Giant 1999 EB SPORT Hardtail Bike

1999 Giant EB SPORT, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 281 fork

Submitted by Seven a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Hybrid Qualities... ability to go from Street to Trail without a hitch....

Weaknesses:    After riding with others... I found the bike a little heavy and slower when coasting.

Bottom Line:
Great all around bike, gets looks from the style and name.
Give the rider confidence in knowing it's capable.

Favorite Trail:   Stone Mountain Park

Purchased At:   Atlanta, GA

Similar Products Used:   Giant Sedona

Bike Setup:   Bought new in 1999... kept it stock until 2010 when I changed out the tires for Michelin City.. which is a smoother tire.

Submitted by Reagan a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, Texas, US

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Strengths:    The frame overall is light and very strong. It can be upgraded to be a very competitive hardtail.

Weaknesses:    All original parts outside of the frame. Problems with the frame: no replaceable Rear Derailleur Hanger but it is beefy.

Bottom Line:
It is a good frame and can be built to race quality if you invest in the proper accessories.

Favorite Trail:   OP Schnabel/Leon Creek--Flatrock Ranch

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Sorrento Sport

Bike Setup:   Manitou Super Xvert, Cane Creek Headset, XT V-brakes Front/Rear, LX Brake levers, LX Trigger Shifters, LX Hollowtech Splined cranks, XT Front Derailleur, Deore R. Derailleur, Rockshox Suspension Seatpost, Selle Italia Flight Gel Saddle w/titanium rails, XT Rear Hub, XT 8-Speed Cassette, Rear Bontrager Mustang Asym Rear Rim, Standard Front Rim and Hub

Submitted by Sam a Cross-Country Rider from Kingwood, TX

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1999

Strengths:
easy to upgrade. No strange sizes for headsets, seatposts, etc. For the money, it is really nice.

Weaknesses:
none.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after over 20 years of not riding a bike at all. I've ridden it a lot (lost 20 lbs.), and it has worked very well. A very good bike for someone who looking for a good way to start exercising after years of inactivity.

Willow City Loop

6 months

Other bikes in same price range: $400 - $500

added a thudbuster seatpost, which I really like.

Submitted by Laura a Cross-Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1999

Strengths:
- I felt comfortable on the bike ~ good control
- the breaks

Weaknesses:
Weight
pedals
?shifting? (could just be the bike shop didn't adjust the cabels right the first time)

Bottom Line:
I had this bike for about a month and then my husband started riding it. The frame ended out being a little big for me. I'd gotten a really good deal on it and thought that I could just deal with the frame being a tad large. I did find the bike pretty heavy. Because of that weight I felt very stable on the downhills but was huffing and puffing on the up hills. For a while we were having trouble getting it to go into the lowest gear, but with THREE tune ups, it's finally working right.I felt like I had pretty good control over the technical stuff on this bike.I'd still be riding it if the frame wasn't so big. I'd say it's an ok bike for the money. I got mine for less than $300 from someone who won it in a contest ~ so we can't really complain.

3 months

this bike reminded me of my OLD UNIVEGA.

we changed the tires and pedals.
then for my husband we had to get a longer seat post.

Submitted by Ted Backherms a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1999

Strengths:
Very stable at slow speed on trails.
Comfortable upright position.
Adjustable stem

Weaknesses:
Shifting less than perfect due to grip shift. Prefer rapid-fire.

Bottom Line:
A good entry level bike for light to medium trails. Comfortable for us older riders with less calloused rear-ends (seat post shock). Wouldn't suit agressive riders/racers.

N/A

less than 1 month

N/A

Stock configuration, with the addition of better pedals/toe cage and flat bar.

Submitted by TampaMike a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1999

Strengths:
Adjustable stem and handle bar.

Weaknesses:
stock drivetrain
a bit heavy for an aluminum bike

Bottom Line:
I test drove several bikes but, this one felt best for my riding style. I really like the adjustable handle bars. I can move them up and back for causal riding with the wife and child, then down for off-road trail riding with the guys.
The RST 281 fork is a decent entry level model but, a little on the heavy side. The seat is not too comfortable but, maybe it will get better with some use. I did some research before the purchase and liked what people said about the esp de-railers. I got a great deal on a ESP 9.0 shifter and rear derailer and the bike shop upgraded it. Wow! Really ups my confidence on shifting during aggressive rides. Just got the bike but, I think I'll enjoy it for many years.

none yet

less than 1 month

Gary Fisher...
Giant Sedona
Giant Iguana

added ESP 9.0 rear derailer.
computer.