Giant 1999 XTC Hardtail Bike

4.25/5 (64 Reviews)

1999 Giant XtC SE1, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Light and durable

Bottom Line:
I've owned this bike for nearly ten years now and still ride it. When I bought this bike in high school, it was absolutely perfect. The only things wrong with it are the components and size. The component set is all stock and needs replacing because it is ten years old. The size is only an issue because I've grown several inches since I got it. This is an insanely durable bike.

Purchased At:   Cycle 360

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed, Trek hardtails

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    Light, fast & tough bike

Bottom Line:
Just for fun, I thought I would submit a review after riding my Giant for 7 years (bought it new in 2000). The bike has been awesome and because the frame has been so good to me I'd rather upgrade all other components than buy a new bike (I've put about $3000 in upgrades and am not finished yet....). I have only one dent in the frame, and it was from a BRUTAL accident that nearly killed me. The dent in my skull is about the same size as the dent in my frame, and one of the reasons why I will keep the bike forever is that whenever I look at the dent in my frame I am reminded of the accident I had (I dropped about 15' onto a rock that was as big as a Volkswagon Beetle). Considering the damage done to me and my front wheel, I give the frame strength full marks. The only problem is that as soon as I ride a full suspension bike I am going to want to upgrade....

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Mountains

Purchased At:   A place that sells bikes...

Bike Setup:   Fully upgraded with the exception of handlebars & shifters

Submitted by luke sawyer a Cross Country Rider from Lovell, ME USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    the frame is awesome! it is so light. i have mine with a z5 and and avid mechanical breaks. it is a sweet trail bike. also have 7.0 and 317 wheels i love this bike

Weaknesses:    the frame is really light but not sutibul for hevey weights

Bottom Line:
this bike is the best trail/race bike that i have ever owned
it is such a good value! buy one unless u r lokking for a freerider.

Favorite Trail:   red tail trail, canway new hampshier

Purchased At:   a shop

Similar Products Used:   gt's cannondales and some other giant hardtails

Bike Setup:   z5's lx cranks,317 wheel set,7.0,

Submitted by Jeff Wang a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Strengths:    Lightest friggin frame you can find. Basically, this would be the perfect frame for a CC rider wanting a sub 24 lb bike. LX component gruppo isn't bad either.

Weaknesses:    Frame DENTS really easily like most ppl have mentioned. Seat is a bit hard, but it'll loosen up I'm assuming.

Bottom Line:
Really nice bike, I was happy to pick it up for the price I got it for. I wanted a nice ride, and GIANT bikes give you the best value for your money, can't find a bike setup like this for a price they retail their bikes at, which probably means cheaper resale too. This thing climbs pretty well, the geometry helps in that area.

One problem however was the frame denting easily. Be careful if you're riding around large boulders which in SoCal is sometimes the case. Hit the frame on a boulder by accident and a dent will appear, luckily the dent was minor and it won't affect my rider or future frame strength, but be careful. I hear GIANT has made their frames stronger for the 2001/2002 rides, so check those out.

But overall, for one of the lightest XC bikes around, you can't beat this value! Flamin chillis all around

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto, La Canada

Purchased At:   A friend

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 6000, Kona Fire Mountain, GT XCR-3000

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock, full LX drivetrain, new grips, tubes, etc. Might want to change the hubs (STX-RC), but they work out for me.

Submitted by jim culpepper from AUGUSTA, GA. USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    light weight, i can ride trails again (back problems).

Weaknesses:    this is the 3rd giant mt.bike and the 9th giant i have bought. My '92 cfm 2 (carbon fiber glued alum lug)was perhaps the best mounianbike ever produced, lasted me 8 years and I am 6'-2/ 220. I'm 41 years old and have riden this bike very little off road for the 1 year i have had it and have not come close to abusing it. I broke the seat tube at the shock mount weld while riding through a parking lot hopping over speed bumps. they are going to replace the frame and i hope the newer design will prevent this from happening again.

