Gary Fisher 2001 Mt. Tam Hardtail Bike

4.5/5 (24 Reviews)

Submitted by Al

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2013

Strengths:    EVERYTHING BUT THE ORIGINAL TIRES

Weaknesses:    Tires

Bottom Line:
Anyone else still riding one of these? Bought it new in early 2002 and used it for two years before my wife hurt her back and ended our MB treks. Has basically been in mothballs since. Thinking about using it this summer though now that the season is coming around. It's been in the garage so long it is like one of the family.

Submitted by jimbo a Weekend Warrior from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    genesis geometry. The cool mother hips sticker on the down tube. Me on the seat.

Weaknesses:    The bike makes me ride too much. I'm supposed to be fat like all my old friends by now, but instead, I'm still in fairly good shape and I have no Idea who the next American Idol will be.

Bottom Line:
well, I'm guessing this will never be read, but: I've loved this bike like a memeber of my family for years. I've ridden it from the Moab to the Dolomitesps to the commute between Chico State and my house. Alas though, My old Mt Tam is showing the wear. I feel like I'm living the last 20 minutes or so of the movie: "My Dog Skip." What to do? I'm buying new brake pads, tires, cables and drive train. Then I'm going to put thousands of more miles on her! The only thing that sucks so far about my bike is the complete XTR drivetrain I put on her in 2003. It has always sucked. HAHA. I love my Mt. Tam.

Favorite Trail:   UMPQUA!

Purchased At:   North Rim Adventure

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   XTR drivetrain. Race face low rise bars

Submitted by coppersmith99 a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Strengths:    At 6'3" the long top tube made the bike a great fit for me. The bike has always been a great climber.

Weaknesses:    The down tube and the front tube on the main triangle and/or the welds where these tubes join the bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
Loved this bike and rode it all over NYC and NJ for about 4 years. I was not aware of any problem with the frame, but simply retired it, planning on selling it on ebay (sorry CM, be careful). I bought a Tassajara and put only a fraction of the miles on the Tass that I did on the Mt. Tam, with most on the road. It started creaking from the bb - sounded like typical noise when play develops in the crank arm/bb spindle. Shortly got louder, and I noticed extra flex when my spin was poor. Whoa! The down tube cracked about 2/3 the way around, and front tube cracked 1/2 around both through the tube and the weld with the bb.

No big deal - I'll just rebuild the Mt. Tam while waiting for lifetime warranty as it was still hanging in the garage. But low and behold, I find that the down tube is cracked almost 1/2 of the way through just above the weld with the bb. No crash damage, no dents, just two apparently identical failures. I contacted Trek almost two weeks ago, delivered the frames to a local GF dealer per its instructions eight days ago and told them that I would be happy with a single replacement frame as I did get at least a few years out of the bikes before they died, and I can only ride one at a time anyway. Dealer says no response from Trek to date and I'm going to have to buy a replacement because I need to ride.

Most XL riders are going to be much heavier than myself. Depending on your weight and riding style, it looks like the frame should be good for about three years. After that, I wouldn't trust it for anything but casual riding. The ratings are for the frame - components are rated elsewhere.

Purchased At:   NYC Retail

Similar Products Used:   Ironically enough, a 2004 Tassajara from GF. Prior to Mt. Tam, a 1995 Specialized Hard Rock - I was lucky enough to ride stairs, drops, downhill and such back in the days before suspension.

Bike Setup:   Stock spec was very good - better be when it retailed for $1800+ back in 2000.

Submitted by CRASH MASTER a Cross Country Rider from brandon,fl usa

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Strengths:    This bike is awesome. Perfect fit, perfect color scheme, and rips up the trails. Frame was bought used so not sure how good the factory set up is.

Weaknesses:    The genesis geometry can make the bike a little on the slow side in tight switchbacks. I wish I had disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
This bike is just a blast to ride. I was lucky enough to find a used frame and build it the way I wanted it. The paint has held up well and the bike looks good for being 8 years old now. I have a sugar bike also but I like riding this bike more. It's tough to beat the simplicity and efficiency of a hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   santos

Similar Products Used:   01 GT AGGRESSOR,99 GF MARLIN,01 MARLIN,01 GF SUGAR 1

Bike Setup:   xl frame,manitou mars comp,xtr brakes and levers,xt shifters,valiant rims with xtr hubs, irc serac tires

Submitted by z1 zonly a Racer from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2009

Strengths:    Truly everything.

