Giant 2000 XtC SE2 Hardtail Bike

4.35/5 (20 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by CAROL a Cross Country Rider from POWAY, CA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    GREAT FIRST DESCENT BIKE. VERY FAST AND LIGHT

Weaknesses:    BARS WERE TO WIDE HAD TO CUT A GOOD INCH OFF BOTH SIDES TO WIDE FOR SINGLE TRACK. GOT RID OF FORMULA SET UP AND REPLACED IT WITH HAYES. MUCH HAPPIER .ALWAYS CHAIN SLOP YOU JUST IGNORE IT

Bottom Line:
I HAVE USED AND ABUSED THIS BIKE AND IT SHOWS. GOT A GOOD 2000 - 3000 MILES ON IT. I THINK THATS PRETTY GOOD. LOTS OF DIRT LOTS OF WATER AND MUD AND WE GONE OVER A CLIFF. IT TAKES WHAT EVER YOU CAN DISH OUT. THIS BIKE HAS GREAT CONTROL ON DOWNHILLS I USUALLY WIN.

Favorite Trail:   CORRAL CANYON /KERIN CYCLE TRAIL

Purchased At:   J & M BIKES

Bike Setup:   WAS STOCK, MADE SOME UPGRADES ON THE DEARAILERS

Submitted by joe from kingwood, texas, usa

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Strengths:    super light, climbs like a goat,excellent value, hauls a§§!

Weaknesses:    at first the brakes were unbearable but after a week there fine,after a year of hard riding i started to hear a lot of noise from inside the crank. Also the crank bolt on the left hand side has fallen out twice while i was riding.

Bottom Line:
for the value it cant be beaten. IT climbs like a dream, too good for the tires actually. It is super light and fast. All though it is a mountain bike i can keep up with many road cyclists.After a bout 1200 or miles the crank bolt came off( fixed with lock tite), the back tire was worn down(partially my fault to much concrete) and now when i stand up and really grind on it the crank makes a lot of noise. I dont what it is im fairly light at 135 so i dunno. Except for that 1 problem i cant fix the bike is awesome. the only thing i really wana upgrade is the fork. i give a 5 for value but a 4 because of the noise otherwise it would of got a 5.

Purchased At:   planetary cycles

Similar Products Used:   trek 4900

Bike Setup:   stock with a new rear tire

Submitted by Jason Kanis a Weekend Warrior from Campbell, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Super Climber!!
light weight
Great overall, initial value.

Weaknesses:    pedals, low grade cockpit, rear derailleur, crank loosens

Bottom Line:
I love this bike!!! It's a great climber, and pretty straight on the downs. Being just short of 6ft, the changes I made to the cockpit were not only for quality but to improve the geometry. I had a bit of trouble with the crank bolts coming loose, especially on the LF side, but a little locktite solves that fast. Yes in the beginning the brakes do squeel, but just give them time, and they set in nicely. I replaced the rear derailleur; even after adding an Avid Rollamagig to the stock LX, I still found it to fall out of sinc too easily on rougher trails. Great hardtail for beginners-med riders. Bottom line is, this frame kicks!! You can always upgrade specs, but build around this frame!

Favorite Trail:   Wilder-Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stump Comp.

Bike Setup:   Stock + Race Face System, Answer Pro Taper riser, XT rear, Shimano M646

Submitted by Dave Goodwin a Cross Country Rider from Plaistow, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is awesome. This thing can take a beating. Race Face cranks and Hell Bent handle bar.

Weaknesses:    brakes are a little shoddy, but upgradable.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great deal. Although the components are average for the price, the frame is well worth it. Over time you can upgrade and have the sweetest bike on the trail!

Favorite Trail:   Bear Brook

Purchased At:   private sale

Bike Setup:   I have mavic crossmax ust disc on it!

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Spartanburg, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2001

Strengths:    Components, wheels, frame integrity, handling on technical courses, weight, brakes.

Weaknesses:    Stem wrong length, fork stiffeners too soft, saddle too narrow.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the money. Couldn't a find a better alumimum frame with disk brakes and strong wheels. I'm a tall, heavy rider and had to change around the stem and replace the fork stiffeners to made the ride a little more solid for me. Bike handles great on tight, technical single track. Doesn't climb as comfortably as I would like though, my back tightens up after 2 hours. I like the brakes. The noise stopped after a couple of rides. For the first time I'm able to stop and lock up wheels after rolling through mud and streams. If you are on a budget and are looking for a solid bike, this ones for you.

Favorite Trail:   Southside Park

Purchased At:   Great Escape

Similar Products Used:   Giant Cadex carbon fiber

Submitted by rzon a Weekend Warrior from up yonder

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Strengths:    Great deal on a bike of this caliber. Stiff, light frame and good component base that could use a little upgrade love. Deore and LX work surprisingly well.

Weaknesses:    Formula MD-1's! Giant doesn't use them on their 2001 models. Giant skimped on the brake levers and hubs. Stiff frame.

Bottom Line:
A good bike for your money. There is definitely some cheap componentry on the bike, but I recommend swapping it at the time of purchase. Get a set of Hayes brakes. I put on a carbon fiber/kevlar post to counter the stiff ride from the aluminum frame. I have it set up as an urban disturbin', XC ride. Put a longer travel fork on it, and the XTC can handle about anything. When the frame breaks, I'll buy a planet-X.

Similar Products Used:   tried some fishers and treks in the shop.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Avid speed dial 7s, avid mech discs, IRC Kujos, XTR front der., Sun Ringle ZuZu's, KORE stem, Oury grips, Easton seatpost.

Submitted by Haskoids a Cross Country Rider from SF

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Strengths:    Great overall bike!
It climbs like a mountain goat in heat!
Descends like an avalanche.
( Bulldozes everything in its way)
It looks great too
For a rider on a budget this is the bike for you!

Weaknesses:    Third day I had it I broke a chainring in half
The pedals should be upgraded
Another than that its great

Bottom Line:
This bike is great
If you want a good hardtail and you don't have enough money to buy a C-Dale this is the bike for you
M@

Favorite Trail:   Mill Pond

Purchased At:   Dave Jones Sports Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized and Norco race hardtails

Bike Setup:   All stock still

Submitted by Zac a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA - USA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Strengths:    price, weight, everything but the saddle and the squeeky MD-1s

Weaknesses:    Saddle is a little hard after several hours. brakes are super loud, but everyone KNOWS your running discs I guess

Bottom Line:
my first Mountain bike. so far I love it! its super light and climbs better than on foot as a result! I have already been on some nice trails and it responds like its part of me. The MD-1 discs are loud but they seem to be getting quieter as they wear. I am pleased with the wheels and tires but I could see they might be a little soft for a heavier rider (I am in the 150lb range). I the DeoreLX components seems to work flawlessly though if they ever tearup I guess I'll upgrade none the less. overall I highly reccomend the bike.

Purchased At:   Mamas Board N Bike

Bike Setup:   Titec bar/ends, Cane Creek headset, Manitou SX, WTB speeddiscs/motoraptors, Raceface Prodigy, Wellgo SPDs, Deore LX, Formula MD-1s, Koski saddle for now but just ordered WTB Speed V comfort.

Submitted by Christopher Yates a Weekend Warrior from Saratoga Springs, NY

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2001

Strengths:    This is the first bike that I have spent more than $500 dollars for and the difference is amazing. The bike handles beautifully. It takes the roughest trails with ease. I'm 6' 2" and find the bike extremely comfortable on long rides.

Weaknesses:    The brakes are noisy at first, but since the trails I ride are muddy I like to keep my brakes out of the slop. One of the shox leaked oil for a while. I had my bike shop rebuild it. It works fine now.

Bottom Line:
A fantastic value. You will have to pay $500 more to get a similarly equiped Cannondale.

Favorite Trail:   Skidmore College

Purchased At:   Bicycle Center in Brookfield, CT

Similar Products Used:   Two older giants (840, and Sedona). Both stolen.

