Gary Fisher 1999 Big Sur Hardtail Bike

4.6/5 (118 Reviews)

Gary Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by Tyler K. a Cross Country Rider from Wyckoff, NJ

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    Great bike, strong, lightweight, good shoxs.

Weaknesses:    bad components.

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike for beginning riders. I would recommend this bike to any one. And for 60 bucks I LOVE IT!
OVERALL
GET ONE!!!

Favorite Trail:   Cannonball Trail

Purchased At:   Garage Sale

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock

Submitted by John Smith a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    Good value, will either love or hate frame geometry, weight, reliable. Traction and especially when climbing.

Weaknesses:    Will either love or hate frame geometry, a little more travel would have been nice, not the most comfortable seat

Bottom Line:
Ride what it is made for, fast single track, and you should have no problem. I Don't maintain it properly and have had no serious problems. Forks do their job, traction and climbing is the real strength of this bike, because of geometry. However, don't buy this bike if you like real downhilling, the geometry of the frame keeps your weight far back, but high on the bike. I love this bike as it fits my riding style. As a general peice of advice: find your particular riding style and find a bike that favours this style.

Favorite Trail:   Kanata

Similar Products Used:   Tried out many hard tails in same price range, including specialized, gt, cannon, rocky mountian

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for new seat and tires (obviously, the bike is nearly 6 years old).

Submitted by Thomas Toher a Cross Country Rider from Schenectady,NY, USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Strengths:    Great style, strong frame, lightweight, a great bike

Weaknesses:    The Hayes brakes I have found to be problemsone, but really love them

Bottom Line:
U won't be sorry

Favorite Trail:   LIttle falls Mountain

Purchased At:   Downtube

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Alamo, CA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Strengths:    Strong frame, light enough at price. Genesis geometry works for me. At the price I paid (w/o wheelset, suspension fork and headset, but with full XT and Avid Arch Rival brakes + some other nice upgrades), I've got about $500 into the bike and couldn't be happier. The Big Sur, as others have said, climbs very well. Downhill stability is good. Steering is nice compromise. I really like the standard fit Velociraptors tires.
All around, about the nicest bike available at the $1000 price point (MSRP).

Weaknesses:    Paint (acid green) not only chips, but is butt ugly, IMHO, kind of '70s. The bike is hard to build light, kind of a catch-22 as the bike warrants upgrades because it is so sweet, but going overboard makes no sense because you still end up with a 25lbs+ hardtail bike...

Bottom Line:
If you can live with a 26-27 lbs. hardtail, you can't do any better at this price level!

Favorite Trail:   I've never met a trail I didn't like

Purchased At:   Kid who decided he wanted to race BMX

Similar Products Used:   GT, Klein, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Avid Arch Rival 50 brakes, Titec bar and stem, Cane Creek S2 headset, Mavic X517 w/XT hubs, Serfas Cosmos seat, WTB Velociraptor tires, Psylo XC suspension fork

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2002

Strengths:    Extremely strong frame, but light also.
Good Judy XC forks
Overall bike works really well and is very well built with quality components.

Weaknesses:    Bent the seat rails on a jump the first ride (I am 85kg)
Bent the seatpost badly - now replaced with stronger one
Front derailler could be better
Front hub needs replacing - can't buy new cones for Bontrager hubs so whole hub must be junked

Bottom Line:
This is a great XC bike and I have been riding it hard since I bought it with great reliability. I am even doing some freeride type stuff on it now and although the geometry is not perfect for it, it still handles the jumps/drops with ease (if a little bit stiffly in the rear end). It is great for climbing. The long wheelbase means it doesn't handle tight corners as well as some shorter bikes. Definitely worth the money.

Similar Products Used:   All the similar spec/price bikes at the time ... Giant, Kona, Jamis, Specialised, etc, etc.

Bike Setup:   As well as replacing the few bits which bent/broke, I have fitted a Titec riser bar, Tioga Factory DH 2.3's (just fit - and are really good), and DH platform pedals.

Submitted by Chase S a Cross Country Rider from Spooner

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Strengths:    Strong on the Climbs, Great all around bike

Weaknesses:    paint chips, Seat is a rock, Too many Stickers; it almost looks better where the paint is Chipping

Bottom Line:
cool bike for the begining racer

Favorite Trail:   woodruff's

Purchased At:   Riverbrook Bike and Ski

Similar Products Used:   hookooekoo

Bike Setup:   completely stock

Submitted by javier a Racer from calexico

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Strengths:    - Geometry
- Value (more bang for your buck)
- Wheels
- Black paint

Weaknesses:    - Paint cheaps easily
- Too much GARY FISHER all over the frame
- Heavy

Bottom Line:
overall the bike kicks ass with its genesis geometry. climbing just feels so much easier and descending is a lot more stable than with other bikes. cornoring in single track is pretty good too. unfortuneatly the paint job sucks. after a crash, there where several spots that chipped, and it just kept on getting worse. that really sucked!! after a few crashes and several trips, the frame appeared to be much older than it really was.

Purchased At:   formerly bike usa (now performance)

Similar Products Used:   OPB, mongoose, Trek, cannondale, etc..etc..etc.

Bike Setup:   gt hubs laced to mavic 517, xt brakes, lx grouppo

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Thunder Bay

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    Killer bike, had TONS of great rides with it, a few bad crashes..

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses.. I had a few problems with some wierd squeaking when it shifted.. was unable to get rid of that..

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is, the gary was stolen at the end of august and I cried girlishly for two weeks. I ended up buying a new Devinci Chili Pepper shortly thereafter (after the crying had stopped). Don't let strangers test your bike out.. unless you have a loaded gun handy (or something dangerous). But rest assured fellow rider, I'll find that mofo, and I'll bike him good.. oohhh I'll bike him good, with my new DeVinci.. his ass is grass. oh yeah, GREAT bike go buy one!

