Cannondale 2001 F2000 Hardtail Bike

3.92/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Cooka a Cross Country Rider from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2003

Strengths:    Light, strong, stiff

Weaknesses:    Some crappy components

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Light and stiff and stronger than I expected. I ride mostly in the mountains and was very unsure about the CAAD5 frame, but it has stood up just fine for 2 years now, as have the 317's. Also the old single piston Louises are great as long as you know what you're doing with them. All the adjustment is manual so you can dial them and tune away any noise also. This is totally different to newer auto adjusting disks where you just get what you're given, including the noise!

Purchased At:   UK

Similar Products Used:   Err, many other XC bikes

Bike Setup:   Standard except XT crankset

Submitted by Carlos Traina a Weekend Warrior from São Carlos Brazil

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, stabel, greit for allmost everything
When I go out with the guys I let every-one behind in the up-hills with this bike..the other bikes don't give me that edge

Weaknesses:    the frame craked near the rear disk-suport
had soem trouble with the rear disk

Bottom Line:
This bike roks!!!
best buy I did in a long time. I let the frame in the shop today cause of the crak, but i did some nasty stuuf wiht the bike, a surprise it lasted this long. I'm probabily going to have to wait a long time to get the new frame, but what can I do???
botton line the bike is a dream... just be carefull wwith it.
The price was a litlle high, but what is good has its price.

Purchased At:   $1500

Similar Products Used:   Scott, GT

Bike Setup:   mix LX, XT
xt diskbrakes
I'm still going to get this baby all-XTR

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, Ore, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Strengths:    The Caad 5 frame is stiff, but a way softer ride than Caad 4 or 5. The bike and frame are light(21lbs). It climbs amazingly, with a crisp feel.

Weaknesses:    Coda Expert discs with 4 bolt rotors. The Coda 2x9 cranks with the 29 tooth small ring. Sometimes I wish I had a Lefty, not the Fatty Ultra DL

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike. The Fatty Ultra that comes on the F2000 Sl is suited best for racers, or people that poke down trails so slow they don't notice big hits. The superlight setup makes for great climbing, it is extremely nimble. I love my bike, I think I would love it more with a Lefty. The 4 bolt rotors suck big time if you want to get new wheels, or brakes. The 2x9 drive train is not good for steep climbing, it is geared too high.

Similar Products Used:   Other Cannondales

Bike Setup:   F2000 Sl with Hutchinson Mosquito Golds(mistake), Egg Beater pedals, and all the other stock components.

Submitted by Huey a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Strengths:    Quite light for a production bike. Stiff, efficient frame but not too bonejarring. Although not as plush & responsive, I like the stiffness of the headshok design.

Weaknesses:    Some questionable components on it. My butt didn't like the narrow saddle. Non standard 4 bolt disc rotor mount. Takes time to set up properly & maintain. Brakes howl very loud at 3/4 braking, not squeal, HOWL!

Bottom Line:
This bike was lighter than my old Dean titanium with the full XTR 9spd with V-brakes. I built up some really light, 28 hole race wheels with Mavic 517's and butted spokes too (I was 135lbs race weight). This bike is definitely stiffer & tracks better in the tight stuff. Brakes are more powerful but I don't find they modulate that great & the really howl. Had to fill the headshock with a lighter weight oil but that was about it. No creaks from the BB, wheels have stayed straight. My lockout on the headshok works only sporadically after it was refilled with the lighter oil. Not sure if it's because of the oil or because the mechanic didn't know what he was doing. Only other minus is the howling disc brakes which I haven't been able to solve with a blowtorch, sanding, boilling, changing pads, realligning the caliper, etc. It's only the front brake too, I've never contaminated them either. Gotta smoken' deal on it so I'll only take one flamin' chilli away for the brakes. Otherwise, a decent XC race bike.

Similar Products Used:   Old D-Back carbon fiber, Dean Ti w/ full 9spd XTR & Atom Bomb

Bike Setup:   Swapped the BB for a Dura-Ace BB that I had lying around, Time ATAC's, Coda barends, Flite Saddle.

Submitted by Ishmael Muscat a Racer from Gzira, Malta (small island in Mediterranean)

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2001

Strengths:    I own the F2000SL model with no lefty-just the Ultra, as it's lighter than with the lefty with the same components.

