Giant 1999 XtC SE1 Hardtail Bike

4.28/5 (36 Reviews)

1999 Giant XtC SE1, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Dean a Cross Country Rider from Denver Co

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Strengths:    The Frame is the best part of the package. Drivetrain is better than aveage.

Weaknesses:    The brakes like everyone says, Going to go to XT Hydros or
hope Mini. That means Changing the Wheelset, owell.
The Judy XC is Ok, but at 4.5lbs, kinda heavy.

Bottom Line:
The Frame is so awsome, I bought a 2000sml frame for the gfrnd. Basicly took all my 1999 parts and built her a bike.
With a better set of wheels, it would just break 21lbs. Out of the box it is a good ride. But I got the weight weenie sickness. If you are looking for a good frame to start with and want a light bike. Look no further than the XtC. I picked up my gfrnds frame for $275 used in the Mtbr Marketplace. See you on the trails...:)

Favorite Trail:   Green Mountain

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Nothing stock left, except the Frame. Xt shifters, easton monkeylite riser, ct2 post, raceface SYStem, Flite Ti Gel, XT hollowtech crank, XT Cassette, XTR RearD, XT FrntD, WTB Speed Disc Whl Set, Mars 1 fork...about 22.5lbs

Submitted by Winston a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    This is a great all around bike with many great components. The components themselves work well together and show a decent amount of product testing with one exception...

Weaknesses:    The Formula disc brakes work almost as well as sticking your leg in the spokes. The hubs are only 4 bolt, so upgrading to better discs requires more than just a brake switch. So far I have replaced my rear disk with Avid mechanical discs, and I am more than pleased. The difference is huge. As a matter of fact, I didn't realize that my brakes were so bad until I got these great brakes.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a great deal, and is a stellar performer if the brakes are switched out.

Favorite Trail:   Isle in the Sky

Purchased At:   Arapahoe Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Cadex CFM-2

Submitted by frpax a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Strengths:    Frame! Very lightweight. Good component selection.

Weaknesses:    All are rider weaknesses!!

Bottom Line:
Very lightweight and agile. I bought this used and after some initial teething problems, I have come to like it very much. Frame is very stiff due to oversized aluminum tubes. I think I got a pretty good deal after looking at what the new ones cost.

Favorite Trail:   Papago

Purchased At:   Bicycle Wheelers

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   XT throughout including V-Brakes (changing to XT discs); Profile Design stem & carbon bar; Flite Ti saddle; WTB Velociraptors; Bontrager RE-1 pedals.

Submitted by Robb Hampton a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is light and very rigid for alum. It handles very well and is quite responsive also. The specs it came with we "ok" if i remember correctly but i had to do A LOT of upgrades to satisfy my needs.

Weaknesses:    The frickin Formula Discs SUCK. They squeek, moan, come out of alignment, and fall apart. I had the rear come off during a ride, get in the spokes with the calipers griping the disc, and bend the hell out of the disc. bogus brakes in 99. Good upgrade with Hayes though. I did find that Formula was responsive in replacing defective parts though.
I have several dings in my frame on the downtube. I'm a pretty ruff rider, but i don't expect dings.
There are also no brake mounts for the rear in case you change your mind about disc brakes. i new that when i order it, but didn't know how lousy the brakes would be.

Bottom Line:
switch the brakes and you have a great, light, rigid, aluminum frame. i have talked to others with the same frame that have dents on the top and bottom tubes so that tells me that the tubing is THIN!!! however, the massive welds and heat treatment make these tubes pretty rigid which means fast! I changed most of the components to make the bike race ready and Giant has done a good job upgrading this last year also. Fun frame, good geometry, laid back race design. Great deal for what i paid (pro deal)

Favorite Trail:   Mormon Trail, South Mountain, Phoenix

Purchased At:   Pro Deal

Similar Products Used:   Performance M003 Aluminum (1996/7ish), Rocky Mountain (Steel), Scott Pro (Steel), Pro-Flex 755, Trek 8000, more....

Bike Setup:   XTR Drivetrain, Control Teck seatpost, Mavic Disc Wheelset, XT shifter/brake pods

Submitted by Daniel a Racer from Knoxville, Tennessee

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light, fast, strong. Sweet bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    Brakes died quick.

Bottom Line:
The Formula brakes were good new, but after 8 or 9 months the pad adjusters started backing themsleves out on long hills, temporary fix was to stuff a vine in to hold them. After a little over a year I took it in to my shop and they sent mine back to Formula for a replacement. I sold those to my friend along with my wheels and put on XT discs. He has LX levers and they work much better with those than with the stock Avids.

Favorite Trail:   Haw Ridge

Purchased At:   West Hills Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   '99 SID XC, Race Face BB, Mavic X-317 Citron rims with 14 gauge DT/Swiss Champion black spokes and XT disc hubs, XT disc brakes, WTB SST K seat, Flight Deck, WTB Velociraptors.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Ca

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Strengths:    The SE1-Very light, Good Looking frame. Great Price.

Weaknesses:    BRAKES, they would work OK one day and not at all the next, that is not acceptable.Also the chain should be replaced asap.

Bottom Line:
This Bike is Awsome. It took me a couple of months to work the bugs out(brakes). But now this bike is 100% and I still paid less than half of any other bike of this quality.

