Giant 2000 Iguana SE Hardtail Bike

4.11/5 (38 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Magnum, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Strengths:    Good price, good components for the money, nice brakes, excellent frame. Lightweight for a hardtail at this price. A great example of a good entry-intermediate level XC bike.

Weaknesses:    Fork is too soft for most riders; the seat initially hurts your ass LOT before you get used to it.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike used in near-mint condition. So far, it's done completely what I expected it to do. I had just gotten into biking and I was looking for a lightweight, no-frills cross-country bike that could handle moderate trails. This bike can do that pretty well.

A lot of people who have paid MSRP (around $500) say that they've gotten an excellent deal. After I got this bike, I looked around the major bicycle manufacturers who had bikes around this price and the IguanaSE seems to have a better setup. Since I paid just $300, I think this bike was more than worth the price (if you get this bike now, anyways, you'll be paying less than I did). You might (and could probably) get or build a better bike for around $500 if you looked around LBS's and such, but you won't get a better bike with an original MSRP of $500.

The brakes are great and firm. The rear derailler [sic] is fine but the front Alivio, being a lower-end model, has some trouble shifting to larger chainrings sometimes. Still, nothing too serious. By far, I think the best thing on this bike is the frame. It's light and is relatively stable (at least to me).

The two gripes I have about this bike are the fork and the seat. The fork is lightweight and I have not had any problems with it. However, it's really soft. The preload works fine for me and I can make it pretty stiff, but I'm 118 lbs. so this has not been a problem for me. I think that if you're anything over 165-180 lbs. you would want to get a different fork as the preload on this fork acts like it gets exponentially ineffective as your weight goes up, as my 180-ish lb. friend found out when he was riding on my bike. The second thing is the saddle: it hurts. It has Kevlar sides but the "nose" part of the seat is really thin and protrusive and your ass gets sore pretty quick. I got used to it after just a couple rides, though.

For cross-country riding, this bike is great. It's light, responsive, and climbs well. If you're a light guy like me, I think you'll appreciate the fork. This bike is good for fire trails and such, but it's definitely not made for really rough stuff. The frame I have trust in; the fork, I don't for heavier riders.

Please do not take this bike freeriding with the stock Manitou Magnum. It'll smack itself silly. I saw reviews saying that the fork bottomed out or blew the top cap after going of 6' drops or the like. One guy even used it downhilling. Aaah! No, no, no! I don't recommend getting too aggressive with this bike but if you do, dump the fork.

I use this bike as city, get-around bike now, with lightly-aggressive street tires. It's great for that, too.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock except for bar ends.

Submitted by Asher Zoomers a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Strengths:    Raised hangers

Weaknesses:    Frame cracked in half behind front headset, in the exact same spot that my friends iguana did. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. Only a broken rib and lots of bruises.
Very Dangerous Frame!!
Warranty sucks and won't cover it.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike untill the frames crack and try to kill you.
Won't buy another Giant if their service and products continue to be total crap.
Very dissatisfied and can't find anyone who seems to give a damn. If anyone does I would like to hear from them.
Thanks

Favorite Trail:   Chocolate bhuda

Purchased At:   Riders Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Giant Yukon

Bike Setup:   Stock except for deep V back rim.

Submitted by George W. a Cross Country Rider from Poway,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Strengths:    Good bike for the money. Durable frame. Decent hillclimber.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat. BB went South in 3months. Trued the front wheels twice in 2years. Broke a bunch of spokes in the rear[$26 to repair]

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the money.It never fit me quite perfectly but it did everything I asked of it within reason.AS I got better the bike rewarded me.The stock tires were OK, they were replaced with Velocoraptor on front,Panracer on rear after the first year.I put on 750 miles in the 1st seven months At that time I had a complete tune-up done[including
a fork rebuild],this cost $60.The bike worked a lot better,and I started to really enjoy riding it.The Iguana is a recreational bike that has endured two years of hard ridng [no abuse,but numerous crashes].

Favorite Trail:   Big Laguna + Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   B + M Bikes

Similar Products Used:   none at the time.

Bike Setup:   Stock Iguana

Submitted by Pete a Weekend Warrior from Hopewell, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Strengths:    this bike climbs sumwhat decently and flows well.

Weaknesses:    the fork... is heavy and unresponsive, the components are pore for doing any kind of hard biking. the bike is very unbalanced, with a heavy front and lite rear. the saddle could couse seriouse injury to the ass.

Bottom Line:
I barrowed this bike from a friend when my bike was being repaired. I took this bike to a very rocky place and it performed less than i would have liked. this bike is great for a beginner who is doing easy trails or using it to cruise the city. For your own sake don't try anything to hard with it.

Similar Products Used:   Kona caldera, specialized rockhopper, trek

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Max a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    seat, brakes, rims

Weaknesses:    fork, rear derailure, gears, shifters

Bottom Line:
I got this bike on sale in 2001 since the shop was clearing out for newer models. The bike is an all-round good bike, but if you intend to ride it really hard (eg. my friends KHS Alite 2000 or my brothers Schwinn Moab Elite) you'll run into problems. The caps on the forks keep blowing up at my chest (3x), my quikshift shifters keep jamming. The brakes are good, and don't need to be tightened that much. The bike was worth it, but it needs frequent tuneups and fixes. Don't take this one to the Grand Canyon, but for the average mountain joyride, its good.