Weaknesses:    Can't comment on the entirely stock setup, but mine has none.

Bottom Line:
This bike is flat out awesome. I have never reached its limit before my own, in any regard. It's nice and light and very precise, durable, and SERIOUSLY fast. I've hucked it like an FS bike and it's taken every bit of abuse. I've raced it and beaten numerous bikes that were many times more expensive.

As stated in 'similar products,' this bike is so good that it made me sell my '05 Enduro Comp. Jumping on that thing after riding the Fisher was like getting out of an F1 car and into a Cadillac. No comparison.

And the amazing part is that the bike is now 8 years old. XC-wise, I wouldn't be a bit nervous about pitting it against a similar rider on any newer bike. I would truthfully rather have this bike than any other one I've seen on the market--it's old enough to not be scared to throw it around and let it see a little abuse, but it's still VERY competitive in every aspect of trail riding. Just perfect.

This thing gets ten well-deserved chlis.

Purchased At:   Private sale

Similar Products Used:   '05 Specialized Enduro Comp (not so similar, but the Fisher is so good it made me sell it)

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Bomber Z2 fork, Avid Juicy hydraulic disc brakes, Hutchinson Python tires, Time Atac carbon pedals, Rock Shox seatpost, WTB saddle

Submitted by Prossx a Cross Country Rider from KS

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Strengths:    hmmm, the frame

Weaknesses:    every single component that came stock on this bike

Bottom Line:
this is a follow up from 3 years ago (although nobody will probably read this). Bought this bike new, rode stock for 1.5 years, then upgraded a few components, then bought a Fuel 100 full carbon frame thinking FS was the bomb; the Tam frame slept in the attic for a year. Now its spring 05 and my Fuel frame is cracked after a year, so I swapped everything off it to the Tam...wow! This frame was a sleeper; everything I knew before was wrong. High end parts, discs, Fox RLT100 transform this ride into pure speed and handling, faster than my Fuel and I realized FS made me sloppy, lazy and slower. The Fox Fork and negative 5 deg stem make this thing handle anything with precision...tight singletrack, rocky downhill, etc.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   none, have gone from rigid steel to full carbon FS and now back to this

Bike Setup:   XTR rapid fire shifters/derailleur, M760 cranks, Xmax XL, Hayes Carbon Discs, King, EC70 carbon, eggbeaters

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2004

Strengths:    Great climber, light, fisher's warranty

Weaknesses:    steep head tube angle

Bottom Line:
I spent a lot of time fighting this bike because I had a crappy rock shock xc fork. The angle on the tube was way to steep and the bike had poor stability on steep descents or large drops.
But now it is near perfect using a 125mm fox fork. It still climbs well and I can finally let go on the down hill. Unfortunately I spent too much time with the rock shock trash (both a judy xc and a psylo xc).
If you live in Fort Collins stay away from Lee's Cycle near the school. I had questions about my warranty, which fisher is good about, and the shop manager pointed out another customer told me the other customer bought several bikes a year and gave me no further service.
I had not been rude, or indignant that my frame was broken and I now had to buy new parts to fit the current model year. I had also been patient with his prior lack of service.
Bottom Line; Fisher is a good company.
Dont buy one from Lee's.
If your fisher feels choppy, spring for a longer travel fork. I couldn't ask for more from a hard tail.

Purchased At:   Lee Cycle's (Ft Collins; Jack Asses)

Similar Products Used:   other fishers

Bike Setup:   xt/race face/ thompson/ fox vanilla 125

Submitted by Dan from grand junction, colorado, usa

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    nice frame, fishers warranty policy is premo, climbes like a goat, goes down fast and easy.

