Gary Fisher 1999 Xcaliber Hardtail Bike

4.72/5 (50 Reviews)

1999 Gary Fisher Xcaliber, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou X-Vert E, 4.0" travel fork

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    Super lightweight Easton Frame and the Hayes Discs of course! The riser bar works for me too.

Weaknesses:    There's a pretty noticeable creak in the frame when I'm cranking hard uphill, fork is leaking fluid out the top of the right side stanchion.

Bottom Line:
A do-anything-once hardtail made for the trail rider who doesn't want full suspension. This bike is NOT intended to be a racer with its stock set-up, so if you come across this bike in the classifieds, please bear that in mind. I did Moab in the spring of '99 with my Trek and now wish I would've gotten the X-Cal in time for the trip. The bike has made me a much more confident descender, and with the slacker geometry and heavier weight, has also made my climbing style much more powerfully efficient. And it's also managed to go more than three years without any major rebuilds or repairs. I'll be moving on to full suspension in the near future, but the X-Cal will always be remembered as the catalyst for my "new-and-improved" riding ability. Four and a half flamin' chilis picantes for value since I did have to swap some parts and a full five for overall because it is so d*mned fun.

Favorite Trail:   gotta go with porc rim

Purchased At:   World Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Nothing REALLY similar, but previous hardtails I've had include a '98 Trek 8300 and a '97 GT Karakoram

Bike Setup:   Swapped pedals for M545's, tires for Velociraptors (still my fave tire of all time), and saddle for WTB Ti Rail. Everything else is stock.

Submitted by Halvard Avdem a Weekend Warrior from Norway

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    The frame,perfect geometry,climbs like there were no tomorrow. Hayes brakes, bontrager stuff, excpt the wheels.

Weaknesses:    Manitou fork, Bontrager rear hub, I managed to bend the axle when i was way out in the woods, suddenly the freehub did not work. Bad paint.

Bottom Line:
Great bike superb handling both uphill and downhill,tioga really sticks to anything.The SID will have to go its to flexy, wheels will also have to go, as soon as i can afford it. Sram kicks ass never any trouble.Perfect for all day thrashing. A few minor upgrades and it would suit almost anyone.

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   GT Ruckus 1.0, 2.0, avalanche, Zaskar x. Gary fisher x caliber 2000.(better fork) Trek 8900, 8500 and many more

Bike Setup:   Sid fork (upgrading to Black or Sherman or fox) SRAM 9.0/9.0sl all over, selleitalia seat, tioga XC tires, THE fender

Submitted by Rob Wilson a Downhiller from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Strengths:    The frame has absolutely AMAZING geometry. For the most part the components spec. is great.

Weaknesses:    The fork - Can you say "pogo stick with blown seals?"
The saddle - Easily changed though
The wheels - What were they thinking?! these things look like they belong on a road bike! I cracked the rear wheel two weeks after buying the the thing.

Bottom Line:
Let me say this: I LOVE THIS BIKE! This bike is 100% sure footed in almost any terrain. With the 24" rear wheel it's a bit of a pig up the hills, but throw a 26" back on and BAM! You my friend, have yourself a billy goat on crack. I've done as big as a 7' to flat on this thing with absolutely no complaints from the frame. The landings are a bit harsh, but hey, its aluminum, so i'm not complaining on that. If they had just put on a better fork and wheelset, this bike would blow away most of the competition right off the show oom floor. Now...all I need are those Azonic 454 cranks, and the Evil chain guide...

Favorite Trail:   anywhere with drops

Purchased At:   Summer's Backcountry Outfitters (Thanks John, you RULE!)

