Giant 2000 Boulder SE Hardtail Bike

4.16/5 (19 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, SR M7600, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by TND

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Strengths:    Old reliable is mine! Puchased In CO., still have it and ride daily!.. First failure since 2004. CRANK arm rounded out. Getting ready to add 66/80cc to it/

Weaknesses:    1/1 1/2 gear/ Too much gap.

Bottom Line:
LOVE MY BIKE. Pics to come.

Submitted by Anthonaut a Downhiller from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Strengths:    Good, strong frame, nice shocks for rocky trails. Quick-fire gears. V-brakes, quick release.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A SWEET BIKE, BUY ONE NOW!

Purchased At:   Super Elliot Cycles

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   Suntour Forks, Shimano quick-fire gears, Kenda tyres

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna, BC, CANADA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    Hasn't broken in 2 years

Weaknesses:    pretty much everything is bottom of the line components

Bottom Line:
This bike is has junky compenents yet has lasted trail riding/jumping without being fixed, repaired, or broken for the last two years. Its pretty impressive.

Favorite Trail:   Powers

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   2001 KDX 220 hehehe

Bike Setup:   Suntour fork, shimano shifters , Kenda tires,

Submitted by Quinn a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Sturdy frame, shifts well, and has a nice balanced feel. (especially for the money)

Weaknesses:    I would like to upgrade my derailluers and front fork. I can tell after a few rides they are getting loose. Also, the frame is very heavy and not good for a long, uphill, climb.

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike and I am impressed so far. I know already that the bike could use some upgrades, but I'm not complaining. For the amount invested it's a good deal.

Favorite Trail:   ruffner mt.

Purchased At:   Bob's

Similar Products Used:   I rode a rigid trek for a few months before I got the Giant.

Bike Setup:   everything stock.

Submitted by Sam Heatwole a Weekend Warrior from Newport News VA 223601

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2001

Strengths:    Affordable Price!!! Strength of frame, I'm 230lbs and no wheel, frame or shock problems, but at age 55, I'm not punishing the bike or my body unduly either. Good feel when you ride the bike. I've not experienced the front der. probs. other reviewers have. The bike shifts well on the fly, especially shifting down in first gear going uphill.

Weaknesses:    It's heavy, but so am I. Third gear needs to be geared higher. I use 2nd and 1st gears on the trail and 3rd as my "on road" gear. As such, I'd like to be able to get some speed outta the bike when I hit pavement. Instead 3rd gear is just way too low to give me anything close to comfortable
speed. This is when the weight of the bike can really be a problem since it adds to the drag on pavement. Semi slick tires help some but not a great deal. Gearing 3rd higher would really help.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. It gives the rider a real since of comfort and control when riding. I think it is the ideal low end bike for the mtn. bike market for the novice or experienced biker.

Favorite Trail:   Harwoods Mill

Purchased At:   Conte's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for semi slick tires which replace originals

Submitted by MASSIVE P.ENIS!! a Racer from P.ENISVILLE

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Strengths:    IT IS AS STRONG AS MY WANG!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    IT IS BAD TO TAKE TO WAR IN REPLACEMENT OR A TANK!

Bottom Line:
WATCH OUT ITS A GIANT BOULDER!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   MY DIRTY BU.TTHOLE!

Purchased At:   D.ICKVILLE

Similar Products Used:   MY MOTHER, SHES A TOWNBIKE, EVERYONE GETS A RIDE!

Bike Setup:   IT LOOKS LIKE MY RED ROCKET

Submitted by R. Haynes a Weekend Warrior from Nashville

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    beginner's price range, Giant name and quality

Weaknesses:    Components are beginner level, but suit the bike very well. The suspension fork is weak for heavy riders

Bottom Line:
I am a beginner to mountain biking, but quickly took to the sport. I have realized that my teenage motorcycle trail riding skills came back to me quickly...which means I've already started looking at upgrading the bike. If I had it over to do I would have bought a bike in the $500-600 range. However, I am happy with this bike.

