Diamondback 2000 Oak Point Hardtail Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 801, 1.6" travel fork

Submitted by Pfaff Steve from Princeton, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth ride, light weight, solid feel, smooth on the inside knobby on the outside tires

Weaknesses:    Not the most comfortable seat, cap came off of front shock

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I ride about 40 miles a week. This is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. The gearing is great; I don't think I will ever use all 24 though. It has a very solid feel yet is very lightweight; this bike will really go. I mostly ride on paved trails and streets; once in awhile I go on unpaved trails for a very smooth ride thanks to the fork shock and seat shock. I bought the bike for aerobic exercise and to get in shape and haven't been dissapointed. The store I bought it at has a 30 "checkup" policy. I still haven't used it after 6 months because nothing is wrong or out of adjustment. I would buy another one. Tip: wait till the end of the model year when you can get a great bargain!

Favorite Trail:   Local Park

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Bike Setup:   Just a Bell bag in the front for my "stuff".

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Kenmore, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, Stylish Retro Look, MultiUse Tires, Suspension Fork, Good parts

Weaknesses:    Water Bottle Rack placement To Low, Suspension seat stability not Great, Company Website, Manual, Seat Uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
I have had my bike for almost 3 months. I have ridden it extensively on road and I have done some light to moderate off roading. This bike is not perfect but for the money it is a really great value, I paid 400$ with tax for it. I like the stylish retro look. I am still breaking in the gears but it shifts well and the hill climbing gear is fantastic! The Shimano CI-Deck (central information Deck) is nice for a while but it takes up a lot of space on the handlebars and I am starting to dislike it. The 22 inch frame is their largest and it fits my tall frame fine. The handle bars sit up high and the riding position is a more comfortable upright position.

The RST 801-6 suspension fork has preformed well for me so far. The water bottle rack is way to low for me, they could have easily put it higher up on the frame, that would make it easier to reach.

The tires are a nice half road/half trail tire, they are smooth on and off road. I have taken my Oakpoint on some buppy railroad grade trails and it preformed very well.

In a nutshell the Oakpoint is a perfect bike for the weekend warrior type of rider. It is great for light touring and light off road, a very versitale bike and well worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Burke Gillam Trail

Similar Products Used:   I have not used any similar products extensively but I have tired on many different brands with similar bikes to the Oakpoint and I found the Diamondback to be the best value.

Bike Setup:   Standard, I do have the seat up high since I am 6'7". Water Bottle Rack, 22 inch frame.