Giant 2000 XtC Hardtail Bike

4.29/5 (72 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by CAROL a Cross Country Rider from POWAY, CA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    GREAT FIRST DESCENT BIKE. VERY FAST AND LIGHT

Weaknesses:    BARS WERE TO WIDE HAD TO CUT A GOOD INCH OFF BOTH SIDES TO WIDE FOR SINGLE TRACK. GOT RID OF FORMULA SET UP AND REPLACED IT WITH HAYES. MUCH HAPPIER .ALWAYS CHAIN SLOP YOU JUST IGNORE IT

Bottom Line:
I HAVE USED AND ABUSED THIS BIKE AND IT SHOWS. GOT A GOOD 2000 - 3000 MILES ON IT. I THINK THATS PRETTY GOOD. LOTS OF DIRT LOTS OF WATER AND MUD AND WE GONE OVER A CLIFF. IT TAKES WHAT EVER YOU CAN DISH OUT. THIS BIKE HAS GREAT CONTROL ON DOWNHILLS I USUALLY WIN.

Favorite Trail:   CORRAL CANYON /KERIN CYCLE TRAIL

Purchased At:   J & M BIKES

Bike Setup:   WAS STOCK, MADE SOME UPGRADES ON THE DEARAILERS

Submitted by joe from kingwood, texas, usa

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Strengths:    super light, climbs like a goat,excellent value, hauls a§§!

Weaknesses:    at first the brakes were unbearable but after a week there fine,after a year of hard riding i started to hear a lot of noise from inside the crank. Also the crank bolt on the left hand side has fallen out twice while i was riding.

Bottom Line:
for the value it cant be beaten. IT climbs like a dream, too good for the tires actually. It is super light and fast. All though it is a mountain bike i can keep up with many road cyclists.After a bout 1200 or miles the crank bolt came off( fixed with lock tite), the back tire was worn down(partially my fault to much concrete) and now when i stand up and really grind on it the crank makes a lot of noise. I dont what it is im fairly light at 135 so i dunno. Except for that 1 problem i cant fix the bike is awesome. the only thing i really wana upgrade is the fork. i give a 5 for value but a 4 because of the noise otherwise it would of got a 5.

Purchased At:   planetary cycles

Similar Products Used:   trek 4900

Bike Setup:   stock with a new rear tire

Submitted by el ray a Cross Country Rider from someplace in the midwest

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Strengths:    mad-figgin' light frame...

Weaknesses:    scratches easily

Bottom Line:
This frame is so light and stiff and strong and beautiful and fast... the heavy hydracoil fork that's on mine makes the dang thing so front-heavy that big-air means dirt sandwich -- don't throw some heavy coil fork on it; buy it stock or give her an SID and you will be in heaven... She may be a lightening bolt but she's not for everyone - only those who want a screaming-fast race ready bike should apply. This hardtail is stiff and uncompromising...

Favorite Trail:   grandview lake

Similar Products Used:   '98 fisher joshua x1

Bike Setup:   judy race; mostly xtr or high-end stuff - I bought some dude's project bike so I can only speak for the frame...

Submitted by martin ### a Cross Country Rider from melbourne,vic,auatralia

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2002

Strengths:    i love this bike,it has many positive things about it. the coponets chosen by giant are all good

Weaknesses:    the headset gas a dam creaky noise in it

Bottom Line:
i have and i will stick with giant my whole life beacuse their products are very trust worthy and you can depend on giant any time!
i got a good price too

Favorite Trail:   'the track' and brimmy

Purchased At:   bike store

Similar Products Used:   atx 750 '96

Bike Setup:   fully xtr drive chain,the rest stock

Submitted by Jason Kanis a Weekend Warrior from Campbell, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Super Climber!!
light weight
Great overall, initial value.

Weaknesses:    pedals, low grade cockpit, rear derailleur, crank loosens

Bottom Line:
I love this bike!!! It's a great climber, and pretty straight on the downs. Being just short of 6ft, the changes I made to the cockpit were not only for quality but to improve the geometry. I had a bit of trouble with the crank bolts coming loose, especially on the LF side, but a little locktite solves that fast. Yes in the beginning the brakes do squeel, but just give them time, and they set in nicely. I replaced the rear derailleur; even after adding an Avid Rollamagig to the stock LX, I still found it to fall out of sinc too easily on rougher trails. Great hardtail for beginners-med riders. Bottom line is, this frame kicks!! You can always upgrade specs, but build around this frame!

Favorite Trail:   Wilder-Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump Comp.

Bike Setup:   Stock + Race Face System, Answer Pro Taper riser, XT rear, Shimano M646

Submitted by mike larocca a Weekend Warrior from kansas city mo

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Strengths:    I love the climbing.Handles real nice I love the shocks they handle real nice on the trails

Weaknesses:    I need stronger legs

Bottom Line:
nice ride i think ill keep this one for a while Its light weight helps me on long climes.this is the secont mountain bike i have owened and i feel real smooth on it

Purchased At:   river mkt cyclery

Bike Setup:   stock I put a rock shock seat post on it

Submitted by justin cafferty a Downhiller from moscow idaho

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Strengths:    first off i should say that i bought this as a frame only option, and built the bike from the ground up. it's definetely light...has cool looking paint job too

Weaknesses:    this frame creakes and snaps at me constantly. May be because I didn't use an integrated headset, but sound seems to be coming from all areas (cranks, headset, seatpost, etc.)

