Argon 18 MTB-3DB Hardtail Bike

• HAYES hydraulique disc brakes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by The rad one a Racer from Mont-Tremblant

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Strengths:    Agile climber , Finesse rider will love the feel of this frameset as it's really stable at low super technical trail speeds . Descent downhiller lacks quickness in the steering departement for tight switchbacks . nice clean tig welds .

Weaknesses:    The front end can get a little loose if you ride the set-up I use (x-vert super 01)at high speeds .

Bottom Line:
    Good value right off the bat and good parts as a stock bike
    (Moonracer) I think that it's worth putting a bit more travel in front to really appreciate what this hardtail can run you trough . The ideal buyer is definetly finess x-c rider or racer with an attitude .

Favorite Trail:   Too many to chose from

Purchased At:   www.cyberbikeshop.com

Bike Setup:   Shimano XTR BB,crankset,brake and shifter levers,front and back deraillers.Mavic mx 601 rear hub laced with tied and soldered titanium spokes . Dt front hub disc with hayes mechanical 2001 disc brake . 2001 Manitou X-vert super with TI springs .

Submitted by Simon a Racer from Rimouski, Quebec

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2000

Strengths:    Nice light, stiff frame.
    Good value (suggested price is in canadian dollars!!!) with "no-frills" component package. Just things that work well!!
    Lots of colors to chose from.
    Beautifull paint job (send me an e.mail and I'll send you a picture of my bike!).
    Excellent at climbing as well as descending.
    It's made and assembled in Quebec!!!!!!
    Great service from "Cylces gervais Rioux" in Montréal.

Weaknesses:    None so far!!!!

Bottom Line:
    This bike is awesome!!! From the top quality frame (which is beautifully painted!), to the awesome component specs. I got rid of the disks (I prefer Magura rim brakes) and got a light wheelset. This perfectly combines with the frame to make it a lean, mean climbing machine! Total weight: 23.5 lbs. I could surely lose some more weight by losing the Titec stuff, by why change if it works well? The Rock shox SID SL works wonderfully once you get the hang of tuning it. This bike is a natural climber, which is what I wanted (that's where I loose all my time in races!). It actually shaved about 10% of my usual training runs! It descends pretty well too for an XC race bike. The only thing I've tried that climbs better is the Trek OCLV, but for 2500$ Canadian more!!!! I think I made the obvious choice!!!!!

All this to say, this bike is the best investment I've made in years. If you want a great ride, and that is very exclusive (You have better chances of winning the lottery than meeting someone with a bike like yours!!! Especially if you live outside Quebec!) this is the bike for you!!!!!
    You won't be disapointed!

Favorite Trail:   Bromont World Championships course

Similar Products Used:   Devinci Moonracer, Trek 9.9, Yeti ARC hard tail, Chromoly (Tange prestige) XC race bike (my old bike!) All these were tested for a lap or 2 at Bromont, or more in the case of my old bike.

Bike Setup:   Rockshox SID SL fork, XTR rear derailer, XT front, time atac pedals, Titec bar, stem and seatpost, WTB headset, Shimano HG-72 chain.
    My custom changes to the original package: Magura HS-33 brakes, Rolf Propel wheelset, Selle Italia Flite max saddle, Titec shorty bar ends, Raceface turbine LP crank and race rings, XT 11-34 casette, Maxxis Wormdrive tires, Yeti Hardcore grips