Giant 2001 Rainier SE Hardtail Bike

4.59/5 (51 Reviews)

Submitted by peteflick a Weekend Warrior from washington, dc, usa

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2009

Strengths:    great value

Weaknesses:    many lower end components

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for 8 years. I've upgraded almost every part on the frame. It's nearing it's end of life after some salty winter rides but for now it is still my daily commuter bike.

Favorite Trail:   shaffer farms

Submitted by tyler from savannah, ga

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Strengths:    this is a good bike if you are basically looking for something to piddle around off road a little. they list this as recreational mountain for a reason. if you are into serious cross country, go the extra mile and spend a little more money for a good cross country bike. comes with pretty good parts, feels good riding.

Weaknesses:    okay, i didn't intend to ride cross country, but that's what i ended up doing. taking this bike off road almost every day has taken its toll. the ranier is not a great trail bike. ihave replaced nearly every part on the bike(literally). not because i wanted to, but because they broke. it's also not a light bike, i'm pretty sure it's around 28 lbs, although i've managed to get mine down to 24 lbs. i have had to constantly get tune-ups, usually after every ride (before i replaced all the original parts).

Bottom Line:
it's a good bike, don't get me wrong, but if you intend to be a serious cross country rider, look at something else.

Favorite Trail:   owls roost, NC

Purchased At:   quality bike shop

Bike Setup:   completely unstock ranier... the frame is the only factory part left of the original bike.

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Strengths:    As good as the 2002 model was, the 2003 is much better and looks great.

Weaknesses:    Cheap Hutchinson Mosquito tires. Manatou fork seems to always ooze. Heavier spring replacement kit seems soft with more sag. Manatou says its because of the progressive design of the heavier spring.

Bottom Line:
The '03 model has some nice upgrades from the prior year, with only a slight increase in price. Giant replaced the weak Weinman rims from last year with Mavics, The clip platform pedals are replaced with Shimano 515 clipless, and the 03 gets a much better looking paint job. This bike has been tortured by a 220lb rider with no problems, thanks to a good design, and excellent service from Fort Worth Cycling. The fork seems to ooze a bit more than I think it should, but they tell me this is normal. Disc brake pads on the front wore out after 4 months and were replaced for free. The rear tire was replaced for free after only 2 weeks, so ditch those cheep Mosquito tires and buy something with real tread. The Avid brakes are killer.

Purchased At:   Fort Worth Cycling

Bike Setup:   Manatou Super Axel fork, Avid Mechanical disc brakes, Simano 515 clipless, Mavic Rims, Dior LX rear deraillur, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires, Cane Creek Thudbuster seatpost.

Submitted by Robert Brady a Cross Country Rider from Lebec, California, United States

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Strengths:    Extremely durable. The Avid disc brakes make you stop right then and there. The 27-speed drivetrain really helps with the XC, steep hillclimbs, and light downhills. Light-weight. Due to it's all aluminum frame, it is very strong (I've taken it off of drop-offs as big as 4 feet using the trackstand to wheelie technique.) and weighs about 13 pounds (19-inch frame).

Weaknesses:    Mounting bracket for the front brake broke, so I had to replace the fork. Luckily, it was covered under warranty. The sprockets can't take much abuse, after about eight months of continuous hard riding, whenever I back peddle, it changes gears. And the chain broke after about 4 months of riding. The stock tires get very little traction in the softer dirt, so I had replace the back tire.

Bottom Line:
If your just getting into the mountain biking world, or have been in it for a while and are looking for an inexpensive high quality hard-tail, this is the bike for you. I have had mine for a year, and I LOVE it. I do some very light trials riding (not to be confused with trail riding) with it and have even climbed walls with it. Even though it's tires are less then 2 inches wide (the stock tires measure 1.95 inches), it is still stable enough to ride across planks of wood 2 inches wide (something I do quite often). If you do buy this bike, I HIGHLY recommend that you buy a better off-road tire (I am very happy with my Panaracer tire). All-in-all, I HIGHLY recommend this bike for any rider, except for the truly EXTREME downhillers. It also makes a good entry level XC race bike.

