Giant 1999 XtC SE2 Hardtail Bike

4.21/5 (28 Reviews)

1999 Giant XtC SE2, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX E fork

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    Light and durable

Bottom Line:
I've owned this bike for nearly ten years now and still ride it. When I bought this bike in high school, it was absolutely perfect. The only things wrong with it are the components and size. The component set is all stock and needs replacing because it is ten years old. The size is only an issue because I've grown several inches since I got it. This is an insanely durable bike.

Purchased At:   Cycle 360

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed, Trek hardtails

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Strengths:    Light, fast & tough bike

Bottom Line:
Just for fun, I thought I would submit a review after riding my Giant for 7 years (bought it new in 2000). The bike has been awesome and because the frame has been so good to me I'd rather upgrade all other components than buy a new bike (I've put about $3000 in upgrades and am not finished yet....). I have only one dent in the frame, and it was from a BRUTAL accident that nearly killed me. The dent in my skull is about the same size as the dent in my frame, and one of the reasons why I will keep the bike forever is that whenever I look at the dent in my frame I am reminded of the accident I had (I dropped about 15' onto a rock that was as big as a Volkswagon Beetle). Considering the damage done to me and my front wheel, I give the frame strength full marks. The only problem is that as soon as I ride a full suspension bike I am going to want to upgrade....

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Mountains

Purchased At:   A place that sells bikes...

Bike Setup:   Fully upgraded with the exception of handlebars & shifters

Submitted by luke sawyer a Cross Country Rider from Lovell, ME USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    the frame is awesome! it is so light. i have mine with a z5 and and avid mechanical breaks. it is a sweet trail bike. also have 7.0 and 317 wheels i love this bike

Weaknesses:    the frame is really light but not sutibul for hevey weights

Bottom Line:
this bike is the best trail/race bike that i have ever owned
it is such a good value! buy one unless u r lokking for a freerider.

Favorite Trail:   red tail trail, canway new hampshier

Purchased At:   a shop

Similar Products Used:   gt's cannondales and some other giant hardtails

Bike Setup:   z5's lx cranks,317 wheel set,7.0,

Submitted by Jeff Wang a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Strengths:    Lightest friggin frame you can find. Basically, this would be the perfect frame for a CC rider wanting a sub 24 lb bike. LX component gruppo isn't bad either.

Weaknesses:    Frame DENTS really easily like most ppl have mentioned. Seat is a bit hard, but it'll loosen up I'm assuming.

Bottom Line:
Really nice bike, I was happy to pick it up for the price I got it for. I wanted a nice ride, and GIANT bikes give you the best value for your money, can't find a bike setup like this for a price they retail their bikes at, which probably means cheaper resale too. This thing climbs pretty well, the geometry helps in that area.

One problem however was the frame denting easily. Be careful if you're riding around large boulders which in SoCal is sometimes the case. Hit the frame on a boulder by accident and a dent will appear, luckily the dent was minor and it won't affect my rider or future frame strength, but be careful. I hear GIANT has made their frames stronger for the 2001/2002 rides, so check those out.

But overall, for one of the lightest XC bikes around, you can't beat this value! Flamin chillis all around

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto, La Canada

Purchased At:   A friend

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 6000, Kona Fire Mountain, GT XCR-3000

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock, full LX drivetrain, new grips, tubes, etc. Might want to change the hubs (STX-RC), but they work out for me.

Submitted by jim culpepper from AUGUSTA, GA. USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    light weight, i can ride trails again (back problems).

Weaknesses:    this is the 3rd giant mt.bike and the 9th giant i have bought. My '92 cfm 2 (carbon fiber glued alum lug)was perhaps the best mounianbike ever produced, lasted me 8 years and I am 6'-2/ 220. I'm 41 years old and have riden this bike very little off road for the 1 year i have had it and have not come close to abusing it. I broke the seat tube at the shock mount weld while riding through a parking lot hopping over speed bumps. they are going to replace the frame and i hope the newer design will prevent this from happening again.

Bottom Line:
i have bought giants for over 10 years and my dealer was the best when this happen, i just hope it doesn't happen again.

Favorite Trail:   STEVENS CREEK

Purchased At:   ANDY JORDANS

Submitted by Jeff Yost a Cross Country Rider from Wellesley, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Strengths:    Decent componenets

Weaknesses:    FRAME - Broke while just toying around on it in my garage!!! The brakes are also a pain to keep form dragging and do not have near the power of a Hayes Hydraulic.

Bottom Line:
Great value and decent performer until the frame broke! The sad part is that the frame didn't even break on some heroic crash or any thing even resembling abuse. Hopefully Giant will waranty it, I am going to contact my LSB tomorrow.

Similar Products Used:   KHS Nomad with a Manitiou Spyder

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Jeff Kuyava a Cross Country Rider from Duluth MN

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    Good initial parts spec, but upgrades are a sure thing.

Weaknesses:    Brakes, went to Avids, Wheel Set, went to Mavic Cross Link, Frame. The frame cracked on the weld at the top tube, seat tube and wheel stay. A friends SE1 did the same thing. If you hear a creaking and cannot find it look for cracks in the frame. Customer service also sucked. My bike was sent back to Giant in June and I MIGHT get a new frame in October. My whole summer was shot.

Bottom Line:
Seemed like a great bike I really miss it. I hope the 2001 frames are stronger.

