Bianchi 2000 WannaBee Hardtail Bike

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

Submitted by Thall36

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2013

Strengths:    Super light easton frame, great looks, ahead of its time.

Weaknesses:    Set up for vbrakes grip shifters

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike for $150 as it was 12 years old. Almost everything was original to the bike but it all worked. It is still one of the lightest bikes I have ever ridden. I have since upgraded a few components to modernize it. It still works great. Even the old yellow Judy xc still works like a charm.

Submitted by Kyle McKendree a Cross Country Rider from Bay City, MI, United States

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, stiff frame; great on the climbs. super smooth marzochi Z3 soaks up the ruff stuff.

Weaknesses:    stock wtb saddle and grip shift(works great but im a rapid fire man). First time on spd peddles

Bottom Line:
Great ride that will climb and still take all the hits u can through at it. very fun ride once i got used to the spd system, lots of fun

Favorite Trail:   stubway

Purchased At:   friends garage\ Bell's Cycle and fitness

Similar Products Used:   mesa gsx, mesa gs, rincon, 4900, iguana

Bike Setup:   stock sram 7.0 deore front, grip shift stock spd wtb saddle tires marzochi z3........ stock bike

Submitted by Coda a Cross Country Rider from Grass Valley, CA, US

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2000

Strengths:    - great specs for the money
- nice color
- great little fat bee guy on it
- stiff frame
- good geometry
- comes in big man sizes (21.5!)

Weaknesses:    - cranks suck (when I sprint the chainrings grind against the front derailleur)
- I don't like Gripshift
- Supergo had the Judy set up for someone who weighs 160lbs. It's a 21.5" frame. Boingy boingy.
- generic stock parts make me nervous
- THE SEAT IS EVIL

Bottom Line:
I used to be really into mountain biking and recently I had enough money to get back into it. I looked around, saw the Supergo deal and went for it. I replaced the rear derailleur and shifters right off the back since I don't like Gripshift (just a personal preference). I had to replace the Koski Saddle Of Death since the damn seams on the fastback part were tearing up my tender of tenders. Next up will be the cranks, since I bend those like pretzels when I sprint.

Another thing that bugged me was that the 21.5" bike came with forks set up for someone who weighs 160lbs. I weigh 235, and it should be fairly obvious that someone who rides a 21.5 isn't going to be light. As a result, until I got the springs replaced with the big man coils I had to ride around bobbing up and down like an '82 El Dorado on the freeway. That and when I made quick stops or hit the bottoms of whoop-de-doos at any speed the fork would bottom out, shifting my weight way way forward. Almost piled it in that way. Personally, I think bikes should come ready to ride and be as well-adjusted as possible. I can understand it if they decide to save $70 and stay with the stock coils - it's a bargain bike.

As far as the money goes, it's 5 spicy turds. It's a great spec on a solid frame. Definitely not the highest quality, but for the money it's awesome. Overall, I'm giving it 4 spicy poops, since the crappy saddle made my ass sore for a couple of days and let's face it: $700 can only get you so much bike.

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Bike Setup:   WannaBee '00 (duh) w/ XT rear derailleur & shifters, old SPD pedals, Bontrager bar ends, Terry seat (yum), and mud streaks

Submitted by Matt Kleinschmidt a Cross Country Rider from La Crosse, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2000

Strengths:    The guy that i bought it from works at a shop and he had the brakes upgraded to XTR brakes and XT levers. They work like a dream. I have a suspension seat post on it. Light weight, great buy for the money. The Judy is an excellent shock, I have yet to bottom it out or have any other trouble with it. I was apprehensive about the SRAM 7.0's but I have gotten used to it and now I love them.

