Airborne 2001 Lucky Strike Hardtail Bike

4.77/5 (30 Reviews)

• $1530 - $2440
  • You Choose Each Component to Create and Purchase your Dream Bike Online.
  • Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Titanium Frame
  • Multi-shaped Cold Worked Seamless Titanium Tubing
  • Integrated Disc Brake Mount / Machined Head Tube
  • GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) engineered seat and chain stays.
  • Sizes: 14,16,18, 19.5 & 21”

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ryan Reynolds a Weekend Warrior from West Chester, PA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    lightweight for 21", bought used for cheap, still looks great, love the bare ti finish

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    excellent bike, I already have about 200 miles on it in the few weeks since i built it up from the bare frame. Everythign went together perfectly with no problems caused by the frame itself. The ride is wonderful and feels much faster then my previous bikes. Would deffinatly buy another airborne.

Purchased At:   mtbr

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC DS2, nytex sioux carbon, jamis komodo

Bike Setup:   21" luky strike, full xt drivetrain with sioux carbon cranks and race face rings, race face taperlock bb, formula evoluzione discs, Z4 flylight air, xt disc hub on sun ds2 rims, titec/DEAN ti post/bar/stem

Submitted by Peter Hughes a Cross Country Rider from Verwood, Dorset, UK

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    Amazing Lucky strike frame, fantastic quality, looks, and neat welding. Bike very stiff, and responsive on all terrain.

Weaknesses:    None I built it exactly as I wanted it.
    Airborne transfers look a little tatty, I spoke to Airborne they refurbish their frames at a cost, and replace transfers.

Bottom Line:
    You really can't grumble at Airborne frames, £ for £, or I guess $ for $ they're unbeatable.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood Forest. Verwood to Stonehenge

Purchased At:   Lots of places

Similar Products Used:   Merlin WCS

Bike Setup:   19" Lucky Strike frame. XTR mechs fr/rear,XT mega9 groupset, San Marco SLR saddle, easton MG60/EA50, Renthal sub130g bars,Pace RC36 EVO III forks, Mavic X517 rims

Submitted by Brennan a Cross Country Rider from Groton, CT

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Strengths:    Customer Service
    Bike Customability
    Frame strength to weight
    Complete bike value

Weaknesses:    No SRAM options anymore.

Bottom Line:
    Great customer service as almost everyone has said before. I am a larger rider, 6'5" 215 lbs, and was skeptical of buying online before riding. I did plenty of research and asked around and finally purchased. The assembly process was the only semi-questionable aspect of the whole purchase. The Airborne seatpost that I originally received could not be tightened enough at the saddle. I called them up and they sent me another one. No questions. New one has worked great and took my abuse. Some of the drivetrain needed to be tuned, but I was replacing the Shifters with SRAM components anyways so it wasn't a big deal.

The ride is great. The thing climbs and descends wonderfully. It doesn't whine when I take the wrong line.

Research what your getting. Know what you actually need, not the flashiest parts. Then go ride and not let it sit in your living room as a coversation piece.

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   XT package. Sun Ryno lite rims w. XTR hub, Panaracer tires,
    V-brakes. Avid brake lever, SRAM shifters, Chris king headset, Raceface bar & stem, RS Duke SL.

Submitted by Alain a Cross Country Rider from Concord, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2001

Strengths:    Being able to customize the bike was a plus. Good price for a Ti bike. Good quality welding.

Bottom Line:
    Within a couple of days my order was followed by a call from Airborne to double-check the size and the components chosen. About 5 working days later the bike was delivered. I was very impressed with the customer service and the speedy delivery. The bike was well assembled and didn't need to be tuned before the ride. The pressure in the fork was set-up for my weight(200 lbs).
    The first ride(and all the ones after...) was incredible. The bike is a rocket up or down hills. I found myself climbing the same hills with a couple of gears left on the cassette. The steering is precise, a very good climber and also just a beautiful bike to look at.
    I was nervous about ordering without trying at first, but I had such a good experience that I will recomend Airborne to anyone serious about riding.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Diablo, Black Diamond Mines

Price Paid:    $2085.00

Purchased At:   Airborne.net

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 857
    K2 4000

Bike Setup:   All XT, fork Duke SL, Kore Lite stem and seat post, Shimano M535(not the lightest but strong for my weight)

Submitted by John Sulouff a Cross Country Rider from Naples,Fl.