Weaknesses:    only my component selection

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet. It was a replacement frame for a cracked mt tam. You need some time to get into genesis geometry, but it creates a full ride. I like to ride my frame a little small so its easy to manuver, but that probably was not necesarry with this bike. If you lean forward on turns this thing can turn on a dime. When your going fast and back a little the front does seem to get light, but it is so responsive to body position that leaning into turns makes it track incredibly. Riding this bike on narrow single track feels like snow boarding in powder; very smooth. It also descends well. I have a crap shock, but on steep drops if you put the seet on your abdoman you can consistently negotiate the freakishly technichal rocky drops. When you want to just air off a ledge the front is light and perfect placement is easy. If you suck this bike will make you look good. Multiple burning turds.

Purchased At:   waranty

Similar Products Used:   94 & 96 mt tam, khs

Bike Setup:   hodge podge, race face next lp, shimano xt shifters brakes and hubs, rithey head set and stem and riser bar, 97 rock shock xc(suck)

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Norwel

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Strengths:    This bike is the schweeeet for $1000-XT/XTR parts, great frame-light and strong

Weaknesses:    i experienced some problems with the front derailler--it moved on me--nothing big though after it was adjusted it was fine

Bottom Line:
This bike is nasty for anyone looking for a really good quality xc bike that can handle downhills

Purchased At:   International Bicycle

Bike Setup:   stock w/ lizard skins chainstay protector

Submitted by Prossx a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2002

Strengths:    Value, XT/XTR specs, Marzocchi Z2 Air shock, frame geometry is very comfortable for taller/longer armed riders. Bike climbs like a mountain goat and bombs thru downhill.

Weaknesses:    Most everything Bontrager. As other reviewers have noted, you'll most likely replace most of these parts. WTB Nanoraptors needed immediate replacing. Geometry creates handling that isn't as tight thru switchbacks and front end gets light on steep hills.

Bottom Line:
Great frame geometry for taller/longer armed riders, very comfortable and handles very well in most situations. Front end lightness can be compensated for by leaning into it on ascents. Z2 Fork is fantastic although a bit heavy (4lbs) for an XC fork. The parts spec is a mixed bag of great to marginal. Unfortunately anything Bontrager that isn't "top of the line" is not good and this bike has a lot of mid-level Bontrager. Both pedals broke after 10 months (replaced free by shop), Bent teeth on LX Cassette, broke chain, bent rear Bontrager skewer, bent Bontrager chain rings. No complaints on the Bontrager Race wheels...very strong and no problems with hubs (yet). This bike is sweet for the money, but plan on replacing/upgrading components over time. Last of the truely high end 26" hardtails from Fisher.

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first suspension MTB

Bike Setup:   Added XT cassette, XTR chain, Salsa skewers, Truvative Chainrings, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires

Submitted by KWB a Cross Country Rider from Snow Hill,MD

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Strengths:    It's a Fisher hardtail.XT disc,great brakes.Z2 Atom works very well.

Weaknesses:    the fork had to be refitted because of leak where lowers and brake arch meet,but now is fine.the free hub went up,but was replaced.seat post slips,replaced that.bearings in rear hub would not stay adjusted,had to add jam nut to axle.

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike.if you want a quality hardtail,get a high end Fisher.I traded a 2002 FSR COMP for this bike!it may sound crazy,but I love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   wooded single track

Purchased At:   Bike Sport

Similar Products Used:   2000 hoo koo e koo

Bike Setup:   stock except XTR front deraileur,Thomson seat post

Submitted by jeff a Weekend Warrior from taylor,mi,usa

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    GENESIS GEOMETRY! LIGHT AND FAST SMOOTH SHIFTING

Weaknesses:    NONE YET

Bottom Line:
LOVE THIS BIKE SO FAR ITS FAST,LIGHT AND MOVES WHEN YOU NEED IT.THE TIRES ARE WTB NANO RAPTOR 2.1 WITCH WORK GREAT FOR ROAD RIDING AND SO FAR LIGHT HARDPACK ,THE FORK IS SUPER PLUSH AND RIDES GREAT.GOT TO GET IT OUT TO THE REAL TRAILS TO SEE HOW GOOD THEY ARE. STILL FOR THE MONEY I SPENT I COULDN'T FIND A BETTER BIKE AND IF ITS ANYTHING LIKE MY PARAGON IT WILL CLIMB AWSOME!AFTER I GET MORE TIME ON IT OFF ROAD I'LL WRITE A REVEIW AGAIN IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   two wheel tango