Purchased At:   Pacesetter Bikes in Valencia, California

Similar Products Used:   None. I'm flat broke but saving up for a 2003 Giant XTC AC 1

Bike Setup:   2002 Marzocchi Bomber Fork, Panaracer FireXCpro Tire on the rear.

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Purchased At:   Pacesetter Bikes in Valencia, California

Bike Setup:   2002 Marzocchi Bomber Fork, Panaracer FireXCpro Tire on the rear.

Submitted by Kudzu Kaptain a Cross Country Rider from North Georgia

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    Great Bike for the Money. The Disc brakes rule, although I find myself doing more maintenance with them (but minor things), decent front shocks, real solid frame. Great bike for a novice to the sport.

Weaknesses:    Weight (bit sluggish on climbs), Seat, Cranks...but for $680, it's not like I have a lot to complain about.

Bottom Line:
I didn't ride much over the winter (but have picked it up here this summer). Being somewhat new to the game of offroad riding, I didn't want to spend too much on a new bike and feel like a poser. Uphill I will take anyone on (even with the sluggishness I feel climbing with this bike), since my road experience has made me a strong climber. I still get a bit hesitant on the fast descents, especially if I am new to the trail. Great bike for a newbie or even a amateur to do some hard core riding with. I plan on doing my first off-road triathlon (XTerra) with this bike come next summer.

Purchased At:   Roswell Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z.5 shocks, Avid Disc (front and rear), Suntour Cranks,

Submitted by David from Park City

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    I shoped around a lot and this is, by far, the best bike in this price range. Avid discs, really nice. Great XC bike. Solid foundation, a few upgrades and It will be perfect.

Weaknesses:    Wheels aren't the greatest. Suntour Crankset.

Bottom Line:
Worth every penny. You won't find a better bike in this price range.

Favorite Trail:   Deer Valley Spin Cycle

Purchased At:   Taylor's bike shop

Submitted by Claudio Zavala Jr. a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2002

Strengths:    Value! Avid disc brakes stop on a dime. Frame is race worthy. Climbing and overall riding is great.

Weaknesses:    Components are okay, just upgrade when they wear out or you want to go lighter.

Bottom Line:
Beats out any other bike in this price range. Excellent bike to start up with and upgrade as skill and wallet expands. I see others on bikes twice as much as mine, but I still leave them in my dust on climbs and trails. Had this bike for 1.5 years now, if I were to go back in time I would dtill choose this bike.

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   TREK, Univega, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Rock Shock seatpost, Sella Gel Flite saddle, XT components, Thompson stem.

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from Ann Arbor

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2002

Strengths:    Nice Stiff Frame, Z5 Bomber, Avid Mechanical Brakes, Great Bang for your buck

Weaknesses:    The drivetrain, with the exeption of the rear deraliur. seatpost, grips, also get a new bike if your going to go big.

Bottom Line:
I'm only 13 but I have almost thrashed this thing. This is a good bike for XC but I do alot of FreeRide, Dirt Jumping,Urban Assalt and Downhill. If you are new to biking this is a good bike to get started out on. But once you go over 4 feet on this thing, it falls apart. Now my rear deraliur shifts worse then my friends Alivio. I would say this thing is a good all around bike to get started on. I'm going to save up my pennys to by me an Iron Horse G-Spot or Ginsun or an AC Air. This bike will last a complete newbie about 1 year. Overall its a great ride though and you will become fantasic on the rainier.

Purchased At:   Great Lakes Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500, Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Mosh Half Step Pedals, IRC noto in back, Leader Pro in front, Cheapy Shimano Brake lever (low on $ at time)

Submitted by Michael Munoz a Weekend Warrior from Fresno, Ca.

