Giant 1999 Rincon SE Hardtail Bike

3.8/5 (25 Reviews)

Giant Rincon SE

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2002

Strengths:    Good aluminum frame. Decent starter components, compared to other bikes in the same price range.

Weaknesses:    RST front shock, grip shifters

Bottom Line:
Great starter bike for the money. It's taken some abuse with no problems. Grip shifters are a pain in the butt - too easy to accidently shift during wheelies, jumps. Front shock is jumpy. Good all purpose street & light trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   Reach 11, Papago

Purchased At:   AZ Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Sierra, Cannondale M400

Bike Setup:   Stock, RST 281 front shock, Alivio FD, Acera RD

Submitted by Cojac a Weekend Warrior from Miami, OK USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    Price and Frame

Weaknesses:    gears, forks, rims are heavy

Bottom Line:
This is a great lower end bike. The butted 6061 aluminum frame is light and strong. Yes the components are cheap, but they have held up well for me, minus some annoying creaking. I'm not to crazy about the grip shifters, but they have worked adequately. If you don't want to spend several hundred bucks on a bike, this could be the one. Just note that this is the 1999, and newer models have different quirks.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrowhawk

Purchased At:   new on ebay

Bike Setup:   Stock except seat and suspension seat post

Submitted by Al Lockya a Downhiller from Corner Brook

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    none...Actually, the wheels did manage to hold up, somehow.

Weaknesses:    Everything!!!(wheels were a fluke)Frame is weaker than a guy named Overton.

Bottom Line:
This bike is poop. It developed an annoying creak after only 2-3 months in the cranks. Bike feels like jelly to ride, Suntour forks ride worse than friggin' rigid beefs. The brakes needed pads at 2 months. The seat broke open, foam fell out on the road. I weigh 170lbs, and frame broke in 2 pieces from pansy-ass 3-4 footers and minor dirt jumping. Absolute no-no for any type of freeriding, buy the bike if you don't like to ride, or if you are an XC rider looking for a cheap bike for screwing around on. As far as im concerned, just as well to buy a Crappy Tire or Wal-Mart bike. At least they will give you warranty, which GIANT didn't!!!

Favorite Trail:   EXTREME!!!

Purchased At:   T&T bikes

Similar Products Used:   Same quality being about a CCM excel, or Supercycle Bullet.

Submitted by Nick Cassimatis a Weekend Warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2001

Strengths:    STRONG FRAME,NICE BRAKES,

Weaknesses:    GEARS ARE A INOYING SUMTIMES

Bottom Line:
GREAT BIKE, I TAKE IT ROUND LOCAL TRACKS IT GOES PRETTY GOOD. THE RIMS ARE A REAL LET-DOWN THO I THOUGHT FOR $500.00 BUCKS ID GET GOOD RIMS, STILL A NICE SET-UP FOR THE PRICE THO. I PLAN TO PUT MICHELIN WIDEGRIPPERS ON IT, ROCK-SHOX PYSLO (FRONT)AND ALSO SHIMANO DEORE GEARS(27). ID RECOMMEND THIS BIKE TO MID-CLASS RIDERS BECAUSE IT DOES HAVE GREAT POTENTAIL. JUST WITH A FEW AJUSTMENTS MADE:)

Favorite Trail:   dont have one

Purchased At:   redcliffe cycles($500.00 australian bucks dont forget)

Similar Products Used:   RADIUS TARGA,RALEIGH RS 4200

Bike Setup:   ALL STOCK

Submitted by Eric Butler a Racer from Neenah, Wi, usa

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2001

Strengths:    not too many...held up to my abuse for 2 years. and it can still take the 5 footers.

Weaknesses:    well...crank arms creek after about a year of riding...every time i ride it i tork my rims...hanger that holds my front dr broke and cant be replaced...fork squeeks...front break broke after a year of riding...just payed 40 bucks for a tuneup and the d@mn thing went back to its old self that night.

Bottom Line:
dont get this bike unless you want to ride trails that are flat and or paved.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   gear n' up

Similar Products Used:   any giant hardtail or huffy

Bike Setup:   mainly lx some ghetto sh1t too.

