Diamondback 2000 Response Hardtail Bike

4.1/5 (20 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 281-R fork

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Strengths:    Fast, light, nice looking, comfortable

Weaknesses:    terrible components, rear derailer (I know theres a u in there somewhere) was destroyed miles away from home or trail, not to expensive to fix

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have owned, not bad except for some mechanical problems. Ever since it was fixed, No problems have occured yet

Favorite Trail:   Fomba

Purchased At:   Ace Hardware

Similar Products Used:   Roadmaster Mt. Sport, Fuji Nevada

Bike Setup:   24 speed hard tail

Submitted by bill white a Cross Country Rider from bourbonnais, IL, kankakee

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    Strong rims for the price. Good overall value for the price.
descent part spec for the price

Weaknesses:    seat, front fork bottoms out (what do you ecpect out of a bike in this price range though).

Bottom Line:
This bike is a good investment for someone who is looking to try mountain biking. It can handle mild to moderate off road use, and has rims that will not need to be trued very often. However, if you are looking to get into serious off road riding, it will only last so long. For the money, it is a good value

Favorite Trail:   Chubb trail St. Louis

Similar Products Used:   GT aggressor

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by al kaholic a Weekend Warrior from sale creek, tn

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Strengths:    ummmm....thinking....lets just say... it rolls???

Weaknesses:    where do I begin??

Bottom Line:
If you are considering buying this bike, why don't you just go to WalMart and save yourself a couple of bucks?? For this price range you may as well buy a rigid fork instead of a "suspension" fork. If you are serious about riding, save your money and buy a hardtail in the $600-700 range. We all know its all about the rider and not the gear, but it sure sucks when a good rider is held back because of crappy gear. My reccomendation is a Mongoose black diamond series- either the hard luck or the deuce. For the price range, you can't go wrong with either of those bikes. So there you go Hue Jass.

Purchased At:   dick's

Similar Products Used:   mongoose hard luck

Submitted by hue jass a Cross Country Rider from columbia tn usa

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Strengths:    it is fast light sort of strong but good for money
very fast i can smoke anybody in neighborhood notice i am 13
and the funnest part is running from cops let me tell u take the nature trail your out of there its easy

Weaknesses:    oh let me tell u what i broke some things ive broke the hanger 4 TIMES bent the back rim got me some double walls ive also bent the front rim my gears screw up a lot off 3 foot drop offs and steps and picnic tables i also broke the pedals doing a drop off probly only like 2 feet also wore out bottom bracket got me an XT

Bottom Line:
buy the bike its worth the money not from keith he is evil especially dont buy pedals from the wheel FRANKLIN BICYCLE COMPANY all the way anyways buy the bike get u some water bottle holders go head and buy some hangers in advance get u a shock get u a thomson seatpost youll be hooked up
also learn how to run from police
in other words BUY THIS BIKE it kicks whoha
take it from stan the man burns
also somebody reply to this whats the best bike to buy for around 6 or 7 hundred im looking at specialized rockhoppers

Favorite Trail:   chickasaw

Purchased At:   the wheel keith is evil

Similar Products Used:   i have a haro group 1 and i can kick your booty

Bike Setup:   i got me a frame a derailler and so forth

Submitted by Joe Aguilar a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Strengths:    Quality frame; good mix of shimano components for the price I paid; nice to look at

Weaknesses:    Nothing really stands out, maybe the fork could be upgraded.

Bottom Line:
This has been a great bike to own. For my first bike, I looked to get into the sport without a huge investment up front. I have not been disappointed by the Response Sport. I have been able to keep up with friends out on the trail who have more expensive bikes, without missing a beat. The shimano components perform very smoothly and have required no major adjustments even though they are not Shimano's top of the line. I haven't had any problems with this bike at all. It has always delivered whenever I wanted it to. I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants to get into the sport, without having to take a second mortgage to pay for it. The frame is good enough to upgrade to higher end components if you want to. If you are thinking about buying this bike you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Bryan

Purchased At:   Action Bikes

Similar Products Used:   cheap department store bikes

Bike Setup:   stock, except I upgraded the rear derailleur to Shimano XT

Submitted by Courtland Hathaway a Cross Country Rider from Syracuse, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Strengths:    Nice frame, drivetrain, looks cool, Good Price.

