Cannondale 2000 F800 Hardtail Bike

4.56/5 (18 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Headshok Fatty DL, 2.75" travel fork

Submitted by elcienpiesrider a Weekend Warrior from calexico ca us

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    great...climber,accurate handling

Bottom Line:
Super great bike for the money!!!!!!!!!!!!
cannondale is plusssssss

Favorite Trail:   el cien pies

Similar Products Used:   trek 8000

Bike Setup:   sram x-0,xtr,coda,terry saddle

Submitted by blancboy a Cross Country Rider from Manchester NH USA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Strengths:    light, stiff, great looker, great climber, very versatile

Weaknesses:    stock Coda saddle,
LX front derailleur slow shifting , knob on Headshok difficult to lockout quickly on the fly...should be swapped to a lever

Bottom Line:
I wanted to start cross country riding when i bought this bike. The bike was stock, with platform pedals and mosquito tyres. I first was fitted to the bike and the x-large frame was spot on. My riding was a mile plus of pavement to reach the wooded trails. I quickly realized that the stock saddle had to go so, I upgraded and added the rockshox seat post. Huge improvement. This bike was so smoothe on the road that I found myself riding on pavement more than dirt! I purchased a second set of wheels fitted with the Fatboy tyres and with these on, this bike has become a fantastic roadie as well. On the trail, this thing climbs great and steers well on downhill sections. Head shok works great, with nice even damping. A pretty sweet bike that can practically do it all !

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   first "real" bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized saddle, Rock shox seatpost, Easton carbon bars, Shimano 540 wheels, Specialized Fat boys, Speedplay frogs,

Submitted by wes from houston texas

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    really light, headshok is cool once you get used to it.

Weaknesses:    the cranks on this bike suck!!! its because cannondale uses a road bottom bracket. my cranks click and creek all the time. the tires are weak for anything except a nice paved trail. weird frame design means that your seatpost will be extended to around 12".

Bottom Line:
this bike is cool for a weekend ride around the block with your family. it is clearly not designed for any type of aggressive use. i dont know what i was thinking when i got this thing, i entended on fixing it up with some hi end components but i think a new bike would be cheaper and smarter.

Favorite Trail:   the one thats not flooded

Similar Products Used:   gt i-drive 4.0, rocky mountain oxygen

Bike Setup:   stock with profile design stiffy stem, yeti DH riser bars, wtb velociraptor tires

Submitted by REZ a Downhiller from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Light, out of the box.
Climbs, climbs, climbs.

Weaknesses:    Coda.
Travel on the headshock
Tires

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Light and fast out of the box. Climbs very well. The head-shock works well but could have some more travel. The tires that came on my bike were terrible. The shop needed to replace the bottom two chain-rings after two months and the entire crank set after two more months. I think that this is a good bike for someone looking for a light, cross-country rig.

Similar Products Used:   Giant
Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   New tires
new crank

Submitted by Luke a Weekend Warrior from maine, USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    Light. Well mannered on any trail you throw at it; tracks well. Climbs well. Excellent fork (looove that Fatty) Good looking. Cool paint, which appears to be bomb proof from the few knocks I've given it so far.

Weaknesses:    I don't know? Some would say Coda, but I've had no problems and no complaints.
One recommendation would be to have the Fatty knob switched over to the Lefty version. Mine had the round Fatty knob on it at first, but it's a pain to use on the fly. Had it switched before I bought it.

Bottom Line:
I love it. Maybe it just comes down to personal preference over my Trek, but this bike feels so much better.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Stock. Trying to decide on a good disk setup.

Submitted by JACKYL a Cross Country Rider from Staten Island NY

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2000

Strengths:    Light and agile. Love that copper color! Stiff as a gent during his first slow dance.

Weaknesses:    The stock wheelset. Not so pleased with the coda pedals.

Bottom Line:
This was my first upgrade. I was extatic with the bike from day one. During the first week I picked a bad line and put a dent in the rear rim. From then on had to true the thing every ride. As the months went on, I had to true it during rides. I never bent my sucky wienman rims on the Trek. After 6 months of serious riding the rear rim now resembles a parellogram.(sp) I'm going to xt hubs on 517s. I love the tires contrary to previous reviews. They grip and grab on every thing but wet slick rock. I'm going to try the Panaracer fire xc though for a change. The pedals have really sticky bearings that don't allow them to rotate freely. I have always have trouble with releasing with them. Maybe due to my inexperiance, Maybe not. The stand over hight was a judgement call. The Trek had less room but I was starting to ride more techical stuff. I ended up going from a large to a med. The only this is that the seat post is now almost at full extention. I would definately recommend this bike to anyone looking to make thier first serious upgrade. Just be sure to spec the components to suit your needs. In my case the wheels and pedels have to go. Possiblely a longer seat post, maybe suspension.
One last thing, the left side crank arm kept coming loose on me at first. The shop tried to fix it then ended up replaceing it all free of charge. Just the way it should be.
Ratings take a hit due to sucky rims. Four flaming hochcows.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 830 with a RST air shock

Bike Setup:   Stone stock. Mavic 221 rims. Misquito tires.

Submitted by WeedHopper a Weekend Warrior from LA, CA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2000

Strengths:    Very Rigid, Headshock tracks extremely well ! Light, climbs great. Great bike for tight singletrack. Love the comp. Blue color.Lockout is nice on the Headshock getting back and forth from the trail.

Weaknesses:    CODA, CODA, CODA ! I wish that Cannondale would just stick to making frames and leave the other stuff to the people that do it best ! Also, if you get a Cannondale, MAKE SURE IT IS SPEC'd correctly ! I ended up with Weinmann rims instead of Mavic and and EX1 crank instead of an EX3. I'm told this happens alot, especially early in the model year. If you are going to be riding hard you probably want to upgrade the LX items to at least XT.

