Gary Fisher 2000 Hoo Koo E Koo Hardtail Bike

4.42/5 (31 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

Submitted by flyingmoose a Cross Country Rider from Herndon, VA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    This frame is just perfect and makes even some of the cheaper stock components not seem so bad. Heck, it outlasted 2 of my bikes so far.

Weaknesses:    I could not find one except there was no rear disc brake mount that was part of the frame, had to buy an adapter from GF, which was actually a good price.

Bottom Line:
Over the last 9 years this bike has been the mainstay of my riding. I have used it mainly for trail riding all over the east coast on any trail I could find. Never had any major issues, Like I said, great bike, good price (do not know what it is now) and it has outlasted two of three bikes (84 Haro Master).

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer's Farm Trail

Purchased At:   Hudson Trail Outfitt

Similar Products Used:   Cake-3 which was basically the same thing sans the rear shock.

Bike Setup:   Was stock until I broke the frame on my 2004 Cake-3 and moved all the parts on the Cake-3 to the Hoo Koo E Koo then upgraded to Disc Brakes.

Submitted by Peter from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Frame geometry (Gary Fisher Genesis), Judy XC fork, Deore/LX derailleurs, Velociraptor tires, Bontrager rims

Weaknesses:    Weak front disc brake and levers, rough seat

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry level/intermediate bike! I bought it in 2001 after my other HooKooEKoo was stolen. I love the way this bike climbs and descends...the Genesis geometry is great! I've ridden this bike mostly single-track, cross county. The Judy XC is nice on rocky downhills. My only gripes is some of the quality of the components. A lot of other reviews knock the disc brake, which I found to be adequate. I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone who wants a fun ride at a good price.

Purchased At:   Budget Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana SE

Bike Setup:   Stock, but swapped for a straight handle bar, Shimano 515 clipless pedals, and a "friendlier" seat for the family jewels

Submitted by b smtih from kingston

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    Genesis geometry, quality frame, climbs great, light weight.

Weaknesses:    Paint chipped pretty easily on down tube.

Bottom Line:
Bought the frame only from LBS, saw it hanging up in the shop, and asked if it was available.

Built with components from old bike - Miyata Elevation.

Love the way it handles, and climbs. Seems very nimble.
Would definetly recommend this bike to the pretty serious rider without a lot of cash laying around. It handles everyday riding on technical trails. Only had to replace the
derailler hanger.

Favorite Trail:   FOMBA trails

Purchased At:   Wheel Power

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana, GT backwoods, Miyata Elevation

Bike Setup:   Mavic 517 with LX hubs, Indy XC fork, Nashbar clipless,
DX rear derailler, XT front derailler, LX linear brakes.
IRC Mythos XC tires.

Submitted by Byron Cavandish a Weekend Warrior from Easton, PA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Strengths:    Very fast, strong, smooth, balanced

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Outstanding bike for moderate to advanced riding. This bike climes hills with easy, and is so fast it's scary. I ride on what is considered to be moderate to advanced trails, and I wouldn't trade this bike in for anything. It's very easy to drive. The only down side is it's kind of heavy, but I like that. It has a very solid feel when riding, and braking is a dream. Would by it again. Anyone who likes to ride, but is moderate rider will love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Round Valley

Purchased At:   Bike Line Allentown

Similar Products Used:   Giant Iguana, GF Tassajara, Specialized FSR, Trek 4900

Bike Setup:   Shamino Deore, and Shamino Deore LX, Bontrager Wheels, Disc Brake

Submitted by Steve from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Full on smooth stuff! Everybody who has tried it thinks it's the smoothest bike they've ever ridden, and these are seasoned riders. It glides like a vintage Merlot, and handles as refined as a Mozart string quartet. Gary Fisher's Genesis geometry has shortened the chainstay and lengthened the top tube, amongst other things. This contributes to the way the bike evenly distributes weight between front and rear and lowers the centre of gravity. For the price, it CANNOT, i repeat, CANNOT be beaten. i venture so far as to say that it will give any sub-1500 hardtail a run for its money. For once, a product that lives up to the high standards set by the name of the manufacturer. If you're looking for a hardtail and not looking to mortgage the house, GET THIS BIKE!!!! 5 hairy Taiwanese sausages!! Kudos to Gary!

