Giant 2000 Yukon SE Hardtail Bike

4.19/5 (26 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2013

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    I can't see any

Bottom Line:
I came here to look at the reviews for this bike because I have found one and I wanted to see what things people say about them. I wanted to thank you guys for that. this seems to be a Great find for the price I found it for. 35.00 is quite the bargain apparently. can't wait to be the new owner. ;O)

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from MA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    Solid Frame

Weaknesses:    Shifters which showed signs of malfunction after 6 months. Ghost shifting or would not engage all the way.

Bottom Line:
Good for the beginner which I was when I received this bike. I beat on it pretty hard and it held up to multiple summers of 24 miles daily. Met its end when I tried some terrain i was not qualified for and bent the down tube pretty badly along with my chest wall. Overall a good buy for introductory XC people.

Purchased At:   Browns

Bike Setup:   Stock except for clip less pedals, gel seat, and new grips

Submitted by Jerred Darling a Cross Country Rider from Marshall, Mi, usa

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    great bike for the price, low maintance, always shifts great, handles great, does everything great. I've ridin this bike hard for years. I ride it to work daily, and trails on weekends. I've taking it all over the country and it has always done great. I rode a 77 mile gravel trail for 2 days and never had a problem. I've loade it with 60 extra pounds of camping gear and it handled it like nothing. I absolutly Love this bike. took 5 years of hard riding for parts to start to wear. rear derailuer works great, I replaced mine with a LX and wish I hadn't. stops better than anything i've ever owned. shifters are a cheap model but havn't failed me yet and the rear always does what I want it to.

Weaknesses:    crashed once and bent the chainrings, bottom bracket got full of sand, my wheels did bend" but which don't", trued the front once and the rear twice and the haven't bent hardly at all since. the fork is OK not enough travel, my bike came with a 1999 JETT not the 2000 model, mine doesn't give me much trouble, it doesn't realy stick at all but tops-out to much when my front wheel is off the ground. could use lighter parts but you could get those if you buy the next model up from the Yukon. doesn't have a barrel adjuster on front shifter, front derailuer is hard to get tuned perfect.

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE FOR THE AVERAGE RIDER, GREAT VALUE, I THRASH MINE AND IT ALMOST NEVER FAILS. I STRIP, CLEAN, AND TUNE MINE EVERY WINTER AND NEVER HAVE TO MESS WITH IT THE REST OF THE YEAR. I'VE RIDEN IT FOR 5 YEARS NOW AND WILL PROBABLY RIDE IT FOR 5 MORE, MY PARTS ARE STARTING TO WEAR, JUST GOT TO DO SOME UPGRADES TO LIGHTER PARTS JUST TO KEEP UP WITH THE NEWER MORE EXPENSIVE BIKES.

Favorite Trail:   fort custer

Purchased At:   Alfred E. Bike Kalamazoo, MI

Similar Products Used:   MY OLD GIANT SEDONA AND IGUANA, MY BUDDY'S TREK AND GT. THE TREK AND GT WERE BOTH THE SAME YEAR AS MY YUKON WITH ALMOST IDENTICAL PARTS AND THE GIANT WAS THE LIGHTEST AND CHEAPEST.

Bike Setup:   ALMOST STOCK, PUT A SHIMANO LX REAR DERAILUER ON AND A XT BOTTOM BRACKET. GT PEDALS WITH SHORTY TOE CLIPS, ONLY CHANGED THOSE BECAUSE IT WAS FASTER THAN SWAPING THE CLIPS.

Submitted by Johnny Langer from Newfoundland, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    It's wanting to go and keep going. Very little attention needed to the adjustments. Adjust everything in the Spring and I'm good all summer, 3 years straight.

Weaknesses:    Rim and spoke combination, they are very weak and need to be trued more that I care for.
I upgraded the pedals before I left the shop.
I have a set of off-road tires and a set of street tires, when I finally upgrade the rims I will keep the original for the street only.