Weaknesses:    I thought that the riser bar made it a bit difficult to climb. Switched to a straight Xcountry bar and I lowered the stem by putting the spacers on top, now it climbs like a billy-goat. The suspension seat was on it when I got it. I think that it helps with all the little bumps and allows me to stay in the saddle on bumpy sections. I definetly reccomend it as this is a very rigid bike. The post makes an annoying squeak but that is my own fault. The XTR brakes get noisy when they heat up. Kinda like a grinding squeak, and it's not because I need new pads. I cut the half pipe shifter off so that they didn't stick out so far because the bike would shift as I tried to pull it up and down on the trail. It solved the problem.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. I love it and I won't buy another bike for a long time. This bike has taken all that I have thrown at it. I have crashed it (good and hard) quite a few times and it takes everything. Nice and light, a great bike for the price and it only really needs minimal upgrades. It handles very well. It looks killer, and no one else that I know has one. I have gottena lot of Compliments about this bike. I love it!!!!

Purchased At:   Used From a Friend

Similar Products Used:   This is my first real mountain bike. I had an Iron Horse before this which was heavy and had crappy parts.

Bike Setup:   XTR brakes, XT levers, Rock Shox suspension seat post. Put Continental tires on, Explorer Pro in front and Twister Pro in back. Love em. I want to upgrade wheels. X-country bar in front.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Clackamas, OR

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2000

Strengths:    Good value product for people who have little experience in mtb riding. Great looks and have yet to find anyone else with the same bike. I haven't been riding a long time but this bike can definately handle anything that I can dish out. I have heard others talk of a squeek in the Judys but I haven't developed that in mine.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I did a lot of research on lower end mountain bikes and found this to be a lot of bike for the money without having to buy something that everyone else has (like a Raleigh M80 or M800, Schwinn Moab 3, etc). Good durable parts (I'm not a real bomber but the reviews have indicated it could be) and good looks. Definately worth considering.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   This is my first real mtb. I use to have a Huffy and rode it until I discovered there is actually a real difference between real and pretend bikes.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock - WTB rims with velociraptor tires, SRAM gearing and grip shifters, Judy XC front suspension and Wellgo clipless pedals.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, superb frame, bombproof (if a bit heavy) Judy XC shock, disc brake mounts, looks cooler than hell, gets lots of looks and questions, I like riding a bike nobody else around here has

Weaknesses:    SRAM 7.0 rear derailleur is crap. Too many plastic parts. It broke and I replaced it with a sturdier (and slightly heavier) Shimano LX. Shock makes squeaking noise. Doesn't indicate a problem and I hear it's normal but still a bit annoying.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike! Climbs like a mofo and is solid as a rock on a fast descent. It has a great mixture of parts at an excellent price. Bianchi can make an MTB that's as good as their best road bikes.

Purchased At:   World Champion Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of the LX rear derailleur.

Submitted by Stacy a Cross Country Rider from Rochester,NY

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2000

Strengths:    Handles excellent once you get rid of the WTB tires,super value for the money

Weaknesses:    Half pipe shifters suck,needed to change to a flat bar with bar ends. Tires,rims and brake are weak....upgraded needed.

Bottom Line:
All in all it a very fun bike to ride!!! Highly recommended for the beginner level racer.

Similar Products Used:   GT Psyclone

Bike Setup:   changed bars,will need to upgrade wheels,tires and brakes. Everything else is stock.

Submitted by John Donovan a Weekend Warrior from Butte, Montana, USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2000

Strengths:    Great components especially SRAM-9's, Hayes Disc Brakes, and Marzocchi QR20 shock. This bike is a Ferrari and works well on all of the conditions I have tried. Since I am heavier ( 205 lbs ), I had to air up the shocks to near maximum.

Weaknesses:    The design boys a Bianchi overlooked the clearance between the spokes and the disc brake housing - ( 1/64 inch ) I had mine shimmed at a shop so they wouldn't rub under braking load, ( $8 ). I now have about 1/8 of an inch which seems to work fine.

Bottom Line:
This is a sweet bike, mean looking, fun to ride up or down. I also have not seen many around so you won't look like everyone else either. You can't go wrong here especially if you can get a little price break. PS - I also bought one of the Wannabees and it's a screamer too and a lot cheaper.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock Trail - Moab