Giant 2000 XtC SE1 Hardtail Bike

4.27/5 (52 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by el ray a Cross Country Rider from someplace in the midwest

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Strengths:    mad-figgin' light frame...

Weaknesses:    scratches easily

Bottom Line:
This frame is so light and stiff and strong and beautiful and fast... the heavy hydracoil fork that's on mine makes the dang thing so front-heavy that big-air means dirt sandwich -- don't throw some heavy coil fork on it; buy it stock or give her an SID and you will be in heaven... She may be a lightening bolt but she's not for everyone - only those who want a screaming-fast race ready bike should apply. This hardtail is stiff and uncompromising...

Favorite Trail:   grandview lake

Similar Products Used:   '98 fisher joshua x1

Bike Setup:   judy race; mostly xtr or high-end stuff - I bought some dude's project bike so I can only speak for the frame...

Submitted by martin ### a Cross Country Rider from melbourne,vic,auatralia

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2002

Strengths:    i love this bike,it has many positive things about it. the coponets chosen by giant are all good

Weaknesses:    the headset gas a dam creaky noise in it

Bottom Line:
i have and i will stick with giant my whole life beacuse their products are very trust worthy and you can depend on giant any time!
i got a good price too

Favorite Trail:   'the track' and brimmy

Purchased At:   bike store

Similar Products Used:   atx 750 '96

Bike Setup:   fully xtr drive chain,the rest stock

Submitted by mike larocca a Weekend Warrior from kansas city mo

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Strengths:    I love the climbing.Handles real nice I love the shocks they handle real nice on the trails

Weaknesses:    I need stronger legs

Bottom Line:
nice ride i think ill keep this one for a while Its light weight helps me on long climes.this is the secont mountain bike i have owened and i feel real smooth on it

Purchased At:   river mkt cyclery

Bike Setup:   stock I put a rock shock seat post on it

Submitted by justin cafferty a Downhiller from moscow idaho

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Strengths:    first off i should say that i bought this as a frame only option, and built the bike from the ground up. it's definetely light...has cool looking paint job too

Weaknesses:    this frame creakes and snaps at me constantly. May be because I didn't use an integrated headset, but sound seems to be coming from all areas (cranks, headset, seatpost, etc.)

Bottom Line:
wasn't really the frame I wanted to buy, because I do a lot of trials riding on it. I'm not much for cross country, but that seems to be what this frame is suited best for. THe price was right, and I'm a tall guy who needs a big frame (21.5"), so i had to settle with this frame. Now i can understand what many of you are saying about the frame being weak, for mine creakes constantly, and it does feel and sound like there's nothing under you, but I have not had any problems with the durability aspects of this frame so far. of course I have a zocchi on front that soaks up a lot of the hits, and the mammoth rims are so strong that little of the stress gets to the frame. still, I have my doubts...I weigh a lot, and only time will tell if this frame will hold up. still, I have a hard time believeing you guys who say that you can bend the frame with your fingers. I take five foot drops and ride trials, and everynow and then I take this bike out for a downhill run as well. If I haven't broke this frame yet, with my 230 lb. fat ass, then I see no reason why anyone else would either. maybe you guys need to learn how to work on your bikes and keep up on maintanence. anyhow, this frame has satisfied me so far, at least until i get the cash to buy a nice dual slalom frame. value was exceptional, overall rating is high as well (with the exception of the creaks, which I've learned to live with).

Favorite Trail:   bald mountain

Purchased At:   paradise creek

Similar Products Used:   first high class hardtail i've owned. I generally ride my fsr with marzocchi mcr, sun mammoth rims, etc...

Bike Setup:   marzocchi z3 qr 20, sun mammoth rims, race face stem and seat post, prodigy bars, oury grips, xt lx drivetrain, etc...

Submitted by ol dirty from anywhere the military sends him

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an update to a post from over a year ago. This rig still rocks! Only had to replace the bb and the left shifter so far. Not too shabby! I still love this bike like I did on the first date. Serious machine for the money. I still give it a five flamin' people who try to run me down.

Favorite Trail:   still like the sick ones

Submitted by Jon Downey a Cross Country Rider from Norfolk, NE USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Strengths:    frame, brakes, fork

Weaknesses:    chainstay/brake assembly

Bottom Line:
Nice ride, Giant's paint seems easily chipped, Koski saddle isn't real comfortable. Very good deal for the money. Handles great, climbs good and decends well.