Weaknesses:    THE FORK!! *WARNING* IF YOU CONSIDER BUYING THIS BIKE BUY IT! HOWEVER BE PREPARED TO BUY A NEW FORK, FORK IS RIGID AND MAY CAUSE SERIOUS DISAPPOINTMENT AND BROKEN OR HURT WRISTS!THE FORK LOOKS LIKE IT HAS SUSPENSION, BUT IT IS A WANNABE!HAS STICTION LIKE NEVER BEFORE SEEN ON THE RARE OCCASION THAT IT DOES COMPRESS!Also the handle bar is a little cruiser like, I replaced it with a Syncros Riser. Brakes could be upgraded but not a biggy. Seat hurts and irritates my well....you know.

Bottom Line:
The bike is nice and for a good price you get some nice stuff. GET A NEW FORK!!! I can't wait to get some money to upgrade to Manitou or Rock Shox!! If you think at first that the fork needs to be broken in, it is what you call a never break-inable-fork*AKA*RIGID! Buy the bike and get a new fork and handlebar, and you will be pleased. Upgrade the brakes if you want, but they work okay.If you think at first that the fork needs to be broken in, it is what you call a never break-inable-fork*AKA*RIGID! The bike is for mild XC when it has a new fork.

Favorite Trail:   Highland Forest

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6000, MGX Gay Crap, K2 Razorback Hardtail(OWNS THE FIELD!!)Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Trek 6500.

Bike Setup:   Stock Drivetrain, Syncros Riser Bar, RST 281r P.O.S. Worse than Rigid fork thing.

Submitted by eric lanstrum a Weekend Warrior from willoughby oh,stationed in germany

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    nice ride,good gear ratio

Weaknesses:    lower crank bearings went bad in less then 20 rides ,might be do to improper assemby at manufacturer,no way of contacting from abraud,peddles are flimsy,replaced after 2 rides

Bottom Line:
customer service from germany much to be desired,bike baught at a us store, affes ,armed forces dealer,mechcanics
have little knoledge,buy from state side dealer next

Similar Products Used:   hm

Bike Setup:   set up is good,handle bars are a little low,fixed by extensions

Submitted by David Haney a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Strengths:    It's light and transfers power superbly!

Weaknesses:    Wheels and Saddle

Bottom Line:
Pound for pound the most bang for your buck. The frame is the same as the Topanga Comp (a $600.00 bike). It is priced lower because mid line of Shimano acessories attached. (Shimano makes quality stuff!) Test drive this bike and shop
you will find that this bike ride like bikes that cost hunderds of dollars more!

Favorite Trail:   Sandia's open space

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   1997 Diamondback Sorento SE

Bike Setup:   It's mixed, Front de-railer, V-Breake/EZ-Fire shifters (silver) and cranks set are Acera, rear derailer is Alivio along with the cassette sprokets, Weinmann ZAC 19 DBL wall rims, no stamp on the hubs, front or rear? (Weinmann?)

Submitted by Brian Bolden a Weekend Warrior from Abbotsford B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Strengths:    Strong light frame at a very reasonable price. A good base for upgrades.

Weaknesses:    Components are not of the best quality. I have made many upgrades, some for personal reasons and some out of necessity. I have had to replace the seatpost as the top bracket bent and would not hold the seat, the bottom bracket had to be replaced as it began to "slop" around, and the rear cassette needs to be replaced. It is important to keep in mind that I ride everyday, and have a fair amount of miles on the bike. I am also heavy so things are going to bend and break.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to a review I gave below. I still love this bike, and it is continually getting better as I upgrade it. I am around 215 lbs and ride this bike fairly hard. The frame is very strong. Most of the upgrades I have performed are out of personal preference to get the bike better suited to the type of riding I do. I have more upgrades planned such as new cranks, new rear cassette, and disk brakes. This is a great bike with ok components at a very good price. I purchased it at first knowing that I would upgrade components. At the time this was the bike that I could afford, and after the upgrades it is becoming the bike that I would have purchased if I had more money at that time.

Favorite Trail:   Any at Ledgeview and Delta watershed

Purchased At:   Caps Bikes

Bike Setup:   Upgrades include: Selle Italia Nitrox seat, Kalloy seatpost, Fishbone Platform pedals, Tranz x Riser bar, short Axiom stem with 2 1/2" rise, Rockshox Judy XC forks with 100mm travel, Shimano LX bottom Bracket.

