Bianchi 2000 SuperBee Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-5 Air QR20, 4.0" travel fork

Submitted by Darren a Weekend Warrior from San Bruno, CA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Strengths:    Light, great Marzocchi Z5 Bomber Flylight fork, Hayes Disc Brakes, sharp looking

Weaknesses:    You got me ....

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy, linebacker type .... 6'2" 240 pounds of muscle and I am always concerned about tearing up bikes ...this bike is so smooth and does the XC's and the DH's with no problems. Great bike if you want to do different types of riding. Everytime I go biking people stop and look at my bike with their mouths wide open .... I put a lot of research into this bike and I made the right choice.

Favorite Trail:   Sweeney Ridge/Baquiano

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   My first serious bike

Bike Setup:   See above for the important things

Submitted by C a Weekend Warrior from Denver Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Great components on a solid italian frame

Weaknesses:    Headset & bottom bracket could be better.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2001 model...

I was looking for a solid XC hardtail that can handle occasional DH/freeride. Bianchi Superbee was the ticket. Light enough for XC and suitable for moderate DH. I swapped the stock MotoRaptor 2.4 to 2.1 tires and saved almost a pound. It now weighs in at around 26.5 lb, which is not bad at all for a XC/freeriding bike.

Components mix is great. Marzochi Z3 is very fluid. Magura disc brakes has excellent modulation and really effortless braking. WTB wheels/tires are sturdy. And of course, the frame (MegaPro downtube, boxed rear section, etc) is one solid built. Looks sharp too.

O.K., I should stop here. 5 flaming chilis!

Favorite Trail:   Most frontrange singletracks, and Moab..

Bike Setup:   Stock setup (2001 model), i.e. Z3 fork, Magura discs, WTB hubs/rims/tires, Titec bars/stems/post, Raceface crank, SRAM 9.0

Submitted by Vladimir Staffa a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2001

Strengths:    Nice spec's, excellent geometry - what else You want ?

Bottom Line:
This bike is more freeride bike due to shorter toptube and chain/seat stays - which makes it very nimble and alive and adds better maneuverability, also has higher placed bottom bracket 310 mm, short stem and risers. Even I've ridden thjis bike less than 1 month I have to add that almost each day and hard...
and I can't complain about anything.
I highly reccomand for freeride/XC enthusiast who doesn't want to pay just 1500 for frame only and after all get the same quality riding...
Bianch rules !

Purchased At:   Turin Bikes

Similar Products Used:   FORT bikes, Marin hardtails ...

Bike Setup:   Bomber Z3 100 mm oil, RaceFace Prodigy crank, Sram 9.0 ESP SL, Magura Clara hydraulics brakes, WTB wheelset with 2.4 inch Motoraptor tires

Submitted by Bob Trowe a Weekend Warrior from Westminster, CO. USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent climber, parts level/price, light, fast, stable, predictable

Weaknesses:    I cannot get the grips to stick to the coating on the Titec bar.

Bottom Line:
Sweet bike. I had a '96 Kona Kula which I absolutely loved..and then it got stolen. I looked at the new Kula's and while they are sweet, the SuperBee spoke to me. The fit finish quality is what you would expect from a Bianchi..top notch. The almost complete absense of Shimano parts was nice too. I am still playing with the fork, but it works like a dream, smooth and supple.
This bike is sooo sweet it is totally makeing my poor technique appearant. If you are a big rider who wants something to hold up rather than just be the lightest thing on the block...this bike is an excellent choice. And it is not heavy by anymeans..but it is appearant where they opted for beefing it up rather than shaving every ounce...something I like very much. If you are looking for that cross coutnry bike where every ounce means seconds in a race...then skip it...this truelly is a free rider...

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kula

Bike Setup:   Still bone stock

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Strengths:    Bianchi quality (FORZA ITALIA!), incredible value because of lack of name/mtb association, Way cool looking.

Weaknesses:    Really hard to find. Most Bianchi dealers only carry the roadies.

Bottom Line:
I'm new to serious riding having just moved from NYC to SF (from MTB hell to MTB heaven) and wanted to upgrade my old Bianchi Nyala to something I could head up to the Headlands with and grow into. Wow did I get the right bike! I looked at the above bikes (all excellent bikes) and found a '99 SuperBee on sale and couldn't pass it up. It has all the features of a top of the line hardtail at an amazing price ($900).

The 2000 Bee is even hotter w/Hayes disk brakes, SRAM derailleurs, a Z5 QR20, etc. but I didn't need that stuff. It cost $1,295 on sale and flew out the door too. Definitely worth searching for when they close out the 2000s. I can't imagine how Bianchi will improve on it for '01. The Marozocchi is SMOOTH and not spec'd on anything in this class. It totally smokes the Judy's and Manitous on the others. I had to crank the preload way up to climb but then again I really don't know what I'm doing yet. The frame is top quality American Easton Aluminum and everything just fits right they way you would expect from fine Italian craftsmanship. Similar bikes from GFisher (XCaliber), GT (Zaskar), Spec (StumpJ), Trek (8500) et.al.run at least $1700 without the Bianchi panache.

The last thing I have to mention is that it is soooo cool looking. Sort of a psychedelic interpretation of traditional Bianchi green metallic (a bit more lime than Celeste) with blue lettering and '70s style script "Superbee" with a funky cartoon bee under the seat post(ala the VooDoo skull). The Z3 is fire engine red with matching Ritchey pedals, very cool contrast. The 2000 is a more bumblebee yellow metallic with black letters. Still cool but not quite as Bianchi-looking.

All told, a totally awesome bike (to borrow some CA lingo). Now I need to learn how to ride this thing the way it deserves to be ridden.

Favorite Trail:   ????

Similar Products Used:   Kona Caldera, Spec. Stumpjumper, GT Avalanche, Marin Indian Trail, Rocky Mtn. Hammer Race

Bike Setup:   Stock - Marzocchi Z3LT(100), Deore LT & XT, RockShox seatpost, WTB wheelset

Submitted by Aaron Bianco a Downhiller from Upton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2000

Strengths:    Every thing, All of it is great

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! I would tell any free rider, hard rider, even cross country rider to purchas it, is fast stiff and you wont get the parts it has and how good it is anywhere else for the price

Favorite Trail:   whitmans Path