Bottom Line:
i have bought giants for over 10 years and my dealer was the best when this happen, i just hope it doesn't happen again.

Favorite Trail:   STEVENS CREEK

Purchased At:   ANDY JORDANS

Submitted by Dean a Cross Country Rider from Denver Co

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Strengths:    The Frame is the best part of the package. Drivetrain is better than aveage.

Weaknesses:    The brakes like everyone says, Going to go to XT Hydros or
hope Mini. That means Changing the Wheelset, owell.
The Judy XC is Ok, but at 4.5lbs, kinda heavy.

Bottom Line:
The Frame is so awsome, I bought a 2000sml frame for the gfrnd. Basicly took all my 1999 parts and built her a bike.
With a better set of wheels, it would just break 21lbs. Out of the box it is a good ride. But I got the weight weenie sickness. If you are looking for a good frame to start with and want a light bike. Look no further than the XtC. I picked up my gfrnds frame for $275 used in the Mtbr Marketplace. See you on the trails...:)

Favorite Trail:   Green Mountain

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Nothing stock left, except the Frame. Xt shifters, easton monkeylite riser, ct2 post, raceface SYStem, Flite Ti Gel, XT hollowtech crank, XT Cassette, XTR RearD, XT FrntD, WTB Speed Disc Whl Set, Mars 1 fork...about 22.5lbs

Submitted by Winston a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    This is a great all around bike with many great components. The components themselves work well together and show a decent amount of product testing with one exception...

Weaknesses:    The Formula disc brakes work almost as well as sticking your leg in the spokes. The hubs are only 4 bolt, so upgrading to better discs requires more than just a brake switch. So far I have replaced my rear disk with Avid mechanical discs, and I am more than pleased. The difference is huge. As a matter of fact, I didn't realize that my brakes were so bad until I got these great brakes.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a great deal, and is a stellar performer if the brakes are switched out.

Favorite Trail:   Isle in the Sky

Purchased At:   Arapahoe Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Cadex CFM-2

Submitted by Jeff Yost a Cross Country Rider from Wellesley, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Strengths:    Decent componenets

Weaknesses:    FRAME - Broke while just toying around on it in my garage!!! The brakes are also a pain to keep form dragging and do not have near the power of a Hayes Hydraulic.

Bottom Line:
Great value and decent performer until the frame broke! The sad part is that the frame didn't even break on some heroic crash or any thing even resembling abuse. Hopefully Giant will waranty it, I am going to contact my LSB tomorrow.

Similar Products Used:   KHS Nomad with a Manitiou Spyder

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by frpax a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Strengths:    Frame! Very lightweight. Good component selection.

Weaknesses:    All are rider weaknesses!!

Bottom Line:
Very lightweight and agile. I bought this used and after some initial teething problems, I have come to like it very much. Frame is very stiff due to oversized aluminum tubes. I think I got a pretty good deal after looking at what the new ones cost.

Favorite Trail:   Papago

Purchased At:   Bicycle Wheelers

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   XT throughout including V-Brakes (changing to XT discs); Profile Design stem & carbon bar; Flite Ti saddle; WTB Velociraptors; Bontrager RE-1 pedals.

Submitted by Robb Hampton a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is light and very rigid for alum. It handles very well and is quite responsive also. The specs it came with we "ok" if i remember correctly but i had to do A LOT of upgrades to satisfy my needs.

Weaknesses:    The frickin Formula Discs SUCK. They squeek, moan, come out of alignment, and fall apart. I had the rear come off during a ride, get in the spokes with the calipers griping the disc, and bend the hell out of the disc. bogus brakes in 99. Good upgrade with Hayes though. I did find that Formula was responsive in replacing defective parts though.
I have several dings in my frame on the downtube. I'm a pretty ruff rider, but i don't expect dings.
There are also no brake mounts for the rear in case you change your mind about disc brakes. i new that when i order it, but didn't know how lousy the brakes would be.