Very light- L size- 9.88Kg, option to make front susp. rigid, very good handling, good for racing (I guess! First race in 2 days with it!)

Weaknesses:    No bar ends with it, Magura louise brakes squeak all the time! Crank/bottom bracket area makes noises after some days- i thought it had a defective B/B but the bikeshop told me it was cause of dirt. Maybe the splined B/B causes this?? I do not know-I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW- so ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWING THE ANSWER, TELL ME!

only available in matt black

Bottom Line:
I bought the Ultra setup cause the lefty was about 1kg heavier with the same setup while costing about $500 more!! I only complain of the noises coming from the bottom area, and that it has no bar ends with it. no pedals too, but i had mine.

I like Cannondale-I hope i will in the future. I have it for 8 weeks now.

Price could be better-I bought it with 10% sale as 2002 models already came out!

Favorite Trail:   Have to look better abroad as our island is too small!

Purchased At:   Pedalpower, Malta

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Max

Bike Setup:   Mavic X317 Disc rims (i did not get the can. rims the other guys mention in their review), Magura louise disc brakes, Ultra suspension, 9 speed XTR rear, XT all others.

Submitted by Curtis Green a Weekend Warrior from Lawrence, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    I love the lock out shock. So far the Magura disc's have been great. I've been riding a worn out Rockhopper for the last year so all of the XT components are a nice upgrade. This bike is light and looks good, but BEWARE, don't fall in love with the paint job.

Weaknesses:    Today, finally, after one, two, three, CODA cranks the nice guys at the shop put an XT crankset on the bike. However they warned me that there may be a problem involving "splines and ledges" and a "design flaw" may be at hand. GREAT, my $2000 bike is a lemon. Also the rear tire (Continental) lost three knubs about a week after I got the bike. The nice guys at the shop also replaced these with a pair of Specialized Ground Force' s. While I mentioned that I like the disc's, I still miss good old v-brakes. The disc's "clank" in the wind, and squeak most of the time when applied.

Bottom Line:
Unless you like the guys at your local bike shop more than you like riding DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE. I spent $500 bucks less than two years ago on my SPECIALIZED and never, ever, had a lick of trouble with it. There has not been a week in this last month that my Cannondale had not had some problem with it that the shop has had to address. I really feel sick about the whole situation. I owe Visa more than I've ever spent in my whole life and I've got a bike that I really don't trust to last.
What 's worse is that I read these reviews and just like a classic idiot I thought "that would never happen to me." I kept telling myself those guys who submitted the bad reviews were just a few pist off people, well now add me to the list. A few may slowly turn into a hand-full. The bottom line is this, Cannondale makes a nice LOOKING bike, but after a month of problems a Huffy is strating to look pretty damn good to me.

Favorite Trail:   Clinton Lake

Purchased At:   Sunflower Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I started riding about a year and a half ago on a brand new Rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Magura Disc Brakes, NOW XT crank set, NOW Specialized Tires, Fatty Ultra shock, all the XT goods with an XTR Derailer.

Submitted by Dave Frank from Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Strengths:    Weight, climbing ability, ease of manuvering

Weaknesses:    Stock Magura Louise disc brakes, "creaking" crank

Bottom Line:
This is a really great bike once you outfit with the right components; anyone who wants a fast, responsive, light XC racer this is it. I ordered this bike from my local store and asked specifically for the Hayes Discs dues to all of the negative feedback I got from people who used the CODA brakes plus I wasn't really familiar with the Magura Louise product. Once I got this bike the boys at the bike shop cut the brake line too short for the front Hayes so I used it with the Magura Louise on the front and Hayes on the back; great since I had a free opportunity to compare the two systems. I put over 100km (70 miles) on this bike and in that time found out that I will NEVER buy Magura brakes incomparison to the Hayes, the brake handle rattled and boy did they squeal and bind- I tried honestly for 5 rides to fine tune these animals as per Magura's instructions and still to no use. Therefore I now have the Hayes all around and really, really love this bike, my advice to anyone is to change these brakes before you take them out of the store and you will be a lot happier. I actaully called Cannondale and asked them what I would be getting for brakes on my bike if I ordered on that day since I had heard rumblings of them using Hayes on this bike-they couldn't tell me since "Our specs change constantly and therefore our components will change constantly so the bike you get might not be the one spec'ed as the web-site states or as the brochure states". I'm paying almost $3k Canadian for this machine and have to open up the box to a surprise-what a load of CRAP!! I did work out a deal with the bike store though and they swapped the braked with no charge, great eh!!! As far as the crank and 2 chain ring system goes I thought I would give it a shot since I had only ever ran a triple up front and I really like the 2 ring system but the crank does creak under load and I am a load at 200lbs!! My next upgrade will be to change these to Raceface but will definately keep the 2 ring system. I read some previous reviews of the frame breaking and am amazed that I haven't had any problems due my weight plus I have basically tried to destroy this bike on the trails with no luck with a lot of serious crashes on the way over (300km now). Buy this bike you won't be disappointed but it does come with a heavy sticker price that Cannondale needs to address plus the spec'ed components have to match the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest/Ganny