Submitted by Eric Butler a Racer from Neenah, Wi, usa

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
dont get this bike unless you want to ride trails that are flat and or paved.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   gear n' up

Similar Products Used:   any giant hardtail or huffy

Bike Setup:   mainly lx some ghetto sh1t too.

Submitted by Cody a Weekend Warrior from Miami, OK USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    Butted 6061 Aluminum Frame, price

Weaknesses:    shifters, pedals, overall components

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry-level bike with a solid, light frame. I haven't done much trail riding, but it suits my needs well as a multi-purpose bike. I'm upgrading to clipless pedals and plan on going with rapid-fire shifters over the stock grip-shifters (1999 model, I heard the newer ones have rapid-fire). I like the brakes, and haven't had any problems with the shocks. The Shimano Acera derailers could also be upgraded. The main reason I bought the bike was the frame which you don't see on many bikes in this price range. Check on Ebay; that's where I found it new for 200 bucks.

Purchased At:   bike & hike

Bike Setup:   mostly stock

Submitted by Devin a Cross Country Rider from Pittsfield MA, US of A

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    The only stock strength is the frame...

Weaknesses:    I would say the biggest weakness is, or was the stock components, they ended up breaking after a little while of hard riding... One day my fu*king shifters broke and i had to stay in tenth gear a damn month... everything cucks except the frame...

Bottom Line:
It was ok for a me rider starting off, but as I gradually got better the bike just diden't cut it. So like I said, I upgraded ALOTT of it! i put over $350 into it... But I'm hoping to keep this bike for awhile and its doing great. I'm killing my friend, with a suped up FSR with 5" of travel on both ends, on the uphill and stayin not too far away from him on the downs... I love my bike!

Favorite Trail:   Bridal

Purchased At:   Plains

Similar Products Used:   umm GT's in simular price range, same with Specialized's...

Bike Setup:   My bike is really nice now. I started of w/ a really nice, light frame and s**** components. I then perchased a new Shimano Deore LX drive train that rocks. I now have a 27 speed w/ rappid fire LX shifters that switch gears so nicly. I then bought shimano clippless peddles. I first tried regular peddles w/ cages but it just did not work for me. Also perchased was a Specialized seat that is much better for riding than the stock seat. I also bought Michelin Wildgrippers that grip a whole lot better than the stock tires. The last thing purchased (so far) was a Rock Shox Judy XC fork. I first thought my bike was pretty crappy, but now, after what I have done for it, it rocks. So i guess I could say The only good stock part on this hellriser is the frame...

Submitted by ????? ????? a Downhiller from newfoundland

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    derailer sux's- shock's are rly junky- crank's are RLY week-

Bottom Line:
bike was alright for the price

Submitted by Luke Scott a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Strengths:    This bike has a solid, strong, rigid frame that is almost indestructable. I had a stack (crash for you Americans) on a 45 degree decline which I broke three ribs. The bike came out of it with a buckled front wheel. Tough bike. Its main strengths are best displayed on moderate off road to road environments or commuting on rougher roads. most of the componentry is of a high quality. polished alloy all over. Little to no rustable parts. A good dual surface cruiser.

Weaknesses:    This is not a bike for people who want to go ferral on the dirt. On chopped up down hill sections the bike feels quite disconcerting. I put this down to its high centre of gravity. The standard group set is also a little lacking. The derailers seem to be a little on the loose side. You can't really expect to much from Shimano Acera. The brakes can feel a little under powered in high performance situations.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It suits my needs perfectly. If you take it on trails that are out of its league, you will find it lacking. I found this out the hard way. My crash was mainly due to my own stupidity but the bikes lofty stance was a small contributing factor.
If you are after something primarily for bush bashing, then look elsewhere. My mates Moab cost almost 3 times my Giant and it performs accordingly on the dirt but I have it over him on the road. The bottom line is that this bike won't let you down unless you try to ride it like a higher end MTB.

Favorite Trail:   The Oaks

Purchased At:   Panthers Cycles

Similar Products Used:   A mates Schwinn Moab. A great alround hard tail dirt bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock except I now run Slick road tyres as I mainly use it for commuting.