Submitted by Morpheus a Racer from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2000

Strengths:    The DB Response is an excellent value for the money. Light, tough and nimble it rides very well and is a good platform for customized upgrades. I reccomend changing the stock seat out in favor of something more ergonomic and anatomically friendly; and possibly adding a good suspension seatpost as well. A better, stronger front shock is also a wise idea if any serious off-road riding is anticipated.

Weaknesses:    Replace the stock seat and pedals first, then add a suspension seat post and heavier duty front suspension.

Bottom Line:
The DB Response is a great mountain bike all-in-all. You can pay more but you won't get a much better bike. My advice is to find a good deal on a DB Response and then customize it to suit your needs. So far I have averaged 90+ miles per week (merciless, wicked miles) for the last three months on my Response and it has held up very well.

However, make sure your personal bike guru knows his stuff before you trust your bike to him. An experienced bicycle repair/maintance person can make all the difference in the world between good, safe riding and having a lame (and possibly dangerous) bike. Caveat cyclist: If your bike isn't tuned well, it won't ride worth a damn - regardless how much you paid for it.

The bottom line is that a DB Response is a fine bike for anyone interested in a very well built mountain bike that rides great and is easily upgraded. The DB Response can certainly be made into a competition machine, if the rider is up for it.

Anyway, if you can ride a DB Response down to a worn off nub within three years of purchasing it, you will have EARNED a $2000 mountain bike as your next cycling purchase,..

Purchased At:   Mountain View Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   GT, Specialized

Bike Setup:   War Horse style

Submitted by Brian Bolden a Weekend Warrior from Abbotsford B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, light frame, great base from which to build a better bike bit by bit. I feel that this is a good value for the dollars.

Weaknesses:    Components are in need of an upgrade for serious riding. RST 281R fork is ok but not enough travel.

Bottom Line:
I have made the above modifications in order to suit my riding style better. The bike as purchased was very good for the money, but setup is such a personal thing that I felt the need to customize the bike for me. All the changes have made the bike better handling and better suited to riding the trails that I ride weekly. The frame is very strong and handles my 215 pound weight without problems. I am looking forward to years of fun with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any at Ledgeview

Purchased At:   Caps Bikes

Bike Setup:   Have replaced the following: pedals replaced with Fishbone platforms, handlebar replaced with TranzX riser, stem replaced with Axiom(shorter than stock one with the same rise), huge soft seat replaced with smaller GT seat, forks replaced with Manitou Spyders replaced with Rock Shox Judy with 100mm travel, and modifications are on going...

Submitted by JOHN SCHROEDER a Cross Country Rider from REDDING CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2000

Strengths:    LIGHT FRAME, GOOD SEAT, SOLID TIRES & RIMS.

Weaknesses:    FRONT DERAILER, BRAKES.

Bottom Line:
OK BIKE FOR THE MONEY BUT DRIVE TRAIN IS PRETTY WEAK(FRONT DERAILER HAS BEEN A CONSTANT PROBLEM) AND BRAKES ARE WEAK EVEN THOUGH BOTH HAVE BEEN TWEEKED ON BY COMPETENT SERVICE PROS MANY TIMES ALREADY. FRAME IS TOUGH AND VERY LIGHTWEIGHT. OK FOR ENTRY LEVEL.

Favorite Trail:   CIRCUIT

Purchased At:   BIKES ETC

Submitted by Jack Gehon a Weekend Warrior from Saskatoon, Sask. Canada

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Strengths:    Over all a light , strong bike . comfortable and easy to ride under just about any condition.I find climbing steep hills a challenge and the bike perfporms well under load.

Weaknesses:    I have found that the stock brake pads are just not good enough. The free wheel let go after 2 months leaving me stranded . The cartridge on the cranks is one of the lower entry level models and did not stand up to the work load I gave it.

Bottom Line:
Either I got a lemon , or the mechanic that does the warrenty work is a little confused on how to do repairs . I would like to recommend this bike to all but would feel guilty doing so at this time .

Favorite Trail:   South Saskatchewan River valley @ Saskatoon