Cannondale 2000 F900 SX Hardtail Bike

4.03/5 (33 Reviews)
MSRP : $1950.99

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Headshok Lefty DLR, 4.0" travel fork

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    Super Light. Fork Lockout. Sweet Looking.

Weaknesses:    Crankset and Coda Brakes

Bottom Line:
Amazingly light, awesome climber, good downhill, super tracking stability. I'm not a heavyweight, but no fly weight either at 170 lbs, and while I'm not doing 4 and 5 foot drops, I'm rough on my gear. This bike (except for stock crank) can take the abuse with style.

Ultra stiff hardtail frame = rough ride on rough-fast downhill, but the fork is very capable. Bike was purchased essentially unused (perfect finish, zero wear on crankset or cassette, disk rotors still cross hatched) and stock, but Lefty had been swapped out for 80mm air Fatty. I can't complain though, as this shock is awesome when the air pressure is dialed in correctly, and I get to use std items such as hub, skewers, truck bed fork mount... The bike loves downhill switchbacks and smaller jumps (>2 ft).

Brakes are less than impressive, but with proper maintenance and tuning, I haven't yet been convinced to replace them. Articulation and feel are great, but sheer stopping power is obviously lacking, especially when wet or muddy.

I thought the OE Hutchisons were good tires, until I swapped them for the Fire's - what a difference, the bike absolutely hooks on corners now.

As a note, I had constant issues with stiction in the seatpost, but cured this by packing the post with automotive chassis grease. I packed it slam full, put the post through a few cycles w/o the elastomer in place, and then replaced the elastomer. It does a good job of keeping dirt and moisture out of the bearings, and adds a damping effect not accomplished by the elastomer, which tended to po-go.

I wish the decal set were clear coated over, but that is a minor gripe. I would recommend Cannondale to anyone, assuming you can fit one in the budget - or can get a great deal on one. The value rating reflects my purchase price, and would likely drop to 3 or 4 if I had to pay MSRP, due to component group.

Similar Products Used:   D'Back, Giant, KHS

Bike Setup:   Ultra Fatty (no Lefty), XT/LX, Truvativ ISIS 5D, WTB Speed V saddle, Panaracer Fire XC Pros

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Feeding Hills

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    The lefty shocks rules. It is a great climbing bike.

Weaknesses:    CODA SSSSSUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSS. The brakes are the worst things ever invented. I had thoes things in the shop every other week!!!

Bottom Line:
A good bike for the money with the exception of the brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Purchased At:   Wheels in Motion

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Alan Cutter a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX USA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Strengths:    Superb frame & fork. Exceptionaly light and rigid bike that climbs and handles like nothing else.

Weaknesses:    Stock brakes. Magura Julies can be had as a warranty replacement for free.

Bottom Line:
Cannondale will replace the junk CODA disc brakes with Magura Julies under warranty at no cost to the owner. Do this. Magura Julies are exceptional brakes (just look at their rating on MTB Review). The CODA crank is great provided you tighten the hell out of the bolts. The bike comes stock with a Shimano Ultegra type bottom bracket which needs 25% more torque to tighten than standard tapered-square crank/brackets. Add a couple drops of oil to the suspension seatpost and it will last forever.

The brakes are fixed with the Julies and the extra torque needed for the bolts is a very minor issue. Other than that, this bike is exceptional - one of the best hardtails ever made. I've ridden everything out there, even bikes at 3 times the cost of this, and the F900SX wins hands down. Nothing handles or climbs like this baby.

When I break the rims, I'm going for Spinergy Wheelsets for some added strength. In the meantime the CODA rims and hubs have treated me and my 210lbs very well.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Austin

Similar Products Used:   Everything out there.

Bike Setup:   Stock except Magura Julie discs which replaced the CODA brakes under warranty.

Submitted by Man Hands a Weekend Warrior from Goshen, OH, Clermont

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Strengths:    Bike is very light and a great climber. I love the pee green color too!

Weaknesses:    The handlebar diameter is a little small for my hands--but I am the exception rather than the rule. My back always seems to hurt becuase I am using my hips a lot to keep the bike on the trail--I think I am a full suspension kind of guy. Had to buy a thud buster to make it tolerable, which about killed my wallet! The coda breaks couldn't stop a circus flea's bike.

Bottom Line:
Great climber, whish I had the lefty, very light, but I am moving to a Jekyll!

Favorite Trail:   Cave Run

Purchased At:   Used from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Trek Y bike, Jekyll with the lefty from this bike.

Bike Setup:   My "friend" that I purchased it from preyed on my bike ignorance and stuck a head shok on it and kept the lefty for himself (and didn't give me a discount). I have a $90 seat that I bought for $30 and quickly damaged. I have to hear from my friend that I gave me too good of a deal every time I see him. Thud buster--a must have. Lots of stickers.

