Cannondale 2000 F1000 SL Hardtail Bike

4.74/5 (39 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Headshok Fatty Ultra DL, 2.75" travel fork

Submitted by Johnnatan Ruiz

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2013

Strengths:    Hand made in USA, light, strong, beautiful frame

Bottom Line:
I just buy this bike from 3 diferent owners... the firt time i see it in a photo i say my self: this will be mine because i always want a cannondale bike with a headshok fork. Now, i'm very happy and spend a few bucks in it, shimano mt65 wheelset, tubeless maxis larsen tt, shimano xtr brakes, crankset, etc... now is a 23 lb. bike, is fast, climbs like a 4x4... i just love it, i think hand made bike like this... every penny.

Submitted by Erich Harvey a Cross Country Rider from Cranston, RI

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2005

Strengths:    Super light, strong and stiff frame, Excellent climber, Avid V-brakes (work great when new), XT front derailleur, XTR rear derailleur, awesome looks.

Weaknesses:    Headshock (not a lot of travel and difficult to replace), Coda Pedals, Grip Shift, Stock tires

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! If you are looking for a light weight, high quality bike under 2k, This is will fit the bill.

The CAAD 4 Frame is strong, stiff and beautiful. But if I was building this bike from scratch would make a few changes. First, replace grip shift with XT or XTR index shifters. (It is too difficult to switch gears in a corner while braking.) Second, I would pick Shimano clipless pedals. The coda pedals never really felt secure and now that they are 5 years old, they loosen up on each ride. (What do you expect after 5 years though??) 3rd, I would prefer a Rock Shock fork or similar that can easily be swapped out with another aftermarket fork to suit your terrain and/or riding style. (The headshock can be replaced, but I hear it will change your ride height and mess up you geometry.)

Besides regular maintenance, I have only had to replace the seat post. I bought the large size frame and am 6'2". Because of the dramatic sloping top tube, I have had to extend the seat post pretty far out of the seat tube. 225lbs is a bit too heavy for the coda seat post extended this far out of the tube, and I bent it. I replaced it with an XTR post and have had no more problems. (If you are tall and heavy - look for a XL frame.)

Besides the seat post and regular maintenance, this bike has been flawless! I have not experienced any splitting of the rims and the Coda Hubs and radial laced front wheel have been superb! (I haven't had to true them at all!)

I would have given this bike a 5 for value if it included index shifters, better pedals, and more aggressive tires.

I would have given a 5 for overall rating but it would take a longer travel fork, Disc Brakes, Index shifters, Shimano pedals, a stronger seat post, and grippy tires to be perfect. Still the bike is fantastic and I can not go lower than 4 flaming chilies.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tom - Arcadia

Purchased At:   Lombardi's in San Fran

Similar Products Used:   94 Specialized Rockhopper 96 Trek 8000 hardtail, 96 Cannondale M800 (built up with aftermarket parts)

Bike Setup:   this review is pre- upgrades except for XTR seatpost.

Submitted by Chester Thomas a Cross Country Rider from Vilseck, Germany

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, Light, very FAST. Excellent customer service.

Weaknesses:    limited suspension options. Poor headset design

Bottom Line:
I've owned this bike for about three years and have ridden it all over the world and I love it. It climbs like a scared monkey and just flat out flies everywhere else. It's almost like cheating. I like the head shok but it would be nice to have more options and I eat a headset about every year. Whoever says the hard tail is dead hasn't ridden my bike. There are less priced bikes out there but are they as sexy, I think not.

Favorite Trail:   Leo Jobst Weg, Pottenstein Ge

Purchased At:   Red River Cyclery, Alex. La

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Cadenza,C'dale F600,HM FSL

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR, RACEFACE CRANKS, CROSS ROC UST WHEELS, AVID BRAKES

Submitted by Don Pyle a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, quality of finish

Bottom Line:
In the two years I have owned my Cannondale F1000SL, I have learned what a quality bike is - like so many others. In addition, they have a terrific service organisation. So in the theoretical sense, its five flaming chilis from me!