Favorite Trail:   Kenter Coaster

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Easton Monkey Lite Bars, Chris King headset, XT Disc Brake system,Mavic wheels.

Submitted by David Morse a Cross Country Rider from Napa Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Light and fast frame...SID XC fork...Raceface cranks...XT rear derailer

Weaknesses:    Well I dented the frame in the top tube and the down tube after a crash. Now I know how thin and soft the sidewalls are. Also...those damm Hayes Hydrolic brakes are NOISEY. They stop very well but after every ride I have to sand the pads and rotor to get the oil off that has leaked out of the calipers. I Know it's oil because on the back of the pad its-self, there is a ring of oil. Pain in the ass to do it every ride. I would change back to "V" brakes except there is no mount for them in the rear, BUMMER. The BB went out after 4 or 5 rides, replaced it to XT. The back hub is going out. It's sounds like it's grinding coffee back there.

Bottom Line:
You cant buy a getter performance bike for less. Just make sure you buy it from a GOOD shop that will replace anything that goes out with no hassles. The shop I bought mine from has kids running it and don't know their heads from their bung holes. By the way that shop would be Pacific Bikes in Cotatti California. They SUCK, dont use them!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Boggs Mt.

Purchased At:   Pacific Bikes in Cotatti, Ca

Bike Setup:   Raceface cranks and 1" riser bar...Thomson seat post...XT rear and LX front derailers...Koski seat...Kore stem...Hayes hydrolic brakes...Hutchinson python gold tires...Deore mega 9 shifters

Submitted by Jonathan Royal a Cross Country Rider from Philly

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    Very light Cant beat 21 pounds in a bike that costs so little no wonder its the bike of the year

Weaknesses:    the disk brakes are terriable when used they sound like a dying cat, no name seat post

Bottom Line:
I have never in my life seen a cheiper bike for the money

Favorite Trail:   Brandywine Creek State Park

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Big Sugar

Bike Setup:   Put new disk brakes in upgraded to a SID race fork and Thomson seat post

Submitted by Eracer a Weekend Warrior from Westfield, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2000

Strengths:    Very light frame for the price, good set of cranks(XT)and great pedals(after you break them in!)

Weaknesses:    Sh**ty brakes howl like a bit**, can't tuned them to work.

Bottom Line:
If you can find this bike...snag it. It's worth the price just for the frame alone. When you do take it home get rid of the crappy brakes that came w/ the bike ASAP!

Favorite Trail:   Can't say, don't want to crowd it

Bike Setup:   Replaced OEM fork for '00 SID, Easton CT2 handlebar, Kore stem, RaceFace NextLP cranks, back-ordered Avid mech. brakes

Submitted by Eric Chou a Weekend Warrior from Princeton Jct

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Strengths:    Damn Light Frame, only Klein Lighter, very stiff $815!!! Very Fast, very cheap

Weaknesses:    Mine has different componentry (but identical frame plus regular brake mounts)
Magura HS33 somewhat of a pain to adjust
Manitou SX-E fork too soft
creaky Tange BB

Bottom Line:
Damn Fast, and for only $815! Checked with my friends before I bought it, this bike with componentry woulda cost me $1300 or more in the States, but I got it in Taiwan and I have Magura Hydraulic, and I don't have to fool with Formula POS like you suckers!
Anywho, fast, light, fast, great shifting, light, I'd say pretty stiff crank, horrible Tange (who's heard of them?) BB, probably gonna change it to XT, I hate the noise(squeaking, creaking). Fork is decent enough, gets me to where I wanna go, but kinda soft on the road, it feels better on the trails.
Magiura's hug the rim, so playing in deep mud and wet leaves gets me loud hissing untill it cleans up in there. Rims haven't bent yet, they look okay. Am I supposed to hear the freewheel clicking on the LX hub, anyone know?
ESP shifts flawlessly, LX close. Saddle is kinda hard, but I can live with it as long as I don't go riding for a day and get numb. And the bike is just a tad over 24lbs for a 17.5 inch $815 bike. happy.
Rides sweet. Bit stiff in back. If you can find this, it is awesome. Hayes on the 2000 is pretty damn awesome, too.
One word of advice, from what I've read, this bike is more a race and XC machine, dual slolem, dh and heavy thrashing and you'll probably break the frame like those other suckers. First time I rode, blasted two suckers on Specialized M2 and FSR XC Comp.

Favorite Trail:   Mercer County Park

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Xcaliber
Trek 6000
Klein Attitude Comp
Klein Pulse Race

Bike Setup:   1999 Giant ATX 890 with Identical Frame as XTC SE(bought in Taiwan)
LX Crank, front Derailleur
ESP 9.0 shifters and Rear Derailleur
Mavic 221/LX hubs
Magura HS33 Tomac brakes
Titec lil Al, enduro, shorties stem/bar/ends combo
SDG Belair Cromo saddle

Submitted by Dean a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Strengths:    price,

Weaknesses:    bb

Bottom Line:
I got this bike as 99 left over, couldn't pass on the price...I've read all the reviews. And yes the bottom bracket needs to be replaced. Road the bike for a few days, and upgraded to the xt bb. Big difference. I haven't had a peep out of the brakes as of yet. Just spent a weekend doing some heavy xc and not a sound out of the discs...will keep my fingers crossed. Will update my review as time passes.