Giant 2000 MCM SE1 Hardtail Bike

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from ventura, ca

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, Shimano XT discs,

Weaknesses:    Koski seat

Bottom Line:
Light, good climber, super brakes, SID XC's work well enough for cross country. This is a great bike for those who are not convinced dual suspended bikes are for them. The value is awesome here, carbon fiber, discs, 9 speed, SIDs, and the only thing I'd change right now would be the seat and seatpost and possibly the bars/barends, but those are personal touches anyway. I picked this bike up second hand with no off road miles on it at all, and maybe 100 road miles tops, with no scrathes or dings. This bike is a real beauty, nice colors, graphics and carbon look. I get lots of comments on it.

Bike Setup:   stock with super light Kenda Kozmik tires, XT disc brakes, braided steel brake lines.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2000

Strengths:    beautiful frame, weight, stiffness, overall value

Weaknesses:    koski saddle, seatpost, front der, shifters

Bottom Line:
Pretty much all that I've heard about carbon hardtails were true. It's light, stiff, and goes where you point at. One misleading myth is the alledged shock-absorbing nature of carbon bikes -- I certainly don't feel it with MCM SE1. I find this curious 'cause when I installed carbon handle bar I could feel the difference on the 1st ride. All in all, I'm happy with my purchase (got mine for $1600) and the way this bike performs. It's much more at home on twisty single tracks and hill climbs than on rocky descends. Like other owners, I too had some rubbing with Hayes brakes. It comes and goes and it's not the easiest disc system to adjust (and the frame is disc brake specific). I would recommend this bike to any xc riders looking for a good hardtail at good value. I've confirmed with LBS that Giant will no longer produce MCM lines in the year 2001, so you might have hard time finding one.

Note to Jason below with comments on seatpost: The official specs on MCM SE1 is listed as having 25.0mm seatpost, but pull out the post and read the engraving on its side. Mine was 27.2mm. I've installed 27.2mm Thomson post without any problems.

Bike Setup:   stock plus selle italia max flite, thomson post, easton monkey lite riser bar, oury grips

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster, MA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Strengths:    Frame(stiffness, design), Weight, Components, Hayes Brakes, Very attractive carbon looks!!

Weaknesses:    Bad service at LBS, saddle(ouch!), 25.0mm seatpost - I have only found one suspension seatpost that fits it

Bottom Line:
I have to admit that vanity made me fall in love with this bike. I absolutely love the way it looks!
I have the SID XC tuned to 63mm of travel, and the bike rides quite rough obviously, but climbs and corners exceptional well. Steers quick and predictably. The bike feels a little dead when climbing out of the saddle. It doesn't have the snap that other hardtails do.
The frame is very stiff and rigid on decents, which can also be attributed to the short travel. The bike climbs so well and steers so quickly that I don't mind the short travel. It's all in what you like!
The Hayes disc brakes are really sweet, except for the loud screeching noise, and the extranormal vibration that comes from the rear. It only happens when I modulate the brakes moderately. If I use a light touch, or heavy touch they're quiet, but if I just hit them right it sounds like I'm sitting on a fog horn. I have cleaned the rotor and the pucks and it still is happening. I will see if it goes away with time, though.
One minor complaint is the saddle. It really become uncomfortable after about....ooh, about......8 or 10.......minutes of riding. I'm a rider that likes to stand when climbing or accelerating, and the limited amount of time I do spend in the saddle is considerably uncomfortable.
There is one final issue, I bought the bike form ATA Bicycle in Cambridge MA. First of all, I disliked that they tried to con me and say that I was getting this bike with a big brake in the price, which I wasn't! Secondly, they would not allow me to switch parts like most other bike shops would. Thirdly, they did not add any other services to the sale (discount on equipment, tune ups, etc). I had a couple of questions that were not answered and request that were not even considered. Finally, in all I did not feel like a valued costumer. All of the other bike shops that I looked at, went out of there way to impress me and take care of me, not ATA though. They were suppose to mail me a manual for the Hayes brakes....about three weeks ago. Your probably saying I should have went somewhere else, but this was the only bike shop that had the size within a 100 miles of where I live. I live and learn!
Overall though, the bike seems to be quality craftsmanship. And for the price it's a great deal. Giant has produced an exceptional produce, for the XC rider/racer!

Favorite Trail:   Leominster State Forest

Similar Products Used:   K2, Cannondale F900, F2000; Specialized M2 Pro, Trek 9.8

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for the seat - specialized

Submitted by Marios a Cross Country Rider from New York City, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Strengths:    Frame, weight, price, components.

Weaknesses:    The REAR disc-brake (Hayes) is sqealing like hell!
Poor finish on the kevlar outer skin.

Bottom Line:
I am having the same problem as the guy from Maryland. The strange thing is that my rear Hayes past the burnish period just fine. For a week or so I didn't have any problems until the rear break went nuts! Now it's making HUGE noise! I feel it on the saddle! Not even close to the initial brake-in noise. I am talking about some serious resonance! VERY annoying! I was very careful cleaning the rotors with alcohol and not dropping any lubes on them. The pads are NOT contaminated for sure! I don't know how to solve this.

The Kevlar outer skin looks like a piece of fabric stretched in the wrong direction (only on the top tube). It's not perfectly aligned.

In every other sense I am VERY satisfied with the bike. The frame is amazing. Very sweet ride, light and handles great. The components are top notch. Great VALUE.

It is probably one of the most beautiful bikes out there too.