Favorite Trail:   Yellowbanks

Purchased At:   Andrew BIcycle and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose, Diamondback, Raleigh, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   mostly stock, platform pedals, SDG Bel-Air saddle, changing to an Easton riser bar

Submitted by William Murray from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap,Light,srong

Weaknesses:    dents easily Intergrated head set

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike for the money. People like to talk crap about giant bikes but I usually pass them on xc rides. It rides like a bike that costs way more. Pretty much the same geometry as their full suspension bike of the year!

Favorite Trail:   Stair Gaps

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   CrackandFail Kona Specialized

Bike Setup:   xt xtr z1 x-fly hope disk king hubs ryno lite rims easton carbon bars thompson post

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    light! strong for intended use (so far....) fast, climbs well

Weaknesses:    none so far....

Bottom Line:
I haven't been on it long, but some hard rides in the last few weeks, now that trails are opening have made me happy. Some good long rides around Fruita; rocky rough stuff. No durability issues so far. Picked up the frame for $325 including shipping from Frankford bike off the web. Comes with headtube adapters if you want to use a non integrated headset.

Hey, it's a 3 pound frame for fast xc riding/racing. if you're doing urban hardcore or trials stuff, of course you'll probably f*%k up your frame. For such a light frame, it's only going to take so much. my first aluminum frame, so the jury is still out. way stiff compared to my ti or steel bikes.

5 on value, since i only bought the frame, then built it up. 4 on overall, because i've only been on it for a little while.

if you are looking for a fast, stiff xc ride/racer, and not going for big huge stunts, go for it!

Similar Products Used:   steel Kona Explosif, Titan ti, ancient Diamond Back

Bike Setup:   medium frams size XMO englund air fork, integrated Cane Creek hs, Ritchey WCS stem, Titec 118 bar, Thomson post, Flite seat. ESP 9.0sl shifters and rear, XT front. action tec ti bb and kooka cranks, kore pedals, avid 1.9 and 7.0 levers and brakes. nuke proof hubs, 15/16 spokes , alloy nips on bonty valiants. fire xc pro 1.8s some ti and aluminum bits here and there.
20.5 pounds total

Submitted by JEFF NEVER BUY A GIANT a Weekend Warrior from ONTARIO

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    RACE FACE CRANKS AND RELIABLE JUDY FORK

Weaknesses:    FRAME, BROKE IT AND GIANT WOULD NOT GIVE ME A NEW ONE. THIER WARRENTY IS SHORT ENOUGH (5 YEARS) AND THEY CANT GIVE ME A NEW FRAME AFTER 6 MONTHS. WHATS WITH THAT?

Bottom Line:
DECENT COMPONENTS, BUT IT HAS CONVINCED ME NEVER TO BUY ANOTHER GIANT(BROKEN FRAME), ONLY RECOMMENDED FOR LIGHT OFF ROADING.

Favorite Trail:   URBAN ASSUALT

Purchased At:   BRUANS

Similar Products Used:   C-DALE ROCKY

Bike Setup:   STOCK BESIDES THE TIRES

Submitted by Jesse a Racer from Utah

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Strengths:    great value, Brakes work awsome once adjusted correctly. In contradiction to other reviews, I ride about 50 mi. a week and have never had a prob w/ frnt. derailur or the Mavic rims. Also I am not easy on the bike, its almost got as many scratches as paint left on the frame.

Weaknesses:    This bike has more snap crackles and pops than a bowl of rice crispies. The stock BB must be replaced. I have come to the conclusion it's the frame and have gotten used to it talking to me during our rides.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great value. It weighs in at 25 w/ discs which is lighter than competitively priced models. Personaly I wish I would have saved a little more money and gotten a more solid bike. I have never felt like I got ripped of at this price.

Favorite Trail:   anything moab

Purchased At:   Franks bike shop

Similar Products Used:   older Klein Rascal, GT Avalanch (very solid though a little heavier.)

Bike Setup:   Stock except BB and pedals.

Submitted by Stephen Cominski a Racer from Seattle

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Strengths:    Frameset, Wheelset, BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES!