Bottom Line:
I got back into Biking about 5 years ago and started with a junker from a flea market. I'm glad I upgraded to the Yukon. This is by far the best bike I have rode. Off-Road and Street. It's a real trooper, very reliable. I recommend it to any daily commuter or weekend warrior.

Favorite Trail:   What ever I ride on.

Purchased At:   Earle Industries

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Stock setup on this puppy. No need to upgrade, haven't broke anything in the 3 1/2 years of riding it

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Western New York

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    Light, yet sturdy Frame
Rapid Fire shifters are nice
Great price
Over looks are impressive

Weaknesses:    I've had many tire repairs. Also, I didn't care much for the stock saddle. Forks get sticky quickly if not kept clean and lubed.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. I've put 2500 miles on it with very few adjustments. I bought it new in 2001 and only ride six to seven months out of the year. I don't abuse it much, but on occasion I do get off the beaten path and the Yukon handles it just fine. I highly recommend it for the weekend warrior.

Favorite Trail:   Erie Canal Towpath

Purchased At:   The Bike Zone

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh, Gary Fisher, Trek

Bike Setup:   I replaced the saddle with one that was right for me.

Submitted by John Arsenault a Cross Country Rider from Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    -front and back derailers
-strong frame

Weaknesses:    -extremely poor tubes, tires, and rims. prepare for several popped, and worn tires
-crapy fork i replaced my jetts with judyXC

Bottom Line:
This is an all around excellent bike i use to get back and forth to work, it also it a good trail bike excellent for jumping and speed when u need it.

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Loaf Mnt.

Purchased At:   peak performane

Similar Products Used:   GT arressor 1.0

Bike Setup:   ???

Submitted by Matt Johnson a Cross Country Rider from North Mankato, MN, United States

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome

Bottom Line:
very great and light and fast

Favorite Trail:   Sakatah Trail

Purchased At:   A-1 Bike Shop , Mankato, MN

Similar Products Used:   nothing

Bike Setup:   i am not sure

Submitted by David D a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, British Columbia

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Strengths:    The frame geometrics are outstanding. The wheelbase and seatpost set put me right over the cranks, making for acceleration that borders on explosive. For long rides I just set the saddle back maybe 1-2 cm more and bingo, I have a touring bike.

Weaknesses:    Didn't expect much from the stock components on this bike, and am not surprised to find they are wearing quickly. The saddle and the stock brake pads are very weak. Change that saddle in the shop unless you like 'numb bum', and any serious speed will melt rubber to your rims, so buy quality brake pads.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for a stop-gap. I figured it would last a year. See, I'm hard on a bike; a 40Km daily commute, a camping trailer averaging 60-80Kg, and my youngest son has Cerebral Palsy, so he and his Trail-a-bike go 90Kg off the seatpost. This bike handles it all. The stock components, while far from top end stuff, have really surprised me by standing up and resisting the wear I put on them. Maintenance and cleaning is key. When I strip all the commuting stuff off this bike and hit the trails, the geometrics, stiff frame and tight suspension get me on all but the most technical single track and a great deal of unsuccessful downhill. My bottom line? If you've bought it already, keep it clean and it'll run well. If you're still looking, buy it if you can strip it down, open it up and keep it up. I'm not getting rid of it, and if those cheap components ever cr*p out, I'll upgrade. I'm very happy with this bike. And you know what else? Blue with the silver details looks great.

Favorite Trail:   Galloping Goose & Hartland

Purchased At:   The Bike Cellar

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Raleigh

Bike Setup:   The saddle and brake pads were first, changed for quality. I've rigged the bike to live commuting here on the "Wet Coast". I've put on clipless pedals, carrier and bags, fenders, a nice set of NiteHawk dual lights, and an air horn that has saved my butt more than once.

