Avanti 2000 Hammer Hardtail Bike

4.44/5 (16 Reviews)

• Front Shock Manitou Magnum R TPC
  • Shimano Deore LX
  • Shimano Deore V-Brakes or Shimano XT Hydraulic Discs and Calipers Levers Shimano Deore
  • Rims Mavic X221 Double Wall CNC Side Wall

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by BilliBob a Cross Country Rider from Cooma, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Strengths:    Great brush finish, nice geometry, quite light and strong, disc option also on V brake frame.
    XT 755, 4 pot brakes on a XC bike at this price!

Weaknesses:    Weak deraileur hanger, low spec fork, cheap headset, bad chain gave chain suck. LX model chain CN72 (bad rivets) was replaced with CN73 and then perfect.

Bottom Line:
    I have had 2 of these, 1 disc version and 1 V-brake.
    The disc frame bent in the rear triangle and was replaced under warranty. I sold the V brake one but still have the replacement frame as a commuter bike. The replacement frame was even better and a higher level, stronger rear mech hanger, beter rear gussets! It was basically the 2002 blue hammer frame but as a brush finish.

Avanti were nice to deal with.

It still cleans up perfect because the brush finish does not show up any scratches.

When you buying a bike it is also the service of the shop and brand your buying. Most frames and parts come from same factory with different stickers, its the after sales you need to consider also.

They just don't make em like this anymore!

Favorite Trail:   Cascade Fire trail, Thredbo

Purchased At:   Sydney

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, Giant NRS.

Bike Setup:   Changed forks immediately to SX-R Manitou, much better.
    Still LX/XT but new 952 XTR rear mech and hanger.
    New tyres: Panaracer FireXC PRo BLUE.

Submitted by Chris B a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Strengths:    NOTE I HAVE THE 2001 MODEL, BASICALLY IDENTICAL, EXCEPT THE SHOCKS ARE Z5's.

It is a good bike, not out of place going racing or just mucking around on.

Weaknesses:    Factory stem is short and steep, giving the bike a very un-racer geometry. Replace this and it is much better. The headset all so appears to have non stainless bearings in it, had to put a new headset in after 12 months.

Bottom Line:
    Great bike. The latest version has an integrated headset, so I won't be buying Avanti again. Once I got the geometry sorted, and replaced the headset, it became a great bike.

My next bike will most likely be another hardtail, but a lighter bike, more along the lines of the Competitor.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Pack n Pedal Botany, Auckland

Bike Setup:   Replaced both derailuers, handle bars, seat, seat post, wheels, brakes, cranks, cassette, bottom bracket ... the only original things now are the frame, fork and shifters.

Submitted by keith S a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2001

Strengths:    built strong, disc brakes, polished frame looks great

Weaknesses:    tyres are crap, unforgiving seat

Bottom Line:
    I managed to pick this up for $1945 AUD with the disc option, and a pretty good deal at the time. I have to say that I am very happy with it and I am glad I spent a bit more than I was going to originally and got the disc option. I haven't touched these brakes since I got the bike over a year ago and they still work as well as the day I got em.
    All of the hype about disc brakes is justified, in my book anyway.
    Overall the bikes components are as good as you could ask for without going over the top price wise. And the only real problem I have had was with the original chain, which I broke within the first month.
    The frame is built with strenght in mind (not for the weight wankers). I would rather a lug heavier frame around anyway if it means it will last and not flex.
    The only things I would change would firstly be the tyres. They are crap for the type of trails found around Sydney. They will pick up any loose rock and fling it at you and the bike, I almost broke toe after one nasty chunck of sandstone hit me.
    If you're not concerned about weight the seat may look good but after a full day riding it may aswell be a fence paling.
    The front forks are OK but for my build (100Kg) a bit on the soft side.

For the price I paid I am very happy with this bike. But I think with the new frame colours (not as good as the polished frame) and prices (I think they are now $2600) the hammer loses its edge a bit.
    But even at that price it is still a very good bike.

Favorite Trail:   oaks

Purchased At:   Northside chatswood

Bike Setup:   no change from stock setup except bar ends etc

Submitted by Steve "Maddog" Tattam a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, ACT, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    This bike is bloody light in dry weight, which makes for great handling on XC single track (Especially uphill muddy conditions. The 2000 black graphics on steel bruched frame looks great (2001 colour scheme is not so cool). I just completed the 2001 Canberra MONT 24hr XC race (part of a team of 4, some freaks went solo, hats off to them though) and the bike held up really well on the 19.5km circuit. It rained during the night (that really annoying constant light rain) and by midnight the track was equal to sea state five in mud version. Some spots saw mud reach the axals. However, without digressing too much, the hammers light weight and brillant mid level comp deore running gear got my through it with a smile on the other side. The bike carried me most of the night so 500m before the finish line on my second last lap I decided to return the favour and had a run whilst carring the bike. People asked what was going on and I replied, nothings wrong, this bike has been so good to me that I thought I would return the favour. Apart from mud packing preventing use of the front granny wheel every now and then the gearing was spot on (I prefer to use ICE WAX and degrease often on the chain). I also recommend a neoprene chain guard.