Submitted by Anthony Derks a Weekend Warrior from I.G.H., MN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Strengths:    The Cane Creek headset is very good, and dependable. the aluminum Giant frame is one of the lightest frames on the market. I love the wheels, and tires.

Weaknesses:    At first one of the weaknesses of this bike was the brakes, just for a while though because I found that after a little playing with them they stopped the retched sqealing, and sounding like a rat was caught in my spokes. Another complaint was with the bars being too wide, so i cut about an inch off each side.

Bottom Line:
After hours of looking through many different bikes, this one is by far the best value. Although I did need to make a few adjustments I still stand behind this bike One-hundred percent. If you are looking for a lightweight bike to rip up the trails on on the weekends this is the one you will want.
I give this bike 5 chilis for value, and 5 chilis overall.

Purchased At:   BIKE KING

Bike Setup:   OURY grips, the rest is stock. I have plans of upgrading to XTR components.

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Lakeville, Ind

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    Price, component mix, weight, frame

Weaknesses:    noisy brakes...... but easily fixed! 10 years of racing MX taught me a few trix!

Bottom Line:
Rides super, handles quick and light on the downhill, climbs and accelerates like it's got a motor! Deore and LX stuff works just like their more expensive counterparts..."SUPER", so what if the Deore weighs a few "grams" more. The brakes.... just hit the disks with a red "Scotchbrite" pad and some brake cleaner to get any oil or anti-corrosion compounds off, do the same to the pads and bevel the leading edges. If you let them alone, they do a great job of stopping those pursuing dogs.... LOL
When you wear the pads out upgrade to Avid mechanicals! Their a great bolt on upgrade without the hassles of cutting and fitting tiny little hydralic lines and bleeding tiny little wheel cylinders.
A fantastic bike even if it would have cost more than it did.... and most of its competition does! I gotta cut one bungburner because of the work I had to do on the brakes.

Favorite Trail:   One with dirt and hills...... lots of hills!

Similar Products Used:   Ol'Trek, even older Giant ATX steel bomber...

Bike Setup:   ALL STOCK

Submitted by nick a Weekend Warrior from richmond

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    very light, good components

Weaknesses:    pedals arent to smooth, i reccomend upgrading to some time pedals and swich to hydrolic brakes which i will do once i have money

Bottom Line:
I've only been out a few times on the bike, I would defiantly recommend the bike to anyone who likes riding and has about $1000 to spend and another $300-400 to upgrade if you want to race it. IM going to upgrade to time pedals and some hydraulic disk brakes, probably shimano, once i have the money. Once i break it in ill put a little more money into a new head set and upgrade to the best components

Favorite Trail:   poorfarm park in ashland

Purchased At:   conteys

Similar Products Used:   specilized

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff Frame,Decent Component Group, Great bike for the value

Weaknesses:    The Formula disk brakes a horribly noisey.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the price. The frame is extremely stiff for aluminum. The deore components work wonderfully. This bike makes climbing almost enjoyable, and decends like a bat outta hell. The only problem is the brakes. They stop fine, but are noisey as hell.

Favorite Trail:   Susquahanna State Park

Purchased At:   Horizon Cycle

Submitted by Scott from Peachtree City, GA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    This is one awesome bike! I am so glad that I chose this one instead of any other. You get so much bike for the buck, and the disc brakes! The frame is one of the lightest aluminums made, and you cant beat Race face Cranks!

Weaknesses:    The brakes do squeak a ton, but after hard riding , and a little tweaking of the brake pads, I got them to funcion correctly. I had problems with my oil from my shox leaking, but if you keep the boots down around where they are supposed to be, then everything is cool. Weak rims! I would suggest an upgrade somewhere along the way.

Bottom Line:
Great all-around bike. It is great for trial riders, because of its lightweight, but at the same time, it is a great XC bike as well. You should buy this bike if you have 1000 to spend and really love biking!

Favorite Trail:   Chehah State Park, Alabama