Gary Fisher 1999 Paragon Hardtail Bike

4.71/5 (89 Reviews)

1999 Gary Fisher Paragon, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by parafly a Racer from ILLINOIS USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2008

Strengths:    Good Value for the Dollar in 1999. Light and Loves to climb climb climb. I have a lightspeed and this bike is every bit as good plus its retro and old and people still like it

Weaknesses:    Front Shock is a bit to heavy and the wheels flex

Bottom Line:
This bike has served me well for a decade. I was going to sell her on ebay and said what the hell lets give it another go round. I used ebay to buy all the part and replace everything but the frame. She weights abour 22 pound give or take an ounce. I spent under 700 in this budget rebuild and it ride just as good as the new fishers. I recenly ran the expert class in a local event and came in 3rd in a field of 200 riders. When she finally breaks I will donate her organs to the next whip

Favorite Trail:   ANY THING IN THE WEST

Purchased At:   Macomb Fitness

Similar Products Used:   SC Blur and Lightspeed Frames

Bike Setup:   Complete Rebuild. Bontrager Race Lite Disc with tubless pythons. Sram x.9 front and rear der and shifters. Easton Monkey Light Carbon low riser bar and stem. Thompos Seat Post Sette Carbon Seat, SID TEAM fork. XT Cassestte, SRAM PG 991 Chain. Avid Juicy 7 Brakes, and XTR Hollow Tech Crank. Yette Grips

Submitted by Marion a Racer from Quickborn, Gernany

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2006

Strengths:    the bike is very versatile and regarding the age it is extremely lightweight

Weaknesses:    Painting - I lost a lot of varnish using the high-pressure cleaner. Ok, I shouldn't have cleaned the bike with high pressure.

Bottom Line:
The bike fits like custom-made. I feel absolutely comfortable with it and just bought another Gary Fisher bike, this time a Big Sur.

Purchased At:   Sprint Fahrraeder, Kiel

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Big Sur 1997

Submitted by Tom Braun a Cross Country Rider from Buffalo, NY, United States

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Strengths:    The Frame, The Fork, Seat, Headset

Weaknesses:    Heavy Fork, Bad Wheeels

Bottom Line:
I will never get rid of this bike, i love it...i grew up with it...i just want to buy a new fork, and outfit some disk brakes and ill ride it untill it brakes...so comfortable and roomy with its long top tube, but not too long...just right...michelen wild gripper comp s tires are pretty good too, i am sooo glad i bought this bike 7 years ago

Favorite Trail:   HUNTERS CREEK

Purchased At:   Precision Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   GT zaskar le, trek 8000, cannondale R2000si(2002)

Bike Setup:   Still Have the JUDY XC, i rebuild it every year, but is starting to suck...Performance is excellent, but always have hated having such a heavy fork...wtb powerbeam rims with xtr hubs have both been tacoed, borrowing some rolfs, also have mavic crosslinks, xt crank, xtr rd, xt shift/lever combo, thompson seat post, lx fd, avid v-brakes with xtr cartridge pads, Flak jacket cables,

Submitted by Tom Johnson a Cross Country Rider from LA, California, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2005

Strengths:    This bike's strength is just about everything. The rear derailleurs are great (XT) and the front are so so. The weight is great. Very, Very agile. I guess the genesis does work. Also, the frame is the sturdiest i have ever seen. The paint job isn't so bad either. i guess it is a bit bright but i have been getting compliments. Speed

Weaknesses:    The only thing i found were the brakes since the sqealed a little bit but other than that, nothing.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great. It's got handling like no other. this is probably the best hardtail of 99. This is a good bike for bikers that ride a lot! this bike can take all the beating. This bike is perfect for cross country for it's agility and speed. This bike can take a beating. If you are however, just into recreation, then don't buy a brand new one, it's a bit overpriced. But if you're going to use it a lot, it is definately worth the money. This is a great bike.

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000

Submitted by Cory Jackson a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    light, good components, decent fork, Genisis geometry, sweet paint job, climbs well

Weaknesses:    became discontinued

Bottom Line:
If you are a racer or want to start racing on a hardtail, this bikes for you. If your a recreational rider I probaly wouldn't buy it for more than $500 canadain because it will be used, but that's just my opinion. I love this bike for going up hills and through singletrack. Whenever I saw a hill on my old bike I groaned and would just make it over the top. On this bike hills aren't a problem anymore, it's that good. It's a blast to use, so if you see one for sale get it.