Favorite Trail:   If it's dirt I love it

Similar Products Used:   Many other bikes

Bike Setup:   Avid brakes and handles, Mavic wheels, and XT drive trane otherwise stock

Submitted by Billy Butler a Cross Country Rider from Stamford, CT USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2000

Strengths:    Geometry, looks

Weaknesses:    frame strength

Bottom Line:
I enjoyed this bike. It races well, accelerated like a jet fighter and climbed sweet. I had it set up to weigh under 24 pounds. All that siad, the reason I wouldn't buy another is that it dented easy. AMybe because the frame was made so light (under 3 lbs.) But it dented easy. And the real kicker - one day on a routime trail I endoed - wedged my front wheel in a groove and flipped over. I got back on and rode but something wasn't right. It wasn't till i got back to my car that I noticed I totalled the frame. Both the top tube and the mail tube crumpled and bent downward. Obviously, Giant wouldn't warranty it because I crashed. Now I ride hard and like all of us, I endo every once and a while. But to see what happened to this frame was sickening. I am 5' 9" 170 pounds so it's not like I'm this huge mother barrelling around. I since went titanium and love it!!

Favorite Trail:   Mianus River Park, Stamford, CT

Similar Products Used:   Trek , GT

Bike Setup:   Mavic Crossride wheels, Rock Shox SID SL, Xt and XTR componenet mix

Submitted by Jay Friese a Cross Country Rider from ct

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Strengths:    CU92 Frame. Lx Drivetrain

Weaknesses:    Wheel set

Bottom Line:
The bike rocks and i paid 350 for it and the disc brakes so it's a no brainer

Favorite Trail:   Huntington State Park

Bike Setup:   I took that frame and pimped it out. I'm running 00' Coda disc brakes and a Coda expert wheel set w/ panaracer fire xc pro tires.I'm planning on adding: Profile carbon bar and bar ends, tompson seatpost and Race face next lp cranks. I' want the bike to weigh 22 pounds when I'm done

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2000

Strengths:    light, strong, bad as hell

Weaknesses:    frame dents to easy

Bottom Line:
this is the best bike ive ridin and that ive owned. i would take it over any other. i got a great tell for my money. and i love every minute of it.

Similar Products Used:   treks

Bike Setup:   xtr, spin wheels, disc brakes, raceface cranks and bb

Submitted by John a Cross-Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Strengths:
Tremendous Value, Great Grupo, an awesome frame/bike.

Weaknesses:
Wheels a bit soft.

Bottom Line:
This is perhaps the best bike available in the $900 - $1,000 bike range. Having just started riding again after a lay-off due to injuries, I bought this bike as a replacement for a upgraded GF Tassajara. No comparison...at all. Or with any other bike tried. As a 180lb+, fairly aggressive rider, the wheels are abit soft; I've had to true a number of times already. Other than that, the bike is great!

Stillwell Loop, Killington X-country

3 months

None. Came from a GF bike.

Stock: CU92 frame, LX drive train (totally) no scimping with a lower end front derailleur. Manitou SXe fork, Titec, WTB wheels and Velociraptor tires. Added: U.S.E. SX ShokPost.

Submitted by woodster a Cross-Country Rider from College Station, TX

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Strengths:
weight, LX, Titec cockpit, SX-E

Weaknesses:
Bottom Bracket, wheelset, tires, saddle and brakes (frame does scare me, already have two pings on it)

Bottom Line:
I have the bike down to 24lbs(would be 23.5 w/out seatpost) and it performs great! It is a little bouncy on rough downhill sections but I live in TX so that is not a major problem. The brakes suck big time but since I spent all of the money I had upgrading the other stuff I am stuck with what I have for the time being, eventually I will upgrade. If anyone is to buy this bike and could only upgrade one thing I would have to say go for a better BB, it weights a ton! (between .75-1lbs, and is a very low quality) After 3 months of riding mine was so grity and loud the guys on the trail were complaining! even a UN52 would be better than what you get.

Lake Bryan

3 months

Upgraded to Mavic Crosslinks, RaceFace Ti BB, IRC Mythos w/kevlar, Rock Shox seat post and a Selle Trimatic saddle

Submitted by Ronnie a Weekend Warrior from Lexington Kentucky

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1999

Strengths:
Very Light
Looks Good
Overall good components

Weaknesses:
Hard Seat
Brakes are not top notch but acceptable for now, I will eventually upgrade.

Bottom Line:
I love it, it feels very powerfull and strong, it is amazing how light it is. If you are looking for a bike in the 900 dollar range consider this one. I spent 3 full weeks researching and test riding. I had planned on having 2 or 3 finalists when completed but after comparing, there werent any strong competitors for the money (with the exception of it's brother with disc brakes XTC SE1 $1200) so let my time spent save you some with this confusing process. I will try to update after more riding.

Cave Run Lake

Manitou Front Suspension
Upgraded Seat

Submitted by Foxracer a Racer from Ironton,Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1999

Strengths:
Light, and a blast to ride. I am 6'6, 225 and after 4 mos this thing has held up well, except for the this tubing.

Weaknesses:
The frame is way to thin. Small impact with tree put a large dent in the downtube. The brakes are a pain to keep adjusted

Bottom Line:
A good value for $925, although, if I had known more about the tubing I would have gone to a different bike. It sucks to have a bike with a big dent in the tubeing.

Beechfork, WV

6 months

bianchi, specialized,

Panaracer Fire XC pro's make this bike rock.

Submitted by Justin Cesler a Cross-Country Rider from Bala Cynwyd PA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Light Frame
Magura HS33 Quick Silver
Manitou SX-E
Time ATAC's
Black Spokes are cool

Weaknesses:
I don't really trust the frame.

Bottom Line:
This bike is super nice! It is incredibly light and handles amazing. The shock is super plush and MicroLube is such a nice feature. If you buy one get new brakes put on because those Dia-Compe things are terrible!!! The titec cockpit is also a very nice thing to have on a $925 bike. I would recommend this bike to anyone!

Valley Green