Submitted by Chia Can a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    Basically it is great climber and descender. one important thing is that this bike is damn light.

Weaknesses:    I had plenty of problems with lefty… Found some rusting going on at the bottom near the hub and lockout does not function well…
Sent my bike to the dealer to get it check… The answer I got from them for the rusting was that it was caused by oxidation and asked mi to get some ultra-fine sandpaper and sand it down and lacquer it and as for the lockout they said it is mostly the user fault and I will have to pay for it. Damn can’t imagine that only after a few rides without using the lockout it will spoil. All I can say is that Cannondale makes great bikes but when it comes to after sale services sucks. Right now my bike is still with the dealer.

Bottom Line:
it will be a great bike i can say.... if there aren't so much problem with the lefty. I will only give this two Chilis if not for all the trouble caused by the lefty

Purchased At:   Cannondale Asia

Similar Products Used:   Other brandless bikes

Bike Setup:   Xt system and a coda disc brake

Submitted by Jojo Monasterial a Cross Country Rider from Dumaguete City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    Great climber, stable descender, lefty rules!, good tires, hubs are completely rebuildable, price (got it on sale, yum!), and it comes in black with yellow and silver decals (sweet!)

Weaknesses:    Wheels had to be trued after about 5 months. 2002 models come with Mavic rims so i guess that's it for wheel problems. Mine came wid rigida rims. Also, the crank bolts came loose after about the same time and wouldn't stay tight no matter how tight we make them. Loctite blue did the trick!

Bottom Line:
The f900sx is a very good bike able to handle well in all but the roughest trails. I mainly use it for trail riding at least three times a week. Joined a couple of cross country races, too. the bike performed ok, I didn't. Trails in our place vary from smooth to nasty. the bike holds up well on the uphills and is so sweet on the downhills. Climbing is great when done seated and weight shifted a little forward. the bike is also capable of small to medium drops. the big ones, well we know we need a different bike for that! Had problem with a cracked disc brake tab after using the bike (responsibly, i might add) for two weeks. Cannondale replaced my frame at once, free of charge! I have to thank my dealer for that. Buy your bikes from YKK trading, they'll support you all the way! Ahem, where was I? Oh yes, the bike. Ok so now I have exactly the same black frame, but with one minor difference. My seat stay stickers come in silver instead of yellow! I am now the proud owner of the ONLY year 2000 model bike, with year 2000 body color, but with year 2001 decals. Just my luck! Cannondale ran out of the yellow stickers! Oh well, talk about good fortune. there you have it folks, great bike, from a great company, sold by a great dealer. What more can you ask for? What's that? A Jeckyll? Hmm...

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   YKK trading, Cebu City, Philippines

Similar Products Used:   my old aluminum framed bike (i loved that bike!)

Bike Setup:   caad4 frame, lefty dlr fork, coda disc brakes. basically stock 'cept for handle bars. changed the coda with titec hellbents and changed 20 degree stem with a 5 degree stem.

Submitted by andy evans a Weekend Warrior from dorset, england

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Strengths:    light frame and smoothly finished, exellent fork, good drivechain, adaptable from xc machine to a street beast.

Weaknesses:    the brakes are useless, and i think my fork is pre production as the mounts have gone discoloured. Also why the stickers on the frame it now looks pants and new ones are impossible to get in england.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great fun but the stickers and fork details and shocking brakes are niggling problems. I am soon upgrading to hope mini brakes which should solve the problem. i cant complain though as i got the bike 1/2 price as an ex-demo model and nothing major has broken. Riding a lefty is great people sto and wonder how it works.

Favorite Trail:   canford heath

Purchased At:   Xtreme, poole

Similar Products Used:   specialized

Bike Setup:   azonic riser bars with either spd's and long post or flatties tioge 2.3 tires and a small post.

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, super plush fork,

Weaknesses:    Coda components.......well you know.......they suck.

Bottom Line:
The frame and fork are sweet. The components are week. I got a good deal on the bike and hooked it up. It's sick now.

Favorite Trail:   goverment center!!

Purchased At:   Back Bay Bikes

Bike Setup:   F900 SX, Selle Italia Prolink gel, Answer Pro Taper gold bars, intense DH lock on grips, LX brake levers, Hayes Mechanical disc brakes, panaracer Fire DH pro tires, DX 636 pedals, MRP long range patrol guide

Submitted by Neil a Weekend Warrior from Louisvile,Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Takes a while to break in the breaks.

Bottom Line:
The bike is the bomb.... out....

Purchased At:   Internet

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by doug a Cross Country Rider from St. Paul, MN,

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    Handeling and climbing

Weaknesses:    Componets - Disk Brakes and shock. Third set of brakes and third shock rebuild in less than 9 months.