Bottom Line:
switch the brakes and you have a great, light, rigid, aluminum frame. i have talked to others with the same frame that have dents on the top and bottom tubes so that tells me that the tubing is THIN!!! however, the massive welds and heat treatment make these tubes pretty rigid which means fast! I changed most of the components to make the bike race ready and Giant has done a good job upgrading this last year also. Fun frame, good geometry, laid back race design. Great deal for what i paid (pro deal)

Favorite Trail:   Mormon Trail, South Mountain, Phoenix

Purchased At:   Pro Deal

Similar Products Used:   Performance M003 Aluminum (1996/7ish), Rocky Mountain (Steel), Scott Pro (Steel), Pro-Flex 755, Trek 8000, more....

Bike Setup:   XTR Drivetrain, Control Teck seatpost, Mavic Disc Wheelset, XT shifter/brake pods

Submitted by Daniel a Racer from Knoxville, Tennessee

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light, fast, strong. Sweet bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    Brakes died quick.

Bottom Line:
The Formula brakes were good new, but after 8 or 9 months the pad adjusters started backing themsleves out on long hills, temporary fix was to stuff a vine in to hold them. After a little over a year I took it in to my shop and they sent mine back to Formula for a replacement. I sold those to my friend along with my wheels and put on XT discs. He has LX levers and they work much better with those than with the stock Avids.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   West Hills Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   '99 SID XC, Race Face BB, Mavic X-317 Citron rims with 14 gauge DT/Swiss Champion black spokes and XT disc hubs, XT disc brakes, WTB SST K seat, Flight Deck, WTB Velociraptors.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Ca

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Strengths:    The SE1-Very light, Good Looking frame. Great Price.

Weaknesses:    BRAKES, they would work OK one day and not at all the next, that is not acceptable.Also the chain should be replaced asap.

Bottom Line:
This Bike is Awsome. It took me a couple of months to work the bugs out(brakes). But now this bike is 100% and I still paid less than half of any other bike of this quality.

Favorite Trail:   Kenter Coaster

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Easton Monkey Lite Bars, Chris King headset, XT Disc Brake system,Mavic wheels.

Submitted by David Morse a Cross Country Rider from Napa Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Light and fast frame...SID XC fork...Raceface cranks...XT rear derailer

Weaknesses:    Well I dented the frame in the top tube and the down tube after a crash. Now I know how thin and soft the sidewalls are. Also...those damm Hayes Hydrolic brakes are NOISEY. They stop very well but after every ride I have to sand the pads and rotor to get the oil off that has leaked out of the calipers. I Know it's oil because on the back of the pad its-self, there is a ring of oil. Pain in the ass to do it every ride. I would change back to "V" brakes except there is no mount for them in the rear, BUMMER. The BB went out after 4 or 5 rides, replaced it to XT. The back hub is going out. It's sounds like it's grinding coffee back there.

Bottom Line:
You cant buy a getter performance bike for less. Just make sure you buy it from a GOOD shop that will replace anything that goes out with no hassles. The shop I bought mine from has kids running it and don't know their heads from their bung holes. By the way that shop would be Pacific Bikes in Cotatti California. They SUCK, dont use them!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Boggs Mt.

Purchased At:   Pacific Bikes in Cotatti, Ca

Bike Setup:   Raceface cranks and 1" riser bar...Thomson seat post...XT rear and LX front derailers...Koski seat...Kore stem...Hayes hydrolic brakes...Hutchinson python gold tires...Deore mega 9 shifters

Submitted by Jeff Kuyava a Cross Country Rider from Duluth MN

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    Good initial parts spec, but upgrades are a sure thing.

Weaknesses:    Brakes, went to Avids, Wheel Set, went to Mavic Cross Link, Frame. The frame cracked on the weld at the top tube, seat tube and wheel stay. A friends SE1 did the same thing. If you hear a creaking and cannot find it look for cracks in the frame. Customer service also sucked. My bike was sent back to Giant in June and I MIGHT get a new frame in October. My whole summer was shot.

Bottom Line:
Seemed like a great bike I really miss it. I hope the 2001 frames are stronger.

Favorite Trail:   If it's dirt I love it