Submitted by Ty Widegren a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    very light, stiff frame. comfortable riding position and good gear ratios to ride wheelies forever

Weaknesses:    The only thing that i can think of is the front shocks seemed a little soft when i was offroading really hard

Bottom Line:
Sweet bike for the money. I can tell it will last me a while. I ride my bike 20 miles round trip to college and it's sweet for cruising while at the same time, i've taken it on some gnarly trails. It stood up very well. it's got great power delivery with comfort. I'd recommend this bike to anyone who wants a good lookin', long lasting bike, with which, they can cruise or hit the steep. best bike for the $400 range

Favorite Trail:   foresthill area

Purchased At:   Pacific bikes

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Brent Burton a Weekend Warrior from Torrance, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Strengths:    Nice sturdy frame, very light weight.. Its also a very good looking bike mine happens to be the blue frame with the black and silver neck.

Weaknesses:    I would have to say the components are pretty cheap.

Bottom Line:
Its an excellent bike for beginners, also if you find that mountain biking is your thing and wish to continue the sport you can upgrade your components and you will still have paid less then most of the competition. I also prefer to upgrade myself that way I have full say in what parts go on my bike and I can mix and match...

Similar Products Used:   Rincon

Bike Setup:   front suspension-Rockshox Jett, Crank-Suntour, Front and Rear deraileur are both low end Shimano, Front and Rear Brakes also came with low end Shimano.

Submitted by Alex Morlanne a Downhiller from Plantation, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    Great bike for the price. Takes a lickin and keeps on clickin! Good lookin bike that's pretty well put together.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars too wide, Rock Shox bottom out (rider 190+), seat uncomfortable, rims too heavy

Bottom Line:
First bike I've bought in 10 years. I have to say things have changed! I am extremely happy with the bike although I will have to invest in upgrades (cranks, rims, tires, shifter, handlebar) but the frame is extremely sturdy and light. This is a good starter bike and with alittle cash can be upgraded to a premium mtn bike with nothing to envy from Cannondale, Klein or Jamus.

Favorite Trail:   All of them!

Purchased At:   Bell Bike Shop - No Miami

Bike Setup:   Shortened handlebars by 3" (perfect), installed end grips, changed tires to Panacer 2.1's, upgarded front fork to Manitou with stiffiner, Rock Shox suspension seat post, replaced seat with Liberator seat.

Submitted by Kyle Sideroff a Weekend Warrior from Coqitlam, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Strengths:    Great bike..The frame rocks, supper strong fame!!!! Supper light!!!!

Weaknesses:    A few of the copondents suck..Example= Crappy peadles.. Front shocks seem to bob up and down when peadling.

Bottom Line:
This bike all togeather i think rocks. You cant beat the frame for that price and i think that the bike handels really well.It rides and looks sharp. Over all if i could i would give it more than 5 chilies!!!!

Purchased At:   Cant rember..

Similar Products Used:   Giant Recon

Bike Setup:   Stalk

Submitted by Christopher Annandale a Weekend Warrior from Vanderbijlpark, South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Strengths:    Very Good frame geometry. Very light, for the price.

Weaknesses:    All round components are weak, but not bad for the price

Bottom Line:
On my previous bike I had a tendency to fall over the handle bars. Comes in the great geometry of Giant. Much better on downhills as well as on climbs. After spending some $$$ on upgrading to better components this is a great all round bike for cross country as well as technical routes.

Favorite Trail:   Bass Lake

Purchased At:   Heartbeat Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Gary Fischer

Bike Setup:   LX Groupset, Mavic X517 Wheels, Manitou Spider fron shock.

Submitted by bird nflight a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    Light,good-looking and value. Also, it seems very tough both mechanically and cosmetically.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars are too wide.

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry-level bike. So far, I have replaced only the seat, putting an anatomical seat for women on it. I also added to the pedals by putting the plastic frame for straps but not the straps themselves. This bike is a great value and seems tough. I rode this bike downhill at Lajitas, reaching speeds of up to 18 mph on rocks and boulders and it took it just fine, no mechanical or cosmetic damage.

Favorite Trail:   Cypresswood