Favorite Trail:   Shuniah

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Tarantula, Oryx T-Line 125

Bike Setup:   specialized geometry seat, yeti hardcore grips, topeak fender, azonic riser bar

Submitted by Michael Chiapputo a Cross Country Rider from Jax,. FL

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Strengths:    Frame geometry, durability & quality!

Weaknesses:    Tires & pedals. The pedals never even made it onto the bike (straight to the tool box as spare parts). I still have the original tires hanging in the garage.

Bottom Line:
Great bike that I will hang on to as long as possible! If you can pick 1 up used then grab it! Great bike no matter what your riding level! Besides...1999 was 1 of the few years that the GF frame colors did not "suck".

Purchased At:   1,000.00

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Killer V, Fisher Mt Tam, Fisher Procaliber

Bike Setup:   Nothing stock except the BB, fork, F Derailer & seatpost...Race Face Next LP crank, Race face headset, XTR shifter pod combo, XTR cables, XTR R Derailer, XTR chain, XTR V Brakes, Easton Monkey Lite riser bar, Easton stem, Spinergy SPOX wheelset, XT cassette, Time ATAC pedals, Shimano Flight Deck, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires, Selle San Marco saddle

Submitted by trev a Weekend Warrior from Fukuoka, Japan

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, climbs extremely well, rides well for a hardtail, very agile, descends ok

Weaknesses:    Paint falls off, overpriced if you buy new, not fun down stairs

Bottom Line:
Excellent cross country or trailbike. Climbs very well, and nice through technical sections. I got this from a friend who swapped for a dual suspension bike. He stripped all the good bits from the Fisher. The old Manitou forks were shot, so I swapped the lightweight forks and other bits from my Stumpjumper onto this. I use this for long rides with lots of climbing and smoother surfaces, and the rebuilt Stumpjumper for rougher courses. I've been through a lot of different bikes (I repair and rebuild a lot for friends) and this is easily the nicest hardtail I've ridden. Not impressed with the paint, and I think it's overpriced to buy new, but can't fault the performance.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Kusenbu, Kyushu, Japan

Purchased At:   swapped with friend

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX840, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, plus loads of other hardtails of varying brands and quality

Bike Setup:   RS Taichi forks (not Rockshox, but a Japanese brand), Shimano LX 9 speed drivetrain, wide riser bars, IRC Backcountry 2.25 tyres, XT brakes

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff frame, this bike is fast and light, light weight wheel set and genisis geometry fits my style of riding great

Weaknesses:    the cockpit was a little to cross country so i ditched the bar ends and flat bar for a crowbar, rims are good and light but i have bent them and dented them quite a few times, the stock braks were a little weak so i upped them to the arch rivals

Bottom Line:
great bike for a decent price..i paid 1900 plus the upgrades canadian
if you like twisty singletrack or racing its great
if you want something more sturdy for freeriding get something beefier

Favorite Trail:   shuniuh

Purchased At:   cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   gt, schwinn

Bike Setup:   changed flat bar to a crowbar, changed brakes to avid arch rival and put on michelin wildgrippers

Submitted by JR Schultz a Weekend Warrior from Milaca

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    Easton aluminum frame rocks! really nice fork - Rock Shox Judy XC, XT derailleur, bontrager race wheelset, sweet paint job(red > black > yellow) the one they show on this site

Weaknesses:    lx cranks. broke some teeth off of the middle ring. stock brake pads squealed horribly. uh, other than that, nothing else. oh yeah, the paint chips on the rear triangle really easy, and strap type bike racks are bad news for the decals.

Bottom Line:
this bike rules. i raced it for almost three years and had no problems with it. it is a really stiff ride, but its a really stiff aluminum frame. it tracks really well, and feels really nice in the air. it is sold as a professional level xc race bike(or was when i bought it, '99) but i've bashed it way hard dropping off of things and crashing. it is one tough unit. makes for a perfect trail bike, i think. the paint job looks really nice. the colors were what pulled me toward the bike at the shop in the first place. i give it five flamin' chilis. yeah.

Favorite Trail:   the new trails at milaca

Similar Products Used:   specialized rockhopper? schwinn

Bike Setup:   riser bar, rock shox suspension seatpost, tooth fairy engagement ring(bash ring) all-weather brake pads

Submitted by Steven from Easthampton Ma. USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Strengths:    speed, weight, comfort and the confidance the bike gives to tackle obstacles

Weaknesses:    derailers, seat can get harsh after longer rides

Bottom Line:
after a longhard ride and my legs are burning, when i put this bike down, the firstthing i think of is lets go once more around the block, or down the trail. I never get sick of this bike and it keeps me wanting to ride frequently. I will be changing tires and tubes to shave some weight in the future as well as upgrade probably my brakes and derailers. beyond that i love this bike, it gives me confidance riding and makes me want to go fast all the time.