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Strengths:    Everything,it's more bike than I wished for.Great frame and the XT parts go togeather like a hand & glove.

Weaknesses:    None found

Bottom Line:
    I'll add to this later, as for now most of my rides are under 10 miles.But as I get stronger I'm sure the bike will be as good in the miles ahead as it is now

Favorite Trail:   ANY

Purchased At:   AIRBORNE DIRECT

Similar Products Used:   None,for the last 15 years the only bike I rode was a exercise in my bedroom with a air hose giving me 6 Ltrs. of air a min.(emphysema).Iwas very lucky to receive a lung transplant in May of this year.This bike is clearly a lot more fun then my last one

Bike Setup:   19"Lucky Strike frame with all XT parts

Submitted by TOM MARROW a Cross Country Rider from WIMBERLEY, TX

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Strengths:    Outstanding value. Being able to customize componets on the website with price & weight info. Quality workmanship in smooth, strong welds. Great comfort and control of Ti ride.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
    Customer service at Airborne Direct was friendly and knowledgeable. Anthony at University Cyclery was easy to work with and set up my bike exactly the way I wanted it with no hassle at all. I was allowed 10 days to evaluate the bike at no risk, but knew I would keep it after 10 minutes. I have been able to ride faster and farther with more confidence of control than on any other bike I have ridden.[My other 3 bikes have been gathering cobwebs since I got the Lucky Strike.]

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   University Cyclery-Austin,Tx

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jeckel 2000, Specialized Rockhopper A1-FS

Bike Setup:   All XT, Easton monkey lite riser bars, Duke SL, Thompson post

Submitted by charles a Weekend Warrior from nyc ny

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Strengths:    reasonable price,good selection of components,nice lines on frame,no hassle purchase,

Weaknesses:    unable to take to lbs for adjustment, or problems must be settled on-line or telephone. ordering can be stressful wondering how bike will come and buying w/o seeing. alot of reviews written by others are highly naive, and some don't want to admit an purchase error.

Bottom Line:
    i like the bike and ride it and commute in nyc daily. it is a pretty bike and when non-riders see it they always complement me on how pretty the bike is. but, today there are excellent dual suspension rides in the same price/weight category, and also with a little research other ti hardtails on sale for the same price. not a bad bike i do like mine, not the best value anymore, and i personally was not happy with the customer service policy. READ AND UNDERSTAND YOUR RETURN AND EXCHANGE POLICY. sorry if this review is not as jolly as the others, just being totally honest

Purchased At:   on-line

Similar Products Used:   owned litespeed and also gary fisher sugar 1. always hanging out by my pld shop and tried numerous others.

Bike Setup:   all lx except upgrade on crank, handlebar, and seat. added 1.5 inch semi slicks for city and manitou mars c.

Submitted by cc wilson III a Weekend Warrior from atlanta

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Strengths:    Great bike, nice lines, good handling and their customeer service is top-notch.

Weaknesses:    Frame decs (Airborne logo, bombs on top tube and Varga girl near head tube) are wearing off.
    Other than that, great ride.

Bottom Line:
    For the price and lack of instant gratification by not buying in bike shop, it's the best deal out there.
    Ordering online was never easier- customer service made it all worthwhile.

Favorite Trail:   bear creek, Kokopelli

Purchased At:   airborne.net

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Independent, Caloi

Bike Setup:   All XTR and Race Face. Kovachi Rhyno lites w/XTR hubs, Thomson stem and seatpost.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    Can't beat the price for a quality Ti frame.
    (Price shown was for a complete XT/XTR bike.)

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike for my wife, who is a serious rider.
    (We did part of the Great Divide Trail last summer.)
    The Airbourne website made spec'ing & ordering the bike
    really easy, with a good selection of components to
    choose from. The bike arrived on time, and the build job
    was first rate -- I've built a lot of bikes, and they did
    all the little things that matter to us anal types ;-)
    My wife is rather petite, and the 14" frame fits her
    great -- it's nice to see a company that really does adjust
    geometry to fit rider size. I've definitely seen
    prettier welds on higher $$ boutique frames, but
    Airborne has the nicest welds I've seen on a
    production frame.