Similar Products Used:   GARY FISHER PARAGON,TREK 8000,CANNONDALE M500

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR,MARZOCHI ATOM Z2 BOMB,BONTRAGER RACE SHIMANO SPD PD-M324 PEDALS

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Long Island

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Strengths:    Nice and Lite! XTR, XT, Marzocchi

Weaknesses:    Tires suck

Bottom Line:
This is a solid bike, the ride is so smooth. The Bontrager wheelset is sweet, they're light and roll so smooth. Frame geometry is well balanced, very nimble and the Marzocchi soaks up the bumps like butter! I'll give it 4 chili's since the bontrager pedals use a (suggested) different cleat.

Purchased At:   Agees

Similar Products Used:   98 GT Backwoods

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Allan a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    Genesis Geometry, component selection for price point

Weaknesses:    Tires not good in sand, mud, water, or when rolling over anything.

Bottom Line:
My first mountain bike. Like most folks that have reviwed this bike, I also love it. The frame geometry is great. The difference is evident the first second you get on a Genesis bike (and gets even better the more you ride). I agree with all the complaints about the tires. I have had no problems with any of the other Bontranger stuff though(yet?). Bike is lightweight and you must lean forward when climbing or your front tire spins out on anything. I am very happy with the other factory components.

Great entry bike for folks who can afford $1,000 bikes. Has better components than competition at same price point, and similar priced FS bikes.

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Test rides on Trek, Specialized, and about five other companies.

Bike Setup:   All per factory.

Submitted by JOHN a Cross Country Rider from towson MD

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Strengths:    frame geometry, weight, disc brakes, components ( XT/XTR), GREAT FORK ( the first fork i have ever owned that i did NOT break), head set.

Weaknesses:    cranks are not that stiff and wabble after just a few hits in to loggs, the hubs are hands down the worst part on the whole bike. they started giving me major problem afer 6 months. oh yea and the tire suck in mud.

Bottom Line:
I have mixed feelings about the customer support. they would not warenty the hubs when they both blew up, but they did send me a new front disc break no questions asked.

I gave it 5 chilis for value because i only spent $1050 on it through a pro deal so I can not complain.

I only gave it 4 chilis for over all becaue you will end up replacing every thing that says bontrager sooner or later.

BOTTOM LINE
I LOVE THIS BIKE.

Favorite Trail:   anything in the woods

Purchased At:   fisher pro deal

Similar Products Used:   first hard tail.
crack-n-fail super V, shwin home grown,
usps road bike and a vervelo p2k tri bike

Bike Setup:   i reaplaced alot of the bontrager stuff now. now i have the race face next lp crank and ISIS BB, easton carbon bars/stem, thud buster seat post(love it), and the best up grade was getting the spinnergy xclone disc wheels. 22 lbs hard tail with suspension seat post and disc brakes!!

2001 G.Fisher Mt Tam Spec Sheet??

more specifically, the BB size. my local shop cant tell me without pulling it and charging me. i sent fisher an email, but have yet to get a response. thanks in advance [email]type138@hotmail.com[/email]Read More »

2001 g.fisher mt tam BB size???

anyone have the specs for this. my local dealer doesnt have a clue and want to charge me for pulling to check the size. thanks in advance [email]type138@hotmail.com[/email]Read More »

Gary Fisher Mt Tam 2001

I aquired this frame real cheap. I'm wondering if is worth building a bike? I don't race, but do ride hard. Michael<.Read More »

Gary Fisher Mt. Tam 2001

I have this frame and plan to build a bike. Can anyone tell me if this model is similar to any other Genises series hardtails? I don't see anything very close on the web site. Also are there any secerts on building up this frame? And how good is this frame? Is it worth building? I don't race, but d ... Read More »