Brodie 2001 Catalyst Hardtail Bike

3.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by thebronze a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Strengths:    Design, geometry, tange prestige tubing, climbing ability, breeze drop ins, s bend seat stays, brake boss caps, cable guide for ft. derailleur, light weight for steel...

Weaknesses:    Finish is poor, paint chips easily and isnt durable, long head tube(i got the xl)

Bottom Line:
Probably the best steel frame for the money. I wanted an IF or soulcraft but cant justify the price, so I looked to Cananda for good exchange rates and found this. The frame has a great history and its nice to know Brodie has been around for awhile.
I rode a rm hammer all summer and looked to upgrade. This is a far better frame, and costs about the same. Its much lighter than the hammer, by at least a pound, and is also better looking. It climbs a ton better than the hammer and seems plenty stable at speed. It handles well and is very flickable and responsive.
The breeze drop ins are awesome and i'm impressed with the tubing, welds, and cable guides but not the finish which has chipped.
If you want a great steel frame for less than half of what a soulcraft or IF will cost you, try one of these. Its very similar to the rocky hammer and blizzard but the geometry seems a tad different and is a better value. While the finish on mine(gloss black) was sub par it still looks good and is an incredible value. I scored the frame on sale at John Henry for around $300 American. Try brodies website store if you are looking for one.

Similar Products Used:   Rocky mountain hammer

Bike Setup:   MX Comp, Hope Wheels, Avid disc brake/rim

Submitted by shaun from wpg

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to qualify my initial review where I called the bike jumpy. Having moved from Marzocchi Z3L's to the stock Marzocchi MXC Air, I find that it doesn't soak up the small stuff like the Z3L's did (which seems reasonable since I'm comparing apples to oranges). I also recently swapped out the seat (which I had originally swapped from my roadie) in favor of a Selle Italia Oktavia. Ah, it's a much more pleasant ride.

As well, one has to remember that I was moving from dual suspension (RM Element Race, I'll always miss you). Hope that helps?!

Submitted by shaun from winnipeg, manitoba, canada

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Strengths:    Tange Prestige Custom butted Cro-moly (quad butted on the down tube (I'm told), double on the seat and top), Shimano M535 wheelset. Light fork (under 4 pounds).

Bottom Line:
Take note that this is a review for a 2002 Catalyst and not the 2001.

There was only 1/2 degree seperations in head and seat tube angles between this bike (my models actually a 2002 model) and similar Rocky Mtn. hardtail. Went with this one as it was in my budget (the Rocky Blizzard was $600 over, I would've had to wait until next year's season to order the Hammer for an extra $300 which I didn't have). I didn't think the 1/2 degree either way would make a huge difference. Paul Brodie used to weld for Rocky, there are ALOT of similarities between these bikes (not that this bike is made in Canada).

Considering I was moving down from dual suspension (due to a car accident), this bike has proved itself a fairly capable performer. Seems a little jumpy than what I was used to, but I remember trying an Oury, and it was nowhere near as bad (thought I was going to be thrown out of the Oury). Perhaps I'll get a RS suspension post and learn how to ride a little better (maybe even a better seat too).

Light-ish, fairly agile. They were smart about where they put their money into the bike. Nice frame and fork, sexy (yet functional) wheels, even a usable stock seat! The smaller, less expensive components can always be upgraded when they crap out. It seems they wanted to build a bike with a solid foundation that people could ride from the get-go. I say, well done!

I give a 4 for value, considering it was an end-of season sale, and a conservative 3(+) overall as I know I've got a few changes to personalize the bike (seatpost, handlebars, derailleurs). A good buy if you can find it, 2002 was the last production year :( (frame is still available last I heard)

It's getting nearly impossible to find a good cro-moly bike these days. And when you're nearly 200 pounds like me, it starts to matter!

Similar Products Used:   Marin Nail Trail until it was stolen.

Bike Setup:   Stock - deore components throughout, Shimano M535 wheelset, Marzocchi MXC Air 80mm. Swapped saddle (WTB tri-lite) to make my roadie an enjoyable ride instead of the suffer-fest it was.