Giant 1999 EB COMP Hardtail Bike

3.73/5 (15 Reviews)

1999 Giant EB COMP, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy T2 fork

Submitted by soulknight a Weekend Warrior from Hampton Roads, VA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2010

Strengths:    Good stiff frame. Decent (not great) components specced on it for the money.

Weaknesses:    The huge Eddie Bauer logo. The bike is a little heavy. If you're a more experienced rider you will be disappointed with the components. The RockShox Jett-T2 is definitely not one of their better forks. The bike is long since out of production but for the weekend warrior first moving away from the department store bikes this would have been a great bike.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in '99. I was in college and needed a bike to get to from campus yet still be able to hit the trails on the weekend. I have always loved biking but this bike changed my view of biking completely.

The 14.5" frame is much smaller than I should be riding but the size is great for switchbacks and helps offset the weight. I swapped the crank for a larger crank and the bike served me well for a few both as a commuter and trail bike plus one metric century charity ride. I still have the bike and have since swapped over the LX components from my Giant NRS that I recently upgraded.

Now I keep the bike as my commuter, a loaner for friends or if i just feel like goofing around on the trails. Often times I will let friends used it when they are trying to decide on buying a bike from Wal/K-mart or go to an actual bike shop for their next bike. There are 3 bike shops in my area that should give me some commission ;)

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction: Dayt

Similar Products Used:   Huffy and Pacific USA bikes prior to owning this one. Currently I also have a Giant NRS and Giant OCR Touring.

Bike Setup:   14.5" Frame, 26-36-48t crank, 9 speed Mavic X-139 wheels with Shimano LX components. RockShox Pilot-SL fork.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Lisbon, NH USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    The frame, the price

Weaknesses:    Stock parts; especially the crank, the shifters and derailers, and the stem.

Bottom Line:
The frame is really the best part about this bike,. I have been very happy since upgrading to the current setup, but the original components were crap. I would like to change out the shifters and front derailer, but have opted for a new bike instead.

This bike can certainly handle most any trail, and I would recommend it to a serious beginner or intermediate rider.

Favorite Trail:   Walker ranch, Mt. Agamenticus

Purchased At:   Philbrick's Sports, NH

Bike Setup:   XT rear derailer, STX front crank, Profile BOA stem, wellgo pedals, Sunrims with LX hubs, WTB Velociraptor tires.

Submitted by John Fang a Weekend Warrior from Madison, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Strengths:    Nice Al frame, fairly light, cheap

Weaknesses:    crappy heavy components, can't climb steep hills with those velocirapter tires, noisy braking

Bottom Line:
good bike for beginner, but i plan to spend more on a bike for more serious biking. Good bike for light to medium off roading, but anything more u would get stuck and have to get off and walk

Favorite Trail:   any thing fast

Purchased At:   budget bikes

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Bismarck, ND, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Strengths:    Low price, nice frame, comfortable seat.

Weaknesses:    The rest of the bike, except for the seatpost which was also decent

Bottom Line:
It's a cheap bike. If you want a good bike, you're probably better off spending about twice the price and getting a good one. The fork does as little as possible, but does smooth things out a little compared to a rigid one. I ride with really good folks though, who race a lot, and I can keep up pretty easily. Clipless pedals can make any bike 4x better. The stem is way to high (It feels like a cruiser) so I junked that for a straight one. As far as the Eddie Bauer logo, if you get the bike muddy enough, you can't even see it.

Favorite Trail:   Greenhill park, Worcester, MA

Purchased At:   Dakota Cyclery in Bismarck

Similar Products Used:   An old-ass Schwinn suburban.

Bike Setup:   I am poor, so I am currently saving for a full drivetrain upgrade. I put clipless pedals and bar ends on, and also added a straight stem. Pedals helped soooooo much. The stem and bar ends enabled me to abuse the rest of the bike a lot more.

Submitted by Chris Haarmeyer a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2000

Strengths:    Appealling to the beginning mountain biker. I.e., Rockshox, v-brakes, 24 speed rapid fire shifting

Weaknesses:    Riveted Crank

Bottom Line:
When I bought the bike it was perfect for the "weekend warrior". The cheap brake pads/rims chewed up the rims which I had replaced, and the shocks have no negative dampening. You can't even upgrade. The crank was creeking, I had the bearings replaced. I have chalked this bike up as a benchmark. I now know what I want to look for in my next mountain bike. Better drivetrain setup, shocks with negative dampening, a lower top bar, etc. I am now out from the warranty and scared that the bike is going to disintegrate.

Favorite Trail:   Ceaser Creek Lake, Ohio

Purchased At:   Montgomery Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Giant-Iguana, Gary Fisher-Tassahara

Bike Setup:   Stock except for replacement rims and crank bearings.

