Giant 1999 MCM TEAM Hardtail Bike

4.56/5 (18 Reviews)

1999 Giant MCM TEAM, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid SL fork

Submitted by Chully_Bun a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Strengths:    Light and fast; durable and looks cool! Still lighter than most brand new high end hard tails produced today.

Weaknesses:    Came with Formula hydraulic brakes, these have not been the most reliable over the past four years and will likely be my next upgrade.

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. I bought it December 1999 and it is just as sweet today. Still looks great, has the carbon wow factor and rides like a dream. Rode it last year in the Mont 24Hr race (Canberra, Australia) in a three man team; only bike of the three to survive without maintenance. Basically all I have had to do is lube the chain, replace the cables and bleed the brakes once a year, and it just goes [fast].

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to 1" carbon risers; makes for a much sweeter ride. Otherwise, pretty much standard.

Submitted by Mike D a Racer from Long Beach, Ca

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    see previous post

Bottom Line:
This is still the best performing factory spec'ed xc-hardtail I've ever ridden. The parts are still peforming very well (new wheels were needed- but thats hardly the bikes fault), the only complaint I have is the SID fork is a 12 month then rebuild fork at best. When tuned and working properly this fork is a good match for the bike, so I'll put up with the frequent rebuilds. I added an NRS bike to my collection and am thinking of tossing the SRAM half-pipes for XT pods, but the SRAM stuff just doesn't wear out. Still on original DR and shifters.. I have to add a chili to value, even better now since there is no company making a bike like this right now (Trek is Ok but no comparison).

Favorite Trail:   San Juan / SART / Silver Moc.

Purchased At:   Jones Bikes

Similar Products Used:   after owning this bike for a couple years, I added the NRS bike to my quiver - just for grins - another good bike bike Giant

Bike Setup:   Factory (except new wheels have been added since)

Submitted by James Yang a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Strengths:    Superb frame. Combined with all carbon parts, the ultimate bike you can ever have!

Weaknesses:    Negative!

Bottom Line:
The ultimite racing bike. Match with the spinergy wheels, it accelerate even faster.

Similar Products Used:   None. None can come near.

Bike Setup:   Fully XTR parts. (FSA carbon crank), Race Face stem, Answer Hyperlite carbon handlebar, Easton carbon seatpost, Selle Italia Prolink carbon saddle, Ringle headset, Spinergy Spox wheelset with Michelin Wild Gripper Lite, Dabomb Carbon fork . Bike is around 20+ pounds.

Submitted by Daniel Richardson a Racer from San Diego, Ca -------- USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Strengths:    Carbon fiber takes a lot of the soft hits for you. The fork is excilent, the componants are just right for the bike.

Weaknesses:    The Carbon fiber frame wears out quickly.

Bottom Line:
This is the ult racing bike, its fast, light, reliable, and intimidating. This is the bike I would pick over any, it's been a very good bike, but its time to get another just like it. I love it!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Any And All

Purchased At:   T and C Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   nothing came close to this dream

Bike Setup:   All XTR drivetrain (Raceface Crank). Race Face stem, handlbars, headset. Mavic Disk specific rims, CODA hubs, Hayes Disk brakes.Rock shok SID SL fork with 80mm travel. Bike is about 21 pounds.

Submitted by Mike D a Racer from Long Beach

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2000

Strengths:    This bike climbs like a cat, and is very quite. Great parts specs from the factory - Ready to race out of the box!

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
This is the perfect bike for going fast. It climbs like nothing I've ever ridden and with the power and feel of the Hope Disc brakes, going downhill is a blast! Not the lightest bike out there but when you are 6' 185, the last thing you want is to feel the bike frame flexing under you. Very stable in corners and light enough for my racing needs right now. If you can afford (or even find one they are very limited now) and are looking for a frame that is strong and forgiving, this is the bike.

Purchased At:   Jones Bicycle Long Beach

Similar Products Used:   Giant 760, Giant 880 ATX

Bike Setup:   As is from factory - upgraded bar ends, seat (specialized Comp), and seatpost (XL Carbon)

Submitted by Marcus Moore a Weekend Warrior from Plano, TX

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2000

Strengths:    Very stiff and responsive. Excellent climber and great on the flats.

Weaknesses:    Almost too stiff. I had to buy a suspension seatpost so I could ride ore that 20 miles. Had initial problems with getting the bike and problems with the downtube but all is well now.

Bottom Line:
I had originally rated this bike poorly because I hadn't received it yet. After getting it I spent some time building it and took a trip to Taos, NM for the first ride. I had problems with the seatpost dropping so I wasn't impressed at first. After about 4 1/2 weeks of run around from Giant and my local bike shop (not all Giant's fault) I had the bike ready to role. I took the first real ride and I love it. It is so stiff that I had to buy a suspension seatpost so my back would hold out. I tell everyone about my bike and everyone who rides it loves it. If I could take off my prior review I would because this bike rocks. Yes it is a little on the expensive side but you pay for the best.

Favorite Trail:   Cave Run area - Kentucky

Similar Products Used:   Original Giant MCM Carbon.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR (S/B/BL)
Race Face Cranks
Race Face BB
Marzzochi Atom Bomb (Lime Green)
Race Face System
King hubs with 517 rims

Submitted by Andy a Cross-Country Rider from Milwaukee

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Strengths:
plush ride, great braking, light weight, strong as hell.