Bike Setup:   '01 Psylo XC set at 5"
Sun Mammoth front wheel
24" Doublewide rear wheel on a Hugi hub.
XT rear der.
LX chain rings and driveside crank arm
Specialized non-driveside crank arm (I rounded the square taper on the LX on a 6' to flat)
Primo Super Tenderizer pedals
SDG Bel Air saddle
Hayes 6" hydraulic discs (YEAH BABY!)
2.35 IRC Kujo DH front/rear tires

Submitted by Artemus a Downhiller from Napa Valley California USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    geometry/easton tubing/high speed stability
stiff rear triangle/disc brakes/wheels
berzerker DH saddle/quik release seat post clamp/
climbs like a billygoat/descends like a speeding bullit

Weaknesses:    weak production fork/I upgaded with an aftermarket 98'dual-
crown XvertR 4" stroke fork.this fork was made for this bike
steel crow bar/stock tires suck.switched to Specialized Team
tires after two rides
Gary emblazed his name on the frame nine times!

Bottom Line:
When I got my hands on my xcaliber lata in 98', it was the
first and only long travel, or "freeride" hardtail on the
market.I saw it at Interbike98' and had to have it!(despite
the paint job)
The genisis geometry is great for climbing,and bombin'down.
This summer it placed me in the top five in sport class-dual
slalom five times,twice in the final.It rips with precision!
The ultimate go anywhere,do anything bike.With three bottle cage mounts you can go faaar.Not quite an XCracer,but works
for that too.
Highly recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Buckeye/Skyline Park

Purchased At:   employee purchase (bike shop)

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra comp/Santa Cruz Chameleon
Specialized Sworks M2 comp

Bike Setup:   98'Manitou XvertR/gold Pro Taper 2.5 riser bar/generic short
stem/MRP dual slalom chain guide/Carumba cranks/black and
yellow EXUS DH clipless pedals/00' SRAM 9.0 Halfpipe 9 speed
shifter & derailer/IRC MythosXC 2.1 on the front/Specialized
Team Control 2.0(front specific)on the rear
yellow roll-a-ma-jig is a nice touch

Submitted by joe doone a Racer from midland

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Strengths:    29 speed is excellent the. it is not very heavy compared to so bikes i have tried for the same price range. i just bought a thud buster they are great the colour of the bike is great lots of people notice it because of it. the disk brakes are great they work like a charm.

Weaknesses:    well there is no weakness with this bike well except for the seat but thats not a big deal

Bottom Line:
garyfisher is the way to go it is the best and the genis geometry is wicked if you have a chance to buy a a bike buy this one its awsome the reason i paid 550 for this bike is because i bought it off my uncle

Favorite Trail:   i like them all

Purchased At:   a house

Similar Products Used:   none that i am a ware of

Bike Setup:   xt,lx,hayes

Submitted by Dave L a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, WA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Great frame geometry, awesome brakes, excellant climber, good overall componants

Weaknesses:    bad tires, horrible seat, disk brake roter bolts come loose, seat post clamp had to be messed with a lot to prevent seat from creaping down

Bottom Line:
Super fun bike. Been riding serious single track trails since 1988 in Californin, Oregon & Washington and this is the most fun bike I've had. I'm a big rider, 6'1" & well over 200 lbs and this bike (large frame) handles awesome, from technical climbing and switchbacks to hauling a$$ downhill and everything inbetween. I've only bent the back rim & 1 spoke once and it trued up beautiful. Didn't like the bright color at first but it grows on ya. Nobody thats tried my bike didn't like it. Great ride!

Favorite Trail:   Lewis River, Woopty, Siouxion Creek

Purchased At:   Bike Gallery, Portland, OR

Bike Setup:   Rock Shocks seatpost, Specialized Body Geometry seat, SKS fenders for our 9 months of rain, bar ends to make it an even better climber.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Upland

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2001

Strengths:    Frame, frame geometry, brakes, and fork before it breaks. This bike climbs what most riders only ride down. Descents are fast, precise and confident. The best at any price for hardtail free ride.