Submitted by Terry a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2000

Strengths:    Nice frame
Overall Value

Weaknesses:    stock seat
drivetrain

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the beginner and intermediate rider. You should be able to get this bike for half or lower than MSRP. The money you save can be used for later upgrades.

I threw out the seat after the first ride since I found it uncomfortable. The drivetrain will be my next upgrade since it's not as smooth as I would like it to be.

Overall, I can't complain because I'm getting pretty good quality for the price.

Don't worry about the EB logo. It won't affect bike performance.

Bike Setup:   Stock minus seat

Submitted by Brett a Weekend Warrior from Grand Rapids MI

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2000

Strengths:    fork, strong lightweight frame, price

Weaknesses:    drivetrain not the best

Bottom Line:
i love this bike, its great for beginner to intermadiate riders like me,
its a great value, i got for $250,
plenty of extras,
good commuting bike but cant take any REAL hard off-roadin,
drivetrain could use an upgrade after a while
5 flamer thingys for value and overall

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Bike Setup:   100% stock

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    Pretty cheap(inexpensive), OK frame, It works

Weaknesses:    Pretty cheap(Pretty cheap), crap components, gracefull as a tank.

Bottom Line:
My bike just got stolen a couple of days ago and other than the normal anger of being ripped off I wasn't very upset at the loss of the bike. Granted I'm used to tooling around on a 17 lb. bike that handles like an indy car, but I was not prepared for just how ungainly this beast is. I thought that was normal till I started trying some of the slightly higher end bikes. WOW, for a couple of hundred there is a huge difference! On the EB climbing hills would make me seasick with the constant surging of the front forks. Move up to a bike with better forks and that is gone. I had to walk up a hill when I rode it to work because the front would just not shift under any load at all. If I needed to get into a good gear I had to traverse the hill, shift, and continue. I kinda thought a mountain bike would exceed my road bike in this category. I wanted to buy a bike I could upgrade gradually over time, and while the frame on this bike is OK, the components need replacing as soon as you plan to ride it. I intend to spend a little more up front next time. This bike was false economy.

Similar Products Used:   Just crossing over from raod bikes: Jacoveti criterion bike.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Silver Spring, MD

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2000

Strengths:    low maintenece fork, fairly light and good quality frame, lots of upped goodies but not real good, good, but heavyish steel beaded velociraptor tires

Weaknesses:    made squeaking noises(i think it was from the crank set) after i took off road in the mud-
cheesy lookin eddie bauer logo on the downtube-
i think there's black electrical tape lookin tape separating the two-tone paint job on the frame-
it only comes in one color scheme(i think)-

Bottom Line:
you can find this bike for a fairly cheap discounted price nowdays, mainly b/c it is a 99' model and b/c of the unfortunate EB logo.
other than that, my other gripe is the almost crappo suntour crankset that comes stock and the too highly angled stem.
but i gotta admit that it has a strong and light aluminum frame(6010 series aluminum).
this bike is calling out to me for some upgrades right now.

Similar Products Used:   giant yukon, iguana
raleigh m80
specialized rockhopper

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2000

Strengths:    light and strong frame
good low-maintenance rockshoxT2 fork
low price

Weaknesses:    the eddie bauer logo is larger and more prominent than the giant logo.
the drivetrain needs to be upgraded after a couple of hard rides in mud.

Bottom Line:
a good value for beginner to intermediate riders
a good commuting bike but will show its limits when ridden hard off road.
Comes with lots of extra goodies for a giant yukon comparable bike.
I wish I could do without the EB logo, but I guess this is why the bike became so cheap.
I give it 5 flaming things overall and for value.

Favorite Trail:   avalon

Similar Products Used:   specialized rockhopper fs

Bike Setup:   stock except for grips and barends

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2000

Strengths:    Price, front suspension

Weaknesses:    Heavy and cumbersome. Slow in gear shifting

Bottom Line:
You get an awful lot of extra's for the price. It is definitely a bit heavy and for hitting the trails hard, but is a great starter bike. I have been looking for a bike for a while and am reasonably happy this one as a starter. I will eventually upgrade the components in hopes of getting it a bit lighter, but overall am very pleased. If you are looking for a good in-between bike, this is a good choice.

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2000

Strengths:    Price, shock, frame

Weaknesses:    Stem, EB logo

Bottom Line:
I just recently bought this bike at Performance in Chapel Hill/Carborro NC. They had a deal on it for $377.00, so once I got past the Eddie Bauer logo, I swallowed that pride and talked myself into it. I normally ride road, but wanted to get something that could commute well to work, and maybe go off-road now and then. This bike was the smoothest ride of any model in the same price range. Good for a beginner MTB'er, and you just can't beat the price tag. Plus, If your going to buy something with Alivio, you have to know that if you ride the thing hard, you'll probably need to get a new drive train in a few months anyhow. You get what you pay for in this bike, and a little more.

Favorite Trail:   Any