Gary Fisher 2000 Mt. Tam Hardtail Bike

4.33/5 (21 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou MARS C, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by J a Racer from CaNADA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Great genesis geometry.

Weaknesses:    Wheels , bb, cassette, freehub,

Bottom Line:

The geometry on this bike is pretty fast and nimble for climbing but you really have to throw the rear of the bike around corners.
Bontrager race wheels
I had alot of trouble with the cones comming loose on the rear wheel even when they were properly locked. I had to tighten them at least once a week.
The freehub would constantly stick and i ended up going through 7 of them. This was very stupid considering that for a lot of them they would stick after two weeks of NOT muddy and NOT dusty riding.
On two of the occasions the lockring actually snapped the freehub body's threads off. Once by myself and once by another shop employee. This happened because the lockring could not reach enough threads making them snap off with VERY little pressure.
I solved this problem by buying new wheels. horay
bb wore out after 2 months or so

If the wheels had worked this bike would have been a great value. Even though it still it a great value.
i am never using or recomending bontrager wheels again and i will try to stay away from bontrager parts in general from now on

Favorite Trail:   The coastal

Purchased At:   Bungay's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   rocky mtn
specialized

Bike Setup:   swapped out the original stuff for this stuff becasue it sucked or this stuff was on clearout=syncros ti bar, syncros seatpost, specialized saddle, 517 ceramic on xt hubs, xt cassete, xt bb, new xt f.derailler

Submitted by Dan Rondaeu a Racer from Warren, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2001

Strengths:    due to the genesis geom. it has made climbing soo much easier than a schwinn or Cannnodale

Weaknesses:    rear triangle has too much frame flex

Bottom Line:
I think the Mt.Tam is the best bike i have owned. I have impoved my ridin greatly sense i got this bike last summer. I am glad i went w/ the Tam instead of goin cheap and gettin the Paragon.

Favorite Trail:   Bloomer Park

Purchased At:   Macomb Schwinn

Bike Setup:   bontrager race lites wheels,xt crank, xt fnt derailer, xtr rear, xtr intigrated levers, xtr brakes, thomson stem and stem, easton monkey lite bars, nano raptors tires(quik tires) and carbon times

Submitted by chris from pembroke pines, florida, us

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2001

Strengths:    its perty! so fast.

Weaknesses:    its a little bit flexy.

Bottom Line:
awsomest bike for the money. looks way better than the new 2001 ugly mt tAM. i recomend this bike to sum1 ready to hall a@@!

Bike Setup:   SRAM 9.0sl. rock shox SIDxc. crossroc tubless wheels. thomson post and stem. XT hollowtech cranks.easton carbon flat bars

Submitted by Scott Chambers a Racer from Grand Rapids, Mi

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Strengths:    Bargain race ready hardtail

Weaknesses:    weight! a few cheap-o componants

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike if you're on a budget and love to race or ride like heck! The Genesis Geometry is no joke. It works. This frame climbs like a mountain goat and decends incredibly well. It's the best ride I've ever had, but at a real bargain of a price.

The componant group is pretty good, but Fisher cheaped out in spots you don't usually check. The rear cassette and bottom bracket are LX, which means they're very heavy, but durable. The Nanoraptor tires were wire bead, which is weird. I ended up warrentying the Bontrager Race cranks. After going through 4 middle chainrings (they kept bending) Fisher replaced the whole crankset with Race Lite. They also had constant chainsuck, even in dry weather when my chain was well lubbed and working well. The Race Lite cranks are the bomb....stiff, shift like butter and never ever do I get chain suck.

The bontrager race wheelset is bomb proof. I've put over 2000 hard miles on them and they've held up well. they're heavy though. I've replaced them with Velocity Aero rims, Chris King Hubs and Ti spokes. I also replaced the LX BB with an XTR and the LX rear cassette with an XTR. That and a few other tweeks have gotten my bike down to 22.5 lbs. The original weight with peddals was about 25lbs.