My biggest concern has been how my size will affect the bike. I am 6'4", 250 lbs. I discussed this with a local bike shop, who quickly advised me to sell my Boulder and go to an aluminum frame bike, "like the one they had on sale." I questioned the fact that the aluminum frame was all that much better than my steel, sure it's lighter but I really don't care about the weight. I know from dealing with horse trailers that aluminum is not all that much lighter than steel its just more corosion proof. I emailed GIANT to ask them about the situation. THEY WERE VERY RESPONSIVE! They told the dealer unestimated the frame abilities. But that my size would put any frame in extra stress, it's simple physics. There's no frame that is indestructible though. I could be 170 lbs and still trasha frame...it depends on how I ride. They advised that the SR Suntour fork needed to be upgraded, but other than that go enjoy the bike. They figured I would want to upgrade in a couple of years anyways.

So I have put a '00 Manitou SXR with a firm spring kit(Manitou suggested this for me over the SX or Magnum)With this change a few other compenents had to be upgraded, but I'm happy with the bike. Wish I didn't have to go to this expense, but in retrospect, any bike in my price range would have had the fork upgraded. The RockShox Jett, Judy are out.

For all you "big boys" hope this helps.

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4

Purchased At:   Nat's Outdoor

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   stock equipment other than Manitou SXR fork, Specialized stem and barends.

Submitted by Patrick a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Great Bike for a Great price. The rear derailluer is fantastic for the entry level rider, frame is a little heavy though.

Weaknesses:    Forks loose their soft cusioning when cold, front derailluer is a little low quaility

Bottom Line:
This bike is a top quaility bike for the money. Ofcourse serious downhill riders would never choose this, it is perfect for the beginner/inter rider who enjoys a little bumps along the way. I bought it because it looks fantastic with black Giant bar Ends and rides well. I think its brilliant!!

Purchased At:   Gordonsons Cycle Centre

Similar Products Used:   Revel Reflex DS -- CRAP!!! 2001 model

Bike Setup:   Suntour M8040 suspension forks, Cateye speedo, Giant bar ends, two water bottles (and cages), Semi-Slick tyres, riser handle bars, Cro Molly seat tube

Submitted by college kid on a budget a Weekend Warrior from college town in usa

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    value

Weaknesses:    WEIGHT!!!
wheels
tires
brake pads
forks
derailleurs
headset

see below

Bottom Line:
this bike will fit into your tight budget, but will do nothing more. the frame is quite stiff but you get it at the expense of overwhelming weight.

the weight: can bring down titanic if onboard. don't ever try to climb with it

wheels: always out of true. easily scratched rims

tires: SUCK BIG TIME! after a winter the tire simply cracked. i had numerous flats and i found out that it was because some pieces of coal (not very sharp, neither strong) have cut through the tire and was stabbing at my tubes.

brake pads: SUCK SUPER DUPER BIG TIME!!! they pick up everything on the frame, scrach off bits of alu rims and then pick these bits up then scrape more. not enough stoppping power too.

forks: okay if you live in Howaii. they kinda freeze up during winters and just won't do their job.

derailleurs: front derailleur stinks (the guy below was right). never shifts well despite adjustments. rear derailleur has weak springs and won't shift under moderate load.

headset: started squeeling after some time.

4 chili's for value, 3 overall.

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by edouble a Cross Country Rider from wheatley heights,ny

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Strengths:    value for money

Weaknesses:    front derailleur , weight

Bottom Line:
you clowns who say this bike is crap are wick,wick,wack! . my wife has rode everything that i have on this bike without one equipt. failure, not one! and that includes 3hr rides in wissahickon park in philly!. i bought it for her and she loves it cause it never lets her down . and thats the bottom line. im now buying her a yeti full susp. but the little boulder is what she learned to mountain bike on.

Favorite Trail:   da wiss' in philly

Purchased At:   deerpark bikes

Similar Products Used:   none as this is my wifes bike

Bike Setup:   deore shifters,rear derail. , and levers. md300 crank and velociraptor tires. avid brakes

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from truro, nova scotia, canada

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Strengths:    Front Suspension at a low price. Nice looking. Entry Level

Weaknesses:    Damn that front derailleur sucks. After one month of riding it was loose. Now it won't even tighten fully. Shocks are too weak and they don't work in the winter. Crappy wheelset.

