Devinci 1999 ChilliPepper Hardtail Bike

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Devinci ChilliPepper

Submitted by Carl Robb a Cross Country Rider from Barrie, ON

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2007

Strengths:    Awesome Stiff Frame, You can do anything with this bike...XC...Jumps...It will handle it

Weaknesses:    stock fork, tires and bars kind of suck...has since been upgraded

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as a frame and customized it for my riding style. With the 5" suspension on the front I can use this bike for anything. Climbs like an ox, holds the trail like an F1 car, as nimble as a deer. The bike is awesome. I am going to keep it for a long time.

Favorite Trail:   Coulson Hill

Purchased At:   Bought Frame Used

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Comodo, GT

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi EXR Pro coil, Avid BB5's, WTB Speed Disk hubs, Deore drivetrain, Panaracer Fire XC Tires

Submitted by nick Wiltshire a Weekend Warrior from Guelph Ont

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff frame. Rides like an ideal aluminum frame should.

Weaknesses:    On the '99 models, (thats the one I have but the frame is the exact same as the '00 model, just different paint) the powder coating faded until the bike was nearly polished aluminum. Devinci paid for my new paint job to correct the problem. cudos to them.

Bottom Line:
This bike is actually my girlfriends. I ride it quite a bit though cuz I like it. (not as much as my desperado though). Her's is a 16" so it is small for me, but wicked for jumping. This bike being so small adds to the stiffness of the frame, this bike feels great and tracks well. Buy this bike (frame, at least) if you prefer performance over comfort. this is not a forgiving frame(for that matter, neither is the 17.5" desperado frame that I have). Don't buy it you are old and on the virge of jumping on the FS bandwagon. (nothing against FS bikes, but let's face it, if you're not on the North Shore, a strong hardtail is much more practicle).

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stumpjumer, or rock hopper. . . Their high end race bike, I get these to names confused.

Bike Setup:   bought it as a frameset. Bomber z4 alloy, lx/stx, titec.

Submitted by Eric Cuillerier a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2000

Strengths:    Good fork (judy xc set a 100mm), rear derailleur, titec seatpost, frame, good on steep hills

Weaknesses:    the seat is way to hard, could of been LX

Bottom Line:
Good bike overall, with the suspension set at 100mm it goes anywere, for the price (1150 canadian) it's the best

Favorite Trail:   Camp Fortune, Tremblant

Similar Products Used:   Big Sur, Rockhopper comp

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by jordan a Cross Country Rider from fort mac,alberta,canada

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    it is all the frame, the frame is very durable and lightwieght for its price(it wieght 4 pounds)

Weaknesses:    the componets it should have at least shimano LX

Bottom Line:
well i bike is the team ford devinci replica that ford had a specail on and it is the same has the chillipepper. i love the bike the only down side is the shifters, derailers, crank, and brakes

Similar Products Used:   kona nunu, kona lava-dome, kona hahanna

Bike Setup:   the only thing i have done yet was to change the rock shox jetts to a pair of Judy XC
i also put on axiom riser bars

Submitted by Daniel Szever a Weekend Warrior from Kitchener Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2000

Strengths:    God shifters,derailers,seatpost and pedals awesome frame

Weaknesses:    crumy tires,saddle,forks (97 indy xc),rims,grips,cranks,and head set

Bottom Line:
The biggest thing this bike needs is forks,I switched from 97 ROCK SHOX INDY XC to a 99 MARZOCCHI Z2BAM.You cant get any better than marzocchi.This bike is set up for exstreme single track and dual slalom riding.I changed the saddle to a titec berserkr.Tires from michelin wild grippers to bontrager revolt st2 1.95 and the grips to yeti logos.THIS BIKE KICKS ASS!

Favorite Trail:   anything

Similar Products Used:   For the money this was the best bike

Bike Setup:   stx-rc/lx, Marzocchi 99 Z-2bams, bontrager revolt st2 tires

Submitted by jacko a Cross Country Rider from New-Brunswick

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2000

Strengths:    value
made in canada
fork

Weaknesses:    skinny tires
could use riser bars

Bottom Line:
great all around bike but I'm gonna add risers and some bigger tires for some more extreme riding. I ride all year round in mostly dry single track and fire roads (only dry in the summer in the winter it's mostly snowy). Also like riding in the city (drop offs, ramps)