Weaknesses:    Stock Saddle, Grips, Prodigy Post, Stem, Bars(Based on weight)

Bottom Line:
This is the 2001 model, first off, but there isn't a line on the site for it yet so I'll lump this in with the reviews for the 2000's. All I can say is the bike is amazing!! First off, I'[m new to nine-speed, but I have to say I am a convert. Here in the Northwest, you have to climb if you want to ride, and this bike is ready to climb all day if that's what you need to do, both from the seating position, as well as a very smooth rolling hutchinson tire set, and excellent acceleration from the bike itself. I attribute that to the ultra light frame. The bike feels lighter than it's 26.5lbs, but it is also about two pounds lighter than the rig it replaced, so I'm happy with it no matter what right now. Now, I have only had the bike for a week or so now, but this morning at eight a.m. we went out and field tested my new ride at full tilt through Tiger Mtn's technical singletrack. Let me just tell you, if you are looking for a performance enhancement for your new bike, look no further. The brakes are just what I have been dreaming of for years, they run silent- (anyone who tells you otherwise had a cross eyed monkey install thier brakes!), and are so powerful that you will never find yourself wishing for more brake ever again. You can go faster, brake later, and with more controllability than any v-brakes ever made, believe it. These things are the sliced bread people tell you they are, I can't speak for the other discs out there , but Hayes are certainly all if not more than they are cracked up to be. The wheelset is dope as hell, and you know I like the black spokes! So far, I haven't put a drop of air into them, and I'm still waiting to see them leak. Naysayers for tubeless won't find a sympathetic ear here. Only the race season this year will tell for sure though. Overall, I expect a lot of reliability out of this bike, and will be rolling up to like thirty starts this year, aside from training and commuting, so I will let you all know if anything changes. For now though, this is a heck of a lot of bang for the buck, I say that both the tubeless wheelset and the disc brakes make this bike much more than the sum of it's parts. Check it out if you can, and if you ride in the wet, you want these brakes, trust me!

Favorite Trail:   Preston Loop, Tiger Mtn. State Park

Similar Products Used:   None, but I did have a 1994 Trek Singletrack with a true temper frame, does that count for anything? Didn't think so.

Bike Setup:   Steock except for Pedro's grips, Selle Italia Tri-metric flight in black and yellow, shockboard fenders f/r when it's nasty out.

Submitted by Chris from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Strengths:    Light and fast, SID shocks, Raceface Crankset, Time pedals, Hayes brakes (need I say more..)

Weaknesses:    cheapo creaky seatpost, rear derailleur hits frame even with a lizard skin

Bottom Line:
This bike is fantastic. I've heard a lot of complaints about the frame being to weak, prone to dents, etc.. and yes mine does have a few dings under the BB, but it's super light so there must be a trade-off. I've raced my bike for a half a season now and no problems yet.. even the reasonable cheap LX BB has given no worries at all. The Time pedals have been great in the mud (million times better than my crappy old SPD's) and the Hutchinson rubber makes this bike roll even faster. The extra wide handle bars offset the longer travel forks so even for XC racing the new geometry is good. Bottom Line - Get this bike if you want a fast, value for money hardtail, forget this bike if you have the urge to spend lots of cash. This bike rocks!!!

Favorite Trail:   Paul's Range Plummet

Purchased At:   CBD cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon

Bike Setup:   Standard apart from running longer travel SID 100s and Hutchinson Python Gold tyres.

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider from College Station, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Strengths:    Only aluminum frame lighter is much more expensive Schwinn Homegrown, Hayes H.Discs could stop a Trane, SID XC, good component mix, Time pedals a blessing in the mud!

Weaknesses:    Rear Derailleur hits chainstay in high gears, chain chips paint even through LizSkin, chaepo LX BB caused massive crank creaking(upgraded to XT when LX failed, rides much quieter and smoother), Deore shifters on a $1500 bike?(haven't had the shifting and adjustment problems that my buddy with the XT's has had, though), low bottom bracket height, durability of superlight alum. frame a concern

Bottom Line:
I would buy this bike all over again. I have loved every second of riding this bike, except falling over before clipping out of my Times. If you are in the market, this is a fast, comfortable, billy-goat of a bike. I routinely bottom my SID, but everything is still running true. Contrary to common experience, I have yet to dent my frame despite falling over directly on a 2'-round rock. Hayes brakes keep me stopping even in the sickest of mud and slop, if they are a little noisy(who cares?) Definitely not a freeride/downhill bike, but you can't beat it for twisty singletrack. Get one, but don't pay MSRP.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill