Gary Fisher 2000 Big Sur Hardtail Bike

4.55/5 (76 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Eviltwin a Weekend Warrior from Leutkirch, Germany

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, Geometry, Bang-for-the-buck

Weaknesses:    It's a HARDtail - get a comfy seat. Decals look cheesy.

Bottom Line:
One of the all time greats - a classic. Fisher's Genesis frame is awesome (mine is a XL). You will be hard pressed to find a better all-around, do-anything bike for a better price.

Favorite Trail:   Alps

Purchased At:   Classifieds

Bike Setup:   stock, except: seat, seat-post, tires

Submitted by mikey a Cross Country Rider from Edinburgh midlothain Scotland

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2010

Strengths:    Scandium, made in usa, Quality frame,fast,Committed to speed,Rewards Experienced riders,Light ,Fantastic Build Quality,Flaweless,Mavic crossrides Juicey 7,s ,,Huge satasfaction in every way every ride..

Weaknesses:    not suited to clumsy riders & slow riders ,, use as intended only.

Bottom Line:
My 4th mountainbike,, By far & away my best ,Buy a scanduim Hardtail fron fisher one of the Founding Fathers of our Beloved sport & i Guarntee if you use the Componets listed you will never change

Favorite Trail:   all

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   alpinebikes Edinburg

Bike Setup:   fast, xtr,easton monkeylites,EA 70,rocx shox,mavic crossrides,juicey 7,s hope,raceing Ralph.

Submitted by Tyler a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Strengths:    Good components nice tires light weight

Weaknesses:    Hard seat

Bottom Line:
Great Bike
Good Hardtail

Submitted by Chris Knaffle a Cross Country Rider from Hillsdale, MI

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Strengths:    For the money, I don't think you can get a better bike. Great components, sweet paint job (especially compared to the 2001), and an overall very functional bike.

Weaknesses:    Seat was way hard. Stem was too short.

Frame is cracked in two places, but its been that way for 3 years, so I just keep riding it because they haven't made a frame that looks as good as this one since 2000!

Bottom Line:
Can't beat this bike for the money. I love mine.

Favorite Trail:   fort custer

Purchased At:   Kettle Moraine

Bike Setup:   Velociraptor tires front and rear, new seat, longer stem, XT front deruilleur, otherwise stock

Submitted by Jeroen a Weekend Warrior from Arnhem, Holland

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    Geometry and quality components used

Weaknesses:    Not a real weakness but finding replacement parts for the Bontrager components is hard when most of the shops only sell Shimano (compatible) parts...

Bottom Line:
After riding the bike for well over two years and eating approx. 6000km of dirt with it I think I am entitled to chew on some minor details.
The problem with the Bontrager parts (crank, bottom bracket, rear/front hubs) is that it is hard to find substitute parts here in Holland and if you do you do not have much choice or variation. So, if I ever buy a new bike it will be all Shimano components (except for Magura brakes).
I changed the drive train twice since I purchased the bike. I think this is normal because there is not much left after 2 times 3000km :)
I had the bearings of the rear wheel including cassette body changed ones but that problem hasn't come back. And what amazes me the most is that the Bontrager RE1 pedals are still holding, the look awful but keep going!!

The bottom line is that I think that I will be riding this bike until the frame breaks!

Favorite Trail:   Veluwezoom

Similar Products Used:   Marlin '99

Bike Setup:   Stock exept front derailler and bar ends

Submitted by Triolian National a Weekend Warrior from Shreveport

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    weight/price

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. Its light and strong, kicks ass on climbing. It had a few upgrades when I bought it, but I love it. The front end does get squirrely on climbs but I am light at 155 lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Bodcau

Similar Products Used:   trek 6500

Bike Setup:   xt rear/lx crank

Submitted by Johan van der Heijden a Weekend Warrior from Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    Genesis Geometry, Value for Money

Weaknesses:    Front Suspension Manitou SX, brakes

Bottom Line:
Great bike, I love the Genesis Geometry. Especially climbing becomes fun with this! I recently broke my frame, but it will be replaced by Gary. Great service!! The reason I bought this bike is the good value for money balance. It performed well in European Alps, Belguim Ardens and the dutch mountains (just joking).

Favorite Trail:   Schoorl, The Netherlands

Purchased At:   Tromm, Amsterdam

Bike Setup:   LX - XT, Manitou SX, Bontrager Wheels, steering and seat, Avid brakes

Submitted by sHasta a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, wheelset, and pedals.