My gripe is that perhaps this was not the bike that suited me and my needs - and maybe the shop where I bought it shoud have been more helpful in guiding me.

I was bitten by this sport five years ago. I am a heavy rider - 240 lbs. The shop did not provide me with any advice as to whether this was the bike for me or not. They just wanted to make a sale.

After two years I must say that the Ultra DL headshock is not designed for heavier riders like me. I have had it overhauled a couple of times and replaced a month ago. I ride 50/50 offroad/road and thus have a need to use both lockout and shock. The weakness seems to be that that in lockout position, the shock does not bear my weight, especially when I am biking agressively.

So no matter how great the bike is inherently - and this one is - it is only great as it relates to me. Am I right? Does anyone out there have a viewpoint on this?

Favorite Trail:   Nordmarka

Purchased At:   Oslo Sportslager

Bike Setup:   Fizik saddle, Thompson Elite seatpost, mostly XTR components

Submitted by CA Morris a Cross Country Rider from Lubbock, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, responsiveness, power transfer, handling, Fork adjustability

Weaknesses:    Coda Brakes, Coda seatpost, Coda handle bar, Coda seat

Bottom Line:
Changing to a carbon bar and better seat will take a lot of the the bum beating you get from the lighter frame. People who complain about the handling on rocks and roots can fix these problems by changin the setup. I do not ride a lot of rock gardens or bad roots, so the seat takes care of my problem, but I have ridden simular frame with a suspension seat post and it was much nicer to my bum.

As with most bikes and riders this bike is much better profomrer than I am, but it will make an average cyclist perform above average. It is so repsonsive that at first I actually steered the bike off the trail. Coming from my old cromoly moab that handling took some adjustment.

Test ride before you buy, and get a pump to adjust the fork. Setup is everything.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with trees and tight corners

Purchased At:   Boone, NC

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Moab/XT, '98 Cannondale team/XTR & M300/LX&XT

Bike Setup:   Easton Carbon bar, salsa seat post, Avid carbon v-brakes, Sella ergo seat (a must if you do not want a suspen-post)

Submitted by Omar a Cross Country Rider from Mexico

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Strengths:    Very light, super stiff frame, great fork

Weaknesses:    Pedals (Coda) and Hutchinson Mosquito tires

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money, very light weight just 22 lb with the cross max on it. The fork is super stiff and I bealive that no other fork in this range could compare to it.
The frame is super stiff and climbs better than any other bike I've tried.
Coda pedals suck, so change them as soon as you can.

Purchased At:   ProBike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 8500

Bike Setup:   Changed wheels for mavic cross max non-UST, Phyton tires, avid arch rival brakes, Selle Italia Flite Ti saddle, Time Atac Carbon pedals

Submitted by Tech50 a Weekend Warrior from Monroe,LA,USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent Frame and fork,Light,quick,good climber

Weaknesses:    Coda components,paints chips

Bottom Line:
I've been very pleased with the bike. Especially since I found it at a pawn shop for $400 in mint condition. It didn't burn me when test road it so I figured it was ok. Its a little hairy downhill. Not as comfortable as my old Specialized but a better performer.

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Park

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek

Bike Setup:   XT rear, LX front,coda crankset

Submitted by David Kunz a Cross Country Rider from Monrovia, MD

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Strengths:    Agile, climbs well, well made.

Weaknesses:    Mavic rims. Over time, they develop cracks or split inside (you can tell when they split because your brakes start to go thump-thump as the pass the spot that's split...).