Bottom Line:
This bikes handles awesome in anything if its not in the shop. I have spent over $1000 this summer alone keeping the bike going. I am on my third set of Disk brakes. The first two were Coda's - impossible to get set up. The current brakes are Hayes Mechanical disk and they are marginal at best.
The shock is one of the best I have used but it constantly has to be rebuilt. I am on number 3. The lock out mechanism broke and is going to cost me $300 to fix - Cannondale won't help out either.
Hey, I ride my bike pretty hard but I am not jumping it. I don't understand why after every two rides it has to go back to the shop. I will be selling the bike because I can't afford to keep riding it. I am looking at Rocky Mountains.

Favorite Trail:   the farm

Purchased At:   Now Bike

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche, Stump Jumper, F2000

Bike Setup:   XTR and XT drivetrain, Mavic 517 rims, Hayes Mechanical disk brakes

Submitted by Steven Platteeuw a Weekend Warrior from Roeselare

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    I was amazed by the quality of the frame. It handles well and you get a lot of joy riding this frame on easy ground. Don't go riding with it in the mountains, you will crash to death, i will explain here beneath.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses? How many lines can i write down here....?? First of all; the brakes are not functioning at all, in stead of improving they come worse every time you take your bike out. The brake plates are too small , the hydraulic hoses are too light ( they expand while braking) and the cilinder actually bends when you pull hard on the levers. Second major problem is the Lefty fork, yes it handles well ,but it's allready my second fork. The first one gave up on the third ride, It was worn out in the interior. Also the Coda components ( or Lada components) are worthless, my crank broke twice and i broke both of the Coda wheels. The paint job is splendid but the stickers are not. I am so sorry that Cannondale can't do any better than this.....

Bottom Line:
Please be very cautious when you spend that much money on your new purchase. Offcourse your bikes are cheaper in the US than here in Belgium but Cannondale is deeply downgrated to me...

Favorite Trail:   forests

Purchased At:   Jowan

Bike Setup:   this bike has been given a place on the junkyard

Submitted by Ryan nardo from Eugnee OR

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    The Lefty fork the frame seat post and anything that says shimano

Weaknesses:    Brakes! brakes! Brakes! they suck, my friends canilicer alivio rim brakes work better, they brakes are being replaced. The crank sucks I broke the crank after three months of riding, I am getting a Race face shore.

Bottom Line:
This bike would be good cross country riding and moderate free riding if the brakes cranks and wheels were up to the job, I think this bike could excell if cannondale put hayes brakes, race face cranks and rhyno light rims

Favorite Trail:   my own

Purchased At:   Hutches

Similar Products Used:   GT I-drive 3000, K2 razorback, Santacruz Superlight.

Bike Setup:   stock except for platform petels

Submitted by Chaz a Racer from Green Bay

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2001

Strengths:    The Lefty is da bomb!! The specs are pretty nice too.it climbs and handles like a charm. and it goes down really great too.

Weaknesses:    front brake needs reagustment, but Lock Tight fixed that

Bottom Line:
this bike works great after the brakes are taken care of. you can go up and down, back and forth with ease and the lefty is so great, it can be set really plush so it takes the little hist but its got the travle to take the big ones too. the only problen i have right now are the stickers, insted of painted on name, and i need a new cycle computer for it but otherwise its great.

Favorite Trail:   Bairds Creek

Purchased At:   Team 2 Racing (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized A1 Comp FS

Bike Setup:   Stock exept thompson seatpost, time A.T.A.C. peadles, and Easton CT2 Handle bar

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Ocala, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    The lefty fork on this bike gives great handling. The hutchison aligator tires are great ( I even bought a pair of golds). After some break in time the Coda Disc breaks have proven to be reliable. I do like the fact that I can lay into both front and back breaks and not worry about losing control or going over the handle bars and I can stop much quicker than the standard V-brake bikers. I do really enjoy the bike alot and love to ride it after doing some major upgrades.

Weaknesses:    The constant maintenance and repair required due to Low end wheelsets (at least performance wise), LX components, and Coda Components. It is clear that Cannondale has accepted the quest to make the lightest bike but I think they went to far with this one. The suspension seat post was great while it lasted. At first contact with dirt and sand it crapped out.

Bottom Line:
This is a tough one. This was my first major bike purchase and it has been a work in progress experience. I really love the bike but like my friends say you seem to be in the shop every week with it. If you can get a good deal on this bike and do the upgrades you will have one of the best hardtail bikes out there. For value I am only giving 2 flamers. But for overall rating (and I am doing this one based on the bike I now have after all the upgrades) it gets 5 flamers.

Favorite Trail:   Santos