Bottom Line:
Great feeling bike, fit me perfectly, light, perfect for tight singletrack. In between the super stiff frame and the Headshock (Great tracking, not too plush though) this can be a punishing ride on the wrong trail. You will get used to picking a smooth line going downhill !!! Climbs outstanding, very quick handling. Love the look and the color. If you are riding alot be prepared to upgrade the CODA (crap) and LX components.

Favorite Trail:   Chesebro Canyon

Similar Products Used:   TREK 8000, GT Avalanche, Spec. Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Replaced seat (Selle Italia Flight), brakes (XTR), Wheels (Crossride), Tires (Python Golds). Will be replacing crank and upgrading LX stuff soon.

Submitted by miles a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2000

Strengths:    headshock fatty DL
"on the fly lock out"
Coda components
very stiff and rigid

Weaknesses:    seat is too thin
handlbars are too straight
tires are terrible
LX components

Bottom Line:
great bike!
Cannondale could improve on a couple things like the tires and the seat. Great deal for your money! Don't get no crappy stupid trek wannabe bike or some other dumb bike the cannondale800 is the way to go all the way!

Cannondale kicks but all the way

Favorite Trail:   n/a

shimano XT-LX
Coda components

Submitted by Fraser a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2000

Strengths:    I have only owned a few bikes so far and this is a major jump for me.I worked all summer for this bike and once I got it I was amazed at how it handled on the trails behind the LBS.the lockout shock is definatly the best and as long as one of the lefty knobs are added to replace the hard to turn original then it's perfect.I'm still getting used to the lack of flex in the bike but it can only be a good thing compared to my older bike.
-V-BRAKES!! v brakes are much easier to fix and considering the bike shop around the corner doesn't understand how to fix the cannondale disc brakes then it's easy enough to fix it yourself or take it down to them.plus the feel isn't mushy and you feel connected to the bike.

Weaknesses:    the seat is a pain in the butt! kinda skinny for my ass so I replaced it with one of the crotch saving liberators that are supposed to be good for the groin.it's kinda wide but it does the job well
-the 9 speed cassette is too big and I really dislike the rubbing when you're in the opposite gears from the angle of the chain.
-the handlebars aren't wide enough to accomodate someone's hand with the addition of bar ends.I had to get my LBS to switch the handle for no extra cost so that I can hold the bar tight without accidentally gripping the rapid fire shifters.

Bottom Line:
Damn good bike! costs a bit but damn good! take it for a spin before you buy and you'll notice how everything fits together to give you an almost perfect out of the package machine.the ridgidity of the frame is strange but my old frame had lots of flex so it's something to get used to and should be expected.I got th enice brown color! not my fav but hides the dirt and isn't that bad considering it' s just a color of a bike not your entire wardrobe.

The Bottom line:
Great bike for the money.Do your research and you'll see why it's so great.
I give it 5 flamin piles of crap!

Favorite Trail:   hanging out around UBC

Purchased At:   BSP

Similar Products Used:   nothing very similar
norco screamer P.O.S. is the closest

Bike Setup:   stock except for the following...
-extended seat post (the frame size is barely suitable because large is too large so medium it was.the seat posts needed extending so I switched it all together.)
-fenders (a must in B.C. climates)
-wider handlebars to accomodate barends and my hands without accidentally switching
-lefty lock-out knob instead of the original for more grip and leverage when switching (especially downhill)

Submitted by kyle a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Strengths:    -Great Frame
-Great Fork (Fatty DL)
-Light

Weaknesses:    -A little trouble with the crank after my first ride with the bike.
-LX front derailleur takes too long to upshift

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the price. IRC Notos tires didnt grab much on tight turns, so i got the python's.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for my awesome hutchinson python gold tires. Looks awesome. Easy to pass off for a team bike.

Submitted by Geoff Ovens a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Strengths:    This is a follow up on a previous posting That can be found in the 1999 F800 section even thought my F800 is a 2000, site error?

Weaknesses:    Fixed every one i found

Bottom Line:
This was already a great bike and a great value now it just better and far lighter probably around 22lbs. probably should have just got a F100sl that would have been cheaper but not as much fun and not at all original

Favorite Trail:   New Light

Performance Lunarlite tubes
Speedplay Frogs pedals

Submitted by Wes a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2000

Strengths:    Nice light frame, great suspension fork, good components, wheelset is very nice, great all-around bike.

Weaknesses:    tires (i got the mosquitos), they work well on road, but aren't so nice on mountain trails, they are already starting to wear out.

Bottom Line:
if you looking for a nice 24 pound bike and want to not spend 2500 dollars, buy this bike. It climbs extremely well and the blue color is exellent. This is a great bike for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Hobby Park

Similar Products Used:   trek y-3

Bike Setup:   stock for now

Submitted by Arne Bjørnvolden a Weekend Warrior from Hønefoss, Norway

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2000

Strengths:    Light frame, XT rear, Nice colors (team blue) and good paintwork. And of course the Head-Shok Fatty with lock-out possibiliti.

Weaknesses:    LX front derailler is a little bit "low end" on this bike. Stock tires: In Europe Cdale state Hutchinson Mosquito, but my bike came with IRC Notos. They both get bad reviews so i changed to Mosquito Python Air Light.

Bottom Line:
This is my first "real" MTB. The frame is brilliant. Coda components have a good quality feel. The Fatty works well if right adjusted, but it almost never feels necessary to lock out the suspension. Before i got this bike, i did not know it was possible that biking on forestry roads with up and downs could be so fun. Especially climbing ability is great. Everything works, and i plan to upgrade when and if components wears out. You have the CAAD 3 frame anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Nordmarka/Ringerike