Bike Setup:   Stock Hoo Koo E Koo, comes with Bontrager Kra-Rims, hubs, crowbar, 9-speed LX mechs, front disc brake, Aheadset, Bontrager Revolt slick tyres.

Submitted by KW BROWN a Cross Country Rider from Snow Hill, Md, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Strengths:    Great frame.I'm 225 and I pound this bike.Good wheels,great geometry.Good components for the money.That 100 XC has been a great fork,and I like the bars.

Weaknesses:    Front disc is junk.Even after break in,no power.Not crazy about the Promax levers.Saddle has weak rails.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy this bike.Tons of fun.The only things I have broken on this bike are 2 saddles a big ring and middle ring.I ride this thing alot,its just a tuff machine.This bike has been so good, my wife also rides a Fisher.If you want a quality hardtail,you need to check out Fisher.

Favorite Trail:   wooded single track

Purchased At:   Bikesport

Similar Products Used:   Giant Sedona,Trek 930

Bike Setup:   Magura Julie disc,LX V brakes,platform peddles,WTB saddle w/cromo rails,42T chain ring for added clearence

Submitted by Kace a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, UK

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2001

Strengths:    Decent frame from a good builder

Weaknesses:    Some low-end components

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in about '95. Since then I've replaced every last part except the seat post. I still reckon it was worth the money, and it rides as good as most XC set-ups. I think the key is not to expect too much of the in-house components, ride it a year or two then replace these with better, because the frame is good enough to benefit from it. You're getting a serious frame, with rideable kit at a budget price. Oh but I'm relieved I bought before that dodgy front disc was introduced.

Similar Products Used:   cheaper MTBs

Bike Setup:   HKeK frame, EVERYTHING else upgraded

Submitted by Dedrick Curtis a Racer from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Strengths:    Great beginner bike, color, geometry.

Weaknesses:    Front disc, lower end components, rear wheel.

Bottom Line:
This is my first mountain bike so I really don't have anything to compare it to. Front disc is cheap and bends easily, and you have to buy a whole new wheel for the rear if you want to add a rear disc. However, great for someone wanting to start mountain biking and that's why I love it!

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   Bike USA

Similar Products Used:   None (1st bike)

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Specialized body geometry saddle, Shimano M636 clipless pedals, and Avid speed dial 7 brake levers.

Submitted by Shawn Obra a Racer from Bellingham, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Strengths:    Climbing, geometery, fork, wheelset, descending

Weaknesses:    wieght, cheap componetry shows after hard riding, I've bent the seat post and handlebars, broke the crankset, shifters, front derailluer, and disk brake

Bottom Line:
I would defanitly consider buying this bike if your into moderate trail riding; but if your hardcore expect components to break, bend, and fail. I don't regret buying this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fat Lady

Purchased At:   Fairhaven Bikes, Bellingham, WA

Similar Products Used:   KONA Muni Mula

Bike Setup:   LX, XT, XTR Drive train, avid disk on the front, time alium pedals, specialized strongarm II crankset, easton ct2 handlebars, thomson elite seatpost, continental tires

Submitted by JayTec from Pittsburg, CA. /USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Strengths:    Great bike for a decent price!! RockShox Judy XC's ride plush, disk brakes aren't bad as well...stock LX rear deurailer a lot better than what similar bikes had to offer...

Weaknesses:    Needs better front deurailer, an upgrade on the disk brakes, better pedals, better crank(at least an LX) and I wish it could be just a little bit lighter...All in all, great bike!!

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for its price...just needs a better front disc brake, better front deurailer, pedals, and needs to shed maybe a pound or two off the overall weight of the bike...

p.s. thanks babe for the bike!!

Purchased At:   Copeland's Sports

Similar Products Used:   Trek 850,Schwin Moab

Bike Setup:   Basically stock but added a plush WTB saddle, bontragger race lite bar ends...Future set-up, Easton Carbon dh/handle bars, shimano pedals, XT disc brakes, RockShox SID fork, XTR front and rear deurailer, etc.

