Giant 2001 Iguana SE Hardtail Bike

4.04/5 (23 Reviews)

Submitted by Powhanna-J from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2005

Strengths:    Strong frame, solid fork. Took everything I threw at it and all I've changed in the past three years is the brake pads, and recently the chain and casette.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but you can't stop this ride!

Bottom Line:
I took this bike on Utah trails far and wide, from the Porcupine rim and Slickrock, to the Wasatch Crest trail and this bike handled everything like a dream. Threw on a thud buster and bamb, full-suspension was at my fingertips. I love this bike as it has taken my 210lb frame and made a XC enthusiast out of me. There is no better bike for the money and I will never let this one go.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine rime

Purchased At:   Hornet Sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   Giant butte (tank), kona hanahana

Bike Setup:   Stock with a thud buster suspension seatpost.

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Encino, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Strengths:    Great beginner mountain bike, decent price for o.k components. Deeore derailure is pretty good. Overall solid structure

Weaknesses:    Fork, the Rock Shock Judy TT isn't very good. Has no adjustments to it, preload, lockout, rebound, none of it.

Bottom Line:
It's a very good beginner bike for my first few years, but if you drastically improve very fast, this bike is not for you, for 200 more bucks you can get something alot better. It was fine for me for 2 years, but I just had to let go. It is very dependable, I have friends with Deeore LX deraileurs and they've had many problems. The regualr deeore might not be the best put it sure is dependable. I am currently 16 years old, and it served me well as a beginner. If you plan to improve alot, i'd suggest upgrade to a better hardtail, but if you want to take cross country riding easy, i would very much reccomend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Reseda T2

Purchased At:   Cycology

Similar Products Used:   My new bike is a full suspension but I have tried the boulder SE

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by char Hardimon a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    Purchased Iguana 2003 model with the new Pilot Rock Shox forks wich give a nice smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Cant complain. This is a good mid entry level bike.

Bottom Line:
Good value for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Woodford fire trail

Purchased At:   Blackmans

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike is an Avanti Pro series competitor. Paid 3 time as much for it, but enjoy riding iggy more.

Submitted by Glen Man a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    It's been said in every review so far but the catch with this bike is that it is an incredible value! The shifters along with rear derailleur and cogs work well enough for competition. It's light and strong for the price. Looks great. Good stock seat.

Weaknesses:    Again, everyone has said it but the cranks and front derailleur are considerably less then competition performance (ok, they kind of suck). The upright seating position makes it a bit more effort to keep the front wheel on the ground during steep climbs.

Bottom Line:
I have to give this bike full marks. I've entered the sport as a novice and found that my bike was able to allow me to grow. By now I ride well and find this bike will take me much farther. I did a lot of study before buying the bike and found it to be the best buy for under a $1000 Canadian. Now my passion for the sport runs high and I've studied and ridden the spectrum of bikes it competes with and again, I find that nothing can touch this bike.

Some may disagree but I like the seat more then seats that are worth 5x as much. After countless kilometers it's never made me sore.

I plan on changing the front derailleur to Deore to match my crank upgrade to complete the Deore component drivetrain. After all my upgrades are done, the bike has still only cost $1000 Canadian (about $650 US) and the bike competes with others worth $250 US more.

The upright position is apparently better on the 2002, but I still feel comfortable with the 25 degree stem. In fact, while on the road it's actually kind of nice.

This is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   The Birches

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle and Ski

Similar Products Used:   All the under $1000 bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Deore crank set.

Submitted by John Mering a Cross Country Rider from Boise, Idaho, U.S.

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2002

Strengths:    none for the price paid ($600)

Weaknesses:    -bottom bracket comes loose frequently
-cheap tires
-preload adjuster broke on Judy TT fork
-heavy
-Could have better front derailler than Shimano Alivio
-Had to upgrade rear derailler to Shimano Deore XT
-Tektro brake handles come loose

Bottom Line:
The Giant Iguana is a good hardtail for a beginner rider. If you have some experience, you'll need a bike with better components.

Favorite Trail:   Sidewinder

Purchased At:   Bob's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fischer Aquila

Submitted by Walter a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    -price
-solid frame
-most components
-can take a beating

Weaknesses:    -SR crankset
-bottom bracket
-worthless pedals

Bottom Line:
Very good bike for the price, but you get what you pay for!
Great for a first bike. Aimed at beginners/intermediates - note the upright seating position.

Gaint gives you a very good frame (strong, kinda light)fork, derailleurs, shifters and brakes, but from then on they try to save money. That is why....:
My bb stopped turning after 4 months and I dont even do jumps.
My chain got completely stuck between the front chainrings, because the gap was too wide (sloppy manufacturing)! That is also why front shifting was bad - not the Alivio's fault.
I've had to true the rear wheel twice.
Tighten the head every now and then.
I've had to pay an extra 130 dollars for upgrades.
I can have heaps of fun really trashing the bike, cause its worth less than a car (unlike other peoples bikes!).
Buy it, you'll like it in the long run.

Favorite Trail:   Where no-one has gone before

Purchased At:   Willie Engelbrecht Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Trek, Specialised, other Gaints

Bike Setup:   Clipless pedals, longer less angled stem, Koolstop brakepads, Deore crankset and BB.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    - everything but the weaknesses

Weaknesses:    - Judy TT fork, Alivio front derailleur, Tektro brake levers, 25 degree stem was too upright (quick and easy swap through the LBS). Pedals with toe straps.
- Note: you get what you pay for, wouldn't expect better components for the price.