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2002

Strengths:    Brakes, Forks, Frame. Everything else is satisfactory for a while. But upgrades are needed.

Weaknesses:    Saddle, and wheels

Bottom Line:
I first submitted a review a month after purchase. I got it as soon as I found it in the bike shop. I did all the research and felt a made a great decision. I ride hard on a pretty regular basis off road and alot of hard riding everyday to work. I love this bike. Enough said.

Favorite Trail:   Squaw Leap

Purchased At:   Cyclo Path

Similar Products Used:   Brass Monkey`

Bike Setup:   Titec Bar Ends, Panaracer Fire Pro XC on Mavic 223 rims. Crank Bro Pedals

Submitted by hamstercaster from Gatineau, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Strengths:    Brakes, suspension, frame and overall parts

Weaknesses:    Seat, that's all I can think of. The seat is quite unforgiving and will make you sore very early in the ride. light enough for a bike that price. Pretty good frame

Bottom Line:
I love my new bike. I use it in trails and on the road and it works like a charm every time. Very well equipped for the price. Climbs well, handles very well going downhill in trails. Brakes are awesome and suspension works very well. Would recommend it to anybody who needs an all around good mountain bike. There are much better bikes out there but for the price you can't go wrong. Unless you are competing, you need no more than this awesome bike.

cheers

Favorite Trail:   Meech Lake

Purchased At:   Cyclo Sportif GM Bertrand

Similar Products Used:   last bike I had was a Rocky Mountain Stratos. Doesn't come close to the Rainier

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new seat (Serfas gel seat), Serfas road/offroad tires.

Submitted by sam a Weekend Warrior from ann arbor, mi

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, Fork, Avid Disk Brakes, climbing, Price

Weaknesses:    the pedals are evil, cranks, bb, tires

Bottom Line:
This is a great deal for a bike. I only payed 680 because Great Lakes will take any trade in for 10% off. I mean any, I traded in a beat to hell $200 mongoose. This bike is a great climber. It does everything I need from trail riding to 75 degree downhills with burms, roots, and rocks. This bike realy is good for begginers to intermidiate riders.

Purchased At:   Great Lakes Cycling and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   IRC Noto tire on back, Leader Pro on front. Bought on sale for $15 each.

Submitted by Berto a Cross Country Rider from Kenmore,WA USofA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame,good handling,great shifting,strong wheelset and the best brakes.Oh yeah,very good fork.

Weaknesses:    Sadistic saddle,cheap cranks/bb,Headset cups were mis aligned.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely best bang for your buck aside from Swede mail order bride.5 hot lunches....Ummmmm

Favorite Trail:   Rosie's Fat Face

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Worked in bike shop as wrench,owned/rode many,many bikes.Dropped at least 2lbs by swapping soft heavy steel chainringed cranks and ultra bad cartridge bb for LX/ES-70 setup,changed out steel bead tires with kevlar Panaracers and lighter tubes,got rid of the GOD awful Koski saddle for Ti Flite.Do this for 150-200 bucks and have one nice ride for investment.

Bike Setup:   Sorry,see above.

Submitted by Skydiver-Rider a Cross Country Rider from Ventura, CA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Strengths:    Frame/Disk brakes/fork

Weaknesses:    thin paint/seatpost/seat/tires

Bottom Line:
It's an awesome bike for the money, just read the other reviews. However, the seat sucks (no big deal since an upgrade is pretty cheap) and the seatpost wore out quickly (the teeth were stripped so it didn't hold). Also, I've found a lot of scratches and worn spots on the paint. I replaced the tires with Hutchinson Python Golds and then Panaracers. I also put clipless WTB platform style pedals on (which was a HUGE improvement). The chain does rub a lot on the largest chainring, which is distracting.
That said, it climbes like a sherpa and handles well. It's also fit for upgrades. The disks kick butt, too. All in all it's a great value, but needs upgrades to please for the long term.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon/Guadalasco