Bottom Line:
I like the bike but it is'nt the complete package. Good to get started on but the shortcomings appear as you improve your biking. If I had the chance I would have spent more for the 99 Rocky Mountain Soul.

Favorite Trail:   Victoria Park

Purchased At:   sports experts

Similar Products Used:   1995 Giant Yukon, 1999 RM soul

Bike Setup:   I've got to get a new front derailleur. New forks would be nice.

Submitted by wx a Weekend Warrior from iowa

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Strengths:    save me $$$, pretty stiff frame, fork not too bad, rr der worked pretty well, paintwork

Weaknesses:    frame a bit heavy
frnt der--simply stinks. i could never shift to the large chainring properly.
fork is too soft but okay for casual riding
teh handlebar looks ugly if you attempt to add any barends
there's an annoying ticking sound coming from teh bb. perhaps just my bike???

Bottom Line:
i know there are a lot of things you can pick on this bike, but at $250 you don't complain. though teh parts are cheap, when put together they worked amazingly well (save for the frnt der). it's definitely better than any walmart type bikes.

bottom line: good to get started--trash it as much as you can, then move on to rainier, hkek or moab. if you've got any offroad biking experience at all, buy an iguana (unless your bank statement says otherwise--like me).

5 chilis for being the best buy in this price range, and 5 chilis for being my toy to mess with.

Purchased At:   private seller

Bike Setup:   stock, perhaps gonna replace teh fork with an old judy and get rid of the frnt der

Submitted by Tony Howard a Weekend Warrior from Australia Sydney

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2000

Strengths:    Good for price good starting bike

Weaknesses:    rear der. did not last and became less acurate. Shox started of good but became very sloowww seat good for comfort but not if you are seriuos. rims buckled very easly.Brakes squeal need to change pads

Bottom Line:
good for price but if you are serious about riding have another thought. Good for the budding beginer but spend the extra dollars if you want quallity.

Favorite Trail:   Fairfield Olympic Track

Purchased At:   Cyclery NorthSide

Similar Products Used:   Boulder '99

Bike Setup:   Mythos front and back

Submitted by Tim Rhodes a Cross Country Rider from Mogadore, OH

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Strengths:    Good fork, nice shifting, has a nice crank. good value, well worth the money

Weaknesses:    awful front derailer, bad handbars, and no bar ends, the shimano altus is ok but add an stx and you will be cruisen much better. also the pedals are plastic in the middle and a little dirt and they will get torn apart. trust me on that!

Bottom Line:
it's a good bike for the money and it has good components the fork is good and it will last a while. if you make the upgrades I made you will see a big diference you also need to keep the chain lubed or it will rust out and the pedals are week plastic and will fall apart if you aren't careful the frame is cromoly and it has to week points but it will last as long as you don't bash it into a tree it also has quick release which is nice. it is easily upgradable to a aluminuim frame and that is what I plan to do considering how it is almost identicle to some of giants aothe bikes. the front derailer is crap I must admit but they are sheap to replace.

Favorite Trail:   cvnra ledges trail

Purchased At:   Martys Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   I made these changes. added bar ends with a straight handlebar. added a shimano alivio front and a shimano stx back. also added new pedals and different brake pads.

Submitted by Seth from York, PA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2000

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    You can't really complain too much because of the price. But, the chainrings and rear cassette (by Suntour) seem almost plastic-like in rigidity.

Bottom Line:
For newbies it is about the best thing going for the price. The fork had been acceptable until it got wet. I have beaten the hell out of it on some hard jumps and seriously rocky downhills. Not a bike I would buy thinking to upgrade in the future since 1st, it's not threadless, and 2nd, the cro-moly frame is not the best. I can't wait to get the new 2K1 Giant Rainier.
The Boulder turned me on to riding for good and you can't help but dig Giant's ability to go bottom line on price.

Purchased At:   CycleWorks

Bike Setup:   stock except for Specialized rear tire which made all the difference on climbs.