Submitted by ryan cove a Weekend Warrior from ny

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Strengths:    comfortable riding position, i like the finger shifters

Weaknesses:    the front and rear deurailer suck, the rims are really weak, i bent the rear in the first month i had the bike, the chocks suck

Bottom Line:
descent entry level bike, i ride hard trying to talk my dad into buying me a full suspension. if you ride hard, dont get this unless youwant to upgrade about every component on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   greenbelt

Purchased At:   park avenue bicycle

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Sam Henry a Weekend Warrior from Launceston, Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2001

Strengths:    Bloody cheap, Good frame,

Weaknesses:    Average components, drive train sux, Fork on the SE is pathetic I bought the standard and picked up a Judy XC on the cheep.

Bottom Line:
This Is my first and only real bike. For the price you can't go wrong. Recreational cross country is the best thing for this bike (after a few upgrades) The new rims were the best upgrade, original ones were weak. The old fork's not worth considdering, Get a standard and buy a decent fork.
Great frame but the components realy are pretty weak.

Favorite Trail:   Mole Creek

Purchased At:   Geard Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona, Giant ATX, Cannondale,

Bike Setup:   Velocity Deep V's, RockShox Judy XC, XT V brakes

Submitted by Reid a Weekend Warrior from Illinois

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Strengths:    Nice and durable frame, a bit heavy though.

Weaknesses:    Front derailer=crap. fork=crap. brakes feel mushy even after adjusting...but otherwise brakes work great. rims are heavy and made out of clay...very bendable...and i ride like a sissy.

Bottom Line:
She was my first and I will always love her, but the travel on the fork is weak as well as the fork itself being clunky and unresponsive. If it's your first bike, you will likely LOVE it, I did until I learned what a good bike rides like. I'm selling mine to a friend attempting to get into the sport and after two years I have never had to replace anything except had to true the back rim due to it being crap.
If you are a long time rider, why are you even looking at this?

Favorite Trail:   my back yard

Purchased At:   Vitesse Cycle

Similar Products Used:   my grandma's wheelchair

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Trail Blaizer a Cross Country Rider from Woodstock ON

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2000

Strengths:    Recon provides a strong frame and overall is a good quality bike. The crome olly frame flexes some to provied a more comterble ride than aluminum. Although it is a hevy froame. I like the 21.5' frames because of my hight making this bike good for the taller riders.

Weaknesses:    The only problem I've hade with this bike is in the front derailer. It stay in 3. The RST 280 Team Series fork is prity good for the price I paied although it could use a little more travle. After a while the derailers begin to loose there responce so swich gears before you need them.

Bottom Line:
Over all this is a good XC bike. Especaly if your just starting. The price is reasonable for what you pay and you get the durability you need. This bike can take whipe-outs and wheely drops and keeps on ticking. The only part that had to be replaced was the rear deraler because a stick poped up and folded it in half. (an advantage of cheep lower end derailers is that they can be replaced cheeper than the higher end ones.

Favorite Trail:   Bone Echo Prov. Park Trails

Purchased At:   Oxford Sports/Cycles

Submitted by Shawn Ahskenasy a Weekend Warrior from Hayward, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2000

Strengths:    Price ( I got mine for 300.00 USD) , Frame, and the colour. I am suprised to say the bike has held up after 400 miles I have not had to upgrade any thing yet. (except went to clipless pedals because I love them so much. The seat is real comphy too.

Weaknesses:    The weight! This things a tank. I only use this as a commute bike. I have not and wont take this bike on any real trails...I would kill my self on it. The components are weak I really only like the frame. The paint chips too easy.

Bottom Line:
This is a great commuter or light trail bike. If you are not big like me you might be able to pull off some moderate trails. I am really impressed with the fact that the components have not all broken off or blown apart. Its a fun bike for put puting around. I am giving it 5 chilis for its value. I might be too hard on Giant but only 4 chilis for the bikes extras and the shabby stuff that comes with the frame. I also must say bravo to Giant for using the same frame for this bike as in the more expensive better stocked bikes, and the cool seat. This not the best out there, but if you like to ride and are not into the best right now mind set you will like this bike. Just like a good starter home has only 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, this is a low maintance good starter bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, Trek, and Huffy.

Bike Setup:   Stock (except for adding the clipless)