Weaknesses:    Fork, (Mantiou SX I believe)

Bottom Line:
I have ranged from ~210-240 during my time owning this bike and it was taken a beating. For some reason I cannot seem to break this wheelset. I folded the rear wheel on my Ruckus like a soft taco, but these cheap-o bontragers take a licking (although my 170lb buddy bent the front one a little.. thanks Mark). This bike has been smashed into tree, droped off a bridge (along with me :( ) laid out on a rock garden, hell I have done 3-5ft drops with no problems. At first I did not like the bike, but after the hell that I have put it through.. I love it. The fork is the only down side, a bit sloppy, what can you ask for with a sub $150 fork? .... it hasn't broke.

Also, I would like to add if you are in the Charlotte area and in search of the best bike shop, goto Bike Line; Shane, Cory, and Brian will hook you up.

Purchased At:   Bike Line of Charlotte

Similar Products Used:   GT Tequesta, Mongoose IBOC Comp, GT Zaskar, GT Ruckus 1.0

Bike Setup:   Stock, with the exception of grips and tires.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Strengths:    Great componetry for the money, Genisis Geometry is great for climbing.

Weaknesses:    Stickers are horrible, and I had to upgrade my brakes.

Bottom Line:
GREAT GREAT bike for the money. If you are going to do some light racing, but mainly just having fun, this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Issaquenna

Purchased At:   Trails End

Similar Products Used:   None, I love this bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock, expect I put Avid Ti Brakes and a Body Geo Saddle on, and Time ATAC clipless pedals.

Submitted by Stark a Weekend Warrior from Highland, CA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    Still a great bike.

Weaknesses:    Seat, brake levers, rear tire.

Bottom Line:
After two years, I still really like this bike. I also have a sugar 2, but actually prefer the big sur for trails with more down than up hill riding. It would be nice if you could lock out the front shocks for riding on pavement. The addition of a suspension seatbost is a great improvement.

Somehow I bent the heck out of the small chainring but it bent back and works just fine.

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   2001 sugar 2

Bike Setup:   replaced seat with terry liberator, added thudbuster seatpost, panaracer fire xc rear tire, deore brake levers

Submitted by Ross Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Oregon

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    Good frame design puts over the rear tire for better traction. Pretty good components LX, 80mm. Bomber Air Shock. Good brakes (for V-brakes)

Weaknesses:    Rims bend easy

Bottom Line:
It's a good bike for the money if plan on riding for a while. It's not a hardcore downhill bike, but it can take a thrashing. If your an intermidiate mountain biker this is a good bike. (The shock kicks @*%)

Favorite Trail:   Powell Butte (No where else to go)

Purchased At:   River City Bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2001

Strengths:    Genesis geometry, some stock components (XT rear, LX levers, re-1 clipless pedals)

Weaknesses:    Most other stock components (seat, bontrager rims, tires, bontrager crank , manitou SX fork. As someone said before ugly too

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike originally for fast commuting around the city but have been using and abusing it on trails. I like the frame very much but I had to send away the fork after 3 months because the steer tube came loose which wouldnt be a big deal but the service from manitous distributor or whoever fixes it was terrible and for some reason I ended up having to pay for it. Also if u wreck alot of chain rings the first thing you'll find out is that a regular 4 bolt ring wont fit very well on the bontrager comp crank, it will work but you could be in trouble if the chain slips off. The only chain ring that u can get is the racelite which is about 100 canadian loonies. Im slowly adding better and tougher components to this bike, and it is good for its money so im giving it 4 flaming poo's but overall with the bontrager components its only gets 3 flaming poo's.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Rocky Mountain.

Bike Setup:   Added continental tires, titec handle and bar ends, raceface crank, and 1664 bmx pedals.

Submitted by Dan K from Toronto, On

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2001

Strengths:    excellent price and excellent bike.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses. I think it is so ugly.... that it's beautiful. So this isn't really a weakness.

Bottom Line:
Very good bike for a very very low price. If you can find it get it (by I doubt you will).

good luck

Submitted by Jon Halligan a Cross Country Rider from South Salem, NY

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2001

Strengths:    Good parts for the price. Nice geometery fits me perfect.

Weaknesses:    Rims

Bottom Line:
Great riding and handling bike.
Strong frame, I need it Im 6'1" and 250 lbs. Bought the first one, Nov 99