Diamondback 2001 Topanga Comp Hardtail Bike

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by DJ a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Strengths:    Amazing tires (kenda klawz), deore shifters, light frame,

Weaknesses:    suspension blows, the seat comes loose, get new pedals

Bottom Line:
Bottom line...the bike is really really good deal for the price. Even not for the price its a good bike. My only beef with this bike is that the seat comes loose after a good thrashing. It makes this incredibly annoying loud grinding/squeak but it can be cured with some allen wrench tourque.

second beef is that the suspension fork is a peice. The thing has NO adjustmenbt possiblilities and don't look at it for some good chatter bump action. Can't handle it. The screw adjuter thingies on top of the fork are nearly impossible to turn if you still want to keep youre fingers. Tip: use pliers. But i guess it works for a beginner.

I also didn't like the pedals but thats just personal preferance. I got some clipless instead cuz the stock pedals got bashed through kingdom come .

BUT...the tires are incredible. They can handle any terrain with ease and don't suddenly slip out like some do. YOu can feel everything the tire is about to do.

The drivetrain is unbraekable. I took the thing on the beach and left with most of the beach in my chain but rode 5 miles with it anyway and nothing happened to it. Unbreakable.

Rims are solid stuff. You ever flipped a 10 pound rock into the rim wall and 25mph? My last bike's rims cracked straight through from that. These rims left a with a small scratch.

I do fast downhills and long climbs, technical stuff, anything i can throw at myself. This bike does it all. Get it.

Favorite Trail:   local quarry/bear brook state park

Similar Products Used:   yukon

Bike Setup:   stock except for manitou mars and shimano 424 pedals

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Tolland CT

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2002

Strengths:    Good price, decent suspension fork, deore shifters

Weaknesses:    Stupid seat comes loose after a good ride and it makes a ton of noise but can be fixed in a second with a couple twists of the allen wrench. I guess they could've put a better fork on...maybe something like phylos ( did I spell that right?)

Bottom Line:
Cool bike. I take this thing on anything I can find and it does well, even in the extremely techical areas (I LOVE tech rides) but I recomd a pair of clipless pedals for this thing cuz the stock pedals get mushed up pretty bad when you start bashing the pedals on rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Catamount Hill in NH

Purchased At:   Mountain City Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon

Submitted by Marc Chabot a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2002

Strengths:    Great price, Magnum fork, Deore

Weaknesses:    I would've liked bar ends, but after market (Diamondback evn!) were easily found and added...

Bottom Line:
Well, I tried about 25-30 bikes. Shopped around and for the price, I couldn't have done better than the Topanga Comp. Even some of the closeouts I tried, which were originally priced much more buit were now in the same price rang, didn't feel as god. I'm very happy with my purchase!

This is a great bike for people on a budget (or who wouldn't be able to justify spending $1000 on a bike for various reasons...) I'm a clydesdale (6', 235lbs) and this bike has withstood some prety hairy rides.

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   Midtown Sports

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attitude comp
Couple of Cannondales
A bunch of others too numerous to recall

Submitted by gage a Cross Country Rider from manitoba

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Strengths:    here is the thing.
i like this bike-it is my first foray into suspension rides. i have ridden a nil-suspension mb for almost a decade with no complaints. i am however getting older. the topanga comp(now my mistress)has been an amazing leap up in ride enjoyment. 90% of my comute is riverbank trail and this bike has performed admirably(i am currantley hooked up to a trainer this winter for the first time ever.)

Weaknesses:    seat post comes loose(makes noise) after big trails.

Bottom Line:
you cannot get a better(in my humble opinion)entry level mb with these components anywwhere else.
by the way, i have lost 47 lbs since i have started riding this great bike

Favorite Trail:   churchill drive

Purchased At:   lifesport cycle and ski

Similar Products Used:   none-the test ride and yellow paint job were too good

Bike Setup:   magnum manitou front suspension-stock set-up everything else

Submitted by Kevin Pierce from Auburn, WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Strengths:    Just about everything!!

Weaknesses:    The seat comes loose.

Bottom Line:
I just started biking this year so I don't know a heck of a lot about bikes but from what I've done so far this bike kicks as*. You won't find it as cheap as I did because my girlfriend works at G.I. Joe's and Pro Formed it. I have heard of people getting it for around $450 though and it's worth every penny. All I can say is try it out and see for yourself.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis River Trail

Purchased At:   G.I. Joe's

Similar Products Used:   NA

Submitted by Ken Ferraro a Cross Country Rider from Wethersfield Ct. USofA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Strengths:    Great frame,Geometry,Derailleurs,Cranks(Five Ds are as good as LX)Manitou Magnum is better than Rock Shi* Jett,The new metalic silver paint looks much better than the dumb ass orange,Comes with Geax Sedona tires in stead of Kenda Klaws

Weaknesses:    Seat,High rise stem,Brake levers,Bottom braket,

Bottom Line:
Thi bike is the best deal at 500 clams.You can spend more but you would just be getting hosed.Put $200 into this bike and you have a ride every bit as good as something that goes for a Grand.I am a large fellow (6 feet 220lbs)and this thing takes anything I can do to it.I had up graded from the regular Topanga to the XTS-1 FS/XC.I had liked the first Topanga so much I brought back the XTS and got the Topanga Comp and am in Love all over again.I highly recomend thi bike IT ROCKS

Favorite Trail:   Hartford Resivior