Bottom Line:
- worth every penny, especially for the weekend warrior
- worthy of occasional XC racing with a few upgrades

Favorite Trail:   Birch Trail, MB

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle & Ski, Winnipeg, MB

Similar Products Used:   - 1995 Raleigh Serengeti rigid.

Bike Setup:   - stock with the exception of the stem, changed to an inverted 15 degree.
- 1st real upgrade will be the pedals

Submitted by Keiron a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    - light weight
- performance
- well balanced component mix
- value for money

Weaknesses:    - non disc rotor ready front Acera hub, no caliper provision on rear stay for brake upgrade to disc (minor)
- SR/Suntour crankset (minor) shifting
- one length crank (175mm) for all frame sizes

Bottom Line:
As an entry level MTB rider, I took the opportunity to save some cash with the Iguana se 2001 model which met my needs with its front V-brake. Overall the bike is light, user friendly & responsive representing great value for money. The lightweight reliable components offer above average performance making the bike an absolute pleasure to ride.
Your average non-competitive rider from entry level through to intermediate would be hard pressed not be delighted with this package. The bike is a great climber, although getting sufficient weight over the rear wheel to avoid wheelspin on those steeper climbs can be a traction challenge. This could of course be exacerbated by a lack of expertise on my part.

Only a couple of minor niggles. Whilst chain suck hasn't been a problem, the SR/Suntour chainwheel lifter design destroys the otherwise silky smoothness of the Deore RapidFire shifters and Deore rear derailleur. Reading the earlier comments here, initially I had blamed the Alivio front derailleur. But IMHO it isn't. Whilst the SR kit is not inadequate, I suspect replacing the SR chainwheel/crankset with Deore would smoothen out front chainwheel change, improving and balancing overall geartrain performance. However it's not urgent, just desirable. Also, with an S frame and being of short inseam, I would also have preferred 170 or 172mm cranks instead of 175. Minor niggles though. I'll just replace the SR with a 170 spin Deore when it wears out. Even on the 2002 Iguana you need to replace it to get that. Overall 5 chills for value, with 4 overall rating for that SR MD302 crankset & one size fits all crank arm length fitment.

Favorite Trail:   none yet

Similar Products Used:   Road bikes only - first MTB

Bike Setup:   Stock plus SPD pedals (SH-M424) & Cateye Enduro 2 computer. (Michelin WildGripper Comps fitted stock to Australian model)

Submitted by Kieran Koch-Smith a Cross Country Rider from Prince George,B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    Good forks sweet brakes for the value. Its a light one. Great for going uphills because its soooo light. about 23 pounds.

Weaknesses:    front deraler kinda sux but thats about it

Bottom Line:
This bike kick assss. If you want a light easy to ride bike buy this one.I can beat guys on bikes that are as much as my dads car.

Favorite Trail:   dont have one YET

Purchased At:   Olympia

Similar Products Used:   trek 4900,brodie alpha

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Craig Fulton a Weekend Warrior from CAlgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Strengths:    Good Solid Frame, Excellent components (except Fr. derailleur), great value, rides well in city and cross-country.

Weaknesses:    The front derailleur (Alivo) needs to be upgraded and If you want to do more cross country a wider tire would be good. And ditch the current pedals for clipless ones if you want (I did).

Bottom Line:
Awsome bike for the cash, well built, and rides well anywhere. I would bike this bike again.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in Kananaskis

Purchased At:   Ridley's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   The only thing I'd ever ridden until this bike was Raleigh. Last one was the Serenghetti.

Bike Setup:   Aluminum frame, Judy TT fork, Alivo and Deore derailleurs, Tektro v-brakes,

Submitted by Dingo Dan a Weekend Warrior from Colo. Sprgs., CO

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Strengths:    Giant is really cool about waranting the bike. Ride Giant!!
Ive broken the frame many times, and giant gives me a new frame, no questions asked!!!. great value!

Weaknesses:    crappy components, yet the value makes up for it

Bottom Line:
Giant is the best bike company by far because their stuff is cheap, works well, and Giant is willing to replace a frame and renew a warranty.

Favorite Trail:   chutes ( its all downhill with berms)

Purchased At:   Cycle therapy

Bike Setup:   sram 9.0/xt/marzocchi Z2 Atom 80

Submitted by Duane a Weekend Warrior from Carrollton, GA USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2001

Strengths:    This is my second Mt. Bike, my first was a school commuter.
I rode several bikes in this price range and found that this one fit me the best. This bike can take a pounding and keep going.

Weaknesses:    Components are a good value, but need upgrading. Will do for now. Don't like the seat and plan on replacing it soon.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. Can take what you dish out and keeps going.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Purchased At:   Perpetual Motion

Similar Products Used:   Giant Ranier, Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   Stock for now

Submitted by Owen from Alexandria, Va

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Strengths:    Nice strong frame A little on the heavy side. Would have bought something better but for a budget it is decent.

Weaknesses:    High weight parts where it matters (Wheels.)Squishy brakes but to be expected in this price range.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the budget. Don't have your sights set on the finish line without upgrades.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000 with LX and XT, Trek 4500 and 4900

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Meccaspy a Weekend Warrior from Fremont

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent frame, I like the metallic green/black color scheme.

Weaknesses:    25 degree "comfort" stem, Suntour Crankset, Kenda Tires

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the price. I bought this bike to try and get my riding rythm back and it is an excellent performer. If you are a beginner to intermediate rider looking for a good value then this is it. Just change out the stem, crankset, and the tires and you will have yourself one burly bike! I enjoy riding this bike with my friends who are more advance then I am and ride FS bikes. I will be riding this hardtail for awhile! RIDE GIANT!

Favorite Trail:   Still looking...

Purchased At:   Performance