Purchased At:   Bicycles Plus

Similar Products Used:   Giant 860

Bike Setup:   Hayes Hydraulic Brakes, Rocket Shorty Grip Shifters, Time pedals

Submitted by Perry a Weekend Warrior from Jax Fla

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2001

Strengths:    The bike is light, nice saddle

Weaknesses:    Had the bike for 2 weeks. The crank creeked like a mother. Took it back, the splines in the crank were gone. After two weeks of being in the shop, rode it once, the magura front brake started leaking fluid. Took it back, they ordered a new brake, and after a week I was back on the trail. Rode it for three weeks this time. Let me remind you, I ride in Fla. This is not Moab, trails are flat for the most part. The frame broke near the rear dropout, my rear tire falls off and I have to walk 8 miles back to my truck. As you can guess< I took it back, and after three weeks I received my new frame. The bike is good as new, I listed it on e-bay, it sold and I will soon be the proud owner of a Trek Fuel 98. Do yourself a favour, dont by a CANNONDALE.

Bottom Line:
If you dont mind your 2000 dollar bike spending half it's life in the shop, then this is the bike for you.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   lakeshore schwinn

Similar Products Used:   1997 Trek 8700

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Mohamed Azmi Zainudin a Weekend Warrior from Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Strengths:    Quality paintwork & frame build.Personally,the best 4" travel hardtail I have ridden.Properly set-up,the fork doesn't bob & to date,I never find the need to lock-out,even on steep climbs.Lefty is supple on the small bumps yet unruffled in the rough.The F2000 sticks to the chosen line & the ride is surprisingly not harsh as the older CAAD 4 F2000.Hayes brakes...a must have on such a fast bike!

Weaknesses:    Cannondale's use of only 4 rotor screw to secure the Hayes Discs to their hubs are not good nor secure as the standard 6 rotor screw set-up.Perhaps Cannondale is being gram conscious here?The Hayes disc on the Cannondale has a tendency to warp under hard use.This is something that never happens on a Hayes Discs with 6 rotor screw set-up!My disc wasn't true & had to be realigned by my lbs when I took delivery of the F2000.I have other bikes equipped with Hayes Disc on 6 rotor screw set-up & I NEVER encounter such a problem.The Rigida rims though light,don't measure up to the rest of the bike!So's the VRO Syntec stem/handle bar combo!Why put such a high stem(even if u rotate it low, it's still high)/bar combo when the bike is already so tall up front!There were questions & complaints on the durability of the ELO Lefty & it's electronics but I've yet to experience any problem.Last but not least...made in Thailand(??)Continental Explorer Pro tyres!?What gives!?

Bottom Line:
I have been a long time fan & owner of Cannondale bikes.Cannondale's innovative designs have set a lot of benchmarks & I have high ecpectations each time they release a new bike.Personally,I'm impressed with the ride of the 2001 F2000.It excels as a long travel hard-tail.However,it falls short in other areas.For the price, Cannondale could've specced the F2000 with better(quality?) components & possibly,they could've gotten away with a(nother) runaway sales success as in the case of the mid year release Disc F600!Perhaps Cannondale should take a good look at how other bike companies spec their bikes ie. Santa Cruz(although the Superlight is a full sus)& Gaint easily comes to mind of bikes that gives good value for our hard earned money!4 Chillies...as the F2000,overall,more than makes up for it's shortcomings.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to mention

Purchased At:   Kim Teik Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale '96 Atlanta/'97/'99 F2000,Gary Fisher '99 Procaliber,Klein Atitude/Adroit.

