Gary Fisher 1999 Supercaliber Hardtail Bike

4.47/5 (17 Reviews)

1999 Gary Fisher Supercaliber, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, Answer Manitou SX Ti, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, MO USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2007

Strengths:    Light, stiff, durable, stable steering at high speeds.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely nothing.

Bottom Line:
I bought the SuperCaliber as a frame only, 16", in '00. It has enough room for a 2.35" rear tire, and can take all the abuse you can give to it. I only weigh 150lbs, but I've never noticed any flexing or other issues from hard riding. My frame weighs exactly 3.0lbs, and doubles as a sweet "road" bike in the wetter, colder months due to its light weight (just add road tires and a rigid fork!).

I'll ride this into the ground--which will probably be a lot more years--and then have a custom frame made to its dimensions.

Purchased At:   Walt's Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   SuperCaliber frame, SID Race fork, Rolf Dolomite wheels, XTR/SRAM 9.0/Race Face drivetrain

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Harrisburg, PA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2005

Strengths:    Ages well! Wheels are phenomenal, original shock still working!

Weaknesses:    None, considering the age.

Bottom Line:
Found lightly used at a swap meet a few springs ago. I beat the snot out of this bike, but it needs absolutely zero maintenance. The original shock was rebuilt twice (only due to incompetant shop tech) and aside from a small amount of leakage, works well. I am replacing the bottom bracket this winter, and probably the shifters. Aside from a very, very minor wiggle in the front wheel, I haven't had to true the wheels ONCE! The ceramic braking surface is fantastic as well, and I hesitate to upgrade to disc brakes because I know I'll have to spend SO much to find a wheelset as good as this. Buy this bike if you find it at a swap meet or on ebay, because you just can't go wrong!

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 Aluminum, Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Original wheels, brakes, hubs, shock, gears. Upgraded to XTR front and rear derailleurs, club roost handlebar.

Submitted by Maciej a Cross Country Rider from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2001

Strengths:    - light and it feels
- Bontrager ceramic wheels (and resulting braking performance)
- geometry (I guess it is individual, I am 6"3' and bought 19' frame)
- atac pedals are brilliant!

Weaknesses:    Let me work on this one. A! the supplied brake pads where crap.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. This is my first aluminium bike and it is nowhere near as hard as I feared it would be. Genesis geometry works for me.
The price was steep but I do not regret a single $ (or DEM as the case may be) - it is a great XC machine and I love it!
Makes me want to cry it is winter and my weekends are spent skiing instead of climbing hills on it (that is why I took the time to write the above).

Similar Products Used:   GF Aquila '98 - previous bike
Specialized Stumjumper FXR XC - demoed only - not bad
GF Sugar 3 - demoed only - comfortable but feels too heavy

Bike Setup:   Stock except seatpost - Thompson Elite, I needed a longer one (410 mm).
I am also playing with tires as the semi-slicks do not offer enough grip for me (currently Schwalbe Black Shark 2.1 was put on the rear, Specialized Extreme Masters 1.7 are next in line to be tried)

Submitted by Drew Whitehead a Racer from N. Ogden, Utah

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Strengths:    This is a way light bike. The frame has lived up to my hard hard riding(broke brake arch off judy sl and popped 6 spokes out of rear wheel)even though it is made for cc racing i used it more for a dual slalom bike.

Weaknesses:    Wish it had more tire clearance by the chainstays. Even though the frame cracked it is because of the 6 foot jumps and dropoffs which it wasn't made for.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for XC racing and riding. But I used it for that then did dual slalom for it and the frame and MOST of the components are still stock. If XC rider get it! If dual slalom rider get a different bike!!!

Favorite Trail:   Deer Valley trail #17 and #6

Similar Products Used:   GT timberline FS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Trek 8500LT, Trek Y3, Trek YGlide, K2 Animal, and don't forget good old POS huffys!!!

Bike Setup:   Gonna put Marzocchi Z1 fork, Azonic riser bars, Shorty deluxe stem, Butcher DH rims, Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 tires, Syncros seatpost, Diamond Back wayyy spikey flat pedals(scars on shins to prove it).

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Southern Maine

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    I really thought this was a nice bike. Very comforatble in all conditions. Wheelset is very light and overall weight of bike is unbelievable. Genesis Geometry is a comfortable position for everyday riders and racers. Price was worth it.

Weaknesses:    There really is not many. A lot of flex in the rear braking, possibly due to the powerful new Shimano V-brake.

Bottom Line:
The value is great. Manitou SX Ti Fork. Chris King/Bontrager Race light wheelset which retaisl for $800 alone. Full Shimano XT which is almost as good as XTR. Very reliable bike. Great for anyone seeking a fast ride.

Favorite Trail:   Windowmaker

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo and Lemond Reno

Bike Setup:   Stock except for a X-country Riser Bar and Tires. There's not much to upgrade.

Submitted by Dusty a Cross Country Rider from Iowa City

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Strengths:    The XT components, Bontrager Racelites, SX Ti fork, and Genesis geometry.

Weaknesses:    Immpossible to find one. Ok I guess the barends suck but that is personal preference.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It is super fast, light, and climbs like a dream. The Genesis geometry may get some bad feedback, but I really like it, because it corners smooth and makes climbing easier. Also the MRD lock out is great for sprinting, and climbing. I don't race or anything, but I can't imagine a recreational rider needing anything more. This bike delivers and I couldn't be happier, and since I bought mine new for $1800.00 I feel I got a good deal.