Favorite Trail:   Robert E. Lee park

Purchased At:   Bicycle Connection

Submitted by Colin Osborn a Cross Country Rider from Carbondale,CO,United States

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Strengths:    rims

Weaknesses:    Fork's bushings

Bottom Line:
This bike was a good bike. I beat the $hit out of this bike. I rode it hard for two years and only replaced the rear deraillieur, Tires and got the fork bushings replaced by Manitou.The bike shop that sold it was great, I was going to sell it but one night i was riding, bunnyhopped a curb and the frame broke. I liked the bike, but it is not for a abusive rider. It was a good bike though.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Ajax bike and sport

Submitted by Wade a Downhiller from Carbondale,CO,United States

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    Stong Frame

Weaknesses:    Manitou Magnum fork

Bottom Line:
This is built well and works good, the fork the manitou was easilt broken, i replaced it with a Marzocchi z.1 fr and the bike felt like it could take anything. The front derailluer wore out quick also but i then replaced it with a MRP chain guide. It is now my screw around , dual slalom race bike, I love it.

Favorite Trail:   The one i haven't riden yet

Purchased At:   Ajax bike and sport

Submitted by Krazy Kid a Downhiller from Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    Every thing

Weaknesses:    peadles, seat

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! I have the small frame so it lookes like a jump rig. I can't break it! I broke my full suspension 3 times and the hardtail won't bust! I Can go huge on this bike! Get it for awsome rides, Awsome times!

Favorite Trail:   anything rad and fun!

Purchased At:   Kimberly Ski hill

Similar Products Used:   Nothing

Bike Setup:   Its all stock exept for the seat, and peadles.

Submitted by Jay a Weekend Warrior from Salem, Or U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Strengths:    cheap, strong, great fit

Weaknesses:    cranks are junk, seat rails bent, fork is down-right dangerous!!!

Bottom Line:
i bought this bike because it was the best value and it was all i could afford. i have replaced several components out of neccessity. the cranks bent, so i bought LX splined cranks. the manitou forks blew up and shot the cap into my face, so i bought marzochi djII. i also bought better brakes, bigger tires and a new seat because the rails bent. i ride this bike EXTREMELY hard. alot harder than it was made for. i do 4 1/2 foot drops on concrete and it has held up better than i ever expected.

Favorite Trail:   urban/Dallas

Purchased At:   mountain bike outfitters (washington)

Bike Setup:   set up for freeride. lx cranks (splined), marzochi djII fork, 2.3 inch tires, lx brakes, riser bars.

Submitted by Ethan T a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you can possibly see yourself as becoming a regular mountain biker, don't get the Iguana. Get something better.

The Iguana is a great bike for the money, but the components are low grade and will soon wear or start to disappoint you. You get what you pay for though, and Giant is a great company. I recently had to return a bike frame to them for replacement. No hassle!

But seriously, go for the XTC SE 1 or 2 because of the mere fact that you will want more than just the Iguana. However, for pure recreational riders, the Iguana is worth it.

Submitted by Ben Johnson a Weekend Warrior from berne, IN, US

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2001

Strengths:    great bike for beginer. this bike has good demensions, and can be raced

Weaknesses:    hardly any at all, except for the brakes, and the cranks. my only other gripe is the stock seatpost

Bottom Line:
this bike has been working out great for me. its stable, and can take lots more than what it was made for (trials type stuff). one of the only major problems i have had with it was the stock cranks which flexed quite a bit,and bent easily. but after i bought new firex's, the bike is like brand new. i plan on buying new brakes soon though, because the stock ones are cheap and don't have very good modulation. all in all, this bike is great for value, and possibly racing(as i plan on doing this comeing summer)

Favorite Trail:   any one i can go on

Similar Products Used:   Kona caldera, others

Bike Setup:   mostly stock, except for tru-vativ firex cranks, and easton ea50 seatpost. i plan on replacing the brakes soon

Submitted by Olivier B a Weekend Warrior from San Mateo, CA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2001

Strengths:    Incredible bang for the buck! I love the way it handles around corners. Great Manitou Magnum fork that will take just about anything... Mine came w/ LX components, can't complain, can I?... Great aluminum frame, super rigid.

Weaknesses:    The seat is way hard, but once broken in, it's just fine. The tires suck... Brakes tend to fade in long downhills...
Just wish it were a Full-Suspension!

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this bike for almost 2 years now on all kinds of trails and I haven't had to change anything on it! The value is incredible.

It's a great bike for beginners and intermediate riders. Once you get into hard MTB riding, you'll probably want to upgrade to a Full-Suspension, but remember, your Iguana SE made you love it!

Favorite Trail:   El Corte de Madera

Purchased At:   Sonma Mountain Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   1992 Giant Boulder ATX

Bike Setup:   Just added bar extensions for climbs and thinking of replacing the toe-clip pedals w/ clipless.

Submitted by danny a Racer from Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    All the components

Bottom Line:
Great bike to do up for dual and downhill.

Purchased At:   Da Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Nothing

Bike Setup:   QR20, Hayes front& rear, mavic D321 Disc rim, mrp chainguide, profile bars, raceface cranks, xt components, and intinse tires 3 front and 2.4 rear.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, Oh

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Strengths:    The bike is a good start to an even better bike. It has a very good frame and fairly good components throughout.

Weaknesses:    The brake levers are the lowest quality component on the bike. Wheels are strong but heavy.

Bottom Line:
There are a few major upgrades that this bike needs to become an xc racing bike. The Suntour crankset has been through a lot and is still in good shape. This is an excellent starting bike for someone considering racing and is easily (not affordably) upgradable to an awesome bike. I recommend upgrading the brake levers immediately which gives the brakes an entirely different feel. This bike is worth the money for someone making a minimal investment in becoming serious in the sport. Don't buy this bike if you plan on racing it stock. Upgrading is fun!!!(and expensive)

Favorite Trail:   steep ones