Submitted by Ari a Weekend Warrior from Stratford Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Strengths:    The fork and the geometry

Weaknesses:    Front Derailer and the Front disk brake

Bottom Line:
I posted when I first got the bike and now I wish to add a bit of information. This bike still rocks like a Bi#*h. I am having a hell of a time with the front brake though. It still stops me, but I can no longer wait to replace it. I have had it professionally set up twice thinking that maybe it just needed some good luvin, but apparently that ain't the case. Maybe I am just to big for what it was made for. Whatever the case, it has to go. The front derailer, which I have noticed others dislike as well, kinda stinks, but again, it can be replaced. If Fisher were to put all the stuff we wanted on this bike, he would have to discontinue the next one up the line. One more thing. I stated in my earlier post that the bike soaked up the small hits with ease. Now I know that it's not to shabby on the large hits as well. How I do love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   All down hill, No up hill. (I wish)

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from reedsburg,wi, sauk

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    very solid bike, great shock and great color.

Weaknesses:    the seat is as hard as a rock.

Bottom Line:
great bike!! This bike can climb a hill like no other I love it and recomend it to anyone who can get there hands on it.

Favorite Trail:   devils lake

Purchased At:   budget bikes

Similar Products Used:   cannondale f500, specialized rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   stock except for the specialized pro saddle.

Submitted by gordon a Cross Country Rider from Yokota, Japan

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Strengths:    GREAT FRAME!!! Tight feeling in the curves, and nasty on the downhills. This bike has improved my riding style and confidence. A great buy.

Weaknesses:    Lots of componets that need upgrading. No matter what people say about the front disc brake. It simply does not stop the bike securely or quickly. The adjustment knob is only reached by going through the spokes, and the manuel is not worth the paper its printed on. Also, the crank is pretty low end as well.

Bottom Line:
SUPER BIKE. This bike rides like a caddy. The fork and frame setup makes this bike fun to ride. I would recommend this bike to the "middle of the road rider" who wants to ride great, but can't spend a huge wad of bucks on anything.

Favorite Trail:   Ome Mountains

Similar Products Used:   Giant atx

Bike Setup:   XTR brakes, LX levers, and crank.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Portland OR USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Strengths:    Great paintjob. Front disc brake works well for a mechanical disc. Climbs like a Jeep. Turns quick. Very solid construction. A lot of bike for the money.

Weaknesses:    A tad on the heavy side. My 94 steel Bridgestone MB4 is lighter. Has more lower end components than I'd like out of the box.

Bottom Line:
I've seen this same bike at other stores WITHOUT the front disc for well over $850. I'm very happy with it. It is the nicest bike I've owned so far. I have no real complaints with it. The front Rock Shox fork kicks arse. I guess I'm surprised at the amount of confidence a bike like this gives you when taking on harder stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Surveyors Ridge

Purchased At:   Rivercity Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Heavily upgraded 94 Bridgstone MB4.

Bike Setup:   Replaced rear LX with XT. Replaced noname crank with an LX crank.

Submitted by C Dawg Kella a Cross Country Rider from misissauga,ontario,canada

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    genesis geometry,avid disk brakes,front magnum fork absorbs well once broken in

Weaknesses:    heavy,components not all that,seat could be softer,drive train is not for extreme riding

Bottom Line:
This bike is a definite upgrade from what im used to however the drive train has its problems. When I lay on it hard it squeeks as if it is hurting i imagine its the crank but im not sure. Its a heavy bike but then again i went for the disk brake version(avid disk brakes)which pack on the pounds. Im happy with the frame and the disk brakes which stop on a dime as long as u have them tuned properly but i must say for the 1499 canadain which is what they were asking its a rip.I got the guy to drop the price 250 and it ended up coming to 1525 with tax but originally it was going to be 1750 which is a crazy price for this product.I do a lotta single track and it seems to perform good on easy trails once u start going crazy on it shifting and laying into it tends to display its weakneses its not a hard core racer but for the 1525 canadain with tax im happy. I plan to get some new components were needed like crank and drive train as well as a new seat and suspension seat post.Overall its a good value but im sure theres better bets for the money your suposedly paying for the genesis geometry.

Favorite Trail:   erin mills

Purchased At:   cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   test drove a few in price range used to have diamond back topanga as a kid

Bike Setup:   fully stock hookooekoo with cateye comp.