Bottom Line:
I've put over 10k miles on this bike. I ride a lot 40-70 miles almost every day -- road, dirt road, trail, mountain trail, rocky mountain trail. This is an amazing bike that I would recommend to everyone. It's light, maneuverable, turns on a dime, climbs like a goat and is a solid performer. And, you can lock out the forks when you're on the road riding to the trails. As I've worn things out, I've gradually upgraded to XTR components, but the stock components were fine. The only weakness is the mavic rear rims -- the alloy used is too brittle and over time they develop stress cracks or split. I've gone through 3 in the year that I've had the bike -- all replaced under warranty. But, since it's now out of warranty, I'll be using something other than Mavic!!!
Also, I loved that Ultra Fatty head shock. Light, responsive, can be locked out. And, if you're careful, you can turn the lock-out just a little and get a stiffer fork for the times when you want just a little damping. But, the lefty that I just got is truly amazing. It just eats up the trial and the adjustable damping lets me tune the ride for the conditions -- ON THE FLY :).

Favorite Trail:   any and all!

Purchased At:   Mt Airy Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   GT, Specialized, Trek, Kline

Bike Setup:   Replaced drivetrain with all XTR as I wore things out. Lucked into a used lefty fork a month ago :).

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from West Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Strengths:    Great product spec. Light weight. Climbs like a beast.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find.

Bottom Line:
I set out to purchase a 2001 F600 disc, which turned out to be the same price. The dealer had this 2000 leftover and made me a deal I couldn't refuse. For racing, the CAAD 4 frame is as about as good as it gets at this price range. In addition to the F600 disc, I tried the Klien Attitude Comp. To be honest, it ended up being a tossup between the Klein and the Cannondale. Lets be honest, you can't go wrong with either. The Cannondale seemed to have a slightly better component mix, while the Klein has the superior frame (not that the F1000 frame is bad). Klein is just in another universe when it comes to frame design. No major manufacturer can touch them in my humble opinion.

But back to the Cannondale..... Like I said, I love the bike. It suits my needs for racing. Contrary to some of the other reviews I have read, the bike really does perform well on rocky, rooty, technical singletrack. The headshok is a great suspension fork. I don't know if I'll ever buy another Judy or SID.

If you want a well made bike that is light and fast look no further.

Purchased At:   Cycling Concepts

Similar Products Used:   Own a 1999 GT I-Drive (old reliable).

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for XT Hollowtech cranks (and splined BB)and IRC Mythos tires.

Submitted by Tan Thiam Hock a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    Ultralight weight, fast...very fast, nice color and stiff.
Good front suspension.

Weaknesses:    Seatpost, and some of the lower end components.

Bottom Line:
I think its the best hardtail at any price. Its so light that it makes peddling so easy. Tried my friend's Specialised M4 , although good but it isn't as fast or smooth as the F1000sl. The GT and Trek simply couldn't match the F1000sl.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500, GT zaskar and Specialised M4

Bike Setup:   All originals except for easton carbon seatpost and XTR front der.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Memphis

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Strengths:    light, nice geometry, good compononents and 2X9 is great. Also love the headshock.

Weaknesses:    Not much. So far the CODA Expert parts are holding up great. Crank arm bolt started loosening and caused an awful creak, but a few twists of the allen wrench and all is well.

Bottom Line:
The bike is ultralight and ultra fast. For $1100 is was hands down the best dealout there. Looked at Trek 8500 and Klein Attitude but couldn't see paying the extra 400-500$ for more weight. The lockout is great and when I want to ride on the road, I throw some Ritchey Tom Slicks on, flip the stem and ride the road. This is a great bike for XC riding and for training on the road. I haven't riden on tight singletrack yet but I have a hunce it will handle well there too.

Purchased At:   outdoors inc

Similar Products Used:   Had an IronHorse ARS 8.0 The Cannondale is much lighter.