I put over 1500 miles and 12 XC races on the original bike before I replaced anything except chainrings. The next time I buy a hardtail I'll buy a Supercaliber, which I've raced before (borrowed from a friend), but until then my Mt Tam has been well worth the investment! It's got the same ride as Fisher's high end bike without the high cost.

Favorite Trail:   Yankee Springs

Purchased At:   Alger Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale M800, Cannondale Delta V

Bike Setup:   Large size frame, Bontrager race cranks, Bontrager race wheels, XT/XTR drivetrain, LX cassette, LX bottom Bracket, Avid brakes, Nanoraptor 2.1 tires (wire bead), SID XC fork, Time Pedals

Submitted by Matt Hundemer a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Strengths:    nice parts mix...XT disc brakes have an awesome feel to them...XTR rear derailleur give quick, crisp shifts...Marzocchi Z.2 Atom Sport Air fork is very plush... Bontrager Race Disc wheels really sweet!!!

Weaknesses:    took at least 10 hours to break-in the Marzocchi...very unforgiving ride (to be expected from aluminum hardtail)

Bottom Line:
I wasn't too impressed with the Bontrager components except for the wheels (I swapped out the stem immediately)...but a lot of bike for the money...I got a helluva deal though at little more than a grand for this steed

Purchased At:   Montgomery Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper M2

Bike Setup:   XT shifters, fr. derailleur, disc brakes...XTR Rear der...pretty much Bontrager everywhere else

Submitted by Austin Wolverton a Weekend Warrior from Tampa Florida

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Strengths:    Genisis geo rocks
Easton tubing what more can you say.

Weaknesses:    Even in Florida the orange ang blue paint & graphics take some getting use to.

Bottom Line:
My bike is more comparable to a super caliber now than a Mt tam but thats the whole point the frame and fork leave nothing to be desired, (the stock xt / xtr mix with avid brakes and bontrager race wheels are not to shabby either)
great right out the box or great platform to go nuts with upgrades 2000 worth later i speak from expierence.

Purchased At:   Thrifty bicycles

Similar Products Used:   First Mt. Bike (Still a roadie at heart)
Also tested Trek 8500 befor going with the Fish

Bike Setup:   I have already went all XTR on brakes, shifters, Derailers. Raceface Next LP cranks w/ XS ISIS BB also Raceface bar, stem, seat post, and headset, Final touch Bontrager race lite wheels with Chris King hubs finished off with Panaracer tires.

Submitted by Stephen a Cross Country Rider from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Strengths:    Genesis Geometry, Sid shock, XT/XTR component package.

Weaknesses:    None found but will update

Bottom Line:
This bike has performed very well in the first 50 miles of riding. I like the geometry specifically because it keeps the right amount of weight on the rear tire during steep climbs keeping the bike from spinning out. Decends well also. I like the sid because it offers a plush ride while also resetting quickly during fast downhill rooty sections.I haven't rode the bike enough to experiece component failure so I will update. I will also say that the bike handles bumps/roots much more comfortablley than my friends Klein ( not to take away from his great bike )

Favorite Trail:   Clear Springs, MS

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Gt full suspension

Bike Setup:   Stock setup

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, very responsive climber, Good overall value

Weaknesses:    Ugly paint job (2001's look much better); LX level bottom bracket. Not the best bike for quick single-track type of riding.

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike that climbs exceptionally well. Long top tube is very nice for riders that like to stand up on climbs and hammer; also nice for sprinting. I'm actually beginning to like the WTB Nanoraptors after 6 months, although they aren't the best choice for rocky terrain.

The one real weakness is that this bike is not quick handling, and thus, it does not do real well in tight, twisty single-track trails. On the other hand, the bike is extremely stable on high speed descents, as well as steep slow decents.

Based on my $1,400 purchase price, this bike was a great value (sure, I would have liked an XT bottom bracket and cranks, but then the bike would have cost more). Overall, I rate the bike a 4 with the lack of quick handling holding the bike back from a 5 rating.