Bottom Line:
wasn't really the frame I wanted to buy, because I do a lot of trials riding on it. I'm not much for cross country, but that seems to be what this frame is suited best for. THe price was right, and I'm a tall guy who needs a big frame (21.5"), so i had to settle with this frame. Now i can understand what many of you are saying about the frame being weak, for mine creakes constantly, and it does feel and sound like there's nothing under you, but I have not had any problems with the durability aspects of this frame so far. of course I have a zocchi on front that soaks up a lot of the hits, and the mammoth rims are so strong that little of the stress gets to the frame. still, I have my doubts...I weigh a lot, and only time will tell if this frame will hold up. still, I have a hard time believeing you guys who say that you can bend the frame with your fingers. I take five foot drops and ride trials, and everynow and then I take this bike out for a downhill run as well. If I haven't broke this frame yet, with my 230 lb. fat ass, then I see no reason why anyone else would either. maybe you guys need to learn how to work on your bikes and keep up on maintanence. anyhow, this frame has satisfied me so far, at least until i get the cash to buy a nice dual slalom frame. value was exceptional, overall rating is high as well (with the exception of the creaks, which I've learned to live with).

Favorite Trail:   bald mountain

Purchased At:   paradise creek

Similar Products Used:   first high class hardtail i've owned. I generally ride my fsr with marzocchi mcr, sun mammoth rims, etc...

Bike Setup:   marzocchi z3 qr 20, sun mammoth rims, race face stem and seat post, prodigy bars, oury grips, xt lx drivetrain, etc...

Submitted by Dave Goodwin a Cross Country Rider from Plaistow, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is awesome. This thing can take a beating. Race Face cranks and Hell Bent handle bar.

Weaknesses:    brakes are a little shoddy, but upgradable.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great deal. Although the components are average for the price, the frame is well worth it. Over time you can upgrade and have the sweetest bike on the trail!

Favorite Trail:   Bear Brook

Purchased At:   private sale

Bike Setup:   I have mavic crossmax ust disc on it!

Submitted by ol dirty from anywhere the military sends him

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an update to a post from over a year ago. This rig still rocks! Only had to replace the bb and the left shifter so far. Not too shabby! I still love this bike like I did on the first date. Serious machine for the money. I still give it a five flamin' people who try to run me down.

Favorite Trail:   still like the sick ones

Submitted by Jon Downey a Cross Country Rider from Norfolk, NE USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Strengths:    frame, brakes, fork

Weaknesses:    chainstay/brake assembly

Bottom Line:
Nice ride, Giant's paint seems easily chipped, Koski saddle isn't real comfortable. Very good deal for the money. Handles great, climbs good and decends well.

Favorite Trail:   Yellowbanks

Purchased At:   Andrew BIcycle and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose, Diamondback, Raleigh, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   mostly stock, platform pedals, SDG Bel-Air saddle, changing to an Easton riser bar

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Spartanburg, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Strengths:    Components, wheels, frame integrity, handling on technical courses, weight, brakes.

Weaknesses:    Stem wrong length, fork stiffeners too soft, saddle too narrow.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the money. Couldn't a find a better alumimum frame with disk brakes and strong wheels. I'm a tall, heavy rider and had to change around the stem and replace the fork stiffeners to made the ride a little more solid for me. Bike handles great on tight, technical single track. Doesn't climb as comfortably as I would like though, my back tightens up after 2 hours. I like the brakes. The noise stopped after a couple of rides. For the first time I'm able to stop and lock up wheels after rolling through mud and streams. If you are on a budget and are looking for a solid bike, this ones for you.

Favorite Trail:   Southside Park

Purchased At:   Great Escape

Similar Products Used:   Giant Cadex carbon fiber

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by William Murray from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap,Light,srong

Weaknesses:    dents easily Intergrated head set

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike for the money. People like to talk crap about giant bikes but I usually pass them on xc rides. It rides like a bike that costs way more. Pretty much the same geometry as their full suspension bike of the year!

Favorite Trail:   Stair Gaps

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   CrackandFail Kona Specialized

Bike Setup:   xt xtr z1 x-fly hope disk king hubs ryno lite rims easton carbon bars thompson post

Submitted by rzon a Weekend Warrior from up yonder

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Strengths:    Great deal on a bike of this caliber. Stiff, light frame and good component base that could use a little upgrade love. Deore and LX work surprisingly well.

Weaknesses:    Formula MD-1's! Giant doesn't use them on their 2001 models. Giant skimped on the brake levers and hubs. Stiff frame.

Bottom Line:
A good bike for your money. There is definitely some cheap componentry on the bike, but I recommend swapping it at the time of purchase. Get a set of Hayes brakes. I put on a carbon fiber/kevlar post to counter the stiff ride from the aluminum frame. I have it set up as an urban disturbin', XC ride. Put a longer travel fork on it, and the XTC can handle about anything. When the frame breaks, I'll buy a planet-X.

Similar Products Used:   tried some fishers and treks in the shop.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Avid speed dial 7s, avid mech discs, IRC Kujos, XTR front der., Sun Ringle ZuZu's, KORE stem, Oury grips, Easton seatpost.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    light! strong for intended use (so far....) fast, climbs well

Weaknesses:    none so far....

Bottom Line:
I haven't been on it long, but some hard rides in the last few weeks, now that trails are opening have made me happy. Some good long rides around Fruita; rocky rough stuff. No durability issues so far. Picked up the frame for $325 including shipping from Frankford bike off the web. Comes with headtube adapters if you want to use a non integrated headset.

Hey, it's a 3 pound frame for fast xc riding/racing. if you're doing urban hardcore or trials stuff, of course you'll probably f*%k up your frame. For such a light frame, it's only going to take so much. my first aluminum frame, so the jury is still out. way stiff compared to my ti or steel bikes.

5 on value, since i only bought the frame, then built it up. 4 on overall, because i've only been on it for a little while.

if you are looking for a fast, stiff xc ride/racer, and not going for big huge stunts, go for it!