I see in the other reviews that people are a little vexed about the chain hitting the derailer when using high or low range, I don't see that as a problem, if the gearing is used correctly. 27 gears are always going to present a little side scrapping at extreme ranging!

Nice to see that the option for disc brakes are there as well.

Weaknesses:    Manitou Magnum R forks are a little below standard, something a little more ballsie would be preferred.

Standard Rims are OK for maybe getting around town, however, for XC I use a QLD companies (Velocity) rim called the "Cliffhanger", it's a great robust rim for XC Mtb'g.

The XO saddle (looks rad) is OK I guess, except after the 24hr race, I felt like I had a massivly distended grapage. I guess yu could always opt for a very uncool soft seat.

Bottom Line:
    I really dig the hell out of this bike, and gets to stay in the corner of my bedroom so I can gaze upon it in the morning and get inspired to go ofor a burl!

And cool dude once said "If you have the means, I highly recommend it!"

If you can still get your hands on a 2000 hammer, go for it!

P.S If some people find the handle bar to high, try turning the KORE stem upside down.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Stromlo, ACT

Purchased At:   Bicycle Super Store, Mitchell, ACT

Similar Products Used:   Giant comp entry bikes.

Submitted by Carrie a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    Rims, Short top tube on woman's frame, fork, cranks, Tires

Weaknesses:    Leaking Judy C Fork!!!!

Bottom Line:
    Cool bike! It is not a huffy like some of you people ride and write about on here. I placed 2nd in my First competition at the Rock and Trot in Greensboro. My bike rules!

Favorite Trail:   Owls Roost, Greensboro NC

Purchased At:   paul's Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   None, Limited to woman's frame design

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Vilgehim a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff reactive frame, very well balanced bike easy to control and throw around. Very light My upgrades transformed this into a much higher end prforming machine. Even looks sharp. LX rear derailleur with deore componentry is all you need as its robust.

Weaknesses:    Standard specialised tyres waste of space, for 80kg up needs firm kit in standard forks. Expected less buckle from mavic rims. 9-speed range creates rub on front derailleur at least somewhere in gear range regardless of adjustment. Not really the bikes fault but Shimano to look at.

Bottom Line:
    Value for money at Aussie exchange rate with US. Riders in US don't know how lucky they are for the variety available to them and at less than half the price we have to pay.
    This bike setup costs me about AUD$ 1,900. imagine what bike you can get for that in US. Well this bike will match its performance.
    I'm also a downhill ski speed freek so I expect the most from my sporting equipment.
    I am throughly impressed with the Avanti Hammer for the money and would recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Oaks in Blue Mts.

Purchased At:   NSW

Similar Products Used:   Avanti-Barracuda, Avanti-Aggressor, Giant-870, Garry fisher-BIG SUR, Diamond Back-Apex, Gunnar-Rockhound, Haro XLS-2.0.

Bike Setup:   Manatou SX-R 2001 forks, Fire XC pro kevlar 2.1 red, Asonic 21.5" riser bars, Deore V-brakes.

Submitted by Andy Singh a Weekend Warrior from VIC

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2001

Strengths:    Extreemly light frame
    Extreemly Quite and smooth
    Handles very well
    Best Disc brakes in the world!!!!

Weaknesses:    Chain hits frame when landing off jumps! A simple padding can be baught to wrap around frame. = Sweet!!!

Bottom Line:
    A very responive bike!
    Looks awsome!
    Handles very well

BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER RIDDEN!

Favorite Trail:   anything challenging!

Purchased At:   VIC MTB

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX .......... many!

Bike Setup:   XT Hubs
    XT Hydrolic Brakes
    XT rear deralier
    deore cranks

Submitted by Vladimir a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff frame, value for money forks with firm kit a must

Weaknesses:    Have to get used to brushed finish, specialised tyres ordinary. Minimal colour choice. Not all colours (or lack of colour)attracts different people.

Bottom Line:
    Great value from down under. As others say to those up the top end of the world "check out these great NZ bikes"
    If your looking for a name to make you look good then stay at home. Avanti is already starting to make a statement around the world.
    Much prefer 2000 models, have seen the 2001 pro range and not impressed at all. The new colours of V-brake models look sad. 2000 competitor was a great blue 2001 is cream! Perhaps their going for the retro look.

Favorite Trail:   Snowy Mts. Thredbo

Similar Products Used:   Avanti Aggressor-disk, Wheeler with old Marzzochi forks, Garry Fisher Big Sur

Bike Setup:   Basically std, V-brake, Panaracer Fire XC pro, Riser bars, Firm kit in Manatou Magnum R forks. Considered Manatou Magnum SX or Bomber Z4 upgrade when purchaced but satisfied for the money.

Submitted by Amandeep Sethi a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, VIC, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Strengths:    Awsome braking power, Light weight, No flex, very stable handling! & Looks sexy! P.S: The stainless steel hydrolic brake cable doesnt do anything to the bike as long as its covered with the plastic tubing!