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Pisgah, Specialized M2

Bike Setup:   Stock - Sid XC & WTB nanoraptors

Submitted by Al Garcia a Cross Country Rider from Chula Vista

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2000

Strengths:    Genisis Geometry, Time pedals, light weight, seat is actually comfortable!!

Weaknesses:    SID shock, flimsy wheels, nano raptors.

Bottom Line:
This bike's pretty good except for the SID, I had high hopes for it, scince it got good reviews, but it felt dead! So I put in the Judy 100, which still sucks but it's better than the SID!!!
P.S Check out www.missioncyclery.com

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   MISSION CYCLERY

Similar Products Used:   Fisher kaiati, & cannondale CAAD4

Bike Setup:   Stock except for XT splined cranks, suspension seat post mavic cross-link rear wheel & a 1999 judy 100

Submitted by Brett Blackwell a Cross Country Rider from Naperville, IL USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2000

Strengths:    It is a complete package. Almost everything works together to make this a faster ride than other bikes with better components.

Weaknesses:    Cranks, BB, tires (NanoRaptors handle poorly in rocky conditions)

Bottom Line:
This bike gives me 1+ MPH over my previous bike on hardpack -- partially due to the tires (Nanoraptors). Swapped out the front tire for an agressive Tioga and solved the stability problem on rocky terrain (I still get the 1+ MPH with the new tire). I found the geometry a little tricky on tight hairpins at first (lotsa dumps), but this was fixed when I replaced the front tire and cut nearly two inches off the handlebar. I love the Bontrager Race parts and the FS2000 ti saddle. The Mars C fork is awesome. The Time ATAC pedals are great (yeah, so what if it takes 10 fallovers to loosen them up -- they are worth the pain). Don't buy this bike if you aren't serious about going fast -- it's race geometry is best enjoyed at speed. This is one phenomenal bike: light, solid, and fast.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   Spokes

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000, Trek 6500, Klein Pulse Comp

Bike Setup:   Manitou Mars C fork, XTR rear der., XT front der./shifters/levers, ICON cranks, Time ATAC, Bontrager FS2000 ti saddle, cheap headset & BB, Bontrager Race everything else

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    Great geometry, SID, most of the parts
Warrenty (see below)

Weaknesses:    BB creaks constantly. Some shifting problems. Frame crack!
Race wheels too flimsy. Semi-slicks suck!

Bottom Line:
The frame cracked. This was not a weld crack, but by the lower part of the seat tube. I only caught it when it was almost all the way around the tube. I am large (6'2", 250lbs). The wheels seemed to go out of true constantly. Semi-slicks are only good on the road. The BB sucks and needs constant repair. I will admit I did about 1000mi of touring on it which could have caused the problem. I think this my be a one off. If you are lighter than me, this bike should hold up, but save the recepts and check your bike. If heavy, get something steel (though for big guys this geometry is a dream). The SID was great though. Fisher was nice and is replacing it. Remember, only suckers and Christmas Shoppers pay full retail! Wait for a sale!

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek 930 (heavily upgraded)

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2000

Strengths:    Genesis Geometry and frame not as stiff as others I have owned in the past.s

Weaknesses:    UN-52 BB and the Bontrager crankset. Don't much like the color scheme and decals, but are essentially OK for the price of the bike.

Bottom Line:
Supple ride for a aluminum hardtail. Light weight for a stock bike, althought I plan to change the cranks to Shimano XT with splined BB. Component package is very good for the price of the bike and everything on the bike seems to operate and function as expected. A good value in my estimation. This is a great bike for a weekend warrior and for most unsponsored racers operating on limited cashflow. The bike is plenty fast for my type of riding and climbs like a spaceship powered by a plutonium fueled rocket engine. Most riders will not be dissappointed with this Gary Fisher product.

Favorite Trail:   Rainbow Rim Trail-Arizona

Purchased At:   Ride-Away Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Bizango, Marin Indian Fire Trail, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock out of box except for replacing the stock pedals with Shimano M-747's, my old but great favorites.