Favorite Trail:   Sugarbottom

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000

Bike Setup:   Stock, for now anyway.

Submitted by malcolm a Cross-Country Rider from san diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 1999

Strengths:
Geometry
Spec.

Weaknesses:
Tires

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome. I've had it almost a month and the only thing I'd switch are the Racing Raptor tires and I'm stuck on Speedplay pedals. It's I just prefer full knobbies. This thing climbs like a tractor and decends well for a hard-tail. I think any part-time racer should seriously consider this bike.

GT Avalanche

Stock Supercaliber with XTR crank instead of Bontrager, and Speedplay Pedals.

Submitted by Brian a Cross-Country Rider from Orono, Maine

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Strengths:
You name it.
Marzoochi Bomber fork
Components
GENESIS GEOMETRY!!
Time Clipless Pedals

Weaknesses:
None yet

Bottom Line:
This bikes is the knarliest ride I have had in a long time. I moved up from a Ho-koo-ee-koo (w/o Genesis). I rode about 5 bikes before purchasing this one. I love the Genesis Geometry. I am 6'4 and this is the most comfortable ride I have ever had. This thing climbs like you wouldn't believes, and gets down anything faster than a $2 prostitute. The zoochi fork is the best fork I have ever ridden. Itliked it much better than either head shock or rock shock. It sucks bumps quick as you can hit them. If you are looking for an all out sweet ride, go Fisching with Genesis (any model) If you are tall, you will appreciate it.

any good XC single track

6 months

Trek
Cannondale F1000
GT Zaskar, Avalanche LE
Schwin Homegrown Comp

Zoochi bomber Z.2 atom bomb
XTR- RR rear der. (RR kicks ass), Brakes
XT- ft, hubs, levers, shifters, hubs
Mavic Wheelset
Bontrager seatpost

Submitted by Mr. Magoo a Cross-Country Rider from Acton Vale

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Strengths:
Just about everything
the wheels
the frame
the suspention

Weaknesses:
cheap stickers

Bottom Line:
This bike as held up to all my expectations. It`s all I could really ask for. Even the paint hasn`t started chipping, but I figure I`m just playing with time before it starts to. The Easton frame doesn`t kill me after long rides. The wheels are killer, and the Manitou up front has been free of any problems. In it`s price range there`s plenty of other excellent bikes, and the Supercaliber is worth a look, and a ride.
To Corey, in Kitchener. In Quebec Huffy`s are very rare, just like a good LBS that will sell Treks.

Bromont Mt. Park

6 months

F-3000
M4

Race Face cranks
Bontrager rise bar & grips

Submitted by Bob a Racer from Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 25, 1999

Strengths:
light, agile, unique geometry, wheelset

Weaknesses:
tires?

Bottom Line:
i was cautious testing this bike on a 15 mile trail. the genesis geometry felt strange at first, but i adapted. it really works (for me)! this bike flew through everything with poise and grace. the tires (racing raptors) made me a bit nervous, but handled very well. it climbs like a monkey, and the aluminum frame is not as harsh as i would expect.
a very fast, race ready bike right out of the box.

potowatomi

super-v, f-1000, obed, bontrager, etc

standard supercaliber: mostly xt, racelight wheelset, manitou sx-ti, 9-sp with xtr rear der.

Submitted by Corey a Racer from Kitchener

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Strengths:
wheels, fork

Weaknesses:
I would rather have a Huffy frame.

Bottom Line:
The Trek 8900 frame is far more superior, the attention to detail is unmatched. Genesis geometry is alright.

hydro cut waterloo

Trek 8900

stock

Submitted by sam thompson a Racer from rockford,il

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1999

Strengths:
wheels
weight
climbing

Weaknesses:
mrd lock-out on fork

Bottom Line:
the bike is great, i'm not sure if its the bike or just the low weight, but i feel that i can climb alot faster and in a bigger gear. i love to climb, and i rarely stand, so the lock out lever is a pain, i would rather be able to adjust my compression dampning. i have to take the fork apart to adjust it now. otherwise the fork is great. i love the grease ports.

gt zaskar

stock, except for king
headset

Submitted by jc a Cross-Country Rider from indy , indiana

Date Reviewed: May 4, 1999

Strengths:
wheels,frame,fork

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
great bike for the money! no upgrades needed

trek 8900

stock

Submitted by Carlos a Cross-Country Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: April 18, 1999

Strengths:
geometry, handling, CLIMBING

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
This year's model is a little heavier (seat tube diameter, disk brake mount in rear) but it's not noticeable. I actually prefer the Manitou fork to last year's SID- no air leaks to worry about. I also like the paint scheme better than the XTR-equipped Procaliber. This bike climbs like a goat.

Oletta River Park

3 months

'98 supercaliber

Submitted by Brian Thenhaus a Racer from Boulder CO

Date Reviewed: April 10, 1999

Strengths:
Bontrager/King wheelset
Easton Frame

Weaknesses:
XT Brakes
Bontrager stem/bar/post

Bottom Line:
The overall ride of this bike rocks. It handles like a dream and loves to catch air of rollers and rocks. The Manitou fork works well; if you don't blow the dampening. I blew the compression dampening on the second ride! opps! I also ditched the over designed XT brakes for a pair of XTR's.Bottom line: worth your bucks!