Favorite Trail:   shuniah mines singletrack

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   DeVinci Chili Pepper

Bike Setup:   Stock set up, wtb components, lx-xt

Submitted by Curtis burns a Weekend Warrior from canada ont. toronto

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Strengths:    A nice speedy bike, comfortable seat, gives a smooth ride, this bike is totally upgradable but there is no need for too many upgrades. Takes jumps great, good thing if u like jumps ( who doesn't? )

Weaknesses:    no rear shocks

Bottom Line:
Garry Fisher did a great job making this bike, I hope anyone out there looking for a inexpensive mountain bike with a great ride ( and is in the ages of 13-40) should seriosly consider this bike.

Favorite Trail:   any challenging ones

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher "Wahoo", Kona "cinder cone"

Bike Setup:   judy xc rox shox, Bontrager handle bars, possible 3 water bottle mounts, front and rear Shimano Deore derailleurs, Shimano brakes.

Submitted by Sean Toole a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2001

Strengths:    I am writing this view on how I feel about the Geometry of the bike mostly because my Big Sur is older then a 1999. The Bike is the same as mine with upgrade componets.
Love the Geometry, Great for winding in and out of trees on Florida trails. For the price I paid for a bike worth around $900, I am pretty happy with my Big Sur. I have been riding this bike for six years now and have not had too many problems. I have not had any paint come off other then where I accidentally scratched the frame with something, but who really cares, its a mountain bike not a car.... you expect this sort of thing to happen when you are riding in the woods.

Weaknesses:    None significant, The Seat post needs to be tight.

Bottom Line:
I would pay full price for this bike knowing what I know about it.

Favorite Trail:   Little Big Econ Forest (Snow Hill)

Purchased At:   Used from a good friend

Similar Products Used:   Trek,

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock, Replaced the pedals (broke them, plastic) with some clipless pedals. Replaced the skinny, hard road bike seat with something more fit for a mountain bike.

Submitted by Sean Toole a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2001

Weaknesses:    None significant, The Seat post needs to be tight.

Bottom Line:
I would pay full price for this bike knowing what I know about it.

Favorite Trail:   Little Big Econ Forest (Snow Hill)

Purchased At:   Used from a good friend

Similar Products Used:   Trek,

Submitted by Vin Rom a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Strengths:    1. GEOMETRY
2. Wheelset
3. VERY Strong setup
4. Fun bike

Weaknesses:    1. Pedals are crap
2. Seat is terrible
3. Grips slip around bar.
4. Seat post will NOT stay in the same place.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the best I've ridden so far. The only mechanical problems I've had have been normal drivetrain bullsh*t and a blown oil cartridge in the shock. Realize that this is after about 3000 miles of riding and the oil cartridge busted after several hard core mountain trails. I really dig this bike and have no thoughts of replacing it anytime soon. RIDE ONE.

Favorite Trail:   Continental Divide

Purchased At:   private

Similar Products Used:   Marin ?
NorthStar Estrella
GT Avalanche

Bike Setup:   Time ATAC pedals are the only thing I've changed, but the seat is finally going to die over the next few months.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Strengths:    The name and the frame for sure.

Weaknesses:    None cause i still have the bike.

Bottom Line:
I couldn't of bought a better bike. I have been thinking of getting a f/s frame but i just can't part with the Big Sur. Fisher still hasn't been able to come out with a better color then the Acid Green with the Trible graphics....hint hint Gary if you happen to read this. Well there are alot of words to describe this bike and the only one i can think of right now is BADASS!!

Favorite Trail:   Cleburne State Park

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Why use the rest when your riding the best!

Bike Setup:   Judy XC, Full XT with XT Hollowtech Cranks, XTR on Red Mavic 517's, Shimano 545 pedals, and Serfas seat. Shifters, stem, seatpost, and seat collar are stock.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Strengths:    The name and the frame for sure.

Weaknesses:    None cause i still have the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Cleburne State Park

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Why use the rest when your riding the best!

Submitted by Ron Sellers from Dayton, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Strengths:    The Gary Fisher name and decent components for the price is what attracted me. Geometry is fantastic. It is very quick and nimble on single tracks, an awesome climber and it is simply killer on the downhill sections.

Weaknesses:    Junk Seat, Heavy WTB Velociraptors, Icon Pedals don't have any float.

Bottom Line:
I started riding on other peoples bikes but they got tired of me crashing them. This is my first real mountain bike and I have crashed it hard several times. Once I even broke my helment. (Bell - Good Stuff) This bike takes a beating and keeps on flying through thick and thin. Durable and reliable with reasonable upkeep. This is a great bike for the money. I even had two friends (beginners) buy the 2001 Big Sur's because for the money it is the best mix of components out there. Bang for you Buck rating is 5 chili's.

Favorite Trail:   Ceasars Creek

Purchased At:   Cycle Sport Cincinnatti

Similar Products Used:   OPB - Other Peoples Bikes - This is my first serious MTB purchase and I am quite happy.

Bike Setup:   (Red)Panaracer Fire XC Pro's, Shimano 747 Pedals, Tamer Shock post. I Want to upgrade to XT components, CrossMax Wheels, and RockShox SID Race or SL shock.

1999 Big Sur

Hey, newb here.. need advice.. What is a "good deal" on a 1999 big sur in "new condition?" 200/300/400/500? thanks! sokRead More »

need some thoughts on a 1999 Big Sur

I found a 1999 Big Sur that is a puff. Still has the reflectors and the little plastic thing behind the rear gears. What do you guys think it would be worth? I have a 2002 sugar and my buddy had a Mt. Tam that I loved and this thing feels just like the Mt. Tam. I would love to pick it up, but I don' ... Read More »