike while still learning. overall a good bike.

Submitted by Gabe Alba a Weekend Warrior from Cranford, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    The frame. Price. Lightness. Smoothness of drivetrain. Fit and finish. Good brakes, even in the rain.

Weaknesses:    None so far; I'll let you know in a few months if any.

Bottom Line:
For $300 I think it's a very fine bike. It's my second real mountain bike; with the Aluxx 6061 frame I can upgrade components in a few years if need be. I think it's a superior value.

Favorite Trail:   yet to come

Purchased At:   Cranford Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Murray crap, Ross mediocrity, Raleigh mountain bike (stolen; I forget model number)

Bike Setup:   Stock, with PostModerne schock seat

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2001

Strengths:    Good starting bike for someone who has no intention of taking it on anything that a hybrid couldn't handle. Good brakes for awhile, decent shifting, nice colors

Weaknesses:    Doesn't keep it's strength long, tires don't last, brakes wear down quick, bike doesn't stand up to moderately hard use. Front shock wayyyyy too soft

Bottom Line:
I gave this bike a rave review under the 2000 edition (prior to the 2001's being available for rating) but some time has passed since then and I feel way more qualified to talk about this bike. If you have ANY intention WHATSOEVER of getting serious about mountain biking, hold off on this bike and go up to the next price range (600-1000 dollars). I've put about 500 miles on this bike in the 4 months that I've had her and she's just barely holding together. The brakes are getting less effective with every day, the rear wheel has come out of true and is wobbling, the bottom bracket is about trashed out and she's needed some new tires for quite some time. If you want a bike that you can take on the paved trails with some jaunts here and there to nice flat hardpacked fireroads, this is the bike for you. Don't take it on anything that begins to resemble singletrack though or your problems will start. I got hooked on riding the first day I started and less than 6 months later I'm already eyeing the "real" bikes because this one won't hold its own on the stuff I like to ride.

Buy it if you ride simple stuff, it's got a great ride to it....if you ride real singletrack or think that you will in the future hold off for a better bike though.

4 flamin' dookies for value....Giant never skimps on components....3 dookies overall. I think that a "mountain" bike should hold up better than this.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   First "real" moutain bike....tested a few other models prior to purchase.

Bike Setup:   Stock plus barends and a computer

Submitted by Dennis a Weekend Warrior from Beaumont, TX

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2001

Strengths:    The frame and the components

Weaknesses:    None yet. (The rear innertube got a hole in it within a week but the bike shop replace it with a new one.)

Bottom Line:
I started out looking for a bike I could ride with my 3 year old around the block. I didn't want to spend much and the bike shop I went to didn't have anything under 500 except the Specialized road bikes. I also was looking for a bike I could ride off road a little on trails or in the Texas hill country. I was about to buy the cheap mongoose when I decided to go to one more bike store. That is where I fell in love with Giant bikes. (especialy this one) The price cant be beat and niether can the equipment for the money. The shifters blew me away compared to the so called "shimano equiped" mongoose. The shifters and shocks might get replaced if I keep riding and as much fun as I'm having on this bike that is a distinct possibility! I tried the Trek out in the same store and liked it also. I just didn't think it fit me as well. This has to be the best bike for someone like me looking to start riding a little. If you quit you didn't loose much and If you keep going what a great starting point.

Purchased At:   The Kickstand