Weaknesses:    Fork when it breaks, LX chain rings, stock chain, rear hub, and paint. The fork is sweet before breaking. For 170-lb. rider it bottoms a couple times on each ride and eventually disintegrates. For my riding style, bottoming the fork a couple time a ride is good, I know I’m using all the suspension. I replaced the original fork with a 2000 Manitou Xvert (only $199 from Price Point) and after several adjustments (as expected) it works great. This fork is a little on the heavy side. Time will tell if it holds up. The LX cranks are supriseingly strong; however, the chain rings wear out fast.

Bottom Line:
This bike would be a good cross country racer, but not for the highly competitive. With Hayes disk brakes, long travel fork and other hefty components, it's about 2 lbs. too heavy. Go buy another bike for that, but keep this one for all around fun. You will beat the average rider up anything and pass up most FS bikes on the downhill. The FS riders will never keep up with you on the switch backs.

I have about 3000 mile of nasty mountain riding on the bike. The brake pads will last a about 1500 miles. When changing the pads, I change the break fluid also. It was suprisingly contanimated. There was no noticable change in performace, and that's good.

I run higher than average tire pressure (50-55 lbs.) so the wheels remain straight. The bearings in the Bontrager hub are weak. That's it for complaints.

This bike is a great ride and has taken me on many great epics. It has a certain flow to it, it's stable and comfortable at high speeds (38-42 mph) and can also handle tight technical sections like a trials bike. I've been mountain biking for 12 years and have had more fun on this bike than any other.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Really Sick

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Klein, GT

Bike Setup:   2000 Manitou Xvert, SRAM pc-99 chain (after trying several this is the best), otherwise stock.

Submitted by The Burner a Racer from Glendale, CA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Strengths:    This Xcal is the ultimate uphill machine with a stable & f'n fast downhill! The stock Hayes disk brakes, Bontragger rims are perfect together, the X-vert fork it came with I switched to the new Bombers and have the perfect hardtail racer. It wieghs a meer 25.5lbs and the Easton tubing gives me a great stiff push into turns. I would recomend this sled to anyone who can push her fast and hard, because she is a bullett...

Weaknesses:    Look somewhere else, this one has no weekness but the rider on its back! late....

Bottom Line:
Get one!

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto, La Canada

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   SuperGo, Santa Monica

Bike Setup:   Hayes disk, Bontragger rims, Xtr/Xt, X-vert shock

Submitted by david k a Racer from Cleveland Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Strengths:    Great geometry. Luv the long travel up front. Flashy looks.

Weaknesses:    X-vert E fork bites!!! I'm a jumper, luv dat big air, but I'm light (160#). Rebound damper busted in a month. Waranty to the rescue. Rebound damper busted 4 months later and the top of left tube blew out (probably due to poor reassembly after service). I was covered w/oil.

Bottom Line:
I have never felt so agile on a bike. Something about the geometry just fits my bod and style, let'n me ride this thing like a maniac!!! I can't say enuf about it. The components are fine (LX) and I'm sick of whiners thinking they can tell the difference between a couple of ounces. Lose some weight from your ass! Stock tires suck. Shock sucks but it is part of the geometry. I'm looking for a new shock. My first discs too and I'm having probs. Front has little power and spoke-n-wheel doesn't know how to fix it. Downhills are tuff w/a weak & squeeling front disc.

Favorite Trail:   Downtown Cleveland

Purchased At:   Spoke-n-wheel Chagrin Falls

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Hayden Strickland a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins CO

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2000

Strengths:    Geometry, Suspension (z1 Flylight)

Weaknesses:    Bontrager Componets seat post

Bottom Line:
I have reviewed this bike once before, and here is what I think of it six months later. Bontrager is not a good company. First of all, the wheel set is a 28 hole set for lighter wheels, however if you ever brake this wheel your only choice is to completely rebuild a new wheel ($$$) or by the race disk wheel set again ($$$). I have broken both the front and rear wheel on this bike. I stripped out the rear freehub riding it only three months after purchase. And now just a week ago I tacoed the front wheel. Keith Bontrager needs to quit trying to change standards and instead stick with them. The example, a 28 hole rim, and a free hub that requires a 12 mm allen, and a lot of filling to the bearing race to even fit the allen into the free hub. If you have money, buy the bike, that way when you break it you can afford to buy specific parts. But if not, go with something else.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Rock And Road Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek 930

