Cannondale 1999 F 2000 SX Hardtail Bike

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Cannondale F 2000 SX

Submitted by proFeign a Weekend Warrior from sf, ca

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff, nice build

Weaknesses:    worst. brakes. ever.

Bottom Line:
After using this bike the brakes suck. Due to the closed system hydraulics if they bike is sitting in the sun for a little bit the fluid/cable thickness expands and the brakes grab the disks and you have to put the bike in the shade for a while until you can ride it(!)

They modulate well but lack power, and I'd actually prefer v-brakes to these.

I went cheap on my new bike and have deore shimano disks and they kick the codas' arses. Whatever you do don't get a bike with these brakes. Great suspension tho. Don't let cannondale give you any coda componentry except the frame/seat tube/handlebars. The only moving coda part should be the fork.

Just say no to:
CODA brakes
CODA hubs
CODA cranks
CODA shifters

I give this bike two chilis because if you can't make it stop it's not a good bike to buy.

Word.

proFeign

Favorite Trail:   mt tam

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   see other post

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Parsippany, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    Great components for the price, lightweight, lefty is wonderful. Suspension seat post is a "bonus". entry-level disc brakes, excellent compared to traditional brakes though

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I used to be into Mountain biking heavily. I had to stop for a while due to medical reasons, but I am back now and when I went looking for a bike, I wanted a hardtail with a lockout on the front suspension so I could do street riding with a pair of slicks.
(I still don't think that a full suspension bike is necessary for my riding style unless I become an expert rider or I am doing serious downhills)
I wanted to spend about $1500, but when I started shopping, I saw the F2000SX. After reviewing the features and the cost of buying a less expensive bike and upgrading, it seemed that the F2000SX was the best choice for the value and quality. The only reservation I had was related to the Lefty which looked very strange but oddly enough, it is the smoothest travel with the most balanced feel I have ridden.
I have seen just about every range of rider on this bike (some with modifications)
All in all I love this bike. Now that I am starting to ride more aggressively again, I am going to upgrade to a 2 or 4 piston disc brake set for better stopping power and that is about it. A bike that has that type of brake system on it standard is usually about $1,000 more becuase it also comes with other more advanced compnents that I do not need for my type of riding.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500, 8900

Bike Setup:   Factory config. Thinking about upgrading brake system

Submitted by Kai Sujiphinyo a Weekend Warrior from Pattaya, Thailand

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2000

Strengths:    Light frame with lefty fork, nice American flags paint on bike, stiffness

Bottom Line:
All money I spend on this bike the out come was great for me. This bike is a great climber. Coda Expert Disc work very well. (never fade since I got this bike) Hutchinson Python Gold a little bit heavier but it's give me a better control than stock tires. (IRC Notos foldable) Five burning chilis for me.

Favorite Trail:   Yucaipa CA

Similar Products Used:   Klein, Trek

Bike Setup:   Frame M-size CADD4
Frame- M-size CAAD4 Fork- headShok Lefty Rims- Sun DS-1 Hubs- Coda Exp Tires- Hutchinson Python Gold 26*2.0 Pedals- Bontrager RE-1 Crank-Raceface 22/32/44 Chain-Shimano xtr Rear Cogs-Shinmano xtr 12-34 Bottom Bracket- Raceface Cromo Front-Rear Derailleur- Shimano xtr Shifters-Shimano xtr/w Shimano flightdeck Handlebars- Easton Monkey Lite Carbon Stem- CODA but reverse upside down Headset-Brakeset-Brakelevers-all CODA expert Saddle-Volvo-Cannondale Ti Seatpost- Thomsom 31.6

Submitted by frankie a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2000

Strengths:    Light (24.5# with real tires), stiff and everybody wants to try it.

Weaknesses:    Everybody wants to try it.

Bottom Line:
6 months and 1800+ miles later... the brakes could use a bleeding, the fork could use a little servicing and the bike creaks everywhere... But not a damned thing BROKE. Sally Ann (her name) and I look forward to muddy times together this winter.

I'll keep my Evil-corporation-but-weighs-under-25-pounds-with-discs-and-4-inch-fork bike. You can have yer overpriced-but-it's-got-a-"North Shore"-image-pig-of-a-30-pound-freeride(lol)-bike.