My only criticism is that their website seems to be
    getting overly complicated and slooooooowwwwwww lately.
    But that doesn't affect the ride ;-)

Also wish I could get some replacement decals, by
    Airborne tech support says they're not available
    separately.

Price Paid:    $1993.00

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Giant, Bridgestone, Moots

Bike Setup:   XT group with XTR brakes, Icon stem, Kore bar, Z2 Atom Bomb

Submitted by Joe a Racer from Columbus, GA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2001

Strengths:    Great ride, point and go. Rides like it is on a rail

Weaknesses:    Could not find any to talk about

Bottom Line:
    Would recommend to friends

Similar Products Used:   Titus cuctum racer

Submitted by Dominik a Cross Country Rider from Salzburg

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Strengths:    bomb proof, uphill perf., nice finish and of course
    price/value ratio of Ti-frame

Weaknesses:    some decals peel off, but well...
    a quick release for the seatpost would be a great deal.

Bottom Line:
    Just returned from a 4-day trip in southern alps between
    italy and austria with lots of hard downhill and plenty
    of carrying up the mountains.
    it responds to each input and makes you confident throughout
    the downhill.
    going up the mountain it is smooth and you even won't mind
    sitting in the saddle for more than 5 hrs.
    great deal for marathon and touring.

Purchased At:   Airborne

Similar Products Used:   IBIS Mojo steel

Bike Setup:   LS 21", XT, Syncros, King Headset, Z2, Syntace and Magura HS33

Submitted by Godspeed Burning Wheels a Weekend Warrior from Dayton Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    Ti at a great price, need I say more! The Lucky Strike is far better than I will ever be. It handles like a Ferrari on a slot car track. I loved working directly with the builder, as their committment to the customer is first rate. Airborne built the bike for me, and it is no less than perfect. I chose all the components I wanted and they slammed them onto the bike for me. Their customer service is what all companies should strive for! The Lucky Strike craftsmanship is flawless. The welds were smooth and uniform. The stiff frame absorbes all the trash. The geometry is awesome and enables this beast to climb over tall building in a single bound.

Weaknesses:    Say What, Ya gotta be kidding?
    None - Nada - Zero - Zip - Zilch - 0

Bottom Line:
    I had never laid eyes on an Airborne Lucky Strike until I got mine and now I am in love at first sight! The Lucky Strike should be called "Superbike" "It's faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. Able to climb tall buildings in a single bound --- 'Look, up the trail,' 'It's a F-22 Raptor,' 'It's a Top Fuel Funny Car,' 'It's' an Offroad Ferrari,' It's Superbike....' "
    Why would you want anything else, this bike does it all. The Airborne Company is First Class, The Customer Service is First Class, & The Bike is First Class! "If you want to fly with the Eagles you can’t run with the turkeys, you've got to get Airborne sooner or later!"
    I am giving it 5 Chilis because I can't give it 10 Chilis!

Favorite Trail:   Ceasars Creek

Purchased At:   www.Airborne.net

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Big Sur & Others

Bike Setup:   16" Frame-XTR all the way & every day-Bontrager RaceLite Wheelset-Ritchey WCS Speedmax Tires-Butyl Ultra Lite Tubes-Chris King Headset-Race Face Stem & Handlebar-Airborne's Ti Seatpost & Octagon Joy Styx Long Bar Ends & 6/4 Titanium Skewers-Selle Italia Flite Saddle-2001 Rock Shox SID SL 63/80mm-Speedplay Frog Ti Clipless Pedals-Cuissi Stainless Steel Water Bottle Cages-Oh Yeah Its Xtra Light at 22.3#

Submitted by Maxime Marchand a Weekend Warrior from La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    This is a real great bike!!! The best i've tried since I'm ridin. You can build your own bike on their web site, you choose every components and you buy directly from the dealer, so the price could'nt be better. I was havin' a little trouble with a weel, and it did'nt took time and they did somethin for me... I realy enjoy ride with this bike cause it's as stiff a I want a bike and it's also well build strong , beautifull and comfortable!

Weaknesses:    Only the fact that it takes a little bit of time cause i'm far when I've got a problem with it, but, It almost never appends and they are really there for you!

Bottom Line:
    TTTTTTHe ONE and only you can own!