Submitted by GETTO RYDER a Weekend Warrior from CANTON MI

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2000

Strengths:    THE GENESIS GEOMETRY IS GREAT!!! BEST THING OUT THERE..ITS FAST LIGHT AND EASY TO RIDE

Weaknesses:    THE CRANKS AND THE TIRES

Bottom Line:
THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THE BIKE IS FAST LIGHT AND EASY TO RIDE. I SPENT 2 YEARS LOOK AT BIKES AND TRYING THEM OUT AND THIS IS THE REAL DEAL.... IF YOU DONT HAVE A GREAT TIME WITH THIS BIKE THEN YOU BETTER GIVE UP THE SPORT. FOR THE LOW PRICE OF $1450 THIS BIKE IS BAD ASS!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   HIGHLAND REC &POTO

Purchased At:   TWO WHEEL TANGO

Similar Products Used:   THE WHOLE GARY FISHER LINE , TREK 8500,8000,7000 ALONG WITH THE MARLIN AND THE STUMPJUMPERS

Bike Setup:   STOCK RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX

Submitted by Kris Rees a Weekend Warrior from Walla Walla, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Strengths:    Good frame. Decent shock.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager Race crank. UN-52 BB. Black seatpost scratches like nobody's business. Handlebars too wide. Tires suck.

Bottom Line:
I had a 98 Gary Fisher Paragon frame with a Judy SL fork and an XT/LX shifting combo (no GripShift for me). It was stolen from me, and given that I spent approximately $1500 getting the Paragon to those specs, I thought "why spend time figuring out exactly the perfect custom setup for your bike when you can just buy a $1500 bike". So that is what I did. I loved the Paragon frame for it's insane climbing ability, but it was significantly heavier than the Mt. Tam that I have bought. But I am not exactly sold on the SID XC fork. I may be in the minority, but I really loved the Judy fork. It was admittedly not as plush as the SID, but it didn't squeak, and it wasn't nearly as hard to get dialed in. I also had many many problems with the Bontrager Race crankset. Basically, it sucks. My lbs agreed with me and swapped it out for an XT crank at no charge, which has performed flawlessly. The Bontrager cogs have pathetic ramps which tend to derail the chain and jam it, rather than shifting the gears. I snapped two chains and launched myself over the handlebars once before I figured out the problem. I also had the lbs swap out the BB for an UN-72. Definitely a much better drivetrain setup. I am not convinced that the Mt. Tam is any better than the Paragon, especially not $3-400 better, especially when you consider the upgrades that I made would have pushed the price of the bike up another $200, if I didn't have such a patient and understanding lbs. I am not really impressed with the quality of such an essential component of the bike as the drivetrain, especially on a bike that is not cheap. Honestly, I would recommend the Paragon to anyone looking at this bike. It is not worth the extra $$. So in terms of value, I would say this bike is average, so 3 chilis. It is not an exceptional bargain, as it does come with some crap componentry, but it is by no means a rip off. Overall, I would say a 4. It is much better than average, but it falls far short of perfect. I had to make too many upgrade to make the bike comfortable for me to ride. Nice bike, not a perfect bike, but a nice bike. I would rather see a full XT setup rather than the LX/XT/XTR/Bontrager drivetrain. Honestly, XTR ain't that cool...

Similar Products Used:   97/8 Fisher Paragon.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Easton hi-rise bar, Titec bar ends, XT crank and UN-72 BB. Lizardskin fork boots.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Beach

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Strengths:    Frame design, the genesis work great in directing the riders weight further back, The bike climbs like a goat, it does things i would have never dreamed of riding up, on the flip side is goes down even faster, the breaks and shock work together very well. the bike is also a steal at 1400 w/ xtr and a SID fork... The bike is fast as HELL!

Weaknesses:    LX bottom bracket, handle bars were too wide and the grips weren't big enough, my hands would rub against the shifter quite often.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a great deal with wonderful parts, Over all THE BIKE IS FAST AS HELL!

Favorite Trail:   El Moro Cyn.