Bike Setup:   All stock except for an Easton seatpost, Johnny Tomac Profile bar, Selle Italia Ti seat. IRC Mythos XC Tires

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Strengths:    As stiff a hardtail as I've ever ridden; Confidence inspiring in tight, twisty, singletrack; Feather-light; Excellent climber

Weaknesses:    Sketchy in rocky, rooty singletrack - primarily a problem in descents; stiffness really puts a pounding on your back; matte-finish paint rubs off on your legs

Bottom Line:
I thought my Klein was stiff until I rode the F1000sl. This bike is made for racing on smooth hardpack - it would also work great as a commuter bike. It accelerates as well as any bike when the going is smooth. If you ride primarily rock and root filled singletrack it's not the ideal choice - I'd go for something with a little more "give" in the back. For it's designed purposes it's an excellent bike, athough I think C-Dale could have spec'd it a little better.

Favorite Trail:   New Light

Similar Products Used:   Klein Attitude HT; Mongoose HT

Bike Setup:   2x9 drivetrain; XTC Mythos tires

Submitted by Eric Brigham a Racer from Milton, Vermont

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Strengths:    Super strong, ultra stiff frame is as light as you could ever want or need. Ultra Head Shok rocks, this bike climbs and decends FAST.

Weaknesses:    Sketchy handling with stock tires, LX front derailer is out of place on this bike

Bottom Line:
This bike is a ROCKET. If there is a faster bike out there, you can't buy it for this little money. This bike is a steal at $1650.00. I picked mine up for $1399.00 and felt like I was stealing it. There is a reason there are so many of these on the racing circuit. You haven't ridden a truley fast hard tail until you've ridden a CAAD 4 frame set. The Ultra DL Head Shok eats up the small hits. If you can get by with 70MM of travel, it's the best fork out there. GET ONE NOW. Your wife or girl friend will just have to get over it.

Favorite Trail:   Catamount

Purchased At:   Ski Rack

Similar Products Used:   C-Dale Super V, Trek 950 (old style)

Bike Setup:   Full XTR set-up, CODA tarantula cranks, Syncros post and Flite titanium seat.

Submitted by Steve Edwards a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    Geometry, quality of construction/welds, headshock

Weaknesses:    Paint job, crappy LX gear up front, coda disc pads wear out too quickly

Bottom Line:
I've entered the last chance saloon with Cannondale after my F900 frame fractured at the rear drop out after mediocre use as well as suffering from a nasty Friday afternoon job on throwing the componentry on the bike. A sharp e-mail to C'dale (USA - don't haggle with the importers) saw a replacement with a F1000SL (avec Fatty Ultra) frame. It now actually rides like I expect. Demon quick along the flats and gets to work on the climbs with no questions asked(although the Mosquitos struggle on gravel and grit). Handles like a road bike in its accuracy and placement. I'm always having to 'top' up my headshok (can never seem to maintain 150psi) so maybe means a leak somewhere. Coda discs are fine but pads wear quickly and go AWOL without too much warning.
Overall a good machine itching for greatness. Limited by a few choice components. I may, just, stick with Cannondale after all.

Favorite Trail:   Mundaring/Kalamunda

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Entrepeneur

Similar Products Used:   C'dale 1000 (98), C'dale 900 (2000), Spec. Rockhoppers, Klein Attitude Pro/Race, BMW Q5, Avanti Aggressor

Bike Setup:   Bit of mongrel this one - scavenged coda discs from my previous F900, XT all round, Thompson Elite seat post, 9x3 chain ring set from F900, Hutchison Mosquitos

Submitted by A G a Racer from Milwaukee, WI - USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Strengths:    Price, HeadShock, Rims, Paint (Custom)

Weaknesses:    Some CODA components, LX front

Bottom Line:
Well, after I was able to get a custom painted frame, the deal was on. Had to lose most of the CODA stuff, not that it's bad, but wanted better. For the price, it's a steal, the lock out fork, it's a dream. Bike handles better than I thought. Was old school, didn't want to go to a HeadShock, but rode one, liked it, went for the deal. Gotta admit, probably will never go back to a standard "Rock Shok" type of fork. So I guess I stay with Cannondale.
This gets the ultimate flame - 5,000 BTU's!!

Favorite Trail:   Southern Kettle