Caloi 2001 Sigma Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Scroll CopyBoy a Weekend Warrior from Craig, Colo., USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2005

Strengths:    Frame lasts forever. Stiff Aluminum responds well on climbs especially. The truth is, I bought a 1998 Caloi Sigma in 1998. I've had it for eight years now and it's still rockin'. I can still outclimb just about anyone I ride with (even though they're all amateurs).

Weaknesses:    Components imperfect, but what do you get for $450???? Specifically not a fan of the gripshifters. Seat started coming apart after 6 years. I've gone through a lot of rims, chains, pedals, you name it, but the frame is SOLID!!!

Bottom Line:
Really solid affordable frame. I don't think they exist anymore, but it's too bad, because it's a sweet bike. The frame geometry really suits climbing, and, really, what is XC all about? If you can't keep up on the climbs then forget it. Probably not a downhill or freestyle bike. Good on the pavement as a commuter. I can still get it up to 25 mph for the traffic.

Favorite Trail:   Kelly Canyon/TableRock

Purchased At:   Bicycles Now, Aurora, Colo.