Purchased At:   web

Similar Products Used:   No one, nothing can be compared to this beast.XT FC-M751 Crankset, 22-32-44T, 175mm
    Bottom Bracket
    Chain 2001 Shimano XT CN-HG92 9spd Chain
    Rear Derailleur 2001 Shimano XTR RD-M952 Rear Derailleur (Conventional Spring)
    Front Derailleur 2001 Shimano Deore LX FD-M570 Front Derailleur
    Integrated & Separate Shift Levers 2001 Shimano Deore XT ST-M750 9spd Rapid-Fire Integrated Shift Levers
    Separate Brake Levers Brake Lever MTB None
    Brakes 2001 Avid Mechanical Disc Brake System, INCLUDES Avid SD 5 Levers
    Cable Sets: Brake & Derailleur Airborne MTB Flyte Line, Teflon Cable & Housing System
    Cassette 2001 Shimano XT CS-M750-9 (11,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32)
    Wheel Set Ritchey Pro DISC OCR Wheelset, 32/32 907g/1120g Black
    Front Tire WTB Nanoraptor, Kevlar, Black Sidewall, Black Tread, 2.10", 52/47
    Rear Tire WTB Nanoraptor, Kevlar, Black Sidewall, Black Tread, 2.10", 52/47
    Tubes Butyl Standard, 26 x 1.95-2.10" Presta Valve
    Headset WTB Momentum Grease Guard, Threadless Alloy Headset, Black
    Headset Spacers Alloy Headset Spacer 25.0mm, Black
    Stem 2001 Kore Lite 3, Alloy, Removable Face, 105mm Extension, 10° Rise, Black
    Handle Bar Bontrager Super Stock 6061 Alloy Handlebar, 580mm Length, 5° Bend, Black
    Bar Ends Airborne Octagon Joy Styx, Long Titanium Bar Ends
    Handle Bar Grips WTB Trail Grip, Dual Compound, Black base with Clear Contact, 125mm
    Seat Post Kore Lite 2, Cold Forged Alloy Seat Post, 380mm Length, Bead Blast Black
    Saddle WTB, Speed V Saddle, Cromoly Rails, with Love Channel
    Fork 2002 Rock Shox JUDY XC, 80mm All Travel, Hydra Coil-Air Assist, Cro-Moly, Silver

Bike Setup:   Frame Set 2001 Lucky Strike 3AL / 2.5V Titanium MTB Frame, 18"
    Cranks Set 2001 Shimano Deore

Submitted by G Fox a Racer from Cheshire, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent Price to Value ratio. Quick, yet stable handling, light weight without compromising durability.

Weaknesses:    I have long legs so the seat tube is actually a bit short so I need to have a lot of seatpost exposed which has a bit of flex.

Bottom Line:
    The bike handles perfectly for my type of New England racing with lots of tight single-track, rocks, roots, and mud. Climbs well, and with it's light weight (22.5 lbs)can accelerate very quickly. The only complaint I've got is that the seat tube seems a bit short for me. The next larger frame size was too big. Not a big deal at all. Overall, the bike has served me well for over 2 years and I've traveled extensively with it.

Favorite Trail:   Whakkarewarewa Forest, New Zealand

Purchased At:   Airborne Direct

Bike Setup:   All XTR, Flite saddle, Thomson Elite seatpost, Easton Carbon handlebar, Manitou Carbon fork, Sram shifters, Mavic 517's with IRC Mythos

Submitted by James Thilmany a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Strengths:    Titanium frame with cold worked tubes.

Weaknesses:    Slight creaking from the bottom bracket area.

Bottom Line:
    I have owned the bike for 2 3/4 years. I have used for off road riding and trail riding, as well as my commuter bike. The finish of the frame is a good satin finish which hides slight scratches, but looks good. The only noticable things that I have noticed about the bike is a slight craking from the bottom bracket area under hard acceleration. I am 6'-2" and weigh 185 lbs. I feel that riding it daily to work and on weekend rides helps me build up my leg strength and endurance. I have pannier bags and a middle bag with rack attached to the bike and the extra weight has not affected the frame in any way.
    Airborne has produced a very good product that for the money is very hard to beat. The finish and welds might not be the same a Litespeed (my road bike) but it performs about as well.
    For the almost three years that I have been riding it it has been great and my friends still say it is one of the better looking bikes that they see.
    If you are looking for a titanium framed bicycle you should look at an Airborne. It is a hard bargain to beat.

Favorite Trail:   DesPlaines River Trail