Bike Setup:   Lbs was kind enough to replace the VRO Syntec bar/stem combo for the standard Cannondale Si 120 mm length,35 degree stem. Fixed a Easton CT2 Carbon bar.Changed XT 9 speed shifters,cogset & front derailleur to Grip Shift Attack 8 speed,Shimano XTR cogset,XTR front derailleur & XTR cranks.Dumped the Rigida Rims & Cannondale seatpost for Mavic 317 Disc Rims & Thomson seat post.Replaced the oem seat clamp & rear quick release for Salsa's.I also traded in Shimano's 515 pedals for Time's Titan Carbon pedals...sweet.

Submitted by Nolan Barco a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Fl USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Strengths:    The frame was light

Weaknesses:    The frame cracked within six months, the rims are the worse quality, the Coda brakes were replaced with Hayes. Now they will replace the bike with a Caad 4 instaed because they claim that the CAAD5 is delicate and designed for racing. Cannondale seems to be full of sh*t.

Bottom Line:
Cannondale needs to stop attempting to reinvent the wheel and put out their own line. Shimano does it better.
The bike dealer International Bikes in Ft. Lauderdale sucks for customer service. They pride on ripping you off. They do not back their products.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   International Bikes (sh*t)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized...I will never buy Cannondale again...

Bike Setup:   Stock + hayes brakes.

Submitted by Micah Wilcock a Racer from Reno, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Great frame, the lefty is the best 4 in. fork out there I think, it is even better with the ELO. Hayes brakes are the best stoppers you can get, and a good mix of xt/xtr.

Weaknesses:    The rims and the cranks. I have already put a flat stop in my rims, and I only weigh 150. They are too cheap for any type of riding. The Coda crank also in the why the hell are these on my $2000 doller bike bin, I have no clue why they would put them on this bike. The front chain rings are terrible shifters, it takes forever for them to shift, and I have already had to replace two of them. The cranks flex, and just lack the persision of shimano. The VRO stem/bar combo is good if you like to change your settings alot, but some people might not like the weight it adds.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike, you can use it for anything. It is light enough to be raced on, but with the lefty you still can trail ride. If cannondale would put on different rims and cranks(they are both Coda) this bike would be perfect! The CAAD 5 frame is a frame to keep forever, and it comes in hella tight colors too. I would buy this bike if you are a racer looking for something you could play around on between races. I give it a 5 because it is a great bike for anybody who wants more travel, but does not want the weight to show it.

Favorite Trail:   flume trail

Bike Setup:   I have everything stock becides the pedels and two chain rings. I put some nice carbon times on to replace the untrustable shimano. 515s that came on there. My bb is going out, so it looks like I will be replaceing that too.

Submitted by Cameron B from Canada (west of Toronto,east of Vancouver))

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    Nimble, crisp, fast handling. Beautiful frame, Lefty shock, ELO, hayes disk breaks.

Weaknesses:    Rims - extremely poor quality. I bent them way too easily, poor spec. for such a pricy bike

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for anyone who wants a XC raceable bike (a bit on the heavy side for tons of racing), that is fun and comfortable enough to ride and throw around a bit. The Lefty shock is super smooth and the ELO makes a big difference for sprinting and climbing, the 100 mm of travel makes the bikes geometry feel less like a race bike, and more like a bike that you want to ride every day. I have used XT disk breaks, but once the hayes are set up, you will never go back!(I love disks) I have no complaints about the spec. except for the cannondale rims - they are extremely poor quality since I bent them in routine trail riding (I only weigh 165 lbs.) For a bike this expensive with Hayes disk breaks, and XT components, the rims are the last thing where corners should be cut. I would give it a full 10 flaming red things, but I am really disappointed with the quality of the rims, however, the rest of the bike is good enough to bump the overall rating to a 5 (there should be a 4.5 rating).

Similar Products Used:   Marin Indian Fire Trail (Stolen from my basement!), and others.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Rims - Mavic D521. Yes I did put on a heavy rim, but I absolutely don't want them to bend again.