Ok you guys who make a living out of posting low reviews for brands you hate can flame us now.

Similar Products Used:   Judy XC (ewww)

Bike Setup:   Large size F2000SX stock 'cept for Monkey Lite bar 2.1 Velociraptors, Thomson post, Flite saddle and TIME pedals.

Submitted by profeign a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1999

Strengths:
I got a deal on it
Great geometry
Lefty is pretty cool

Weaknesses:
Even though I got a deal it was freaking expensive

Bottom Line:
This bike it pretty damn cool. I'm a newcomer to the air fork & disc brake scene but they both have their strengths. Anyway, I've been very impressed with this bike in all ways but it is a little bit heavy considering its componentry (26.5#). So it actually isn't the best but the lefty and the paint and quality speak for themselves. Good sheet cannondale. Five burning (insert clever interpretation here).

GT LTS
SC Chameleon
Yeti Arc (best bike ever)

All stock but:
XTR front shifter
XTR Cranks
SRAM Chain

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1999

Strengths:
Great climber (CAAD4), Great Lefty steering precision, Great Lefty fork, Great Coda and Shimano components, Great CODA suspension seat post, Great American Flag fade paint scheme

Weaknesses:
zip, zero, nada, none

Bottom Line:
All this hype everyone is talking about with the Lefty being recalled and stuff is hogwash if you ask me and I know I am not the only one sticking up for the Lefty. The Lefty is just plainly a great fork. Cannondale's frames especially the CAAD4 are well known for there stiffness, climbing, and acceleration. The Coda Expert disc brakes modulate great under any condition and are always predictable. The Hutchinson Mosquito tires look like they are slicks but I was surprised, they hooked up on everything and turned great.

Lynn Hardy

Bottom Bracket- Shimano Ultegra
Front Derailleur- Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur- Shimano XTR
Shifters- Shimano XT
Handlebars- Easton CT2 Carbon (straight bar)
Stem- CODA HeadShok
Headset- CODA HeadShok
Brakeset- CODA Expert Disc
Brakelevers- CODA Expert Disc
Saddle- CODA Expert Mountain Saddle
Seatpost- CODA Suspension
Color- USA Fade: Lightning White/Atlantic Blue front Fade (gloss) with red/white/blue QuadWrap decals
Size- Small

Submitted by Tony a Cross-Country Rider from Adelaide, South Australia

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1999

Strengths:
Super Stiff & Light frame, Ridgid Fork, Disc Brakes, & overall setup

Weaknesses:
Finish on bike is too nice to get dirty.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome!!!! After having a dual suspension, I was relucatant to to to a Hard Tail, but after the first ride all my fears were gone. The Lefty fork is super smooooth and is by far the most rigid fork I have ever tried. The disk brakes have tons of power and are easy to set up & adjust. The frame is very light, but also very rigid with no signs of flex. This thing just goes like hell on any track, up hills or down. Its so responsive single tracks are a breeze, and as for climbing, I havent even needed the bottom ring yet!!!I was very sceptical of paying so much for this bike as I though Cannondale's were over priced, but now I can see why so many people rave about their bikes. Definately the best bike I've ever had. Well done Cannondale!!!!

Specialized FSR Comp

All original, except for the addition of a set of Profile Bar-Ends

Submitted by Danny a Cross-Country Rider from Bangkok Thailand

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Strengths:
Great Fork easy to adjust, Nice American flag frame, Seatpost sus, Neat look ,fast

Weaknesses:
Noisy rear hub

Bottom Line:
I was very satisfied when I ride on it. All CODA components work well for me. For Lefty headshok compare to other headshok that I used. I think, lefty is not too bad. Lefty headshok easily to adjust
even you ride on it. Anyway, I did pay alot for this bike with all upgrade staffs. One thing that I don't
like is a noise from rear hub that can get attention with all kinds of dog on the street that I ride along. !! Some of them chase me then I sprint out.

Gary Fisher, Trek

Rear Cogs, Chain, Front-RearDerailleur Bottom Bracket all XTR and CODA disc.