Bike Setup:   Speed Disk Rear wheel, rock shocks seat post, lx crank

Submitted by Nils Broström a Weekend Warrior from Gothenburg, Sweden

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Strengths:    Brakes, geometry and overall handeling

Weaknesses:    LX in front

Bottom Line:
Love this bike! It´s really great when its going straight up, quick in steering and the brakes...
Fits me perfect, i´m 188 cm and i ride a "large" model. I´m not that heavy so the fork fits me perfect.
Perfect for the advanced weekend rider with some ambition!

Favorite Trail:   Chamonix, France

Similar Products Used:   Scott comp, team racing

Bike Setup:   Straight from the factory!

Submitted by Phierce a Racer from Mission Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
Oh yeah, listen to the dood below this review, I am a massive 115 lb rider and destroyed this fork in a rock garden. Rock I hit musta been at least 3 inches high maybe 3.5 ....Itz getting repaired now, suckz cuz now Im on the road bike for 2 weex. Avoid this situation and throw a better fork on. I gotta hand it to the fork though, 11 months of pretty hard use, I mean what should I expect. I dont hate manitou, they are good; zokes are better

.....god I hope this doesnt happen again anytime soon

Favorite Trail:   Holy Jim!! Trabuco!!! The Luge!!!

Submitted by goose a Downhiller from Moab, Utah

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2000

Strengths:    Brakes are incredible, much better than the cable actuated brakes that were spec'd in the catalog, frame geometry is awsome, seat is comfy for long rides, and the wheelset is bombproof.

Weaknesses:    Manitou X-Vert E is very easy to break, the LX cranks are not as stiff as the Bontragers that were originally spec'd on the bike.

Bottom Line:
I dumped the fork off this bike before I even began building it because I was familier with manitou from previous experiences. A friend that rides the same bike affirmed my worst fears about the X-Vert when this massivly huge 135 pound rider took the bike off a whopping 10 inch drop (huge I tell ya!) and cracked the left side lower. Didn't bang the fork on anything, it just decided to break.
For those complaining about the bontrager cranks originally spec'd, I should remind you that the brakes originally spec'd were the cable actuated Hayes, however I heard that Hayes didn't meet the demand. Consider it a good thing cause the full hydros are ten times smoother. Loosing the good cranks but getting better breaks is worth the trade off. New cranks are far cheaper than new brakes.
Other than above stuff, I love the bike ! Frame is bombproof, as well as most of the components.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Big Sur. Diamond Back X-2, and Zetec Comp, A few GT's, Santa Cruz Heckler.

Bike Setup:   Hayes, Marzocchi Z-1 QR-20 (5" of travel, wahoooo!!!) Race face cranks, Chris King.

Submitted by Phierce a Racer from Mission Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Strengths:    Strengths..hrmmm...well for 1 its the best trail riding hardtail in the world. Not really somethin to race (sure you could), but it goes up and down in serious style

Weaknesses:    -I've loosened those bolts once..no biggie..just tightened 'em down good and they havent done it again.
-The weight is a little high..but I dont really notice it, and it hauls a$$ downhill
-The FREAK 9 spd DRIVETRAIN!! I hate that thing!..worx tho, but the chain has a free spirit

Bottom Line:
Yeap this one is a classic. Its darn near impossible to endo, becuz of the giant fork travel and giant front triangle. This climbs and descends very well, certainly not the best in either category, but thats why it makes for a good training\trail riding bike. the HAYES ABSOLUTELY HAUL A$$! this bike is a full on monster, so have urself phun and make sure ur wearin a helmet..4 chilis for being a good all around bike but not the best at anything (except maybe fun)

Favorite Trail:   HOLY JIM!!! TRABUCO!!!! ThE LUGE!!!!