Weaknesses:    Rear feels a little hard. Maybe thats why they call it a hard tail! Plastic tubing around brake cable makes it hard to fit on a bike rack cause the tube is oversized anyway.

Bottom Line:
    The frame is pretty much bullet proof! XT Disc brakes are the best I have ever used! Suspension could be a little better
    Overall for the price its a AWSOME value! A little more expensive for XT's

If u want to get the best without going overboard! Change the Rear derailier to XT too! Leave the cranks as is! There good enough!

A great bike for a rough and demanding MTB'er!

Favorite Trail:   I wish I had one!

Purchased At:   VIC MTB

Similar Products Used:   Avanti..., Giant ATX's...

Bike Setup:   Avanti Hammer: Shimano Hyd XT Disc, Deore components.
    Giant ATX: Avid cable Disc's are very good! The only type of disc brake i would buy if I had to get cable activated ones.

Submitted by Sticks a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Strengths:    love the front shocks & Kore headset. Very light and smooth to ride. Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    i'm yet to get the LX rear derailer to work properly.

Bottom Line:
    I've only had it for a little while but already love it. It has great components for the price. A bargain in my mind.

Similar Products Used:   Avanti Aggressor

Submitted by Damien McIntosh a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Looks great. Stiff as hell. Good components for the price. Great acceleration.

Weaknesses:    Still getting use to the seat.

Bottom Line:
    This is my second MTB I own. I also have a 1991 GT and this Avanti kicks its' butt. So much lighter, stronger with no flex.
    The forks are great and the components meet my needs for reliable blasts through the country side on the weekends.

The Hammer with the V brakes is a great package for the price. Highly recommend it as a mid-price/mid-spec machine.

Purchased At:   Strathpine Bicycle Centre

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX 860

Bike Setup:   Standard at the moment. The version with the V brakes.

Submitted by David Naftzger a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2000

Strengths:    The bike is really stiff, so you bash down on the pedals and it just takes off no flex at all.
    The disc brakes make this bike a dream; I ride every weekend and everyday to work. These brakes have saved me numerous times on the trail and road; I recommend the disc brake to anyone. The cost is a bit steep, with them coming on the bike saved me so dosh.
    The bike is primarily Australian built, some frames are made in Asia. The welding is great and the bike is well speced. All Shimano and Magnum R shock.
    This bike is my first serious MTB that I have owned and I really like it.
    I would recommend it for someone who wants to spend 2500 AUD and want a pretty serious cross-country bike.

Weaknesses:    The bike is maybe a little bit heavier than the Giant 890 but I think the extra strength of the frame is a fair trade off.
    The rear is a bit stiff I think a wider tire might help soften this but I have yet to try it.

Bottom Line:
    The bike has performed well on the road and off; the upgrade to the disc brakes is worth it. However I think the price has gone up since I bought this bike probably due to the low Aussie dollar. This may brings some other bike into competition with it.
    At the end of the day it is an Australian/NZ product that is an equal or above most of the foreign bike that are in the same range, well worth a look.

Favorite Trail:   Any where in the Blue mountains

Purchased At:   Wooleys wheels Padington

Similar Products Used:   Giant 890

Bike Setup:   The only modification I have made is to add some Shimano 545 clipless pedals. These were my first clip in pedals so I went for a set with normal pedal outside, I think they are great.

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2000

Strengths:    Good and reliable equipment specs, handles well and good looks. XT disc option is great value and a wise upgrade. Bike is easily upgradable if required.

Weaknesses:    XT disc brakes take a while to wear in before optimum braking performance is achieved. Brakes also had a substantial amount of drag.

Bottom Line:
    It took me a while to find a bike which not only was decent, but also was appealing to the eye. For a long term investment, take up the XT disc brake option and upgrade the rest of the components later(not a huge upgrade). A fork upgrade will give the bike better handling and a suspension seatpost is also a good idea for personal comfort. Ride the bike hard to discover the bikes full potential and limitations.

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX 860

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne Australia

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    Quality components, strong and light frame, decent front fork, good looks, handles and accelerates very well

Weaknesses:    I broke the LX chain 3 weeks after I purchased it, but after my dealer changed the link, I haven't had any problems.

Bottom Line:
    Absolutely fantastic bike for the money. Besdies the chain, I haven't had any problems with it. I love the handling and acceleration and the comfort of the cockpit. I have the stadndard Deore V brakes (my budget didn't stretch to the XT discs)and I have plenty of stopping power now that the rims have broken in. For the weekend rider such as myself, or even a novice cross country racer, there isn't another hard tail in its price range that can touch it.

Similar Products Used:   I compared the Hammer Pro to the Giant ATX 860, but the superior spec and ride quality of the Avanti won me over.

Bike Setup:   Pizazz bar ends,Cateye Enduro computer and Kool Stop thinline (red) brake pads.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2000

Strengths:    Bomb proof. Strong frame. XT btrakes the best. Specialised tyres.

Weaknesses:    Seat feels uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
    Bought this bike firstly for XT disc brakes. Happy with whole package Not disappointed. Overall bike really rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Oaks Firetrail, Blue Mountains