Purchased At:   Competitive Edge in Holyoke Ma

Similar Products Used:   treks, jamis, dont remember the models

Bike Setup:   Stock, will be upgrading over time

Submitted by Dawn Nedohin-Macek a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Strengths:    Fits like a glove!
Great handling, light as a feather.
Red and white paint - beautiful.
Comfy women's specific seat.
Small - XS size fits small riders.

Weaknesses:    Decals tend to peel off.
Manitou SX-R fork (would have liked a Rock Shox).

Bottom Line:
I LOVE this bike! It handles like a dream, just point and go.
I really love the fact that it fits me (I'm 4'11") perfectly.
Gary Fisher did a great thing when he made a women's specific bike. It's not just smaller, it actually has different geometry. I had a hard time finding a high-end bike small enough, until I found the Paragon.
With my wheel set it just flies.
I'd recommend upgrading the wheel set, as the Bontranger Superstock is actually quite heavy. I got the whole bike < 23lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Birch Hill

Purchased At:   Olympia

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000 WSD
Schwinn Moab

Bike Setup:   Swapped out wheelset for Ringle hubs and Mavic 517 rims.
Shimano M-545 pedals.
Bongranger 40g bar ends.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Roseville, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Strengths:    -Climbs well
-Quick
-Stiff, light frame
-Judy Race fork
-Cool paint job (White and Orange)

Weaknesses:    -A few low grade components (headset, BB, front derailleur)

Bottom Line:
This is a great all around bike. Other than routine maintenance and cleaning, this baby hasn't needed any special attention. I ride pretty hard about 2 days out of the week. It has a awesome paint job (white w/ orange stripes) and have yet to see one alike. I am very happy with this rig and would recommend it to anyone in the market for a light, strong aluminum hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Mickey Mouse Trail

Similar Products Used:   -aluminum hardtails

Bike Setup:   -Stock w/ minor additions (tires, saddle, brake boosters)
-Soon to upgrade to a Chris King headset and Race Face BB

Submitted by edward lim a Weekend Warrior from Kuala Lumpur

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Strengths:    Geometry
Bar Ends
Makes you go look for mountains - makes climbing enjoyable

Weaknesses:    Paint work - it PEELS at the slightest touch.
chain-sucks, maybe due to the LX cranks - 9 speed?
BECAREFUL when tightening the front derailleur (?), it may dent the seat tube - its quite weak/soft there.

Bottom Line:
I love my paragon. It is a good bike and as for as I can tell - I think the genesis thing does work. My previous bike was a no-namer (by world standard) and I remember when I was on it every hill was a torture and I really enjoyed the downhills more. But with the Paragon, the opposite seems to happen...I love the uphills now. And yes, the paint peels like oranges. Lucky its aluminium underneath it orelse I would be spending all my free time touching it up to avoid rust. Oh-yeah, it does chain suck though. And its quite bad...I haven't resolved that yet...maybe its the 9 speed. I am giving it 5 stars because I always enjoy the ride on the paragon.

Favorite Trail:   Sungei Buaya & FRIM

Purchased At:   KSH

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2000

Strengths:    EASTON tubes at this price? Yeah, it was marked down from $1200, and yeah, it's a 99 leftover, but c'mon! Shifts like a dream, climbs like a goat smoking rock.

Weaknesses:    When I find one I'll let you know.

Bottom Line:
If you can find a 99 model, RUN, don't walk, to the dealer and buy it. The 99 is better than the 2000 or 2001 due to the EASTON tubing, which isn't used in the others. This mount climbs, accelerates, and handles like a dream. Don't buy any other hardtail without riding this bike first.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Bike Setup:   Stock. LX/XT mix, Judy XC, Velociraptor tires...

Submitted by Paul a Racer from Waubaushene, Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff/light frame, pretty good component spec, plush fork, light wheels

Weaknesses:    mainly lx components when bought stock, okay brakes (I added a brake booster to the front)

Bottom Line:
I have found it to be a very good bike for even the intermediate or sport class racer. I've taken it through some of the toughest trails I know of and it is still working like new. Other then derailleur adjustments and I rebuilt my fork I have had to do no maintenance on my bike. I've also taken my bike dirt jumping and although the wheels may seem like their strictly for cross country I have proved otherwise. This bike would make a great dual slalom bike but in that case I would change the wheels.

Favorite Trail:   serious