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
this rig rocks

the river

1 Year

all of them bike shop sales manager

carbon frame, XTR, Hayes disc, titec cabon and ti, mavic 517, x-vert ti

Submitted by Marcos a Cross-Country Rider from Brasilia, Brazil

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Strengths:
It is light,
The geometry,
The response on maneuvers and
It is a beaultiful bike.

Weaknesses:
There isn't a customer department in my country.

Bottom Line:
This bike (19 1/2) fits like a glove. It is responsive on maneuvers, fast and confortable.
Perfect bike!!!!!

Lenhador

6 months

Giant TCM 20,
Trek 9800,
GT STS1 and
GT Karakoram

I bought the frame and mount the bike with SID XC, XTR group, Michelain, Mavic 517 CD, GT hubs and Kore (seatpoet, skewers, handlebar)

Submitted by Nick Luhr a Cross-Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: August 12, 1999

Strengths:
Very light
Very Trick

Weaknesses:
Expensive

Bottom Line:
I got this bike very cheap from the Giant Sales Rep and I would like to sell it since I have two other mountain bikes that I love. The MSRP is 3500. The thing is in NEW condition and I will sell it for $2000 obo. Contact me if you are interested. nickluhr@hotmail.com

Dunn Rd

less than 1 month

never tried another carbon bike

Stock MCM Team

Submitted by Mike a Cross-Country Rider from Machesney Park, IL

Date Reviewed: July 18, 1999

Strengths:
Carbon Frame.
Hydro Disk Brake.
Race Face Turbine Crank.
Race Face System and bars.
Hey John Tomac won all of his championships on a giant, need i say more?

Weaknesses:
A bike that says giant can not have weaknesses!

Bottom Line:
This bike kick TREKS ass there 9.9 is a waste ive seen 3 guys break them. My giants still going after many beatings on the trail!IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD $3,500 THEN BUY THE MCM SE
IT'S THE SAME BIKE ON A SMALLER BUDGET.P.S. MY REAL RATING IS A 10 CAUSE THIS BIKE BLOWS EVERYONE ELSE OFF THE MARKET.

Cattle Moraine

3 months

All of the giant line.

I used mine stock
Because thats how it was designed to be used!

Submitted by Lior Mirkin a Racer from ISRAEL

Date Reviewed: April 21, 1999

Strengths:
this bike is just perfect :
it`s fast ,light and very strong
perfect for cross-country ,down-hill and up-hill

Weaknesses:
none.

Bottom Line:
I want to say that nothing can compare to this bike
it`s simply the best bike that money can buy!!!
it`s the best bike on the market

the carmel area

1 Year

I tried many kinds of bikes
but nothing can compete with this giant!
(kona-kula,hero and more...)

i`d tried many things
but nothing can compare to rock-shox
judy-sl

Submitted by Max Lindner a Cross-Country Rider from Dachau, Germany

Date Reviewed: April 18, 1999

Strengths:
The frame is very light
and stiff enough for my
riding style

Weaknesses:
Surface of the frame is to hard for
Stone-impacts

Bottom Line:
I´ve bought only a MCM frame set and built it up
with XTR-brakes and durable lightparts. Weight is
about 8700 grams (a bit over 19 pounds) with two
bottlecages and real MTB tires. Climbs like hell
and is forgiving on rough downhills. Singletrack
riding is also a pleasure. 5+ Stars!!

Alps

and only reliable light-
parts

Submitted by Jonny a cross-country rider from Ontario

Date Reviewed: March 6, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had the bike for about a month so it is early, but I do know all
the short term stuff. First of all(regarding prior reviews) don't write
anything if your not writing about the MCM, you just make it look bad.
Anyway, about the bike, it is amazing I can't wait to race it. It doesn't
feel like a road bike with fat tires and an excuse for suspension. Although
it isn't very stiff the geometry is good for technical riding and the flex,
about half an inch sometimes allows for a comfy ride. Make sure you wrap the
bottom bracket with teflon tape to stop annoying creeks. Other than that
the frame is great, not a sprinter but fast over all. The components so far are flawless the 9.0 sram der. and shifter work
great. Rockshox SID works far better than I ever imagined. Brakes are
Formula open hydraulic disc brakes. I got a lot of fade at first but once
they get worked in they are far better than any V-brake. Still they take
a while to set up correctly but when they are they are awesome.(below zero
weather causes a lot of fade until they warm up. Lastly the pedals are the
best I have ever tried. The best bike I've ever ridden maybe even seen. Not the lightest at
22.6 lbs but it has a crappy bottom bracket. You could drastically reduce the
weight by getting disc crossmaxes. So anyway if you are looking for a bike
in this range and can justify the bucks, Do It. You won't be dissappointed!PS. The brake rotors develope some play back and forth but it is not the
bolts and can not be tightened since it is pressed on. It feels like a
loose headset but you don't notice it while riding. I think it is normal
since both brakes developed this.

Submitted by Mike a racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

I love this bike. I have had it for over three months and I have placed in every race I have entered. The disc brakes are awesome and the suspension even better. The components are excellent and when I ride it feels like a dream. If you have the money by this bike you won't regret it!

Submitted by lory from North van, B.C.

Date Reviewed: February 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

I do not own an MCM, but HAVE had top have a frame warranted by Giant... I ended up paying extra to go to an 890, form a 78o. After the 780 compacted they said they would not warrantee the same fram for me again, though I was told at the itm eI bought the bike It would be perfect for me. After saying If you don't warrantee this frame I am getting I will sue you for personal injury (a Little specialty of mine) did they buck up and offer me the 890 (which I did have to pay some dough for as well) so watch out!