Cannondale 2001 F4000 Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Strengths:    Mine is the 4000sl...Climbs unbelievebly...although I am coming off a 40lb full suspension bike. The lockout is great, just remember to unlock it. Handles great in tight stuff. It is such a light bike.

Weaknesses:    About the only one I can find is the brakes. I'm going to replace them this winter with Hayes. I've been playing with the Magura Louise and just can't get as much power out of them as I would like. They fade really bad to on extended use. Scared me a few times.

Bottom Line:
I got the bike used, had 100kms of light use on it. I love the bike. Wasn't sure I would like a hardtail. I've started getting into racing and this bike is exactly what I want. It makes you a much better rider. Quality overall is outstanding. There are a few parts I plan on changing, mainly the brakes, but hey who rides a "stock" bike?

Favorite Trail:   There are many

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Last bike was a Trek VRX500. Also riden Fuel 90, 8500.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for an Easton EC2 seatpost

Submitted by Gary Harris a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, QC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Strengths:    Light, responsive, well equipped. Also, in spite of 2 recalls on the carbon Lefty, I think the front end of this bike is great - stiff, well balanced and tracks well.

Weaknesses:    In my opinion, Magura Louise brakes are garbage. Also, the CAAD5 mountain frame (original equipment on this bike) has fragile seat stays - I stepped off while climbing (lost my line and had to bail) - the bike fell over on a rock - this caused the seat stay to buckle. I replaced the CAAD5 with a CAAD4 frame - tougher back end but otherwise quite similar to the CAAD5.

Bottom Line:
This is my fifth Cannondale and probably my last, for the following reasons:
1. When I bought the bike, I negotiated the price and then the shop ordered the bike. When delivered, Cannondale had downgraded the rear hub from Coda Competition to Coda Expert - without so much as a "by your leave". When I complained, I was told they had run out of competition hubs. I interpreted this as: "we thought we could screw you and you wouldn't notice". - Well..I noticed. After I complained they gave me a competition hub. I consider this switcheroo a breach of trust - shabby treatment direct from the manufacturer.
2. My back brake has never worked properly. I was told by the shop where I deal that they have had many problems with Magura brakes and Cannondale doesn't want to hear anything about it. In my opinion I bought a Cannondale bike and now they fail to support their product. I am currently bikeless because the back brake has been sent back to Magura.
3. As a customer I have no direct recourse back to Cannondale. My concerns must be transmitted to the shop, who wait to hear from the Cannondale area representative, passes judgment at his leisure - which experience has shown can take way too long. In my opinion they have too few reps, or the wrong rep, or the wrong customer service system altogether. I have found the responses to be long in coming and showing little concern for support of the product.

So... I think it's time to try another bike manufacturer.

Favorite Trail:   Andes - Santiago Chile

Purchased At:   Village Cycle - Hudson Quebec

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale super-V 2000 - decided to switch to hardtail - I like the hardtail much better.

Bike Setup:   CAAD4 hardtail frame, full XTR including crank set, carbon Lefty with ELO, Magura Louise hydraulic disc brakes - soon to be replaced by Hayes.

Submitted by Todd Smith a Racer from LA, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Strengths:    Very light. Excellent from suspension for a XC bike. The electronic lockout it fantastic. Disc breaks are great once you get rid of the first generation Minoura levers. They blow.

Weaknesses:    Lefty shock recalled. Had to send it back to Cannondale so they could put some screws in the bottom part of the fork. Else it can separate. First version of Minoura disk break levers leaked and rattled worse than a cold rattle snake. Chain pops off when shifting from large to small ring. Haven't got it adjusted just right yet. I've had the bike for 2 months. 6 weeks of that it has been in the shop. Requires a rear or upright bike rack mount. This isn't a bike you take the front wheel off often. When you do there are about 9 little washers that you have to keep track of. It's back in the shop now because of some friction in the drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
Great bike once you get it setup correctly.

Favorite Trail:   Backbone

Purchased At:   Helens Cycles, Santa Monica

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M4 Pro

Bike Setup:   Time pedals. Otherwise all stock.

Submitted by mtbMike a Racer from Indiana

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome frame, fork combo. This is the best bike that I have ever ridden!

Bottom Line:
AWESOME. Spend the money, go to the LBS and get one! Just over 21 lbs. with pedals. You can't go wrong!!!

Purchased At:   Summit City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Raced a 2000 F4000sl last year and this is heads above it!

Bike Setup:   Stock, except Speedplay Ti Frogs, Kenda Klimax Lite Tires, and a Thomson Post.

Submitted by Wake Fulp a Racer from Pfafftown, NC , USA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Strengths:    The carbon lefty is awsome. Very light and super stiff steering. The ELO lock out is crucial, it allows me to tune the fork plusher than I normally would. Disc brakes are a big advantage as well. Tubeless is as big of invention as clipless pedals and front suspension.

Weaknesses:    No bike ever comes from the factory extactly like I want them specked. I had to bought new cranks and disc brakes to put on my new expensive bike

Bottom Line:
The caad 5 frame is a much smoother riding frame compared to the caad 4. The carbon lefty is light years ahead of the headshok. The compresion and rebound is much better and the longer travel is very nice. The only reason to have the longer travel as a xc racer is because of the lock out.

Purchased At:   Paceline Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Last years bike was a F3000. Ultra fatty fork.

Bike Setup:   Changes from stock: Moots ti post, Crossmax disc rear, XTR crank, xt disc brakes, 858 pedals, Monkey lite low rise bar.